Author Topic: Finding a faith-friendly living environment  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Olga24

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Other
Finding a faith-friendly living environment
« on: August 04, 2018, 10:48:41 AM »
First of all: I know this is some kind of "luxury problem" as many christian face violence and not only a hostile society. So, I´m aware of that, please don´t see me as a spoiled person.
I am a convert, living with my (not yet converted) husband in the former GDA/germany, only one parish for our county, a great priest, but a raher small parish life. Instead of the liturgy (we can´t always go as sunday work is part of my husband´s contract) there´s not much to attend (groups etc). We live rather isolated, we are generally outgoing persons and enjoy company, but since we left university in our home town (where living costs made us move) there are not may people left. Germany is generally very secular, but in the east, it´s extreme. We are so sick of the drug use, fornication and sadness surounding us, the lack of religion of course, too.
What do you do in similar situations?
We would possibly move to another country, but this won´t mean the grass is greener, just to explain you our mood.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 10:48:56 AM by Olga24 »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Re: Finding a faith-friendly living environment
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 04:48:58 PM »
Firstly, try to activate more parish life - it's not only the task of the priest. Secondly, there are many Orthodox parishes of variosu jurisdictions in Germany - maybe there are some pan-Orthodox meetings? Or even events organised by other, certain parishes?
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Olga24

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 01:22:17 PM »
Our parish the only in almost the whole county and I already drive +2 hours by train which is because of my work times not easy. The next bigger parish would be 4 hours away and via train too expensive to reach for us.
Of course it´s up to us as believers to be part of an active parish life, but I can´t create new people out of nothing. Most peole who attend  the liturgy are very old or have young chldren and socalise more inside their familis because time is rare...

Online WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Texas
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 12:23:33 PM »
Spanish Trail in Granbury Texas

Offline MariaJLM

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 04:27:40 AM »
Our parish the only in almost the whole county and I already drive +2 hours by train which is because of my work times not easy. The next bigger parish would be 4 hours away and via train too expensive to reach for us.
Of course it´s up to us as believers to be part of an active parish life, but I can´t create new people out of nothing. Most peole who attend  the liturgy are very old or have young chldren and socalise more inside their familis because time is rare...

Really? This surprises me since I know of Orthodox Christians in Germany and they have mentioned there being quite a few parishes and even a couple monasteries. In the large cities especially. I mean, Munich even has their own saint(St. Alexander the new martyr). 

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Freemason Homo Church Infiltrator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 02:12:17 PM »

Really? This surprises me since I know of Orthodox Christians in Germany and they have mentioned there being quite a few parishes and even a couple monasteries. In the large cities especially. I mean, Munich even has their own saint(St. Alexander the new martyr).

Eastern Germany is not western Germany.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 02:22:51 PM »

Eastern Germany is not western Germany.
Indeed. In the larger cities in Western Germany, you will find all flavors of Orthodox parishes.
I have Ethopians and Greeks nearby < 5km, the Russians are also not far away.
Sanctus Deus, Sanctus fortis, Sanctus immortalis, miserere nobis.

Offline Olga24

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 01:36:04 PM »
Please don´t underestimate the east-west difference in germany - I did so! Growing up in the western middle of the country after the fall of the GDR, I thought the situation today would be more balanced. When me moved in the east (and not berling or another big city) we were shocked. Religion is in all shades still mostly dead here. I currently work as a guide at an historic museum and get to know teachers often, and they didn´t change too. In most cases you won´t drive more than an hour in germany to visit any denomination you wish, but it´s different here.
The main problem is also really not my parish (which is great!) but the total lack of opportunities to share our faith in our daily life. It´s disturbing. It made me stronger and more strong in prayer, but I long for a rest, a place to meet other faithful often. If we had the money, we would pilgrim more or go on vacation, but we are living on our limits so much that driving to church is a financial burden.

Offline Olga24

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 01:36:53 PM »

I found a town on the internet - but I´m not sure I understand the reason why you linked it. May you explain?  :)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 05:52:11 PM »

I found a town on the internet - but I´m not sure I understand the reason why you linked it. May you explain?  :)

I think he means to say that it's a faith-friendly environment (I think he lives in Texas). WPM has a tendency to post kind of randomly, he means no harm though.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Olga24

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 09:42:57 AM »
Ah ok, thanks for clarifying.
Moving to Texas is just not an option for us ;-)

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 06:58:42 PM »
Greetings Olga ~ I very much know the feeling and what you are describing ~ I find myself is a similar situation of my own making ```

I hope you are able to find what will suit your family ~ God Bless and Protect you and yours ```

seth

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 07:29:53 PM »

I think he means to say that it's a faith-friendly environment (I think he lives in Texas). WPM has a tendency to post kind of randomly, he means no harm though.
Lots of German immigrants moved to Texas in the 1800s. A few even still speak Texasdeutsche, a German dialect.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 07:31:41 PM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 08:03:06 PM »
Quote Jetavan: Lots of German immigrants moved to Texas in the 1800s. A few even still speak Texasdeutsche, a German dialect.

Yes, and when the Mexican decided to drive them our they they said : NO! If we go we take Texas with us ```

Gonzales,Texas had that famous canon ~ The Mexican army said: We are coming for that Canon!

The citizens of Gonzales, Texas said: " Come and Take it "

Great piece of history ```

"Come and take it"

Date: October 2, 1835
Result: Texian Victory; Mexican withdrawal; beginning of Texian rebellion against the Mexican government
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:12:02 PM by Sethrak »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 08:22:15 PM »
People sin all over the world.

You may have to accept that.

Who does not sin sexually, surely sins in something else.

I hope you find a place to live where you can enjoy that, but lack of respect for others won't help you.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Online Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2018, 08:38:23 PM »

I hope you find a place to live where you can enjoy that, but lack of respect for others won't help you.

Everybody likes to be around like minded people. Nothing wrong with that.

If the op doesnt have the funds to make a pilgrimage or move. I suggest they pray. They could also start a go fund me page. Or get into contact with affluent orthodox community's that they can join. They often have out reach programs that you can join that will pay for your room and board while you donate your time. This can put you in contact with others that can help you relocate in the future. The main thing is to network with those types. It will broaden your networking and could yeild alternatives to your current situation.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:38:49 PM by Tzimis »

Offline Olga24

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 05:21:17 AM »

lack of respect? How do you come to this conclusion?
Am I responsible for being depressed by my environment? Am I wrong when I don´t want to spend my time with people taking drugs and abandoning their children? I feel sorry for them, I don´t hate the sinner, but I hate the sin I see here every day.
Every human needs like minded people who give them stability, I think. I admire those who live in resistance against evil and fight this battle alone, yes. I am not that strong. I wish my husband a place to rest and some buddys to talk with after he comes home from a hard week, and not a bunch of neo-nazis organising demonstration under our window.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 05:25:28 AM by Olga24 »

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but in All the East
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 07:50:27 AM »
Please don't mind biro. She's notorious for misunderstanding posts or erroneously projecting judgments, such as you not respecting others, onto posters.

I think plenty of us understand where you're coming from and what you're dealing with, if maybe not the specifics. Unfortunately, any utility I may have added runs out at this point, because I have no idea how to find what you asked for.

Strangely, I actually live in a faith-friendly environment, to a certain extent, it's just not a Christian one.
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 01:46:32 AM »
Cognomen ~ if we had a like button on this site ```

Offline Olga24

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 06:29:17 AM »
Please don't mind biro. She's notorious for misunderstanding posts or erroneously projecting judgments, such as you not respecting others, onto posters.

I think plenty of us understand where you're coming from and what you're dealing with, if maybe not the specifics. Unfortunately, any utility I may have added runs out at this point, because I have no idea how to find what you asked for.

Strangely, I actually live in a faith-friendly environment, to a certain extent, it's just not a Christian one.
Thank you for the kind words, I´m new to this site and not yet familiar with some more or less well known misunderstandings ;-)
Honestly, I don´t expect to find a solution right now. If there was a way, I think I would have found it during the past months, but tight money and work aren´t really debatable, so, we stay here.