Author Topic: I wear black on the outside, 'cause black is how I feel on the inside  (Read 598 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

You Might Be Less Happy With This Religion
In 2015 a working paper revealed disenchantment that people across Eastern Europe had with their lives despite income gains made during the more than two decades since the fall of communism. The research reported low levels of happiness in the region compared to nations in other parts of the world.

"For example, Ukraine and Russia are consistently found near the bottom of rankings of life satisfaction, with scores lower than those of countries like Bangladesh and Senegal," the authors of the study wrote in the Financial Times, while Armenians, Bulgarians, Georgians, Moldovans and Serbians were less satisfied with their lives compared to people in Peru or India.

Researchers also drew a connection between religious beliefs and happiness levels, with Eastern European Orthodox countries being unhappier "and that this variable explains around 30 percent of the happiness gap.”

Now, new research explores this connection even more deeply. A recent World Bank policy research working paper that examined global data and surveys took the study on Orthodoxy further and showed believers in this religion report the lowest happiness levels among Christian followers overall. The survey was conducted with more than 400,000 people in countries that comprise 90 percent of the world's population.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Funny that they only researched ex-Communist countries, without paying attention to Orthodox countries that defeated Communist like Greece, or non-Orthodox countries that were Communist, like Kazakhstan or Poland.

Just a pseudoscientific rant by a resentful Romanian who is probably still begrudged that her parents made her stand in church Sunday mornings, no big deal.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
If you go by the UN Happiness Index, the happiest countries are all the most secular ones (Scandinavian countries in particular). I've had that used on me by an atheist.

Either something is wrong with the methodology in those surveys or something is wrong with religion, I guess.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 04:48:40 PM by Volnutt »
I do stuff.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
It's definitely a dumb article but funny all the same.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Pavel Florensky and Sergei Bulgakov
  • Faith: Neo-Patristic Synthesis
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
I wouldn't be happy living in Russia or Ukraine either, regardless of religion.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches

I might. Depends on what my job was and whether my neighbors were jerks.
I do stuff.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon

Of course you might, you live in Alaska.  ;D ;D ;D
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches

Of course you might, you live in Alaska.  ;D ;D ;D

lol, not too dissimilar in a lot of parts of the State.
I do stuff.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
If you go by the UN Happiness Index, the happiest countries are all the most secular ones (Scandinavian countries in particular). I've had that used on me by an atheist.

Either something is wrong with the methodology in those surveys or something is wrong with religion, I guess.

Because of course their happiness is a result of their irreligion. It can't possibly have anything to do with stable societies, safety, environmental protection, low unemployment, universal healthcare, good education and such fripperies, can it?
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon

Because of course their happiness is a result of their irreligion. It can't possibly have anything to do with stable societies, safety, environmental protection, low unemployment, universal healthcare, good education and such fripperies, can it?

I prefer my misread of that as "frappuccinos".  :P

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches

Yeah, I guess you'd have to do more connecting of the dots to argue that irreligion caused those factors of happiness (for example the fact that so many Christians have been laissez-faire bootlickers for whatever historical reasons, while less atheists have been).
I do stuff.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches

I prefer my misread of that as "frappuccinos".  :P

I did that too lol.
I do stuff.

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru

I've often wondered on what basis happiness qualifies as a good even. Take Denis Diderot, for example, he believed humans have a duty to be happy. Where does that moral imperative come from? How is that claim justified?

So even if religion is actually the cause of happiness or lack thereof, I'm still left wondering where this final leap comes from.
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches

I've often wondered on what basis happiness qualifies as a good even. Take Denis Diderot, for example, he believed humans have a duty to be happy. Where does that moral imperative come from? How is that claim justified?

So even if religion is actually the cause of happiness or lack thereof, I'm still left wondering where this final leap comes from.

We can only take high levels of unhappiness for so long (just how many years probably varies) before we give up on life- either directly through suicide or indirectly through substance abuse or despondency. I'd say in that sense it's as much of an imperative as continuing to sleep and eat.

This is of course different from saying that one has an imperative to try and be as happy as they possibly can, which would seem to follow from Utilitarianism.
I do stuff.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Studies like this just make me ask questions that I don't have time to dig up the answers for.  I bet they're banking on that.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
Studies like this just make me ask questions that I don't have time to dig up the answers for.  I bet they're banking on that.
I do stuff.