Author Topic: Bishop Vigil of Paris  (Read 469 times)

Offline Subdeacon Michael

• Subdeacon Cyprian
  • Elder
    • The Orthodox Church of the Gauls on Facebook
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: The Orthodox Church of the Gauls
Bishop Vigil of Paris
« on: December 09, 2016, 12:15:06 PM »
Hello, all.

I'm trying to expand English-language online resources (Wikipedia, Facebook, &c.) about the predominantly francophone Communion of Western Orthodox Churches. The only member church of which I have been unable to find much information is the French Orthodox Church (l'Eglise Orthodox Française).

So far I have been able to ascertain that it was founded in 1975 by Bishop Vigile, who had previously been part of a Greek Old Calendar Synod, and who reposed recently. However, English-language information about him is sparse. Does anybody know what his surname in the world was, or which Old Calendar synod he had belonged to, as well as the circumstances of his departure from them?

Also, any information about the history of the French Orthodox Church would be welcomed. I know that they are a predominantly Western Rite church and have in the past been in communion with the Kyiv Patriarchate and the Milan Synod. Their website gives current details and links can be found to many photographs but there is very little history that I can find.

Perhaps somebody here knows something more of Bishop Vigile and the church that he founded, or maybe someone conversant in French and/or Greek may be able to find more information that is readily available through Googling in English.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Cyprian
'If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved.' - St John of Saint-Denis

Offline Gentleman

• Manners maketh man
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Brussels
Re: Bishop Vigil of Paris
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 07:46:53 AM »
French Orthodox Church (l'Eglise Orthodox Française).

Is this a schismatical church?
I pray Thee, O Merciful Lord, for all the peoples of the earth, that they may come to know Thee by Thy Holy Spirit.

www.journeytoorthodoxy.com/

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 03:24:00 PM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Subdeacon Michael

• Subdeacon Cyprian
  • Elder
    • The Orthodox Church of the Gauls on Facebook
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: The Orthodox Church of the Gauls
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 06:02:22 PM »
Bishop Vigile was originally part of an Old Calendarist synod, and it was he who consecrated Archbishop Lazar of Ottawa.

Quite how he and his French communities came to be distinct from the Old Calendarists I do not know.  I suppose that's part of my query.

Many thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give.

C
'If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved.' - St John of Saint-Denis