Author Topic: Orthodox orphanage in Guatemala forced to surrender its property  (Read 492 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Mother Ines, abbess of the Holy Trinity Monastery in Amatitlan, Guatemala, and head of the Hogar Rafael Ayau Orphanage in Guatemala City, has announced on the Hogar Rafael Ayau Facebook page and the Friends Helping Rafal Ayau site that the children’s home is being forced to abandon its property in the capital city.

As previously reported, although the orphanage and property had been given to Mother Ines and the nuns of Holy Trinity in 1996 by former President Arzú for a span of fifty years, the Attorney General sent a letter on March 20 stating that the state was repossessing the property, needing it to take care of children with more immediate needs, and that the legal agreement between the government and orphanage was never properly registered and so not binding.

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/103565.htm
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Online William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
Re: Orthodox orphanage in Guatemala forced to surrender its property
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 10:58:10 AM »
Mother Ines, abbess of the Holy Trinity Monastery in Amatitlan, Guatemala, and head of the Hogar Rafael Ayau Orphanage in Guatemala City, has announced on the Hogar Rafael Ayau Facebook page and the Friends Helping Rafal Ayau site that the children’s home is being forced to abandon its property in the capital city.

As previously reported, although the orphanage and property had been given to Mother Ines and the nuns of Holy Trinity in 1996 by former President Arzú for a span of fifty years, the Attorney General sent a letter on March 20 stating that the state was repossessing the property, needing it to take care of children with more immediate needs, and that the legal agreement between the government and orphanage was never properly registered and so not binding.

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/103565.htm

I think one of the Churches I attend in Chicago does mission trips there.  If you have any questions or anything let me know, I'll ask the priest next time I talk to him.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:58:30 AM by William T »

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 04:00:25 PM »
Cruel...
"Now therefore, when thou didst pray, and Sara thy daughter in law, I did bring the remembrance of your prayers before the Holy One: and when thou didst bury the dead, I was with thee likewise." (Righteous Tobit 12:12)

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 09:22:38 PM »
Many Latin American nations seem to have a real love-hate relationship with religion. Torn psychologically between Rome and Washington, no doubt.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 10:03:46 PM »
Many Latin American nations seem to have a real love-hate relationship with religion. Torn psychologically between Rome and WashingtonJerusalem/Azusa, no doubt.
FTFY
"Now therefore, when thou didst pray, and Sara thy daughter in law, I did bring the remembrance of your prayers before the Holy One: and when thou didst bury the dead, I was with thee likewise." (Righteous Tobit 12:12)

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 10:43:38 PM »
Many Latin American nations seem to have a real love-hate relationship with religion. Torn psychologically between Rome and WashingtonJerusalem/Azusa, no doubt.
FTFY

Granted. But what I'm talking about is the fierce strain of anti-clericalism and secularism that crops up in politics from time to time. Here in the U.S. that's a constant, but in Latin countries it alternates with politicians being or claiming to be obedient sons of the church.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 12:31:24 AM »
Granted. But what I'm talking about is the fierce strain of anti-clericalism and secularism that crops up in politics from time to time. Here in the U.S. that's a constant, but in Latin countries it alternates with politicians being or claiming to be obedient sons of the church.
I think this is the result of building so many Freemasonlands over then deeply pious peoples. It seems it just never added up. America, on the other hand, had it's own populace crafted around the secularist institutions.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 12:34:47 AM by RaphaCam »

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 12:58:57 AM »
What is a "Freemasonland"?

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 01:27:28 AM »
Simón Bolívar, Peter I of Brazil, Francisco de Miranda, San Martín... Those were all Freemasons, and so was the rest of the oligarchs who tried to craft Latin America in their image and likeness, and so are their descendants who still hold disproportionate powers.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • Faith: God
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 06:10:42 PM »
You can donate, support or learn more about them here:

Friends of the Hogar Rafael Ayau

(posted with permission)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 06:11:18 PM by Asteriktos »
"It is not as a child that I believe and confess Jesus Christ. My hosanna is born of a furnace of doubt." - Dostoevsky

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Protokentarchos
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
    • Return to Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 06:21:50 PM »
Lord, have mercy.

FTFY

I get the Azusa reference, but why Jerusalem?  I hope you're not using that as shorthand to indicate Pentecostalism/Charismatism.  They have no authentic connection to Jerusalem whatsoever.  It's best not to legitimize their madness.
Worship is theology, so a church which brings Evangelical and Charismatic "praise & worship" into its corporate life is no longer Orthodox.  It is, by definition, heterodox.  Those "Orthodox" leaders who make theological arguments for the incorporation of heteropraxis into the life of the Church are heretics.

http://returntoorthodoxy.com/

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 10:27:24 PM »
I get the Azusa reference, but why Jerusalem?  I hope you're not using that as shorthand to indicate Pentecostalism/Charismatism.  They have no authentic connection to Jerusalem whatsoever.  It's best not to legitimize their madness.
They don't, but they're 110% sure they are. Just a politico-religious extension of US cultural imperialism.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Protokentarchos
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
    • Return to Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 09:30:51 AM »
They don't, but they're 110% sure they are. Just a politico-religious extension of US cultural imperialism.

I understand that and I agree.  I still wouldn't have used the term "Jerusalem" to indicate them though.  It's playing into their debased fantasies.  They are about as connected to the Apostolic Church and Jerusalem as they are to Lost Civilization of Mu.
Worship is theology, so a church which brings Evangelical and Charismatic "praise & worship" into its corporate life is no longer Orthodox.  It is, by definition, heterodox.  Those "Orthodox" leaders who make theological arguments for the incorporation of heteropraxis into the life of the Church are heretics.

http://returntoorthodoxy.com/

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 10:11:38 AM »
FTFY

Latin American anti-clericalism has more in common with Paris than Washington. US Protestantism was never such a bulwark of old social orders as Catholicism was in Latin countries. The US founders were less radical, for one thing because a lot of the social transformation had already happened in 17th century England. Men like Bolivar or Juarez were facing far more residual feudalism in their countries and viewed the Church as a bulwark of the social order they were combatting. All liberalism is to some degree paternalistic and authoritarian but Latin America's is especially so, I think, because of the entrenched (and sometimes popular) social institutions they were trying to root out. Their measures could be fairly drastic- for instance, Mexico tried banning public processions, outlawing religious orders, stripping clergy of civil rights, etc. resulting in the Cristero war.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 01:16:22 PM »
FTFY

Latin American anti-clericalism has more in common with Paris than Washington. US Protestantism was never such a bulwark of old social orders as Catholicism was in Latin countries. The US founders were less radical, for one thing because a lot of the social transformation had already happened in 17th century England. Men like Bolivar or Juarez were facing far more residual feudalism in their countries and viewed the Church as a bulwark of the social order they were combatting. All liberalism is to some degree paternalistic and authoritarian but Latin America's is especially so, I think, because of the entrenched (and sometimes popular) social institutions they were trying to root out. Their measures could be fairly drastic- for instance, Mexico tried banning public processions, outlawing religious orders, stripping clergy of civil rights, etc. resulting in the Cristero war.

Don't pretend the United States is not a beacon of secularism, or hasn't vast influence in the Americas.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 01:18:08 PM »
We have influence in many, mostly nefarious ways, but militant laicite isn't one of them.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 01:52:41 PM »
We have influence in many, mostly nefarious ways, but militant laicite isn't one of them.

Well you couldn't be more wrong about that.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 01:54:05 PM »

Well you couldn't be more wrong about that.

::)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 02:47:24 PM »
The secularist institutions in Latin America have deep roots, I'm sure the US had a lot of influence on that, but it was mostly pre-Big Stick.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 03:17:41 PM »
The secularist institutions in Latin America have deep roots, I'm sure the US had a lot of influence on that, but it was mostly pre-Big Stick.

I'm not making a claim of direct intervention in religious matters. What I'm pointing out is the striking difference of U.S. culture in religious matters (we have developed a puritanical horror of all religion in all our official institutions), and that, of course, the U.S. is a huge influence for various reasons.