Author Topic: bible in koine greek  (Read 758 times)

Online platypus

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
bible in koine greek
« on: September 17, 2018, 12:13:01 AM »
Does anyone know of a vendor in the US that sells the Orthodox Bible in koine Greek? Preferably with the patriarchal text of the NT and the Septuagint OT in the same volume.
"Eternal truth finds no favorable soil where one encounters at every turn the skeptical, sarcastic query 'what is truth,' where life insurance takes the place of eternal hope." -Hieromonk Antonius

Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity. -Ecclesiastes 12:8

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: bible in koine greek
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 12:14:46 AM »
Subbed. I'm potentially interested in this, too.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 09:39:51 AM »
Look, these aren't hard to find, but if you want the best OT recension, you'll have to buy from Apostoli Diakonia in Greece. If you want the best NT, maybe there are sellers in the US, but do focus on the 1904 Patriarchal Text.

It's important to say, however, that the differences between Greek biblical recensions are minor, and mostly imperceptible to the average reader. AFAIK Mt. Athos doesn't even read AD's OT, but rather a very old English recension that was reprinted in Russia. So take my recommendation with a pinch of salt.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 12:21:36 PM »
Got any tips or lessons for learning Slavic
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Online platypus

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 04:42:08 PM »
I did find one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1494779714/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0
I'm not quite sure about the publisher though, and it's not available in hardcover. I might get this one but I'll keep looking for now.

Look, these aren't hard to find, but if you want the best OT recension, you'll have to buy from Apostoli Diakonia in Greece. If you want the best NT, maybe there are sellers in the US, but do focus on the 1904 Patriarchal Text.

It's important to say, however, that the differences between Greek biblical recensions are minor, and mostly imperceptible to the average reader. AFAIK Mt. Athos doesn't even read AD's OT, but rather a very old English recension that was reprinted in Russia. So take my recommendation with a pinch of salt.

What makes the Apostoli Diakonia OT rescension the best?
"Eternal truth finds no favorable soil where one encounters at every turn the skeptical, sarcastic query 'what is truth,' where life insurance takes the place of eternal hope." -Hieromonk Antonius

Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity. -Ecclesiastes 12:8

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 12:45:40 AM »
It uses hymnography and Patristics to resolve conflicts between manuscripts.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 01:36:06 PM »

Really?

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 02:54:59 PM »
Really?
Yeah, it's the whole point behind it, as opposed to Grabe's mere juxtaposition of manuscripts (reprinted in Moscow and currently used in Mount Athos) and Rahlfs's worry with finding the original text amongst variations rather than reflected the living tradition of the Church. I don't wish to demean any of the texts, however: Grabe was as good as one could get at this time, and the team initially headed by Rahlfs did an amazing work, but with a different perspective (a very different one indeed, but not so significant in the end since the variations are not that great).

I made a complex method that involved all three recensions when translating the Psalms myself, but once I retake the work, I'll probably just stick to AD and leave the variations for the footnotes.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 03:33:42 PM »
I dunno. Isn't struggling with the difficulties kind of a Patristic thing to do? "Correcting" the Bible that we've got by altering the text sounds like the kind of well-intentioned chicanery of a Mormon or a Jehovah's Witness.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 04:31:14 PM »
I dunno. Isn't struggling with the difficulties kind of a Patristic thing to do? "Correcting" the Bible that we've got by altering the text sounds like the kind of well-intentioned chicanery of a Mormon or a Jehovah's Witness.
It's not about correcting, but rather chewing on the diversity of the text to make it a single one that doesn't require thinking about layers and layers of info. Not much unlike how the original Septuagint and NT writers didn't use punctuation, accents or space, but nowadays we put them for proper understanding, which requires some level of interpretation.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 11:14:14 AM »
Really?
Yeah, it's the whole point behind it, as opposed to Grabe's mere juxtaposition of manuscripts (reprinted in Moscow and currently used in Mount Athos) and Rahlfs's worry with finding the original text amongst variations rather than reflected the living tradition of the Church. I don't wish to demean any of the texts, however: Grabe was as good as one could get at this time, and the team initially headed by Rahlfs did an amazing work, but with a different perspective (a very different one indeed, but not so significant in the end since the variations are not that great).

I made a complex method that involved all three recensions when translating the Psalms myself, but once I retake the work, I'll probably just stick to AD and leave the variations for the footnotes.
Is AD what is here?:
http://www.myriobiblos.gr/bible/default.asp
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 12:31:24 PM »
Really?

Is AD what is here?:
http://www.myriobiblos.gr/bible/default.asp
Yes.