Author Topic: Divine Music  (Read 718 times)

Offline ComingofAge

• The Eternal Student
  • Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, Υἱὲ τοῦ Θεοῦ, ἐλέησόν ἡμᾶς
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch
Divine Music
« on: January 01, 2017, 11:50:40 PM »
Brothers and sisters in Christ,

I am still new to Orthodoxy. I have been attending my parish for 11 months now and am a catechumen. That being said, I still have some things to learn when it comes to the Orthodox Church, but I will say that I have learned quite a bit thus far. One thing that has stood out to me since the beginning of my journey is the music of the Orthodox Church. It moves me in a way that I just cannot express in words. Honestly, I listen to the Orthodox chants from all over the world more nowadays than any other type of music. Why? Because all other music just totally pales in comparison. I would like to share a quick story if I may:

The other day I was listening to some Byzantine music in Greek and even though I don't know much Greek at all (although I have learned more since being in the church) I could still feel the Holy Spirit moving very powerfully within the music. All of a sudden, I just began bursting with tears and crying, "Thank you Lord Jesus!" And I felt a peace that goes beyond understanding and a sense of inner healing which was truly divine. Things like this have never happened to me, but ever since coming to Orthodoxy I have been having experiences like this. Brothers and sisters, why does this music do this to me? Truly it is not an invention of man, but something that is inspired by God Himself. At this point, I don't even know if I can call it music anymore as I feel that the term just doesn't even do it justice.

Brothers and sisters, what are your thoughts on this?

In Christ+
Let us open our mouths and sing hymns of salvation. Come and fall down in the house of the Lord and say: Pardon our sins, you who hung upon the cross and rose from the dead, and yet are forever in the bosom of the Father.

+ Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen. +

Offline Gentleman

• Manners maketh man
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Brussels
Re: Divine Music
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 07:41:02 AM »
Thank you. I like your story. I think it's a divine gift of contrition. Treasure it!
I pray Thee, O Merciful Lord, for all the peoples of the earth, that they may come to know Thee by Thy Holy Spirit.

www.journeytoorthodoxy.com/

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Freemason Homo Church Infiltrator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 09:29:22 PM »
I always cry when I hear "Now the Powers of Heaven".
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 09:07:05 AM »
I always cry when I hear "Now the Powers of Heaven".

Indeed, it's a beautiful text, chant (doesn't matter, whichs tyl) and the moment of the Presanctified Liturgy... So moving.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 09:58:50 AM »
Brothers and sisters in Christ,

I am still new to Orthodoxy. I have been attending my parish for 11 months now and am a catechumen. That being said, I still have some things to learn when it comes to the Orthodox Church, but I will say that I have learned quite a bit thus far. One thing that has stood out to me since the beginning of my journey is the music of the Orthodox Church. It moves me in a way that I just cannot express in words. Honestly, I listen to the Orthodox chants from all over the world more nowadays than any other type of music. Why? Because all other music just totally pales in comparison. I would like to share a quick story if I may:

The other day I was listening to some Byzantine music in Greek and even though I don't know much Greek at all (although I have learned more since being in the church) I could still feel the Holy Spirit moving very powerfully within the music. All of a sudden, I just began bursting with tears and crying, "Thank you Lord Jesus!" And I felt a peace that goes beyond understanding and a sense of inner healing which was truly divine. Things like this have never happened to me, but ever since coming to Orthodoxy I have been having experiences like this. Brothers and sisters, why does this music do this to me? Truly it is not an invention of man, but something that is inspired by God Himself. At this point, I don't even know if I can call it music anymore as I feel that the term just doesn't even do it justice.

Brothers and sisters, what are your thoughts on this?

In Christ+

Even though he was wrong about a lot, Luther said that music, after theology, was the greatest gift to man. 

I'm a chanter (psalti) myself and my experience with the Byzantine music is more cerebral than emotionally moving.  Russian music tends to have more of an emotional effect on me.  I'm happy that the music helps you draw closer to God.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • OC.net guru
  • 1539: Seal of Ivan IV
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 11:16:30 AM »
i of course listen to chants from Slavic churches such as Valaam choir agni parthene or the multidude of Bulgarian orthodox chants  you can find on youtube sometimes i find serbian ones which are also nice!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 11:16:51 AM by Orthodox_Slav »
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life!- Paschal troparion

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 02:39:31 PM »
Very nice story.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 02:43:06 PM by Jackson02 »

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 02:40:43 PM »
i of course listen to chants from Slavic churches such as Valaam choir agni parthene or the multidude of Bulgarian orthodox chants  you can find on youtube sometimes i find serbian ones which are also nice!

Valaam's rendition of Agni Parthene is truly awesome. It makes you want to become a monk.

(P.S I love your new avatar!)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 02:40:54 PM by Jackson02 »

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • OC.net guru
  • 1539: Seal of Ivan IV
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 06:13:19 PM »

Valaam's rendition of Agni Parthene is truly awesome. It makes you want to become a monk.

(P.S I love your new avatar!)

Yes as you may already know it is my goal to become a monk.

Thank you for the compliment I decided Novgorod mandylion was getting a bit old  :)
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life!- Paschal troparion

Offline ComingofAge

• The Eternal Student
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 01:26:12 PM »

The chanting of the Valaam monks is what made me want to go visit an Orthodox Church for the very first time. That was over 2.5 years ago, and of course I am Orthodox now, but I still listen to those chants all the time.

This is specifically the video I am referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOOuuU0VUYQ&t=582s

And it was these chants that made me go, "Okay, next Sunday I am going to the nearest Orthodox Church."

I have no comment on these chants at all...there are just no words, so I will remain silent and let each listener react as he may. All I have to say is, Thank God!

Even though he was wrong about a lot, Luther said that music, after theology, was the greatest gift to man. 

And isn't it astounding to hear how much theology is packed into the chants of the Church? Since the very beginning of my journey, the one thing that has amazed me about music within Orthodoxy is that it's not just for entertainment or emotionalism (even though we may be brought to some emotion at times), but instead it is for imparting Truth. I have discovered the most profound theological truths just by being in church, even more so than I have by reading any book! (Even though I absolutely love reading books too lol). There is something to be said for this.
Let us open our mouths and sing hymns of salvation. Come and fall down in the house of the Lord and say: Pardon our sins, you who hung upon the cross and rose from the dead, and yet are forever in the bosom of the Father.

+ Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen. +

Offline ComingofAge

• The Eternal Student
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 12:01:39 AM »
"Great benefit and abundant sanctification are to be gained from spiritual psalmody, and it can become the foundation for the whole spiritual life. For the words of the hymns purify the soul, and the Holy Spirit enters immediately into the soul that sings them."

-St. John Chrysostom