Author Topic: Happy 5-29...  (Read 907 times)

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
Happy 5-29...
« on: May 29, 2018, 12:12:49 AM »
To all parents who are saving for their childrens' college education!
If you haven't started yet, this site has plenty of info to help you: https://www.savingforcollege.com/

Proverbs 22:7

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: Happy 5-29...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 08:13:44 AM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 08:17:26 AM »
Yes, Harvard and MIT cost a bundle; mst people know that. Community colleges aren't that expensive.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 08:20:59 AM by Tallitot »
Proverbs 22:7

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 11:23:56 AM »
Her point was probably more that in a great portion of the world....they pay much less, because education is seen as benefiting society and does not require students to mortgage their lives to obtain it.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 12:03:19 PM »
What's a community college?
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 12:14:12 PM »

In the United States, community colleges, sometimes called junior colleges, technical colleges, two-year colleges, or city colleges, are primarily two-year public institutions providing lower-level tertiary education also known as continuing education, granting certificates, diplomas, and associate degrees. After graduating from a community college, some students transfer to a four-year liberal arts college or university for two to three years to complete a bachelor's degree.

Before the 1970s, community colleges in the United States were more commonly referred to as junior colleges, and that term is still used at some institutions. However, the term "junior college" has evolved to describe private two-year institutions, whereas the term "community college" has evolved to describe publicly funded two-year institutions. The name derives from the fact that community colleges primarily attract and accept students from the local community, and are often supported by local tax revenue.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 12:14:36 PM »

A smaller 2 year school, especially helpful for people who can't afford the insane costs of most 4 year programs. Some people go to community college for 2 years to take care of their basic requirements (languages, maths, sciences), and then transfer to a 4 year school to do the coursework for their majors. Other people just do community college alone and get a 2 year ("associate") degree. They also tend to offer programs that aren't several-years-long liberal arts stuff, but are more focused technical training for stuff like nursing or welding.

(For comparison, full time tuition for one year at the local community college here is about $3900; the U. of Pittsburgh is $19000; and the private Catholic college is $32000. None of that includes room/board, fees, books, or other expenses.)

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 12:26:37 PM »
of course a -lot- of the general education things people do at Community College (I was one of them) would not be required if the US high school system actually taught at a better level......

Graduate High school having taken 'english, maths, history, etc'  and the first thing you need to do is take more of those....because the system is not actually set up to do anything but repeat and repeat....

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 12:27:41 PM »
In Brazil, people only go for private universities if they can't manage to pass on the tests of a public one, or, exceptionally, if they want a specific course that some private university offers better or more market-minded. This does create an uncomfortable situation of people who paid for good middle/high schooling getting free college while those that didn't have to pay, which is mitigated by affirmative action, but there's a thick middle class of people who aren't poor enough to apply to affirmative action, but aren't rich enough to have been to a good high school and pass the tests either...

I love my state university, and I did enjoy when I was in a federal one, the bad thing is that these are as vulnerable to certain issues as any other third-world public institution is. The contrast between prestige and problems is often strange: we have classes personally taught a Supreme Court minister, but to get there he may have to walk seven flights of stairs (because there are no elevators) just to get there tired and find out there's no water in the fountain. Sad.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Arachne

• Merarches
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 12:37:23 PM »
In Greece, private universities are illegal. There are private higher education schools, but they are not, and cannot call themselves, universities, and their certificates do not count in applications for public-sector jobs. State universities, polytechnics and technical colleges are free, admission is by exam (administered through the school system), and offer a lot of lifestyle concessions for the duration. That's primarily the reason Greek postgraduate students abroad get a bit of a reputation for being spoilt: they don't usually have to get a job to support themselves, and with half the country's population living in Athens or Thessaloniki, a good percentage of them don't even need to move away from home.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 12:59:03 PM »
In Greece, private universities are illegal. There are private higher education schools, but they are not, and cannot call themselves, universities, and their certificates do not count in applications for public-sector jobs. State universities, polytechnics and technical colleges are free, admission is by exam (administered through the school system), and offer a lot of lifestyle concessions for the duration. That's primarily the reason Greek postgraduate students abroad get a bit of a reputation for being spoilt: they don't usually have to get a job to support themselves, and with half the country's population living in Athens or Thessaloniki, a good percentage of them don't even need to move away from home.
Is there any chance of a private university certificate from abroad being homologated in Greece, though?
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Arachne

• Merarches
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 01:07:23 PM »
Is there any chance of a private university certificate from abroad being homologated in Greece, though?

It will need every credit lined up with an equivalent from a Greek university, which means even a Harvard graduate might need to take a few classes in Greece to make up for it. And that only if they are a Greek citizen.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 01:58:53 PM »
From what I've heard, credit alignment sucks internationally.

Offline Arachne

• Merarches
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 02:01:37 PM »
From what I've heard, credit alignment sucks internationally.

It's a pain even if all you're doing is transfer to the same department from another city. I don't even want to imagine what the international version would be like.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 02:21:23 PM »
I know a lawyer who finished some postgrad in Sorbonne years ago and still didn't manage to align credits anywhere in Brazil. Sucks. I kinda fear not being able to do that if I move Portugal, specially since law is such a country-specific course, but we have so many treaties favouring migration that I hope it might be easier...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 02:21:32 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 04:49:29 AM »

It will need every credit lined up with an equivalent from a Greek university, which means even a Harvard graduate might need to take a few classes in Greece to make up for it. And that only if they are a Greek citizen.
I think they not only need to take a few classes to make up, they also take some kind of exams? (not sure, so I've heard).

Edit: Yes, after a google search, they are indeed examined by a body of 21 proffessors (14 from Greek Unis & 7 from Greek Polytechnics) both oraly and in writing. The board goes by the fancy name "Intra-scientific Organization of Academic & Informatics Title Recognition" (or something like that).

Also, from what I've heard from friends who have done post-graduate master's and doctoral programs abroad, the Metsovion Polytechnic in Athens, the Informatics Sciences School in Patras, and the Medical School in Thessaloniki, have a good reputation in Europe. And the Thessaloniki Academy of Theology too.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 04:50:42 AM by Apostolos »
Ἦχος Βαρύς

Ὁπλιτικῆς φάλαγγος οἰκεῖον μέλος
ὁ τοῦ βάρους σὺ κλῆσιν εἰληφῶς φέρεις.
Ἧχον τὸν ἁπλοῦν τὸν βάρους ἐπώνυμον
ὁ τοὺς λογισμοὺς ἐν βοαῖς μισῶν φιλεῖ.
Ἀνδρῶν δὲ ἄσμα δευτερότριτε βρέμεις.
Ὧν ποικίλος δὲ τοὺς ἁπλούς ἔχεις φίλους.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 03:33:54 PM »
The fall of Constantinople.  Can't be too happy for some.