Author Topic: Finding a faith-friendly living environment  (Read 249 times)

Offline Olga24

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Other
Finding a faith-friendly living environment
« on: August 04, 2018, 10:48:41 AM »
First of all: I know this is some kind of "luxury problem" as many christian face violence and not only a hostile society. So, I´m aware of that, please don´t see me as a spoiled person.
I am a convert, living with my (not yet converted) husband in the former GDA/germany, only one parish for our county, a great priest, but a raher small parish life. Instead of the liturgy (we can´t always go as sunday work is part of my husband´s contract) there´s not much to attend (groups etc). We live rather isolated, we are generally outgoing persons and enjoy company, but since we left university in our home town (where living costs made us move) there are not may people left. Germany is generally very secular, but in the east, it´s extreme. We are so sick of the drug use, fornication and sadness surounding us, the lack of religion of course, too.
What do you do in similar situations?
We would possibly move to another country, but this won´t mean the grass is greener, just to explain you our mood.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 10:48:56 AM by Olga24 »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Re: Finding a faith-friendly living environment
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 04:48:58 PM »
Firstly, try to activate more parish life - it's not only the task of the priest. Secondly, there are many Orthodox parishes of variosu jurisdictions in Germany - maybe there are some pan-Orthodox meetings? Or even events organised by other, certain parishes?
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Olga24

• Jurisdiction: Other
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 01:22:17 PM »
Our parish the only in almost the whole county and I already drive +2 hours by train which is because of my work times not easy. The next bigger parish would be 4 hours away and via train too expensive to reach for us.
Of course it´s up to us as believers to be part of an active parish life, but I can´t create new people out of nothing. Most peole who attend  the liturgy are very old or have young chldren and socalise more inside their familis because time is rare...

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 12:23:33 PM »
Spanish Trail in Granbury Texas
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary