Author Topic: Hell eternal?  (Read 4144 times)

Offline Ant

• Faith: Church of The East
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Hell eternal?
« on: October 11, 2017, 11:22:58 PM »
I've done very limited research on this topic over the years but I've heard that there is no official doctrine on what hell truly is. I remember reading somewhere that there's 4 "official" views of hell? From it being a literal fire, to hell (according to St. Isaac) being an effect, etc. One thing that orthodoxy doesn't seem to sway on, though, and seems to be in full agreement with, is the idea that hell is eternal. If so, how would one make sense of this:

"IN BRIEF

637 In his human soul united to his divine person, the dead Christ went down to the realm of the dead. He opened heaven's gates for the just who had gone before him."

Found on:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p122a5p1.htm

So apparently hell (as I understand it, is to be "deprived of the vision of God") is NOT eternal? Or is it just eternal for the damned and not everlasting for the Just? Can someone make sense of this for me, please?

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Hell eternal?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 12:06:43 AM »
Which "hell" are we talking about? The modern English usage elides or at least conflates several historical theological concepts and translates multiple words of classical languages. So you need to define your terms and St. Isaac's before we can hope to proceed.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 12:14:49 AM by Porter ODoran »
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Online LivenotoneviL

• An Indecisive Sinner
  • High Elder
  • 404 - Quote not found
  • Jurisdiction: Not a Catechumen
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 12:11:27 AM »
You seem to be describing the Roman Catholic idea of hell in contrast against the Orthodox idea of hell.

Let me see if I - not even a catachumen - can describe it, and if I am erroneous, please correct me someone LEST I teach it incorrectly.

In Orthodoxy, there is a distinction that exists which isn't there in Roman Catholicism between "the realm of the dead" / "hades" and "hell."

Hell according to Orthodoxy is not actually the deprivation of God, but it is actually the experience of God which, due to the soul's hatred and disdain towards God on earth, experiences the greatest amount of pain. It isn't like a location, but rather a state of existence of experiencing God's glory in a painful manner.

In fact, Heaven and Hell both have the same source of God - Heaven is the same experience of Hell, but it is how the soul perceives God's glory.

Saint Paul describes it in 1 Corinthians 3:12-15
"Now if any man build upon this foundation, gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble: Every man's work shall be manifest; for the day of the Lord shall declare it, because it shall be revealed in fire; and the fire shall try every man's work, of what sort it is. If any man's work abide, which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work burn, he shall suffer loss; but he himself shall be saved, yet so as by fire."

In fact, actual "hell" will not really be experienced until after the Great Judgment, where both body and soul experience the Glory of God in a much greater extent.

"Hades" is the state of existence of the state of death, which people before Christ's death and after Christ's death have experienced - however, the souls will receive a particular taste of the glory or the eternal punishment to come, kind of like a precursor to Hell or Heaven.
This is called "Particular Judgment," which occurs before the Great Judgment. The Virgin Mary is the only exception of experiencing Heaven in its fullness due to her sinlessness, which is why her Dormition is so significant.
I believe that the "Harrowing of Hell" represents Christ spreading the Good News to the souls of the dead, rather than physically moving them from one location to another.

The Roman Catholic Church - while describing hell, heaven, and purgatory as states of being, tend to view them with a greater identity of physical or metaphysical locations, with different levels of each. The "realm of the dead" traditionally has been described as Limbo, which was viewed as a sort of level of hell - the highest level of hell (in terms of the least amount of pain) in which people were taken out and brought to heaven. In fact, purgatory according to Aquinas I believe was viewed as just a "cleaning room" in hell. There is no distinction between such locations and ideas before and after the Great Judgment, other than the souls return to their prior location with their bodies and souls together.

Hell, from a Roman perspective, is seen as the deprivation of God - the cause of all good things - which causes eternal and infinite suffering, as there is no good thing in hell.
The Orthodox Church counters this by pointing to Psalm 139.

This is how I understood it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 12:14:28 AM by LivenotoneviL »
"Our wickedness shall not overpower the unspeakable goodness and mercy of God; our dullness shall not overpower God's wisdom, nor our infirmity God's omnipotence."
-Saint John of Kronstadt

Keep shining, star!

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 01:06:54 AM »
I've done very limited research on this topic over the years but I've heard that there is no official doctrine on what hell truly is. I remember reading somewhere that there's 4 "official" views of hell? From it being a literal fire, to hell (according to St. Isaac) being an effect, etc. One thing that orthodoxy doesn't seem to sway on, though, and seems to be in full agreement with, is the idea that hell is eternal. If so, how would one make sense of this:

"IN BRIEF

637 In his human soul united to his divine person, the dead Christ went down to the realm of the dead. He opened heaven's gates for the just who had gone before him."

Found on:

So apparently hell (as I understand it, is to be "deprived of the vision of God") is NOT eternal? Or is it just eternal for the damned and not everlasting for the Just? Can someone make sense of this for me, please?

Eternal hell means just more good view for the christians, that sinners will have torment forever. But in reality hell is another planet prison with bodies not souls and it is not eternal, maybe souls can be dematerialised and then it can become worst thing that can happen for somebody but no, hell is not eternal. About that I don't believe that people are not become immortal before Christ.

Offline Ant

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 01:10:59 AM »
Thank you both for your replies.

Which "hell" are we talking about? The modern English usage elides or at least conflates several historical theological concepts and translates multiple words of classical languages. So you need to define your terms and St. Isaac's before we can hope to proceed.

I'd like to know what the orthodox view is. St. Isaac tells us when a man becomes conscious that he's sinned against love, that a greater torment doesn't exist. He says for that reason he believes that the effect of Gehenna is bitter regret. As mentioned, an effect and not a literal place.

Hell according to Orthodoxy is not actually the deprivation of God, but it is actually the experience of God which, due to the soul's hatred and disdain towards God on earth, experiences the greatest amount of pain. It isn't like a location, but rather a state of existence of experiencing God's glory in a painful manner.

Are there any examples that have been used by the early Church Fathers to explain this state of existence you mention? St. Isaac mentions regret, which does seem to fit into your definition - a state that does create large amounts of pain within people.

Also, according to the above link, Hell and Sheol are the same thing. It claims that Sheol is simply the Hebrew word for Hell, which is also (correct me if I'm mistaken) considered the "Realm of the dead."

In fact, actual "hell" will not really be experienced until after the Great Judgment, where both body and soul experience the Glory of God in a much greater extent.

If "hell" really is the realm of the spiritually dead and Jesus did, in fact, descend into hell, then it existed 2,000 years ago and probably exists today as well, no? I wonder if hell is the spiritual state of any man that isn't experiencing theoria - the beatific vision. Is it too simple a statement to say that if a man is not enlightened, that he is in hell?

I believe that the "Harrowing of Hell" represents Christ spreading the Good News to the souls of the dead, rather than physically moving them from one location to another.

But again, if hell is not an actual place, then Jesus wouldn't really need to move anyone anywhere, would He? Because heaven was within them already. He descended into "hell" and relayed the Good News to them to bring them to spiritual heights (heights that existed within their very own soul) and thus to free them from the darkness that overshadowed their souls, so that they can finally see the Light. Is there any reason why this would not be true?

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 11:52:26 AM »
To avoid confusion and misunderstandings, i advice you to avoid heterodox sources of information.

To your question - This is how i understand it:

Prior to the day of judgement there are two places, one of bliss - where the souls of the God pleasing people who died are stored and another place which is God's prison, for the bad guys.
When you die, you are examined and depending on what state you are found, you can end up in either places. If you end up in God's prison, this is not final, it is possible to still escape by the intercession of God's saints and those who are still alive.

After the day of resurrection, there will be a final judgement. God's people will inherit heaven, this heaven is everlasting. Those who have united themselves with the devil will inherit Hell forever, this hell is final and everlasting.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:54:50 AM by Vanhyo »

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Übermensch
  • Jurisdiction: Nietzsche
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 12:32:21 PM »
To avoid confusion and misunderstandings, i advice you to avoid heterodox sources of information.

Prior to the day of judgement there are two places, one of bliss - where the souls of the God pleasing people who died are stored and another place which is God's prison, for the bad guys.
When you die, you are examined and depending on what state you are found, you can end up in either places. If you end up in God's prison, this is not final, it is possible to still escape by the intercession of God's saints and those who are still alive.

After the day of resurrection, there will be a final judgement. God's people will inherit heaven, this heaven is everlasting. Those who have united themselves with the devil will inherit Hell forever, this hell is final and everlasting.

Talk about sick ideas.
'Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil' (Exodus 23:2)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 01:24:28 PM »
For not everything that is granted in the resurrection a return to existence will return to the same kind of life. There is a wide interval between those who have been purified, and those who still need purification. For those in whose life-time here the purification by the laver has preceded, there is a restoration to a kindred state. Now, to the pure, freedom from passion is that kindred state, and that in this freedom from passion blessedness consists, admits of no dispute. But as for those whose weaknesses have become inveterate, and to whom no purgation of their defilement has been applied, no mystic water, no invocation of the Divine power, no amendment by repentance, it is absolutely necessary that they should come to be in something proper to their case,—just as the furnace is the proper thing for gold alloyed with dross,—in order that, the vice which has been mixed up in them being melted away after long succeeding ages, their nature may be restored pure again to God. Since, then, there is a cleansing virtue in fire and water, they who by the mystic water have washed away the defilement of their sin have no further need of the other form of purification, while they who have not been admitted to that form of purgation must needs be purified by fire.

Saint Gregory of Nyssa, The Great Catechism
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Offline Ant

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 04:42:25 PM »

Prior to the day of judgement there are two places, one of bliss - where the souls of the God pleasing people who died are stored and another place which is God's prison, for the bad guys.'

After the day of resurrection, there will be a final judgement. God's people will inherit heaven, this heaven is everlasting.

Those who have united themselves with the devil will inherit Hell forever, this hell is final and everlasting.

Is there anything from the early Church Fathers that you can provide that would help substantiate this claim? Because (and unless I'm mistaken - someone please correct me if I'm wrong) I believe that the official Orthodox view is that Jesus did, in fact, descend into "hell." Maybe I'm missing something? Is there a specific name for God's "prison" that I not only may be more familiar with, but a name that would distinguish it from what Orthodoxy has come to understand as being "hell"?

"There is a wide interval between those who have been purified, and those who still need purification."

But even this suggests that hell isn't eternal, wouldn't you say? "...those who still need purification" means what exactly? What happens after they've been purified? Do they remain in hell? Is hell full to the brim with righteous, purified souls? If so, are they counted as part of the "just" that Jesus descended into hell to free? Or, since they're in hell, regardless of their purity, they remain there for eternity?

"just as the furnace is the proper thing for gold alloyed with dross,—in order that, the vice which has been mixed up in them being melted away after long succeeding ages, their nature may be restored pure again to God."

This, also, seems to suggest that hell isn't everlasting and is meant for purification. It's meant to restore people to their original state (the way God originally created them), which is pure. I mean St. Isaac tells us that even the demons, at one point in time, were pure and experiencing divine vision - the same vision that many of our saints experienced - which, perhaps, is the reason he is (or has been deemed) a universalist.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:43:43 PM by Ant »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 04:48:19 PM »
Yes, Ant, Saint Gregory of Nyssa is a universalist. This was not an uncommon view among church fathers, though it was also not the only one. You might be interested to read the book Christ the Conqueror of Hell by Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev, which gives a pretty comprehensive overview of early Church teaching regarding Christ's descent into hell. I discussed the book here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,72367.0.html
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Offline Ant

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 05:14:49 PM »
Thank you, Iconodule. Sounds very interesting. I'll look into it right now.

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 10:14:31 AM »
I think the parable of Lazarus and the rich man  is preview enough to fear it. Still we can pray for the rich man.
Antiochian OC NA

Beware the wrath of the guardians of "love."

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 10:50:32 AM »
I think the parable of Lazarus and the rich man  is preview enough to fear it. Still we can pray for the rich man.
Would the rich man want that? And would God want that?

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 11:00:14 AM »
God said He is of the living not the dead; the rich man is earthly departed but living ( Matthew 22:32). St. Paul preaches to pray for all (1Timothy2:1)I think the rich man would appreciate prayer for himself and his 5 brothers unless they heard the Gospel. I know this is a aparable.
Antiochian OC NA

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 11:01:36 AM »

"After the day of resurrection, there will be a final judgement. God's people will inherit heaven, this heaven is everlasting. Those who have united themselves with the devil will inherit Hell forever, this hell is final and everlasting."

People who believe and support this, these losers, half men half monkeys, these sadistic criminals and ungifted failures are certainly the ones who truly deserve to suffer forever and ever.

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 11:02:52 AM »
God said He is of the living not the dead; the rich man is earthly departed but living ( Matthew 22:32). St. Paul preaches to pray for all (1Timothy2:1)I think the rich man would appreciate prayer for himself and his 5 brothers unless they heard the Gospel. I know this is a aparable.
So if God wants it and is all-powerful, and if the rich man wants it, then why not just release him from hell?

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Hatred is learned behaviour.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 11:04:49 AM »
People who believe and support this, these losers, half men half monkeys, these sadistic criminals and ungifted failures are certainly the ones who truly deserve to suffer forever and ever.

'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 11:05:56 AM »

I Believe the likelyhood that it Will turn out that way is far greater than you think.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 11:07:58 AM »

I Believe the likelyhood that it Will turn out that way is far greater than you think.

Don't believe everything you think.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 11:12:27 AM »
So if God wants it and is all-powerful, and if the rich man wants it, then why not just release him from hell?
Maybe God has.
Antiochian OC NA

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2017, 11:13:21 AM »

That is right. Intelligent (not). You just said that I was right while trying to say the opposite and pretend to be clever.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 11:14:50 AM by beebert »

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2017, 11:14:27 AM »
Maybe God has.
He must have. Either that or he is weak or evil or doesnt exist

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2017, 11:21:54 AM »

That is right. Intelligent (not). You just said that I was right while trying to say the opposite and pretend to be clever.

You just didn't understand what I said, but I'll cut you some slack because English is not your first language.

Anyway, you don't believe in gods and devils and hells and such superstitions. Just let it go, already.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 11:22:17 AM by Arachne »

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2017, 11:33:00 AM »
Maybe God has.
Or you have a problem with the possibility of a happy ending?
Antiochian OC NA

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2017, 11:36:18 AM »

You just didn't understand what I said, but I'll cut you some slack because English is not your first language.

Anyway, you don't believe in gods and devils and hells and such superstitions. Just let it go, already.
I consider holding many of the views that many of you hold here to be criminal and a crime against life and humanity.

I understood what you Said. One shouldnt Always believe what one thinks, and I Said that you think not that the likelyhood is big that the supporters of hell Will End up in hell, to which you replied that one should not Believe Always what one thinks. Ergo: The likelyhood is big that hell-worshippers deserve to suffer forever

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2017, 11:36:59 AM »
Maybe God has.
A happy ending according to you would be?

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but Antioch and All the East
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2017, 11:44:00 AM »
Everybody gets a prize!!!
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2017, 11:46:58 AM »
Beebert, dude...get over yourself.  You clearly are not in any state of mind to have a cogent discussion on this issue, pretending to be the special rebel you really are not.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2017, 11:48:48 AM »

I consider holding many of the views that many of you hold here to be criminal and a crime against life and humanity.

I understood what you Said. One shouldnt Always believe what one thinks, and I Said that you think not that the likelyhood is big that the supporters of hell Will End up in hell, to which you replied that one should not Believe Always what one thinks. Ergo: The likelyhood is big that hell-worshippers deserve to suffer forever

What I and several others have been saying, in this thread and others, is that we can't know exactly what the experience of hell is like, or how long it lasts, or much less, who will end up in it. We don't, and can't, have the whole story. All we can do is our best, and trust to God for the rest.

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2017, 11:49:55 AM »
Maybe God has.
A happy ending according to you would be?
Not according to me but the parable; that the rich man is with Lazarus.in the bosom of Abraham. Next question, of course.
Antiochian OC NA

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2017, 12:21:26 PM »

Your opinions are all stupid, every single one of them.  None of your thoughts has even a scintilla of truth and reason, not a single one.  Everything you say is wrong.  Everything you think is wrong.  It is likely that your real-life actions are also wrong.  Everything about you reflects severe delusion, a delusion you appear to be madly in love with, a delusion you want to couple with, a delusion whose children you want to bring into the world so that you are not alone.  You are most to be pitied. 
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2017, 01:16:10 PM »

Your opinions are all stupid, every single one of them.  None of your thoughts has even a scintilla of truth and reason, not a single one.  Everything you say is wrong.  Everything you think is wrong.  It is likely that your real-life actions are also wrong.  Everything about you reflects severe delusion, a delusion you appear to be madly in love with, a delusion you want to couple with, a delusion whose children you want to bring into the world so that you are not alone.  You are most to be pitied.
Lol. A genius has appeared. To even finish reading what you wrote is to waste time
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 01:17:16 PM by beebert »

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but Antioch and All the East
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2017, 01:47:10 PM »
Beebs,

I hope that you look back on your contribution to this forum--in the not too distant future--and gain an appreciation for how ridiculous most of it has been. Believe what you want, an evangelist I am not, but your pubescent ranting is pretty annoying and utterly unconvincing.

You don't offend me, scare me, or teach me. And that's not because I'm righteous or strong in faith. It's because your posts are dross. They're mostly weak regurgitations of stuff we've all heard before, or maybe even spouted in the past.

It's doubtful that you'll heed our wish that you leave these threads alone, but just imagine how silly it appears for you to project your so-called Nietzschean "strength" and "wisdom" in the form of shrill, witless tirades. There are better (or different) outlets/forums to direct your whining--please use them.

But again, I hope you come to see this. In the meantime, will you take your foot off the gas a bit and quit derailing threads? They get derailed enough as is. I hope you waste your time reading this, as you waste ours quite frequently.
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2017, 02:25:19 PM »
Beebs,

I hope that you look back on your contribution to this forum--in the not too distant future--and gain an appreciation for how ridiculous most of it has been. Believe what you want, an evangelist I am not, but your pubescent ranting is pretty annoying and utterly unconvincing.

You don't offend me, scare me, or teach me. And that's not because I'm righteous or strong in faith. It's because your posts are dross. They're mostly weak regurgitations of stuff we've all heard before, or maybe even spouted in the past.

It's doubtful that you'll heed our wish that you leave these threads alone, but just imagine how silly it appears for you to project your so-called Nietzschean "strength" and "wisdom" in the form of shrill, witless tirades. There are better (or different) outlets/forums to direct your whining--please use them.

But again, I hope you come to see this. In the meantime, will you take your foot off the gas a bit and quit derailing threads? They get derailed enough as is. I hope you waste your time reading this, as you waste ours quite frequently.
I read it and it was also a Waste of time. It gave me nothing. It smells like it is written by a liar. No substance. No understanding.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2017, 02:36:25 PM »
If there is anything more we need to understand about you, please enlighten us. We are not psychic.

We have watched you have a very public meltdown on this forum, where what little faith you had crumbled in front of us through your hysterical fear of hell and your complete inability to take any advice our membership offered. It doesn't look like the fear left you together with the faith, however. There's nothing Über about your flailings.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2017, 02:36:53 PM »
Beebs,

You don't offend me, scare me, or teach me.

But again, I hope you come to see this. In the meantime, will you take your foot off the gas a bit and quit derailing threads? They get derailed enough as is.

I'll second this post.   Beebert, it's not even so much your opinions that matter,  but your methods, your injection of too much personality/ emotivism, and use of the forum to engage other people that is counter productive.

Not that i know much about forums,  but to me The means you use I do not think fit well with this forum,  and the internet could probably best serve you elsewhere

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2017, 02:42:30 PM »

Lol. A genius has appeared. To even finish reading what you wrote is to waste time

But you did finish reading it. 

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2017, 02:46:38 PM »

I did unfortunately. Never again

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2017, 03:43:38 PM »

I did unfortunately. Never again

Wow, you're so cool and ahead of the curve on everything. 

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2017, 07:36:57 PM »
You realize that, according to you, this statement makes you a loser, half man, half monkey, sadistic criminal against life and humanity and ungifted failure, don't you?
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2017, 07:40:59 PM »
... just imagine how silly it appears for you to project your so-called Nietzschean "strength" and "wisdom" in the form of shrill, witless tirades.
It seems that Nietzsche's Über Mann is especially appealing to the unter mensch, ubiquitously so.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:41:15 PM by Sharbel »
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ

Online LivenotoneviL

• An Indecisive Sinner
  • High Elder
  • 404 - Quote not found
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2017, 08:57:45 PM »
Can any one confirm, ANYWAYS, if my ideas are correct? This is how I've come to understand it from an Orthodox perspective. I don't want to be accidentally heterodox.
"Our wickedness shall not overpower the unspeakable goodness and mercy of God; our dullness shall not overpower God's wisdom, nor our infirmity God's omnipotence."
-Saint John of Kronstadt

Keep shining, star!

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2017, 09:35:56 PM »
You’ll never be accidentally heterodox if you simply take no views on the matter, and concentrate on your own personal journey to the Kingdom as well as the journey of those beloved around you.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Online LivenotoneviL

• An Indecisive Sinner
  • High Elder
  • 404 - Quote not found
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2017, 09:55:30 PM »
You’ll never be accidentally heterodox if you simply take no views on the matter, and concentrate on your own personal journey to the Kingdom as well as the journey of those beloved around you.

Isn't learning about the Faith part of the personal journey to the Kingdom? Obviously not all of it (can't forget the prayer, fasting, and charity!), but an important part nonetheless?

I just want to be clarified that I hold the Orthodox understanding of the Afterlife.
-Saint John of Kronstadt

Keep shining, star!

Offline Pravoslavbob

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Out for a stroll...
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2017, 01:07:19 AM »
Beebs,

He's a nihilist.  He believes in nothing:

(Another snippet from the Big Lebowski)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5J_kao6mwA
Atheists have noetic deficiencies.

The more I know, the less I know.   ;)