Author Topic: Eastern Orthodox traditions  (Read 662 times)

Offline eaden

• Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: SSPX, Supplied
Eastern Orthodox traditions
« on: September 30, 2017, 02:12:40 AM »
What are the orthodox widespread traditions, prayers, icons, devotions...?

I mean, catholics have brown scapular, rosary and so on. What are the eastern traditions and devotions?

God bless
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 02:13:29 AM by eaden »
"The Mass is the sacrifice of Calvary rendered present on our altars in an unbloody manner." Council of Trent

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: Eastern Orthodox traditions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 06:35:37 AM »
I assume you mean private devotions. We have our normal daily cycle of prayers, whether one uses the hours or morning or evening prayers. We have the Psalter. We have lots of canons and akathists that can be prayed in a home setting. Then we have short, repeated prayers, sometimes using prayer ropes. The most popular of these is the Jesus prayer.
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • Milhouse van Houten in a Raymond Chandler novel
    • A conservative blog for peace
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Roman Rite
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 09:04:49 AM »
I'd fine-tune that by adding that traditionally the Jesus Prayer and prayer ropes are more a monastic thing than a rank-and-file Orthodox one. Thye're not widespread like the rosary among lay Roman Catholics.
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

Russian icons and Byzantine prayers at home; Ukrainian Catholic parish once a month. Traditional Latin Mass most other Sundays.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 09:10:44 AM »
The Jesus prayer was being recommended to laymen at least as far back as the 1300's (Sts Symeon of Thessaloniki and Gregory Palamas exhorted it). Then there is an exhortation attributed to Chrysostom.
It seems to me komboschini are pretty widespread too. Even Greeks who aren't particularly religious sometimes have them in their wrists (not to be confused with the worry beads).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 09:12:31 AM by Iconodule »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 09:43:28 AM »
The Jesus prayer was being recommended to laymen at least as far back as the 1300's (Sts Symeon of Thessaloniki and Gregory Palamas exhorted it). Then there is an exhortation attributed to Chrysostom.
It seems to me komboschini are pretty widespread too. Even Greeks who aren't particularly religious sometimes have them in their wrists (not to be confused with the worry beads).

Exactly. In Serbia, Bosnia and amogn Polish Orthodox people wearing the prayer ropes are something very usual and popular. It's a kind of witness, plus sure, it serves for prayer (I knwo, not in all cases). I would say that prayer ropes are mroe sued among Orthodox than rosarsies among Catholics (especially beside churhc, in every day life). At least it applies to Eastern Europe. Maybe it's because prayer ropes are easier to wear, and rosarsie can't be (only the ones in the ring form).
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 09:45:44 AM »
My experience of Orthodox parishes in America is that the Jesus Prayer and the prayer ropes aren't popular with the cradle Orthodox.
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

Russian icons and Byzantine prayers at home; Ukrainian Catholic parish once a month. Traditional Latin Mass most other Sundays.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 10:10:55 AM »
My experience of Orthodox parishes in America is that the Jesus Prayer and the prayer ropes aren't popular with the cradle Orthodox.

That's the key-word. Yeah, the Jesus prayer is not practiced at parishes (in most cases). But by people. In the street, or privately, at home.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 10:33:10 AM »
I understand. Rephrasing: I've found that it's not popular among born Orthodox I've known.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 10:54:28 AM »
Making sweeping generalizations based on your private anecdotes does seem to be your MO.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 11:32:10 AM »

That's the key-word. Yeah, the Jesus prayer is not practiced at parishes (in most cases). But by people. In the street, or privately, at home.
However, the Acathist to Jesus Christ was very popular in parishes in Ukraine especially in the afternoon or evening during Lent.  It has the Jesus Prayer as a refrain sung by the Congregation.  It is being introduced to North America as an influence of the 4th wave.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Our Holy Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Holy Phanar
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 11:54:20 AM »
I understand. Rephrasing: I've found that it's not popular among born Orthodox I've known.
It is what it is.

Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica said that in his youth, all of the villagers carried their prayer ropes with them as they went about their daily business. He lamented the death of this practice in contemporary Serbia.

St. Kosmas Aitolos also tried to revive this practice where it had died in the Greek countryside. He taught the villagers how to keep this prayer throughout the day and handed out prayer ropes as he traveled.

I will say that one of the more moving experiences I had this past summer was waiting in a hotel lobby in Greece and overhearing a yiayia almost inaudibly saying the Jesus prayer over and over.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 11:56:02 AM by Antonis »
Somewhere on Athos, Antonis groans, and the skulls of the holy brethren with him!

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 12:00:25 PM »
It is what it is.

Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica said that in his youth, all of the villagers carried their prayer ropes with them as they went about their daily business. He lamented the death of this practice in contemporary Serbia.

St. Kosmas Aitolos also tried to revive this practice where it had died in the Greek countryside. He taught the villagers how to keep this prayer throughout the day and handed out prayer ropes as he traveled.

I will say that one of the more moving experiences I had this past summer was waiting in a hotel lobby in Greece and overhearing a yiayia almost inaudibly saying the Jesus prayer over and over.

Right.  Cultural practices are nice, but not synonymous with Church.
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 01:10:27 PM »

However, the Acathist to Jesus Christ was very popular in parishes in Ukraine especially in the afternoon or evening during Lent.  It has the Jesus Prayer as a refrain sung by the Congregation.  It is being introduced to North America as an influence of the 4th wave.
that's the Transylvanian tradition as well. Akathist on Friday nights in lent, Paraklisis on Wednesdays.
She hears, upon that water without sound,
A voice that cries, “The tomb in Palestine
Is not the porch of spirits lingering.
It is the grave of Jesus, where he lay.”
We live in an old chaos of the sun,
Or old dependency of day and night,
Or island solitude, unsponsored, free,
Of that wide water, inescapable.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 01:15:04 PM »
It is what it is.

Probably it depends on region. My family and their friends from central and Serbia do wear prayer ropes. I see also very foten prayer ropes worn by people in public transport in Belgrade.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 02:01:12 PM »
It is what it is.

Probably it depends on region. My family and their friends from central and Serbia do wear prayer ropes. I see also very foten prayer ropes worn by people in public transport in Belgrade.
I know the practice you're describing, because Greeks do it too. What he described, though, was villagers holding theirs and praying with them throughout the day. I think the advent of wearable 33-knot prayer ropes is rather recent, but I'm not sure.
Somewhere on Athos, Antonis groans, and the skulls of the holy brethren with him!

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 02:26:11 PM »
I saw some elder Arabs doing the komboskini before and during the Divine Liturgy in the Metropolitan Cathedral in São Paulo, which is anything but traditional.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline thenerdpaul

• Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 02:45:24 PM »
which is anything but traditional.
The Old Russian Rite says hi.
I have now seen two baby spiders over the last several days, each perhaps 2mm long. Sure they're harmless now, but what about when they grow up? They probably know that I killed their mom.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 02:50:46 PM »
I'd fine-tune that by adding that traditionally the Jesus Prayer and prayer ropes are more a monastic thing than a rank-and-file Orthodox one. Thye're not widespread like the rosary among lay Roman Catholics.
What?  ???  In a recent visit to Greece, I saw many locals fingering a prayer rope in public, such as when walking on streets or sitting on the beach. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 02:53:59 PM by Sharbel »
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 03:06:35 PM »
It is what it is.

I know the practice you're describing, because Greeks do it too. What he described, though, was villagers holding theirs and praying with them throughout the day. I think the advent of wearable 33-knot prayer ropes is rather recent, but I'm not sure.

Oh, now I see the difference.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 03:28:06 PM »
What?  ???  In a recent visit to Greece, I saw many locals fingering a prayer rope in public, such as when walking on streets or sitting on the beach.
I wish those were prayer ropes.  :P

Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 03:30:46 PM »
Probably worry beads, the Greek answer to fidget spinners.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2017, 12:02:44 AM »
which is anything but traditional.
The Old Russian Rite says hi.
I was talking about the Metropolitan Cathedral, not the komboskini usage.  :P
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2017, 12:23:25 AM »
Thanks for teaching me about non-monastic laity in Orthodox countries wearing wrist prayer ropes and saying the Jesus Prayer.

High-church libertarian
Blog