Author Topic: Has anyone done one of those ethnicity/ancestry DNA tests?  (Read 2514 times)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Censer-following zapivka-dipper
Re: Has anyone done one of those ethnicity/ancestry DNA tests?
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2018, 10:55:30 PM »
Genetic ancestry test users 'cherry-pick' which races to identify with

Ancestry testing is part of a rapidly growing, billion-dollar industry that claims to use DNA to tell people about the parts of the world from which their ancestors originated. In research published this week in the American Journal of Sociology, sociologists found that, rather than embrace all their test results, people who use genetic ancestry tests tend to selectively identify with ethnicities they view as positive while disregarding others.

"People often buy these genetic ancestry tests because they're looking for a sense of belonging or to confirm a story that's been passed down in their family," said Wendy Roth, associate professor in the department of sociology and the study's lead author. "But if the test results don't support what they want to believe, we found that people will often ignore the results or criticize them. We tend to cherry-pick the parts of our family story that we like most and want to emphasize."

That reminds me of when Oprah claimed she was Zulu after doing a DNA test.  The Zulu in South Africa:  "Um, no."
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2018, 12:34:19 AM »
British isles people who were English dominated but maintained a specifically "screw the English" identity?
Which English people?  The Anglos were subjugated by the Saxons, who were later subjugated by the Normands.  And then there are the Celts and the Pyx and etc, etc, etc, all whose descendants live on the contemporary British isles.  Yet, such services conflate the modern British nation and its many ethnicities.

Again, all that these services reveal is that one shares genetic traits common with others whose recent ancestors came from specific geographic areas.  They do not reveal one's ethnic makeup, just the recent geographical makeup, as they rely on the recent memory of their clients, not any multi generational controlled DNA sampling.

Nevermind all the French/Celt overlap and the Norwegian subjugation.  People whose ancestry traces through Great Britain might as well give up on meaningful results.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2018, 01:06:41 AM »
Celts were so incredibly diverse, very very few but language actually connected them...
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Christ Is Risen!
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2018, 08:13:25 AM »
What test gives the best results?
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline CarolS

• Lurker Extraordinaire
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2018, 08:31:05 AM »
I've heard that ancestry.com has the most diverse data base around there world and therefore is considered the most accurate. But, I got the Health plus Ancestry test from 23 and Me because I also wanted to test for any genetic markers related to disease.
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2018, 09:06:00 AM »
Celts were so incredibly diverse, very very few but language actually connected them...

Kind of like Turks maybe.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Sampson

• St. Sampson, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Chicago
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2018, 03:38:04 PM »
I've been wanting to do this for years, but the idea of having my DNA sold by the company I test with just kind of skeeves me out.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2018, 12:11:09 AM »
I've been wanting to do this for years, but the idea of having my DNA sold by the company I test with just kind of skeeves me out.

Right on:

Took an ancestry DNA test? You might be a 'genetic informant' unleashing secrets about your relatives
Popular genetic testing companies 23andMe and Ancestry.com are holding on to more than information about your family tree, which raises privacy concerns. Experts confirm DNA in these databases can be accessed by law enforcement and third party companies under certain circumstances, revealing intimate information about user’s medical history and biological relationships.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Censer-following zapivka-dipper
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2018, 12:34:43 AM »
But...but...I want to Instagram my adventure in Nigeria where I play dominoes with random people in Lagos, associating with my Yoruba (<3%) kin!
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2018, 01:12:23 AM »

Right on:

Took an ancestry DNA test? You might be a 'genetic informant' unleashing secrets about your relatives
Popular genetic testing companies 23andMe and Ancestry.com are holding on to more than information about your family tree, which raises privacy concerns. Experts confirm DNA in these databases can be accessed by law enforcement and third party companies under certain circumstances, revealing intimate information about user’s medical history and biological relationships.

Frankly if my cousin killed someone and they found them via my DNA.....I have no pity for that cousin....they killed someone.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2018, 01:20:37 AM »
Frankly if my cousin killed someone and they found them via my DNA.....I have no pity for that cousin....they killed someone.
What if... they came after you instead?

FBI Testimony on Microscopic Hair Analysis Contained Errors in at Least 90 Percent of Cases in Ongoing Review
Twenty-six of 28 FBI agent/analysts provided either testimony with erroneous statements or submitted laboratory reports with erroneous statements.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Sampson

• St. Sampson, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Chicago
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2018, 10:03:58 PM »

Right on:

Yeah, that's the other thing that kind of bothers me about it, even though I'd like to get some more specifics about certain parts of my family. When you test and sell out your DNA, you're not just letting information about yourself out, you're letting information about your family out without any of their consent.

Right on:

Law enforcement is really the last and least concern.

I'd be more concerned about corporate institutions trying to buy my DNA to determine health benefit eligibility or hiring processes. Or the possibility of snoopy relatives or "friends" trying to poke around in my genetic history. Or the possibility of someone using familial DNA to discriminate against others in that family.

I'm also not really even a fan of the idea that my DNA is then being sold off to as many research programs as they want, without me ever knowing who/when and without me profiting.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2018, 02:31:25 AM »

Kind of like Turks maybe.
Never thought of it that way, but pretty much, if you're including Tatars, Kazakhs and so on.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all.
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2018, 12:11:58 AM »
I used 23 and Me and was happy with the results I got back. They correlated strongly with the work I've already done with my family tree.
All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too
Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2018, 12:16:22 AM »
Yeah. Im mostly Spartan.  Keep me away from any pits. Or , keep others away from pits when around me. :o

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2018, 08:33:09 AM »
Yeah. Im mostly Spartan.  Keep me away from any pits boys.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2018, 08:24:44 PM »
Nothing like a virile meeting between warriors.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2018, 09:29:26 AM »

Right on:

Depends on the cousin, TBH.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2018, 06:10:26 PM »

Right on:

Depends on the cousin, TBH.
+1