Author Topic: Fear of demons at night hours  (Read 447 times)

Offline Peace

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
Fear of demons at night hours
« on: May 17, 2018, 06:35:39 PM »
I am not sure if I posted this on the right place (sorry mods, if I made a mistake move this topic, thanks)

At nights, before sleep I feel scared. It started almost 10 years ago after let's say an "accident". Since then I am afraid to sleep because I am scared of demons. I pray, I have use calming pills (that a doctor gave me) but it doesn't help. The fear is there most of the nights. I can't fall asleep or I awake again and again while I feel terrified. I end up sleeping during the day hours many times because it feels safe with the light.

Does anyone else experiencing this?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 06:37:42 PM by Peace »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: Fear of demons at night hours
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 07:18:09 PM »
Lord have mercy and for your pills.

I have fears like that once in a while, yeah. I've pretty much come to look at it much like being afraid of getting struck by lightning or hit by a car or attacked by a bear. It's a part of reality and it is what it is. Maybe it will happen and maybe it won't (inshallah), but nothing really objectively changes in my life (viewed from eternity) whether it does or not- especially since, unlike the other dangers, demons can't usually just up and kill you.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 07:19:15 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 09:44:19 PM »
+1

P.S.

Is your profile pic a Megaman character? I don't recognize the Robot Master.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:45:01 PM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline PittbullMom

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek, NJ
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 09:51:14 PM »
I have eperienced something dreadful last year. I was in a constant state of terror  and panick attacks, thought I was having a heart attack and dying. Was in hospital for a few days. Came home on meds and it got worse. Catholi at the time it started as soon as host was being consecrated. I would sit up front because I didnt want to pass out in communion line. Stopped meds, only took as needed meds.  I was in total terror. Scared to leave my bed. Couldn't shower, couldn't walk outside, no driving. Totally debilitated mentally.

I swear to you the psalms stopped it. Took a couple weeks but gradually got better. Its been a year and a half and since I went to an Orthodox church it was on its way out. Got chrismated. Walking up to communion I'll get a quick dizzy spell but it leaves the instant i reach the priest. The main reason I know I am in the right place.   

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 10:05:22 PM »
+1

P.S.

Is your profile pic a Megaman character? I don't recognize the Robot Master.

It's Oomedama from the criminally underappreciated early 2000s toyline, Chocovaders.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 10:19:23 PM »
I have eperienced something dreadful last year. I was in a constant state of terror  and panick attacks, thought I was having a heart attack and dying. Was in hospital for a few days. Came home on meds and it got worse. Catholi at the time it started as soon as host was being consecrated. I would sit up front because I didnt want to pass out in communion line. Stopped meds, only took as needed meds.  I was in total terror. Scared to leave my bed. Couldn't shower, couldn't walk outside, no driving. Totally debilitated mentally.

I swear to you the psalms stopped it. Took a couple weeks but gradually got better. Its been a year and a half and since I went to an Orthodox church it was on its way out. Got chrismated. Walking up to communion I'll get a quick dizzy spell but it leaves the instant i reach the priest. The main reason I know I am in the right place.

I'm glad that it's gotten better for you, at least! Lord have mercy.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 11:41:32 PM »
Fear of the dark is a much more common problem among adults than you'd think, it's just something people don't talk about. I got over it when I was 12, but I still get your anxiety. I'm overall very anxious and there was a moment of obsession some years ago I felt I would die at any moment (just to get it worse, I was almost run over by a bus in this short period). This played part in my conversion.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Online Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 11:43:59 PM »

LHM. Continue attending liturgy,. Your soul will continue to be in pease.  The church has a way of healing the soul. Continue on.

Offline Rubricnigel

• Elder
  • Vini vidi vici
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Midwest
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 09:37:29 AM »
Lord have mercy.

My only suggestion would be to sleep with lights on, and look into lucid dreaming. Ive been successful a few times in my dreams when being chased (the one where you run against the wind while an unknown creature/demon chases you and when they catch you, you wake up in sweat) and i havent had those in years.

Lord please help calm their mind

Online Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 09:56:13 AM »
My wife sometimes sees imagines walking around the house while in bed. She isn't a good sleeper.  I tell her to have a glass of wine before bed so she could sleep through the night so the demons or angels don't bother her. Truthfully I also see shadows sometimes which is unusual for a semi naturalist. If they don't pose any harm consider it a blessing that a spirit world does exist.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 09:59:19 AM »
Lord have mercy.

My only suggestion would be to sleep with lights on, and look into lucid dreaming. Ive been successful a few times in my dreams when being chased (the one where you run against the wind while an unknown creature/demon chases you and when they catch you, you wake up in sweat) and i havent had those in years.

Lord please help calm their mind

Do you ever get sleep paralysis? I hear lucid dreaming can actually cause that in some people.

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 04:20:12 PM »
Dear Peace ~ I think ~ You are in contact with Out Lord ~ He is not going to let a demon get at you ~ I have this thing about spiders at night ~ I check under my pillow before turning out the light ```

I'm sure you ask for God's protection ~ that is the first thing He will grant ~ long before delivering a great job or wining the lottery ```

You're in good hand ~ really ~ you've more chance cutting your hand while preparing your food ``` Watch out when crossing the street ~ drink plenty of water ~ and ~ trust in the Lord ```

Relax brother ~ think about it ~ and sleep well tonight ```

seth

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 04:30:02 PM »
I am not sure if I posted this on the right place (sorry mods, if I made a mistake move this topic, thanks)

At nights, before sleep I feel scared. It started almost 10 years ago after let's say an "accident". Since then I am afraid to sleep because I am scared of demons. I pray, I have use calming pills (that a doctor gave me) but it doesn't help. The fear is there most of the nights. I can't fall asleep or I awake again and again while I feel terrified. I end up sleeping during the day hours many times because it feels safe with the light.

Does anyone else experiencing this?
can you give more details about your prayer rule ?

For example, when you wake up at nights do you pray ? Do you go regularly to Church, drink Holy Water ?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 04:32:56 PM by Vanhyo »

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 05:07:27 PM »
Light a Votive Candle ~ it will continue burning for some time after you gone to bed ```