Author Topic: Wanting to become Orthodox but have concerns  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Lexi

• Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of LR
Wanting to become Orthodox but have concerns
« on: November 29, 2017, 05:59:06 PM »
Hi!

I am currently RC, joined Easter of 2012. Prior to that, I was raised Southern Baptist and went through a "try new things" phase in college. When I discovered Catholicism, it was like I found something I was missing. It solved a good deal of my "problems" with the SBC. At the time, Orthodoxy was not even on the radar. From the RCIA perspective, the Orthodox were only mentioned as far as the Great Schism and not much else. I was not aware we even had an Orthodox church locally. So RC it was.

Here I am, almost 5 years later, and I've discovered Orthodoxy. I wish I'd found it first, honestly. I really want to become Orthodox. I feel like my reasons are valid, it is for sure the direction I want to go. But there is a part of me that is worried that I've just become dissolutioned with the RC church because of the length of time I've been there, or that it is just because the particular Orthodox Priest I have met is charismatic and the church is friendly, or other reasons. Basically I want to make sure it is for sure because it is right and true, and not for some other reason that may change.

Also besides introducing myself to the Priest and letting him know I'm interested in becoming Orthodox, I haven't met with him further. How does one go about that? Meeting in the office? Meet for food/coffee? Both good ideas? What about my kids, can I bring them when I meet him (all under school aged, SAHM). I do have some anxiety that may make me overthink these things, I'm not sure.

Online Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
Re: Wanting to become Orthodox but have concerns
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 06:11:04 PM »
Also besides introducing myself to the Priest and letting him know I'm interested in becoming Orthodox, I haven't met with him further. How does one go about that? Meeting in the office? Meet for food/coffee? Both good ideas?
Sure, assuming he keeps office hours. Some priests don't.

One easy way to iron this out is to stick around for whatever's offered after liturgy. Not all, not a lot of Orthodox churches have a coffee hour after liturgy. If the "LR" in your jurisdiction listing stands for Little Rock, I know they do.

And if not, attend liturgy and afterward say you would like to meet up some time and talk more. Let him set the venue.

What about my kids, can I bring them when I meet him (all under school aged, SAHM).
Sure. They're going to be part of this as much as you are, right?

I do have some anxiety that may make me overthink these things, I'm not sure.
I think you are overthinking it. Breathe easy. It's church, not a job interview. They probably want you there, even if your kids are little turds, which I'm sure they're not.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 06:48:22 PM »
What Agabus said, and welcome :) 

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 07:05:30 PM »
Hi!

I am currently RC, joined Easter of 2012. Prior to that, I was raised Southern Baptist and went through a "try new things" phase in college. When I discovered Catholicism, it was like I found something I was missing. It solved a good deal of my "problems" with the SBC. At the time, Orthodoxy was not even on the radar. From the RCIA perspective, the Orthodox were only mentioned as far as the Great Schism and not much else. I was not aware we even had an Orthodox church locally. So RC it was.

Here I am, almost 5 years later, and I've discovered Orthodoxy. I wish I'd found it first, honestly. I really want to become Orthodox. I feel like my reasons are valid, it is for sure the direction I want to go. But there is a part of me that is worried that I've just become dissolutioned with the RC church because of the length of time I've been there, or that it is just because the particular Orthodox Priest I have met is charismatic and the church is friendly, or other reasons. Basically I want to make sure it is for sure because it is right and true, and not for some other reason that may change.

Also besides introducing myself to the Priest and letting him know I'm interested in becoming Orthodox, I haven't met with him further. How does one go about that? Meeting in the office? Meet for food/coffee? Both good ideas? What about my kids, can I bring them when I meet him (all under school aged, SAHM). I do have some anxiety that may make me overthink these things, I'm not sure.

Not everything we sense in our spirits can be explained intellectually. Go, "taste and see that the Lord is good."
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Lexi

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 08:21:05 PM »
Also besides introducing myself to the Priest and letting him know I'm interested in becoming Orthodox, I haven't met with him further. How does one go about that? Meeting in the office? Meet for food/coffee? Both good ideas?
Sure, assuming he keeps office hours. Some priests don't.

One easy way to iron this out is to stick around for whatever's offered after liturgy. Not all, not a lot of Orthodox churches have a coffee hour after liturgy. If the "LR" in your jurisdiction listing stands for Little Rock, I know they do.

And if not, attend liturgy and afterward say you would like to meet up some time and talk more. Let him set the venue.

I usually attend fellowship hour, well probably about half the time. Sometimes the kids are behaving poorly and we just have to leave. I only just now realized I could be taking them to Sunday School while fellowship hour is going on, have not gotten a chance to actually take them. Anyway when I have gone, other people have usually been talking with him, if I even see him.

What about my kids, can I bring them when I meet him (all under school aged, SAHM).
Sure. They're going to be part of this as much as you are, right?

I do have some anxiety that may make me overthink these things, I'm not sure.
I think you are overthinking it. Breathe easy. It's church, not a job interview. They probably want you there, even if your kids are little turds, which I'm sure they're not.

Well about the kids, I don't know if you have ever taken 3 kids under kindergarten age anywhere, but it is hard to focus while being responsible for all of them, it limits the venues you can meet with someone. Like the only place I can think of right now is a fast food restaurant with an indoor play place, or a park with a "toddler level" play area. Maybe I'm overthinking it still, I've just had bad experiences taking the kids to "office" environments in the past and it's almost impossible to concentrate on an adult conversation while trying to keep track of littles.

Online Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 09:08:46 PM »
Well about the kids, I don't know if you have ever taken 3 kids under kindergarten age anywhere, but it is hard to focus while being responsible for all of them, it limits the venues you can meet with someone. Like the only place I can think of right now is a fast food restaurant with an indoor play place, or a park with a "toddler level" play area. Maybe I'm overthinking it still, I've just had bad experiences taking the kids to "office" environments in the past and it's almost impossible to concentrate on an adult conversation while trying to keep track of littles.

That's been my experience for years. You have my sympathy. But it also feels a little like a convenient excuse because you're nervous.

BTW, most of my catechesis was at a McDonalds for similar reasons.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Online Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 09:16:15 PM »
I usually attend fellowship hour, well probably about half the time. Sometimes the kids are behaving poorly and we just have to leave. I only just now realized I could be taking them to Sunday School while fellowship hour is going on, have not gotten a chance to actually take them. Anyway when I have gone, other people have usually been talking with him, if I even see him.

I'm getting the impression that you're somewhat reserved, but if it's important enough that you want to get this kick started, you're just going to have to make a presence and say, "Hey, can we meet?" You don't have to interrupt a conversation just to stand nearby and jump in when an opening appears.

And if you're not comfortable about that, have you tried email, FB or other social media? That's always a crapshoot, but it's better than waiting indefinitely.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 09:28:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Lexi!

Offline Lexi

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 09:57:52 PM »

That's been my experience for years. You have my sympathy. But it also feels a little like a convenient excuse because you're nervous.

Thanks, I think you are right.

Offline Lexi

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 10:05:17 PM »

I'm getting the impression that you're somewhat reserved, but if it's important enough that you want to get this kick started, you're just going to have to make a presence and say, "Hey, can we meet?" You don't have to interrupt a conversation just to stand nearby and jump in when an opening appears.

And if you're not comfortable about that, have you tried email, FB or other social media? That's always a crapshoot, but it's better than waiting indefinitely.

I really am reserved, and the people are fellowship hour are extremely friendly and talkative. I've met more people in the few months I've been attending Divine Liturgy than in the 6 years I've been attending Mass (and I even went to daily Mass for a while). People who actually remember me, not just introduce themselves and forget me.

Actually email is the first way we made contact, so it works. If I don't get ahold of him this Sunday, I'll do email. Last Sunday I was planning to put the kids in Sunday school, but it was cancelled so I had to leave pretty quickly with the kids. And they had a 40 day blessing so he was not early at the fellowship hour.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 10:40:30 PM »
Meet the priest in office or at a food place.  Either is good.  Also, try to attend some Liturgies.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 11:03:13 PM »

Fries, the holy secret.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • Milhouse van Houten in a Raymond Chandler novel
    • A conservative blog for peace
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Roman Rite
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 11:40:19 PM »
I really want to become Orthodox. I feel like my reasons are valid, it is for sure the direction I want to go.

As a non-Orthodox guest I can't preach here but why do you really want to become Orthodox? What are your reasons? I'd just like to read them.
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

Russian icons and Byzantine prayers at home; Ukrainian Catholic parish once a month. Traditional Latin Mass most other Sundays.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Lexi

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 01:06:23 AM »
Several reasons I suppose.

When I became Catholic, there were certain things that I didn't really agree with, but accepted because it was part of the Catholic package. Papal infallibility doesn't sit well with me. Jesus was the only sinless man, no human can be infallible. I just do not agree with that part of Catholic teaching. At the time, I thought it was just something I'd learn to accept, since Catholicism was such a big difference from Southern Baptist, and what not.

I'll post more later, it's super late and I'm going to bed.

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • Milhouse van Houten in a Raymond Chandler novel
    • A conservative blog for peace
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Roman Rite
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 01:21:20 AM »
OK; thanks.
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

Russian icons and Byzantine prayers at home; Ukrainian Catholic parish once a month. Traditional Latin Mass most other Sundays.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 12:32:05 PM »
I really want to become Orthodox. I feel like my reasons are valid, it is for sure the direction I want to go.

As a non-Orthodox guest I can't preach here but why do you really want to become Orthodox? What are your reasons? I'd just like to read them.

I'm pretty sure she just explained in the original post that she's not yet certain how to characterize the pull of the Church on her heart. Let's just call it the still, small voice of the Holy Spirit.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 01:02:28 PM »
Another option as far as meeting might depend on the parish, but if there are older children (belonging to a Priest or Deacon), sometimes one of them can watch your kids. while you talk, right there at the Church.

I would ask the Priest about that and express your concern, he might have encountered this 10 times before and has a plan for similar situations
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Lexi

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 03:41:58 PM »
Did not get to talk to the priest as taking my son to Sunday school was more difficult than I imagined and they had some other sort of thing going on today during fellowship hour. They had a "Parish Assembly"...what is that? There were not a lot of details. I had a sick child this week so I didn't stay anyway.

I did however, see his wife. She came up to me and hugged me like she knew me, I don't recall meeting her, but I may have. Anyway I had a lovely time meeting the Sunday school teacher and the kids who are my kids age, they were charming.

Anyway I'll send an email this week or see him at the Christmas kids party next Sunday. Or both. Both would probably work well :)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 03:51:32 PM »
Parish assembly is just a general meeting where parishioners hear from the parish council about finances and other important stuff and voice their concerns. And they vote in new officers. They’re usually held at least once a year. If you’re new it would probably not be very interesting for you. Glad to hear that people are welcoming and pleasant though.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 03:56:32 PM by Iconodule »
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 04:13:38 PM »
Glad it went well.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline LivenotoneviL

• An Indecisive Sinner
  • High Elder
  • 404 - Quote not found
  • Jurisdiction: Not a Catechumen
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2017, 08:56:50 PM »

I'm pretty sure she just explained in the original post that she's not yet certain how to characterize the pull of the Church on her heart. Let's just call it the still, small voice of the Holy Spirit.

How does one know that it is God and not Satan?

IDK, I'm still figuring that out unfortunately.
"Our wickedness shall not overpower the unspeakable goodness and mercy of God; our dullness shall not overpower God's wisdom, nor our infirmity God's omnipotence."
-Saint John of Kronstadt

Keep shining, star!

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2017, 09:14:04 PM »
It will happen eventually, Lexi!  Glad you met some people; that helps everything, I think.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline maneki_neko

• Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 02:27:44 AM »
At the time, Orthodoxy was not even on the radar. From the RCIA perspective, the Orthodox were only mentioned as far as the Great Schism and not much else. I was not aware we even had an Orthodox church locally. So RC it was.

Hi Lexi, and welcome! One of my fellow Catechumen at our parish first heard about Orthodoxy through a brief RCIA mention too. He dropped RCIA after pulling back that thread, also has 3 small children. Our priest works a special schedule for him and meets him weekdays at a more convenient location.
主哀れめよ!

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 10:05:44 AM »
I haven't met with him further. How does one go about that? Meeting in the office? Meet for food/coffee? Both good ideas?
1 Go to liturgy
2 when its over, wait for him and tell him you want to become orthodox then ask him what to do next

Offline Lexi

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 10:24:45 AM »
I haven't met with him further. How does one go about that? Meeting in the office? Meet for food/coffee? Both good ideas?
1 Go to liturgy
2 when its over, wait for him and tell him you want to become orthodox then ask him what to do next

Thanks.

Online Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 10:36:23 AM »
If you’re new lucky, it would probably not never be very interesting for you.

A good parish assembly is when the money guy gets up and says, "If you look at the statement, we're all in the black, our biggest expenses are electricity and the priest, and our mission work has cost a little more than we projected but the parish has stepped up and covered the cost. We're budgeting for some expanded mission work, and increased contributions to support that are in the spreadsheet, so plan to give to the food pantry and needy moms and baby funds as well as your parish pledge. We're also budgeting for the spring Greek-Russian-Moldavian-Aleut festival to bring in a certain amount, so we're either going to have to work hard to make that happen or cover the expenses after the fact. All the rest of our plans have been thoroughly discussed through the year and I don't necessarily see a need to retread old ground, but does anyone have any questions? Good. Who is ready to elect parish officers? Nominations? Suzy, Bill, Barsanuphrius, Cuthbert, Roy and Olga? Great. Vote for the candidates? Looks like that's our new parish council. We'll have our first meeting next week. Unless there's any other business, do I have a motion to adjourn?"

I've seen it happen. Once.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 10:46:50 AM »

A good parish assembly is when the money guy gets up and says, "If you look at the statement, we're all in the black, our biggest expenses are electricity and the priest, and our mission work has cost a little more than we projected but the parish has stepped up and covered the cost. We're budgeting for some expanded mission work, and increased contributions to support that are in the spreadsheet, so plan to give to the food pantry and needy moms and baby funds as well as your parish pledge. We're also budgeting for the spring Greek-Russian-Moldavian-Aleut festival to bring in a certain amount, so we're either going to have to work hard to make that happen or cover the expenses after the fact. All the rest of our plans have been thoroughly discussed through the year and I don't necessarily see a need to retread old ground, but does anyone have any questions? Good. Who is ready to elect parish officers? Nominations? Suzy, Bill, Barsanuphrius, Cuthbert, Roy and Olga? Great. Vote for the candidates? Looks like that's our new parish council. We'll have our first meeting next week. Unless there's any other business, do I have a motion to adjourn?"

How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 10:52:57 AM »

Yeah, I was on a parish council once and things were quite harmonious, both within the council and between the council and the rest of the parish, but I'm told from everybody that this is highly unusual.
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2017, 11:41:50 AM »
I took about 12 years to understand "Orthodoxy" or "Orthodox" ways of Christianity.
Learn meditation.

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2017, 12:04:06 PM »

why would you say such a thing ?

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 01:55:46 AM »

St. Ignatius of Loyola's discernment of spirits may be helpful.  If it brings you closer to God, you start experiencing the fruits of the Holy Spirit, markedly peace.  If it distances you from God, you start experiencing their opposite, markedly despondency.  And never make an important decision when despondent.
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2017, 04:44:37 AM »

St. Ignatius of Loyola's discernment of spirits may be helpful.  If it brings you closer to God, you start experiencing the fruits of the Holy Spirit, markedly peace.  If it distances you from God, you start experiencing their opposite, markedly despondency.  And never make an important decision when despondent.
there is bad peace, also i have read some disturbing things about this person, he hardly qualify as someone who has decernment.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:54:14 AM by Vanhyo »

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2017, 12:06:16 PM »
there is bad peace, also i have read some disturbing things about this person, he hardly qualify as someone who has decernment.
I don't like St. Ignatius either, much less the order he founded, but parts of his Spiritual Exercises have been helpful to me, though I don't pretend that the method above has always given me full assurance of my choices.
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2017, 06:27:29 PM »

Gosh!

Offline LivenotoneviL

• An Indecisive Sinner
  • High Elder
  • 404 - Quote not found
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2017, 03:45:34 AM »

Gosh!

For now, I'm more confident - I decided to attend the Tridentine Mass again last week, and in that context I ironically could discern that these thoughts reeling me back to the Roman Church were not from God - as I could not find peace in the Mass or in the prayers, even after the consecration, in which my soul felt consistent emptiness. I specifically asked God to allow myself to find spiritual peace with the presence of Christ in the Catholic Church. It wasn't a desire for a test; it was me asking God as a lost child to make known what His Will is for me. If He wants me to be a soldier for the Roman Catholic Church, I asked God to please let me know that this is the True Church by the Body and Blood of Christ in the Church. Allow me, by the authority of Christ, to forget all worldly cares, to still my worries, to experience God's Love for me. To be embraced by Christ, who Loves me.

Emptiness; nothing but spiritual anarchy and no calmness. It took me a while to reflect on it, but I came to the conclusion - particularly with some other signs from God that occurred - that God wants me to be Orthodox.

I have a lot of work to do in the context of Orthodox spirituality overall, however. I am a grave sinner, unfortunately, and my spiritual life has been distorted by years and years of condemnable-to-hell sins.

However, I wish I wasn't so fickle.

I know that I seem EXTREMELY polarizing in my posts here, being very pro-Catholic or very anti-Catholic. However, I consider this a carryover from my Catholic faith, in that I was drilled into my head - mainly from the Traditionalist factions of the Catholic Church - that you are either for Christ or you aren't. You either give your life for Christ and are enemies with everyone else, or you are an enemy of Christ. Which is why when I am pro-Orthodoxy, I am very anti-Catholic, and when I am pro-Catholic, I am very anti-Orthodox.

I just see that as the reality of Christ - even though I can be prideful with my posts.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 03:53:41 AM by LivenotoneviL »
"Our wickedness shall not overpower the unspeakable goodness and mercy of God; our dullness shall not overpower God's wisdom, nor our infirmity God's omnipotence."
-Saint John of Kronstadt

Keep shining, star!

Offline LivenotoneviL

• An Indecisive Sinner
  • High Elder
  • 404 - Quote not found
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2017, 03:56:09 AM »
I don't like St. Ignatius either, much less the order he founded, but parts of his Spiritual Exercises have been helpful to me, though I don't pretend that the method above has always given me full assurance of my choices.

What problems would you have with the Jesuits?  ::)

There was one Catholic priest - a Franciscan Friar - I would listen to online, and I even attended a speech at an event he gave, and he told a story about how in the airport he had his habit on, and a guy came up to him and asked "are you a Jesuit?" and he said "God, I hope not."
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 03:56:24 AM by LivenotoneviL »
-Saint John of Kronstadt

Keep shining, star!

Offline LivenotoneviL

• An Indecisive Sinner
  • High Elder
  • 404 - Quote not found
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2017, 03:59:40 AM »

Gosh!

For now, I'm more confident - I decided to attend the Tridentine Mass again last week, and in that context I ironically could discern that these thoughts reeling me back to the Roman Church were not from God - as I could not find peace in the Mass or in the prayers, even after the consecration, in which my soul felt consistent emptiness. I specifically asked God to allow myself to find spiritual peace with the presence of Christ in the Catholic Church. It wasn't a desire for a test; it was me asking God as a lost child to make known what His Will is for me. If He wants me to be a soldier for the Roman Catholic Church, I asked God to please let me know that this is the True Church by the Body and Blood of Christ in the Church. Allow me, by the authority of Christ, to forget all worldly cares, to still my worries, to experience God's Love for me. To be embraced by Christ, who Loves me.

Emptiness; nothing but spiritual anarchy and no calmness. It took me a while to reflect on it, but I came to the conclusion - particularly with some other signs from God that occurred - that God wants me to be Orthodox.

I have a lot of work to do in the context of Orthodox spirituality overall, however. I am a grave sinner, unfortunately, and my spiritual life has been distorted by years and years of condemnable-to-hell sins.

I know that I seem EXTREMELY polarizing in my posts here, being very pro-Catholic or very anti-Catholic. However, I consider this a carryover from my Catholic faith, in that I was drilled into my head - mainly from the Traditionalist factions of the Catholic Church - that you are either for Christ or you aren't. You either give your life for Christ and are enemies with everyone else, or you are an enemy of Christ. Which is why when I am pro-Orthodoxy, I am very anti-Catholic, and when I am pro-Catholic, I am very anti-Orthodox.

I just see that as the reality of Christ - even though I can be prideful with my posts.

This is in addition to me reflecting on my complete knowledge of the Papacy - so it isn't simply doing "what I feel" by the way. Nonetheless, I still think that I have tried everything I could possibly do, and God wants me to be Orthodox in all directions - spiritually and knowledge-wise, and I don't think that epistemology alone is succinct to fine the Truth.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:00:08 AM by LivenotoneviL »
-Saint John of Kronstadt

Keep shining, star!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2017, 09:27:02 PM »

Gosh!

You missed the meaning of my reaction. Why would the Evil One be calling people to either the Orthodox or the Catholic church? I'm boggled by how you think.

Offline Stepan

• Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2017, 10:53:41 PM »
Hi!

Perhaps attend the liturgy for a bit, and any inquirers classes if they offer them and make it a matter of prayer. Count the cost,  it shouldn't be an overnight process. I studied Orthodoxy for a number of years (I too came from a Protestant background) before we even worshiped in an Orthodox Church. I gradually started following a rule of prayer utilizing the "little red" Antiochian prayer book, we eventually attended classes, in time met with the priests, and were eventually chrismated. We have been Orthodox for about 8 years now and we have only grown in the conviction that Orthodoxy is the Church.
"By the grace of God I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner."