Author Topic: how does churching after chatecumens are baptised work?  (Read 266 times)

Offline OrthoDisco

• Faith: Orthodox
how does churching after chatecumens are baptised work?
« on: October 08, 2017, 02:23:24 PM »
Hi. Im reading about  churching (specifically the part about walking the boys through the alter after baptism) and I thought it was something that happened for the Orthodox newborns . Is this usual to have (Catechumens) a toddler (boy) and their male parent be churched (walked through the alter) after their baptism? This happened and  I think it occurred before the chrismation. Any insight would be helpful on this becuase apparently some of our older members were very confused and troubled by this. Im just trying to understand.
okthxbai
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 02:33:47 PM by OrthoDisco »

Offline OrthoDisco

Re: how does churching after chatecumens are baptised work?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 02:46:19 PM »
Hi. Im reading about  churching (specifically the part about walking the boys through the alter after baptism) and I thought it was something that happened for the Orthodox newborns . Is this usual to have (Catechumens) a toddler (boy) and their male parent be churched (walked through the alter) after their baptism? This happened and  I think it occurred before the chrismation. Any insight would be helpful on this becuase apparently some of our older members were very confused and troubled by this. Im just trying to understand.
okthxbai
Sorry, it was after christmation. And they went through the center doors, not the side doors.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 05:11:08 PM »
I did not go through the Royal Doors.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline OrthoDisco

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 01:12:14 PM »
I did not go through the Royal Doors.

Ok, sounds like it happens the.n
Our family are converts and none of our boys were taken through the alter, nor other boys who were baptised since then.
Well perhaps its just not something frequently seen apart from the newborns, and thats why the older crowd was disturbed/confused.
I think our priest might just be "learning as he goes" along with teh rest of us.

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 01:37:35 PM »
okthxbai
Sorry, it was after christmation. And they went through the center doors, not the side doors.
In our parish it is only infant males, and they enter through the south deacon's door, and exit through the north deacon's door. Female infants are taken up on the iconostasis before both Chirst and the Theotokos, and then both are laid on the amvon before the the royal doors. This happens right after communion of the clergy, before the chalice is brought out for communion of the faithful. Our son is adopted and he was baptized when he was 2, he was not taken through the sanctuary.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 05:11:30 PM »

I was just at a baptism this Saturday. 

The infant male - after baptism/chrismation, was carried in through the deacon's doors and back out the other side...not the Royal Gates.  It is only the male children who enter the altar - because there is a chance one day they may be members of the clergy.  Girls are held up before the Royal Gates, before the Altar Table...but, just outside the threshold of the Altar.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria