Author Topic: Scientists determine four personality types based on new data  (Read 524 times)

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
Scientists determine four personality types based on new data
« on: September 17, 2018, 07:31:11 PM »

"People have tried to classify personality types since Hippocrates' time, but previous scientific literature has found that to be nonsense," said co-author William Revelle, professor of psychology in the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences.
After developing new algorithms, four clusters emerged:

Average Average people are high in neuroticism and extraversion, while low in openness....Females are more likely than males to fall into the Average type.

Reserved The Reserved type is emotionally stable, but not open or neurotic.

Role Models Role Models score low in neuroticism and high in all the other traits. The likelihood that someone is a role model increases dramatically with age....More women than men are likely to be role models.

Self-Centered Self-Centered people score very high in extraversion and below average in openness, agreeableness and conscientiousness. "These are people you don't want to hang out with," Revelle said.
To be sure the new clusters of types were accurate, the researchers used a notoriously self-centered group -- teenaged boys -- to validate their information.
It's kind of funny how the co-author criticizes Hippocrates' theory of the four humors as "nonsense", while co-authoring a paper describing four personality types.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Briven

• Pray for me, please! Baseball loving Old Believer.
  • High Elder
  • Господи Ісусе Христе Сыне Божїй помилѹй мѧ!
  • Faith: Old Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Belokrinitskaya Hierarchy
Re: Scientists determine four personality types based on new data
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 07:34:22 PM »

"People have tried to classify personality types since Hippocrates' time, but previous scientific literature has found that to be nonsense," said co-author William Revelle, professor of psychology in the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences.

Average Average people are high in neuroticism and extraversion, while low in openness....Females are more likely than males to fall into the Average type.

Role Models Role Models score low in neuroticism and high in all the other traits. The likelihood that someone is a role model increases dramatically with age....More women than men are likely to be role models.

Self-Centered Self-Centered people score very high in extraversion and below average in openness, agreeableness and conscientiousness. "These are people you don't want to hang out with," Revelle said.
To be sure the new clusters of types were accurate, the researchers used a notoriously self-centered group -- teenaged boys -- to validate their information.
It's kind of funny how the co-author criticizes Hippocrates' theory of the four humors as "nonsense", while co-authoring a paper describing four personality types.

Superficial, like all sociological explanations of phenomena

“God,”
The words rumbled:
“There is much suffering,
But the church is alive. "

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness
Comes in the clothing of fortune.

St. Avvakum, pray for us!

St. Ambrose, pray for us!

My blog: http://pustozersk.blogspot.com

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 07:37:31 PM »
I have no idea where I fit in on this one lol. Average... maybe? I feel like I'm more of an introvert than an extrovert, though.

Also, maybe teenage boys are not the best representatives of humanity in general?
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Briven

• Pray for me, please! Baseball loving Old Believer.
  • High Elder
  • Господи Ісусе Христе Сыне Божїй помилѹй мѧ!
  • Faith: Old Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Belokrinitskaya Hierarchy
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 08:14:09 PM »
I have no idea where I fit in on this one lol. Average... maybe? I feel like I'm more of an introvert than an extrovert, though.

Also, maybe teenage boys are not the best representatives of humanity in general?

Exactly.
“God,”
The words rumbled:
“There is much suffering,
But the church is alive. "

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness
Comes in the clothing of fortune.

St. Avvakum, pray for us!

St. Ambrose, pray for us!

My blog: http://pustozersk.blogspot.com

Online Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Met. of Atlanta
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 10:11:15 PM »
"At first, they came to me with 16 personality types, and there's enough literature that I'm aware of that says that's ridiculous," Revelle said. "I believed there were no types at all."

So basically he said "redo the analysis until you get an answer I like". Science? nope.
Quote from: Michael, Pope of Rome
We should fortify ourselves with the truths of the Faith. Our main focus should be to become saints. Unfortunately some spend much of their time in either trying to sort things out or what is worse, trying to convince the world that they are right. If we all aim at sanctifying ourselves, God will intervene and He will straighten things out. We cannot do it without Him.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 01:44:28 AM »
I think one needs to read the peer reviewed paper in Nature Human Behavior (you may need to go to a public library to read it):https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-018-0419-z
Basically there are five personality traits (neuroticism, extraversion, openness, agreeableness and conscientiousness) that encompass the main domains of human personality and have been confirmed in numerous studies.
It is personality types (the grouping of personality traits) that are/were controversial. The prior one (resilient, overcontrolled and undercontrolled) could not be replicated among different data sets and different cultures.
The personality types in the above manuscript was defined using one group of very large data sets and then tested on another group of data sets and shown to be robustly reproducible. Also, personality traits change with age (with a resultant change in an individual's personality type) and that was reproducible as well.

This seems good to me although this is not my field.

If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 02:17:39 AM »
I think one needs to read the peer reviewed paper in Nature Human Behavior (you may need to go to a public library to read it):https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-018-0419-z
Basically there are five personality traits (neuroticism, extraversion, openness, agreeableness and conscientiousness) that encompass the main domains of human personality and have been confirmed in numerous studies.
It is personality types (the grouping of personality traits) that are/were controversial. The prior one (resilient, overcontrolled and undercontrolled) could not be replicated among different data sets and different cultures.
The personality types in the above manuscript was defined using one group of very large data sets and then tested on another group of data sets and shown to be robustly reproducible. Also, personality traits change with age (with a resultant change in an individual's personality type) and that was reproducible as well.

Thanks for your input!
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 08:27:15 AM »

I guess it’s the idea of “personality type” (versus “personality trait”) that is a bit confusing.

The study indicated that most people clustered into four main groups: average, reserved, role models, and self-centered. Each main group is characterized as being, basically, high or low regarding the five personality traits. One notices that these four main groups do not exhaust the total possible combinations of the five personality traits. There should be 32 possible personality types, given that people are either low or high with regard to each of the 5 personality traits: extraversion, openness; conscientiousness, agreeableness, and neuroticism.

For instance, none of the four main groups include people who are both low in extraversion and high in neuroticism. One assumes that such people exist, but they don’t apparently make up a large number of people.

But wouldn’t people with low extraversion and high neuroticism (among other traits) constitute a “personality type”, even if such people might be quite rare?

On the other hand, the word “personality type” implies that each person is of a certain “type” and that a person’s, say, level of extraversion can never change due to effort or environment or age, so perhaps that is part of the criticism.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline platypus

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 03:22:11 PM »
For instance, none of the four main groups include people who are both low in extraversion and high in neuroticism. One assumes that such people exist, but they don’t apparently make up a large number of people.

But wouldn’t people with low extraversion and high neuroticism (among other traits) constitute a “personality type”, even if such people might be quite rare?

We exist. :laugh:

I found the Myers Briggs test described my personality significantly better than the big 5 test did. But I know very little about any of the science involved.
"Eternal truth finds no favorable soil where one encounters at every turn the skeptical, sarcastic query 'what is truth,' where life insurance takes the place of eternal hope." -Hieromonk Antonius

Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity. -Ecclesiastes 12:8

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 03:25:59 PM »

I guess it’s the idea of “personality type” (versus “personality trait”) that is a bit confusing.

The study indicated that most people clustered into four main groups: average, reserved, role models, and self-centered. Each main group is characterized as being, basically, high or low regarding the five personality traits. One notices that these four main groups do not exhaust the total possible combinations of the five personality traits. There should be 32 possible personality types, given that people are either low or high with regard to each of the 5 personality traits: extraversion, openness; conscientiousness, agreeableness, and neuroticism.

On the other hand, the word “personality type” implies that each person is of a certain “type” and that a person’s, say, level of extraversion can never change due to effort or environment or age, so perhaps that is part of the criticism.
I tried to read the supplemental information file, but it locks up Adobe Acrobat and the file isn't that big. The authors will probably get complaints about it and it will get fixed (Nature provides it "as is").
The authors state that there are "at least four personality types". From what I could tell, other combinations of traits did not exceed what one would get based on random assortment (beyond 1 Std. Dev.).  "Average" wasn't that much above the exclusion zone.
Perhaps, the less personality types the better in regard to clinical utility. I do not know. I have never taken a psychology or sociology course.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 04:06:25 PM »
The four types are ~ long time know to athletic instructors ~ they are more correctly : 1 Thinkers 2 Watchers 3 Doers 4 Feelers ```

Verbal and demo for each ~ is different to suit ```

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 11:50:14 PM »
The four types are ~ long time know to athletic instructors ~ they are more correctly : 1 Thinkers 2 Watchers 3 Doers 4 Feelers ```

Verbal and demo for each ~ is different to suit ```
Nice, but watchers are often thinkers and gamblers. Maybe reduce it to three types.

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 12:07:02 AM »
Four types ~ while there can be a combo in one person ~ thinker watcher ~ and so on ~ there are some who have just the one trait ~ engineers are often "thinkers" and have to be taught very differently ~ they have to be shown ~ convinced this is the way ~ the doer ~ is ready ~ let me go first ~ and so on ```

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 10:41:20 AM »
Four types ~ while there can be a combo in one person ~ thinker watcher ~ and so on ~ there are some who have just the one trait ~ engineers are often "thinkers" and have to be taught very differently ~ they have to be shown ~ convinced this is the way ~ the doer ~ is ready ~ let me go first ~ and so on ```
OK, got it. Thanks.

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 04:22:15 PM »
There a nine personality types, Gary Gygax figured this out in the 70s:

Lawful good   Neutral good   Chaotic good
Lawful neutral   (True) neutral   Chaotic neutral
Lawful evil           Neutral evil   Chaotic evil
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 04:23:11 PM by Deacon Lance »
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 03:59:53 PM »
sleepy good

sleepy neutral

sleepy evil

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 04:29:55 PM »
There a nine personality types, Gary Gygax figured this out in the 70s....
The First Dungeon Master
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Online Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 06:08:58 PM »

Its called a highjack.

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 06:48:16 PM »
Piaget's Theory of Cognitive Development

Stages of Cognitive Development. Piaget identified four stages in cognitive development:

1. Sensorimotor stage (Infancy). In this period (which has 6 stages), intelligence is demonstrated through motor activity without the use of symbols. Knowledge of the world is limited (but developing) because its based on physical interactions / experiences. Children acquire object permanence at about 7 months of age (memory). Physical development (mobility) allows the child to begin developing new intellectual abilities. Some symbollic (language) abilities are developed at the end of this stage.
2. Pre-operational stage (Toddler and Early Childhood). In this period (which has two substages), intelligence is demonstrated through the use of symbols, language use matures, and memory and imagination are developed, but thinking is done in a nonlogical, nonreversable manner. Egocentric thinking predominates
3. Concrete operational stage (Elementary and early adolescence). In this stage (characterized by 7 types of conservation: number, length, liquid, mass, weight, area, volume), intelligence is demonstarted through logical and systematic manipulation of symbols related to concrete objects. Operational thinking develops (mental actions that are reversible). Egocentric thought diminishes.
4. Formal operational stage (Adolescence and adulthood). In this stage, intelligence is demonstrated through the logical use of symbols related to abstract concepts. Early in the period there is a return to egocentric thought. Only 35% of high school graduates in industrialized countries obtain formal operations; many people do not think formally during adulthood.

This we use at early age ~ at Formal operational stage ~ all who are not ( who have no Cog proglems ) operate as :

Thinker, watcher, doer pr  feeler ~ or a combination of the four ```

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 07:01:04 PM »
Feeler ~ as he or she is about to start down the slight grade ( on skis) I tell her there is a bug under the big toe on your left foot ~ as you began to move " smash the bug '' ~ if the person does that ~ she will turn right ~ How did that feel ~ Oh, yes I felt it ~ I can turn ~ now the bug is under your right big toe ~ try that ~ how did that feel ```

Each Learning type ~ is taught a different way so as to learn ~ whatever they are to learn ~ what ever they are to do ```

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 07:05:32 PM by Sethrak »