Author Topic: Pluto has sand dunes of crystallized methane  (Read 503 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Pluto has sand dunes of crystallized methane
« on: June 05, 2018, 12:29:53 AM »
From the New Horizons probe:

To determine exactly how a frozen planet with an atmosphere just 1/1,000th as thick as Earth’s (and with 1/100,000th the pressure) could form wind-swept dunes, Telfer and his team carried out a detailed spatial analysis of the dunes, finding orthogonal wind streaks similar to those found seen in sand dunes on Earth. Furthermore, spectral and numerical models showed that Pluto’s dunes may form from a thin layer of methane that gets released into the air due to nitrogen ice below it sublimating – or turning directly from a solid to a gas. Alternatively, the methane may come directly from the bottom of the nearby mountain range, getting swept up in the winds that flow down the mountainous slopes at roughly 22 miles per hour (35 kilometers per hour).

“On Earth, you need a certain strength of wind to maintain transport,” said co-author Eric Parteli. “The considerably lower gravity of Pluto, and the extremely low atmospheric pressure, means the winds needed to maintain sediment transport can be a hundred times lower.” In other words, Pluto’s winds are more than strong enough to carry tiny particles through a thin atmosphere on a world where gravity is 12 times weaker than it is on Earth.
On an extended hiatus from this site. Please pray for me and my family.

I'm sorry to any that my posts might offend.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
Re: Pluto has sand dunes of crystallized methane
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 05:46:57 AM »
I opened OC.net today morning before my first cup of coffee and read "methane" as "methamphetamin". I really have watched too much Netflix lately.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:48:16 AM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 06:59:39 AM »
I opened OC.net today morning before my first cup of coffee and read "methane" as "methamphetamin". I really have watched too much Netflix lately.
If it makes you feel any better, I did too, and I haven't watched any Netflix in two months.  But I'm also uncaffeinated, so maybe that's it.   :D

I can't read the word sublimate without thinking of my high school science teacher, who looked like Christopher Lloyd and would stand on his desk to deliver some of his lessons.  I still got pretty low grades, but at least I remember the class. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 07:02:32 AM by Ainnir »
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 08:14:39 AM »
Elon musk can now send all the junkies there via space x.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 10:29:52 AM »
. . . and send some dune buggies along;

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 12:21:01 PM »
Elon musk can now send all the junkies there via space x.

Snorting crystallized methane? The junkies you hang out with are freakin hardcore.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 12:21:38 PM »
If it makes you feel any better, I did too, and I haven't watched any Netflix in two months.  But I'm also uncaffeinated, so maybe that's it.   :D

I can't read the word sublimate without thinking of my high school science teacher, who looked like Christopher Lloyd and would stand on his desk to deliver some of his lessons.  I still got pretty low grades, but at least I remember the class.

Sounds like he was a good teacher.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
  • Saint Dmitri of Rostov, Pray For Us!
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: None
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 08:49:19 PM »

Hello fellow Breaking Bad fan, what season are you on?
"Miri it is while sumer ilast with fugheles song, oc nu
neheth windes blast and weder strong. ei ei what this
niht is long. and ich with wel michel wrong, soregh and
murn and fast."

May God one day unite me with the Holy Orthodox Catholic Church.

Offline Sethrak

• Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 11:21:34 PM »
How do they ~ who ever they are ~ know what is on Pluto ~ they could say your head is made of Chocolate ```

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 01:41:15 AM »
How do they ~ who ever they are ~ know what is on Pluto ~ they could say your head is made of Chocolate ```
Pluto is no longer classified as a planet. 9-1 =8.  it's actually an ice formation along with the thousands of others out there like it. Science is getting a bit smarter these days. They just discovered that mars has organic life in the form of methane gas. Maybe god will send the non believers there and call it hell. People on this planet are crazy. They want to leave a perfectly good planet to go to a hell hole. Let them go. The world will be a better place without them.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 01:42:04 AM by Tzimis »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 02:43:02 AM »

Visual, spectrographic, and gas analysis from the probe that they sent there.

Pluto is no longer classified as a planet. 9-1 =8.  it's actually an ice formation along with the thousands of others out there like it. Science is getting a bit smarter these days. They just discovered that mars has organic life in the form of methane gas. Maybe god will send the non believers there and call it hell. People on this planet are crazy. They want to leave a perfectly good planet to go to a hell hole. Let them go. The world will be a better place without them.

This was a perfectly good planet- until we ruined it.

Maybe it can still come back from the brink, maybe not. It's good to have a backup plan.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 02:44:09 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 08:09:54 AM »

I've watched just about all the episodes except for the few last ones which I just skimmed through. Recently I watched all the three seasons of Better Call Saul which was pretty good too.

Both are one the the most nihilist series I've ever seen. It almost feels bad to see main characters turn into monsters who just stop caring about anything and start destroy pretty much everything around them.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 10:31:08 AM »

Maybe it can still come back from the brink, maybe not. It's good to have a backup plan.
Yeah. The backup plan is Christ.  When he comes he will renew the planet and those that are with him.

Offline Sethrak

• Elder
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 01:38:30 PM »
This is still a very good planet ~ in fact this if my favorite planet ```

Offline LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 05:45:24 PM »

I've watched just about all the episodes except for the few last ones which I just skimmed through. Recently I watched all the three seasons of Better Call Saul which was pretty good too.

Both are one the the most nihilist series I've ever seen. It almost feels bad to see main characters turn into monsters who just stop caring about anything and start destroy pretty much everything around them.

Well, I think it's what the show does well, as it does a couple of things excellently well (we can start another thread if you want), as first of all, it shows you how just one morally wrong decision can lead to a host of consequences in terms of your transformation of your character or more actions that lead to the consequences of your character - for instance, in Season 1, Walter decides to cook meth for a small bit in order to provide some money, but ends up having to murder and cover up a couple of individuals and gets involved with the Cartel in order to sell it -

and secondly, the show brings you down to their treacherous level, and you end up rooting for the less evil of the evils.
You'll be rooting for Walter instead of Tuco, despite both having done horrible things.

Not to mention the more subtle social commentary (Jessie Pinkman is ousted from his family based on preconceived perceptions that he is a drug addict after they find some marijuana, while Marie steals really expensive stuff but is covered up by her husband and gets away with it).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 05:46:17 PM by LivenotoneviL »
murn and fast."

Offline LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 05:48:16 PM »
Better Call Saul is interesting because (thus far at least) there seems to be a greater focus on the debate of ethics versus morality.

Is it better to be ethical or to be moral? Who is the worse person - the immoral, ethical person, or the moral, unethical person?
murn and fast."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 05:52:34 PM »

Yeah. The backup plan is Christ.  When he comes he will renew the planet and those that are with him.

Oh hey, it's the exact same antilogic that helped lead to despoiling the environment in the first place.

I'm sure when He comes He'll have all kinds of nice words for those who failed to care for His world and wanted Him to come clean their messes up for them.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 05:59:09 PM »
This is still a very good planet ~ in fact this if my favorite planet ```

I wish Cyprian700 was still here, lol.

1) Earth is not a planet. The word planet implies motion or wandering, and the earth moves not.  Rather, the sun is a planet, as St. Basil, St. Augustine, and St. John of Damascus all testify to in their writings.

By all means, if you can, show us where Holy Church taught different than as I have presented.  Supply us with the evidence where the Church held to a geokinetic view, heliocentrism, flat-earth, or a universe that is 15 billion years old, and an earth that is 4.5 billion years old, etc.  The Church teaches none of this.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2018, 08:43:49 PM »

Oh hey, it's the exact same antilogic that helped lead to despoiling the environment in the first place.

I'm sure when He comes He'll have all kinds of nice words for those who failed to care for His world and wanted Him to come clean their messes up for them.
    Most people are just trying to survive in a fallen world. As we gain advancements and knowledge we should use them to better the world. Problem is that oil is cheap and if the world as a whole doesn't agree together to move foward. The countries that dont move foward are at an advantage to stay on oil.  Capitalism won't allow the world become free from oil because its cheap and nothing can compete with it.
Hopefully advancements can compete before unrepairable damage is done to the environment.

Offline Sethrak

• Elder
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 11:58:08 AM »
No one will allow Oil to go away ~ everyone ` all countries want it ~ anyone who does not use oil will have to use the horse ~ unless all agree to on an alternate ```

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
note:

Rudolf Diesel had a plan to use veggi oil ~ on his way by ship ~ to show the world how this was to work and replace petroleum ~ He vanished ~ his engine arrived in America Without Rudolf on board ```

I'd like to know what you think about this ~ and what you think happened to Rudolf ~ the inventor of the Diesel engine ```

seth

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 05:35:24 PM »
I'd never heard about Rudolf Diesel. Interesting.

As for oil, is not a matter of "allowing" it's about hording the few remaining stores of it until they run out naturally. There's too many people in the world to just go back to 18th Century technology, so we'd better agree on an alternative if we want to avoid a lot of death.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 05:36:08 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Sethrak

• Elder
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 08:02:01 PM »
Interesting ~ but ~ never will every nation agree and when it comes to Oil ~ Never, Never , No How , No Way ```

If there is a last drop of oil ~ there will be Disagreement until that ONE DROP IS USED ```

Not even Donald could negotiate that ```
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 08:03:22 PM by Sethrak »

Offline Sethrak

• Elder
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 08:15:41 PM »

Quote Volnutt : As for oil, is not a matter of "allowing" it's about hording the few remaining stores of it until they run out naturally.

Are you saying we should horde the last few stores ~ we could land troops in Libya ~ to start with ```

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 08:28:18 PM »
No one will allow Oil to go away ~ everyone ` all countries want it ~ anyone who does not use oil will have to use the horse ~ unless all agree to on an alternate ```

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
note:

Rudolf Diesel had a plan to use veggi oil ~ on his way by ship ~ to show the world how this was to work and replace petroleum ~ He vanished ~ his engine arrived in America Without Rudolf on board ```

I'd like to know what you think about this ~ and what you think happened to Rudolf ~ the inventor of the Diesel engine ```

seth
Same thing that happened to Sadam Hussein. The moment anyone challenges the US strong hold on oil. They become the next axis of evil.  Venezuela tried doing that recently and look at there economy now.

Offline Sethrak

• Elder
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 08:34:00 PM »
I've always wanted to ski Pluto ~ you know ~ a half day ticket ~ dress for the occasion ~ ski half day and tell bump stories on the way home ```

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 10:40:09 PM »

Quote Volnutt : As for oil, is not a matter of "allowing" it's about hording the few remaining stores of it until they run out naturally.

Are you saying we should horde the last few stores ~ we could land troops in Libya ~ to start with ```

Not should (I tend to think the only real alternative fuel is nuclear power, but that's not politically possible, so we're likely all screwed in the long run), just will.

I'm one of those pessimists who points out problems and has no solutions to offer.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:41:30 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2018, 10:46:14 PM »

Not should (I tend to think the only real alternative fuel is nuclear power, but that's not politically possible, so we're likely all screwed in the long run), just will.

I'm one of those pessimists who points out problems and has no solutions to offer.
Me too. If ot weren't for terrorism.  I would be a nuclear advocate.