Author Topic: AI-Generated Portrait Sells For $432,500 At Auction  (Read 509 times)

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
AI-Generated Portrait Sells For $432,500 At Auction
« on: October 26, 2018, 11:37:37 PM »
"A portrait created by an artificial intelligence brought in $432,500 at Christie's in New York on Thursday in what was the first piece of computer-generated artwork for sale by a major auction house." (v. https://goo.gl/H81K7J)

Where have I seen this artist's work before?...  Ah!

Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
Re: AI-Generated Portrait Sells For $432,500 At Auction
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 07:56:23 AM »
A fool and his money are soon parted.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 09:06:18 AM »
I like my art in museums; it's a lot cheaper there.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 10:50:47 AM »
I wouldn't classify them as fools. This is the foundation of advanced intelligence beyond human intellect. The beast of revelation is what they are building.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 11:33:17 AM »
I wouldn't classify them as fools. This is the foundation of advanced intelligence beyond human intellect. The beast of revelation is what they are building.
How are you defining human intellect?

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 11:34:14 AM »
One word. Prediction!

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• Goths and rivetheads are entering the Kingdom of God before me
  • OC.net guru
  • Screwing up the Church since 2017
  • Jurisdiction: ruins of Constantinople, Met. of Atlanta
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 12:06:25 PM »
Can we get another AI built that correctly tells everyone what they really should have paid for this thing?
Too many theologists, not enough theologians.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 12:24:51 PM »
One word. Prediction!
That's a sadly and severely limited definition.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 12:43:02 PM »
One word. Prediction!
Not really.  Everything a person does is a direct result of a prediction. Whoever predicts best is more intelligent.  Study, memory and other virtues are all geared towards a better prediction.  That is precisely why an AI will one day rule the world.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 12:43:40 PM by Tzimis »

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 12:49:27 PM »
One word. Prediction!
Not really.  Everything a person does is a direct result of a prediction. Whoever predicts best is more intelligent.  Study, memory and other virtues are all geared towards a better prediction.  That is precisely why an AI will one day rule the world.
Interesting.  I guess I have a broader understanding of "human intellect," as something that's not quite contained by the physical.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 01:08:43 PM »
One word. Prediction!
Interesting.  I guess I have a broader understanding of "human intellect," as something that's not quite contained by the physical.
Well. Lets look at it in detail. When a person decides to move. They are predicting there next move. Take a staircase for example.  When we walk foward we are predicting our next step. Not only that, but all the functions we take for granted.  Like how high do we have to lift, how much force to lift , how much foward motion.  A simple step isn't really that simple.  Is it? Its based on a prediction.  Just like every other decision made in life.
The one who can master a prediction is the one with more intelligents. When we decide to put out faith in a computer.  We are essentially allowing someone other than ourselves to make a decision.  Nothing more than an Oracle.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 01:32:04 PM »
One word. Prediction!
Well. Lets look at it in detail. When a person decides to move. They are predicting there next move. Take a staircase for example.  When we walk foward we are predicting our next step. Not only that, but all the functions we take for granted.  Like how high do we have to lift, how much force to lift , how much foward motion.  A simple step isn't really that simple.  Is it? Its based on a prediction.  Just like every other decision made in life.
The one who can master a prediction is the one with more intelligents. When we decide to put out faith in a computer.  We are essentially allowing someone other than ourselves to make a decision.  Nothing more than an Oracle.
I'm not looking to be convinced or to convince.  We differ.  It's probably ok.  :)  My definition includes not only those subconscious assessments you describe, but emotion, creativity, spirituality--essentially the intangible part of us that I think our brain is designed to process and materialize.  If computers can acquire that, then I don't see how we're formed in the Image of God, nor why Christ Incarnated.  But we're defining our terms differently from the start, anyway.

massive thread derailment ftw.  Sorry. 

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 01:40:41 PM »
People have been enjoying crappy art for a long time, so AI wins with that solid prediction. 

Skynet, activate.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 01:45:15 PM »
One word. Prediction!
I'm not looking to be convinced or to convince.  We differ.  It's probably ok.  :)  My definition includes not only those subconscious assessments you describe, but emotion, creativity, spirituality--essentially the intangible part of us that I think our brain is designed to process and materialize.  If computers can acquire that, then I don't see how we're formed in the Image of God, nor why Christ Incarnated.  But we're defining our terms differently from the start, anyway.

massive thread derailment ftw.  Sorry. 
I dont think those things matter when one is concerned with ruling the world.  Sure in a virtuous world they do, but not everybody is focused on virtue.  They are focused on control.  To reiterate.  Intelligence is the ability to forecast the future favorably. And the means to change its course in fluid motion.  So time and space correlate with vision.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 07:14:23 PM »
Nobody can forecast the future.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2018, 07:56:38 PM »
People do it every day.  When you reach for a glass of water. You are forecasting.  Your mind is trying to determine distance before you reach. The grabbing power you will use to clench,  and the speed you will lift. All variables in the equation of forcasting.  The difficulty comes when forcasting a few steps ahead.  ;)

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 12:37:28 AM »
Can we get another AI built that correctly tells everyone what they really should have paid for this thing?
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 12:57:06 AM »
People do it every day.  When you reach for a glass of water. You are forecasting.  Your mind is trying to determine distance before you reach. The grabbing power you will use to clench,  and the speed you will lift. All variables in the equation of forcasting.  The difficulty comes when forcasting a few steps ahead.  ;)

Nonsense. Ever heard of proprioceptors?
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2018, 08:37:52 AM »

A sixth sense is your reply? You really have a limited knowledge of the mechanics it takes to move forward into time. Something everybody does every moment. Moving forward into time, means analyzing out actions prier to completion. A preanalytics is involved for our intellect to route the most favorable outcome. We are constantly guessing and planning at future results. This is where intellect is represented par excellence.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 08:43:27 AM by Tzimis »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2018, 09:07:14 AM »

A sixth sense is your reply? You really have a limited knowledge of the mechanics it takes to move forward into time. Something everybody does every moment. Moving forward into time, means analyzing out actions prier to completion. A preanalytics is involved for our intellect to route the most favorable outcome. We are constantly guessing and planning at future results. This is where intellect is represented par excellence.

Here, let me help you:

Proprioception (/ˌproʊprioʊˈsɛpʃən, -priə-/[1][2] PRO-pree-o-SEP-shən), from Latin proprius, meaning "one's own", "individual", and capio, capere, to take or grasp, is the sense of the relative position of one's own parts of the body and strength of effort being employed in movement.[3]

In humans, it is provided by proprioceptors (muscle spindles) in skeletal striated muscles and tendons (Golgi tendon organ) and the fibrous capsules in joints. It is distinguished from exteroception, by which one perceives the outside world, and interoception, by which one perceives pain, hunger, etc., and the movement of internal organs.

The brain integrates information from proprioception and from the vestibular system into its overall sense of body position, movement, and acceleration. The word kinesthesia or kinæsthesia (kinesthetic sense) strictly means movement sense, but has been used inconsistently to refer either to proprioception alone or to the brain's integration of proprioceptive and vestibular inputs.

IOW, ordinary physiology.

Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2018, 09:20:13 AM »
do the body parts move on there own or are they directed by the function of the brain?

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2018, 08:50:44 PM »
Lets move on. We are constantly trying to plot out the future.  Some have a vision of it. Like when high schoolers plan there future. Or like when influential people plan to change the future.  Take Martin Luther king Jr for example.  I have a dream. Meant,  I want to change the future and know how to go about it. So prophecy and reality meet. People have the power to manipulate the future. At least those with the intellect and foresight. 
AI is a very powerful tool. Plotting out variables in a second can have a profound affect on the future. Asking an AI how to proceed because the power of computing all variables can affect the future so favorably. Will totally change our world.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2018, 09:01:28 PM »
If we remain within your narrow definition of "human intellect," you could be right.  I just choose not to be that cramped, so I don't concede the "surpassing" part of your point.  Maybe AI will change our world, but not forever.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2018, 09:09:39 PM »
If we remain within your narrow definition of "human intellect," you could be right.  I just choose not to be that cramped, so I don't concede the "surpassing" part of your point.  Maybe AI will change our world, but not forever.
The most divisive actions in history involved intellectual genius geared towards changing the future. Take Christs prophecy of being killed and raising on the third day. It was a plan as must as it was a prophecy.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2018, 09:17:49 PM »
The most divisive actions in history involved intellectual genius geared towards changing the future. Take Christs prophecy of being killed and raising on the third day. It was a plan as must as it was a prophecy.
I'm sorry, are you saying the intellect that predicted and planned the death and resurrection of Christ is the intellect which AIs will surpass?   :o  I'm happy to be completely and utterly misreading you here.  That would preferable.

Offline Rubricnigel

• Elder
  • Vini vidi vici
  • Jurisdiction: Midwest
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2018, 11:33:13 PM »
This must be a scam

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2018, 11:58:25 AM »
I'm sorry, are you saying the intellect that predicted and planned the death and resurrection of Christ is the intellect which AIs will surpass?   :o  I'm happy to be completely and utterly misreading you here.  That would preferable.
Not surpass but, get very close.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2018, 12:09:18 PM »
I just...disagree.  Quite stubbornly.  :)

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2018, 12:38:15 PM »
I just...disagree.  Quite stubbornly.  :)
The good news is we are about 20 or so years away.