Author Topic: Am I Still Orthodox?!  (Read 1642 times)

Offline cole

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: None at the moment
Am I Still Orthodox?!
« on: January 31, 2018, 11:55:46 AM »
Greetings, everyone! I wasn't sure if this was the correct forum to post in, but this doesn't seem to belong in Faith Issues, either. I was baptized Orthodox as a baby, and while I wasn't very keen on the Church growing up, I did return to it after college and came close to entering a monastery. Long story short, I drifted away from the Church again for some years, and practiced a couple different traditions of Buddhist meditation (nothing with deities or anything like that, just concentrating on the breath, mindfulness of bodily sensations and mental states, etc). At one point a couple years ago I "officially" became a Buddhist. Again, nothing with praying to any kind of deities or anything anti-Christian, but I did make a commitment to follow that spiritual path.

I've recently felt drawn back to the Orthodox Church, and as I've started to pray a little bit, read books, watch videos, the lightbulb just went off in my head: "Hey, wait a minute, am I still Orthodox?!" I'm not sure what the canonical procedure is in a case like mine, whether my having become a Buddhist means I'm now outside the Church. As far as I know one cannot be baptized a second time, but would I need to be chrismated, or make a confession of faith? Or am I fine and I don't need to worry? Thanks for reading, I'm very anxious to figure out my situation!

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Christ Is Risen!
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
Re: Am I Still Orthodox?!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 11:58:38 AM »
As far as I know you would need to make a Confession only, I'd ask a local priest.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 12:26:06 PM »
As I recall, the usual way of receiving a Christian who had left for a non-Christian religion was chrismation. If you went so far as to formally take refuge in the three jewels then that's a pretty clear cut departure from Christianity. Confession is used sometimes too. Ask a priest.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 12:27:57 PM by Iconodule »
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Nathanael

• Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 12:49:09 PM »
Yes, by confession. But it requires also awareness that (Buddhist) meditation is an anti-Christian act, it's some sort of self-deification or self-divinization (becoming spiritual without God) therefore diametrically opposed to the spiritual path of Orthodoxy ( I practised meditation for a while as well);
but because you write:
Again, nothing with praying to any kind of deities or anything anti-Christian, but I did make a commitment to follow that spiritual path.
maybe it wouldn't be bad if you read for example to book of Elder Sophrony Sakharov (who practised himself far-eastern meditations for 8 years): "We Shall See Him As He Is". It's a very iimpressive spiritual autobiography, where he writes down his experiences and insight with meditations. Or I recommend you also the book of Klaus Kenneth: "Born to hate reborn to love", who was a hindu for 7 years in India and 3 years a buddhist monk in Thailand and now he's an Orthodox Christian since meeting the above mentioned Elder Sophrony over 30 years ago.
But I see that Christ's Love has already embraced you.

Forgive me. I wish you all the best!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 12:59:46 PM by Nathanael »
Wisdom from Elder Seraphim - All our troubles come from...:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6eL2pwtVKs

The Goal of an Orthodox Monk: 'Incarnation of Love':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZishdSrYWM

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 10:26:52 PM »
Yes, by confession. But it requires also awareness that (Buddhist) meditation is an anti-Christian act, it's some sort of self-deification or self-divinization (becoming spiritual without God) therefore diametrically opposed to the spiritual path of Orthodoxy ( I practised meditation for a while as well);
but because you write:
Again, nothing with praying to any kind of deities or anything anti-Christian, but I did make a commitment to follow that spiritual path.
maybe it wouldn't be bad if you read for example to book of Elder Sophrony Sakharov (who practised himself far-eastern meditations for 8 years): "We Shall See Him As He Is". It's a very iimpressive spiritual autobiography, where he writes down his experiences and insight with meditations. Or I recommend you also the book of Klaus Kenneth: "Born to hate reborn to love", who was a hindu for 7 years in India and 3 years a buddhist monk in Thailand and now he's an Orthodox Christian since meeting the above mentioned Elder Sophrony over 30 years ago.

Ignore notions like those contained above, that you have to be "aware" of xyz, just turn to the light. Don't let anything stand in your way. Just ask a priest what to do and do it.
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Nathanael

• Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 10:07:40 AM »
but because you write:

Ignore notions like those contained above, that you have to be "aware" of xyz, just turn to the light. Don't let anything stand in your way. Just ask a priest what to do and do it.

Yes, maybe I gave you the wrong advice. Forgive me please.
Wisdom from Elder Seraphim - All our troubles come from...:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6eL2pwtVKs

The Goal of an Orthodox Monk: 'Incarnation of Love':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZishdSrYWM

Offline cole

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 12:00:18 PM »
Thanks so much for the replies, everyone! I see that my re-entering the Church might depend somewhat on the particular priest I go to, but that I'll at least have to give a confession of faith. Frankly, I'd be more comfortable with chrismation, but I'll go with whatever I'm told. In any case, I'm in East Asia for the moment, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to visit an Orthodox Church.

And I must say I agree with just following my heart in this, rather than requiring anything upfront re: Buddhism. That's one of the interesting things about this pull back to the Church--it didn't happen because of any great negative revelation about Buddhism, it just kind of happened out of nowhere. I feel like the best thing to do is to realize that, even if I'm not willing to say (Theravada) Buddhist meditation is anti-Christian (it's obviously not Christian, but I mean in the sense of being demonic or something), that shouldn't STOP me from wanting to come back to Christ. If anything, letting that be a stumbling block could well be the work of the evil one--for now I think it's probably better to ruminate less and pray more.

Thanks again for the help!

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 12:43:54 PM »
I think the usual Theravada meditation subjects (e.g. observing the breath, metta) are not demonic at all and can be very good. Buddhist thoughts on impermanence and mental formations have a lot of insights that can be helpfully carried into the Christian life.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

Offline cole

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 12:13:06 AM »
Yeah, I definitely agree. I feel that in particular mindfulness/vipassana/satipatthana practice is a great tool for dealing with negative/sinful states of mind and impulses. If you can understand on a visceral level just how fleeting those thoughts and impulses are, and how you don't have to identify with them, it can be much easier to let them go.

Most all of the Christian critiques of Buddhism that I've read, in my opinion, show a fairly deep ignorance of what the Buddha actually taught. But I suppose that's par for the course for humanity--obviously a great deal of modern atheist critique of Christianity has a lot of Orthodox Christians wanting to scream "But that's not what we believe!"  :)

Offline pasadi97

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 04:19:14 PM »
Do you believe in Budhism that you can become ACCORDING WIZTH THEIR BELIEFS a cow in SIberia in arctic temperature without clothes or a worm run after by many fish? Wha t is thrilling about it? Do you realize this is subhuman?

Yea for 70+ years gives you wisdom much inferior to Christianity but tell that to a cow in Siberia that did not eat 2 days. You had some wisdom some time ago be happy cow in Siberia even if you did not EAT grass 2 days. Remmeber you have not immortality so theoretically the next incarnation cycle is not guaranteed. THeoretically you may get to puff.... gone. Practically not. Why would you choose that?

BY the way your Christians friends using TRUE wisdom become superhumans are in Heaven enjoying 365 000 years party being son of God and immortal.

What wisdom is that that leaves you mortal, not son of God when you have that chance? The one you will probably detest. When you become a cow in SIberai , you don't but according to Budhism is possible, what help the budhism will be when little cow will be taken from you and sold? Little cow martial arts are great. Sure but you can do that is Christianity too. And instead of having a little cow you can  be immortal with all your family.

Hope you wake up others that are in same path.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 04:26:48 PM by pasadi97 »
God the Father is great. God the Father is good.

Offline pasadi97

• OC.net guru
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 04:56:54 PM »
You have to get out. If you get out get out in a smart way , fast enough but without getting harmed, prayerfully and without going to a way that will put you in harm. Ask God for a way that will be succesfull easy, that will save you and as many people as possible, without bringing bad and that is good in the eyes of God.

I think you may need to be rebaptized but I may be wrong. What I would do I would send an email to Athos and explain the situation. People there are very close to God.

I would also asjk God to guide me in the issue of reentering the Church and also to guide the people I ask for information for a happy ending and for a easy succesfull completion of the entrance. I would ask for guidance in other issues as well.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 05:04:49 PM by pasadi97 »
God the Father is great. God the Father is good.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 05:56:23 PM »
You have to get out.

I agree.  You have to get out.
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

thank you so much Mor ephrem you are a hero!

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 03:15:18 AM »
You are wanted here, Pasadi. Do not be discouraged, even if people don't agree--you admit you could be wrong.
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 01:40:55 PM »
You are wanted here, Pasadi. Do not be discouraged, even if people don't agree--you admit you could be wrong.

🙂
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

thank you so much Mor ephrem you are a hero!

Offline MariaJLM

• Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 02:42:18 AM »
If you desire to be Orthodox then you'd be Orthodox. I think in your case you'd likely be chrismated to re-enter the church. However, it's often a case by case basis so your local priest may take your case to the bishop and get his opinion. It shouldn't be too difficult, though. I know there's a woman in my parish who was baptized Orthodox as a child, left years later for the SDA's, and then recently returned to Orthodoxy. The priest insisted on chrismation for her.

Offline cole

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 11:01:19 AM »
Well, the part of pasadi's posts I agree with is that I need to be asking God for help and guidance.  :)

And thank you Maria, I'm also assuming that chrismation will be the way to go. As far as I know, one cannot be baptized in the name of the Trinity more than once, and I would be very skeptical if told otherwise, even by a priest--but my knowledge of all the intricacies of rules and canons and such is close to zero, so I could of course be wrong.

Thanks again for all the responses!

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 11:18:35 AM »
Most all of the Christian critiques of Buddhism that I've read, in my opinion, show a fairly deep ignorance of what the Buddha actually taught. But I suppose that's par for the course for humanity--obviously a great deal of modern atheist critique of Christianity has a lot of Orthodox Christians wanting to scream "But that's not what we believe!"  :)

Yeah, as a former Buddhist myself, I cringe when I see Christians presenting Buddhism as some kind of nihilism.
- Berdyaev

Offline MariaJLM

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 05:48:33 PM »
Well, the part of pasadi's posts I agree with is that I need to be asking God for help and guidance.  :)

And thank you Maria, I'm also assuming that chrismation will be the way to go. As far as I know, one cannot be baptized in the name of the Trinity more than once, and I would be very skeptical if told otherwise, even by a priest--but my knowledge of all the intricacies of rules and canons and such is close to zero, so I could of course be wrong.

Thanks again for all the responses!

That is correct. Baptism is a one time thing as it leaves a mark on the soul. You would be chrismated only.

Online augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 05:55:10 PM »
If you desire to be Orthodox then you'd be Orthodox. I think in your case you'd likely be chrismated to re-enter the church. However, it's often a case by case basis so your local priest may take your case to the bishop and get his opinion. It shouldn't be too difficult, though. I know there's a woman in my parish who was baptized Orthodox as a child, left years later for the SDA's, and then recently returned to Orthodoxy. The priest insisted on chrismation for her.
I ve never heard of of repeating chrismation in Romania . It's seen as a one time rite just as baptism.  I wonder how one can justify that.
If an orthodox returns to religious practice it's through confession.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline MariaJLM

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 09:13:40 PM »
I ve never heard of of repeating chrismation in Romania . It's seen as a one time rite just as baptism.  I wonder how one can justify that.

Might be a local Romanian custom because I was always taught that people who leave and then return have to be chrismated.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 10:01:02 PM »

I've also been a bit confused by the conversation, as I've never heard of anyone being re-chrismated (myself included, despite my long wandering in the ecclesiastical wilderness c. 2006-2016).

Offline MariaJLM

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 10:13:00 PM »

I've also been a bit confused by the conversation, as I've never heard of anyone being re-chrismated (myself included, despite my long wandering in the ecclesiastical wilderness c. 2006-2016).

Perhaps I misunderstood then, idk. I was always under the assumption that "reverts" were chrismated to come back into the faith.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 10:37:06 PM »
I've only heard of re-chrismation in cases of apostasy, and departing for Adventists would count as that in Orthodox books. Likewise Judaism, Islam, etc.
"Verily they that seek Thee, Lord, and keep the canons of Thy Holy Church shall never want any good thing.”
St. John the Merciful

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline MariaJLM

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 11:03:32 PM »
I've only heard of re-chrismation in cases of apostasy, and departing for Adventists would count as that in Orthodox books. Likewise Judaism, Islam, etc.

Makes sense since the case in my parish was a former SDA.

Offline Thomas

• Archon
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 12:26:34 AM »
From my Archbishop a response for the Antiochian Orthodox Church in North America:

Englewood, NJ • February 20, 2018

In response to numerous unnamed sources spreading confusion over the internet, His Eminence Metropolitan JOSEPH reaffirms the long-standing policy of the Antiochian Archdiocese, which is in accordance with the practice of the Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch and All the East, regarding the reception of converts to the Faith. To be clear, Holy Baptism in the Name of the Holy Trinity, followed by Holy Chrismation, is the normative means by which one is initiated into the Holy Church. When receiving those coming into Holy Orthodoxy from religious confessions who profess a belief in the Holy Trinity and baptize with water in the Name of Father, and of Son, and of the Holy Spirit, the Church from ancient times has done so through means of Holy Chrismation or a profession of the Faith – depending on the circumstances. When questions arise requiring discernment as to how a person is to be received into the Church, a priest must consult with his local bishop.

Thomas
Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 12:35:46 AM »
From my Archbishop a response for the Antiochian Orthodox Church in North America:

In response to numerous unnamed sources spreading confusion over the internet, His Eminence Metropolitan JOSEPH reaffirms the long-standing policy of the Antiochian Archdiocese, which is in accordance with the practice of the Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch and All the East, regarding the reception of converts to the Faith. To be clear, Holy Baptism in the Name of the Holy Trinity, followed by Holy Chrismation, is the normative means by which one is initiated into the Holy Church. When receiving those coming into Holy Orthodoxy from religious confessions who profess a belief in the Holy Trinity and baptize with water in the Name of Father, and of Son, and of the Holy Spirit, the Church from ancient times has done so through means of Holy Chrismation or a profession of the Faith – depending on the circumstances. When questions arise requiring discernment as to how a person is to be received into the Church, a priest must consult with his local bishop.

Thomas

This above quote seems to be addressing the situation of first-time converts, whereas the OP seems to be asking about people who were already Orthodox, converted to something else or lapsed/didn't practice their faith, and then wanted to return...?

Offline cole

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 12:53:26 AM »
Right. In my case I was baptized Orthodox as an infant, but several years ago I formally became a Buddhist in the Chinese Mahayana tradition (funny, since my practice and background was more in Thai/Burmese Theravada). So, because I made a formal commitment to follow the path of Buddhism to the exclusion of other religions, my question is really whether or not a confession of faith would be enough to return to the Church, or more likely, if chrismation will be the way--if departing the Church for the Adventists would count as apostasy then no doubt Buddhism would as well, haha. I'm aware that the situation for first-time converts to the Church would be different.

(Obviously, as with so many questions, the real answer is to ask a priest, but at the moment I'm quite far from any Orthodox Church and I might have to wait a little while until I'm back in the US.)

Online augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 03:00:17 AM »
Checked my Romanian dogmatics manual and it explicitly says that just as baptism , chrismation is a mystery that cannot be repeated.
Re-chrismation does sound like some bizarre, probably not older than 3-4 hundred years if that, practice.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:02:12 AM by augustin717 »
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2018, 06:23:17 AM »
Speaking purely academically here, apostates were typically received by chrismation in Byzantine times. St Nicholas Cabasilas  (14th century) says how baptism cannot be repeated for apostates, but the Church “merely signs their bodies with the divine chrism and adds no more” (The Life in Christ). There are first millennium sources attesting to this too but I don’t have them handy. Christians who converted to Islam and then repented were received this way in Byzantine times. Apparently fornicating with a Jewess was also enough to require this. If nowadays there is a different attitude that’s fine too. I would of course urge cole not to worry about it and just go with whatever is asked of him.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 06:24:53 AM by Iconodule »
- Berdyaev

Offline ErmyCath

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 11:15:53 AM »
I'm aware of someone who was received into Orthodoxy through baptism, but then reverted back to Roman Catholicism. When coming back to Orthodoxy from Catholicism, to be received back, the person was chrismated again following confession (just last Saturday, actually). This was the path determined appropriate by the bishop.
"You must have an opinion on everything and loudly confront everyone with it." - Cyrillic

Offline Thomas

• Archon
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 06:32:10 PM »

Thomas

This above quote seems to be addressing the situation of first-time converts, whereas the OP seems to be asking about people who were already Orthodox, converted to something else or lapsed/didn't practice their faith, and then wanted to return...?

I think the direction in the case you mentioned his  in this area " When questions arise requiring discernment as to how a person is to be received into the Church, a priest must consult with his local bishop." That is the only clear answer.

Thomas.

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2018, 08:17:59 AM »
As far as I know you would need to make a Confession only, I'd ask a local priest.

No such thing . . .
Learn meditation.