Author Topic: Church Fathers on Usury  (Read 3086 times)

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
Re: Church Fathers on Usury
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2017, 11:02:38 PM »
People become millionaires, even billionaires over interest, while their debitors lose everything. I'm not an expert in economics, but I imagine the market could allow the lending machine turn over more reasonable rates.

those are great questions, and a good line of thought...unfortunatley its a noble prize worthy question.  It's very difficult to answer, and the best thing we got is kind of refuting extremes right now and interesting speculative theories.

Best way to refute extremes:

BTW I've use a guillotine analogy as a negative analogy for an outlook that can't stand outliers.  So that's a good picture.  To be clear when I said "Extreme" it is probably closer to something as "ideal type" or "consequence of a limit case" it's an analytic method when looking at a particular feature in particular conditions of particular ideas and methods when applied in the real world, that's it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 11:03:40 PM by William T »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2017, 01:40:33 PM »
Even if someone assuredly calculated the most proper interest rates, they wouldn't be lowered, because supercapitalism.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 01:40:50 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2017, 02:22:15 PM »
Saw this and thought of this thread...

Question: For what kind of person should we not pray after he dies? Answer: For anyone who has a mistress and won’t break it off with her, and for anyone who collects interest on a loan (Ioasaph of Ephesos, Questions and Answers 44).

-- Anthony Kaldellis, A Cabinet of Byzantine Curiosities: Strange Tales and Surprising Facts from History's Most Orthodox Empire

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2018, 02:51:37 PM »
This article by DBH is worth a look, discussing the problem of usury and its prevalence in the New Testament, and how opposition to usury is embedded in the Lord's prayer. (Of course, as he sometimes does when making an important but neglected point, he takes it too far, as this article discusses)
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2018, 04:26:05 PM »
This article by DBH is worth a look, discussing the problem of usury and its prevalence in the New Testament, and how opposition to usury is embedded in the Lord's prayer. (Of course, as he sometimes does when making an important but neglected point, he takes it too far, as this article discusses)
Debt and sin really aren't the same thing. If someone is in need of funds. Do we call that person a sinner?

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2018, 04:37:55 PM »
Debt and sin really aren't the same thing. If someone is in need of funds. Do we call that person a sinner?

I have a hard time believing you read that and came away thinking that debtors were being blamed.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2018, 05:04:35 PM »

I have a hard time believing you read that and came away thinking that debtors were being blamed.
I find a flawed argument is all. If we say that the lords prayer is about debt. Than we are essentially saying that the debtor is a sinner. "As we forgive others debts "
So who ever owes money is a sinner as well. I hope you see as much.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2018, 05:08:57 PM »
So you haven’t read or understood the article.
- Berdyaev

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2018, 05:35:28 PM »
I skimmed through it. The problem with the article is making the lords prayer into a bartering prayer. I wpuld think that a prayer that the lord himself gave us would have more substance.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2018, 05:39:33 PM »
I skimmed through it. The problem with the article is making the lords prayer into a bartering prayer. I wpuld think that a prayer that the lord himself gave us would have more substance.

It's pretty obvious that the skim didn't go very deep.

And the rejoinder linked at the bottom addresses how all sorts of Biblical passages can have two readings.

But two readings doesn't mean we can just ignore the first.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2018, 08:25:10 PM »

I dont know if I would trust everything DBH has to say. He is after all a universalist.

And the rejoinder linked at the bottom addresses how all sorts of Biblical passages can have two readings.

Isn't that the argument protestants use?
I don't trust DBH that much. He is a known universalist.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:28:24 PM by Tzimis »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2018, 08:26:27 PM »
Reading the Bible is the most Protestant thing you could possibly do!
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2018, 09:05:21 PM »

I dont know if I would trust everything DBH has to say. He is after all a universalist.

Why is it that the Orthodox who think 'protestant' is the secret word to end a discussion are the ones who most resemble the fundamentalists of yore?
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2018, 09:36:59 PM »

Why is it that the Orthodox who think 'protestant' is the secret word to end a discussion are the ones who most resemble the fundamentalists of yore?
Im not a fundamentalist.  I just know how to read greek.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2018, 09:39:49 PM »

So do I.  Your theological ideas are largely wacky.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2018, 09:56:13 PM »

So does the word mean offences or debts?

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2018, 10:07:02 PM »

Yes.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2018, 10:11:27 PM »

Yes.
Reducing the lords prayer into a monetary transaction.  Priceless.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2018, 12:10:50 AM »

Yes.

More like you don’t understand the Lord’s Prayer.  That’s OK, as long as you are willing to learn and get yourself out of your way.

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2018, 12:23:24 AM »
I rather liked DBH's article, but as I wrote on my blog, I think that 1.) he doesn't appreciate the richness of the various spiritual exegeses on the prayer and 2.) as far as I can tell, these spiritual interpretations were not made out of some sort of conscious efforts to make the rich feel better about themselves throughout the centuries.
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2018, 01:38:34 AM »
Does it matter if the soft pedaling was not done consciously?
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Rubricnigel

• Elder
  • Vini vidi vici
  • Jurisdiction: Midwest
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2018, 12:49:37 PM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilee_(biblical)

Considering alot of bankers/wall street financiers are jewish maybe they should restart the jubilee.
It's only fair, since its their religious traditions, who are we to stand in the way of it....

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2018, 12:53:55 PM »

Considering alot of bankers/wall street financiers are jewish maybe they should restart the jubilee.
It's only fair, since its their religious traditions, who are we to stand in the way of it....

Sigh...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2018, 01:28:46 PM »

Considering this country claims to be Christian (when it's in the government's self-interest to do so), maybe we should restart it.

But yes, Agabus's sigh, seconded.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2018, 01:50:08 PM »

Be careful, or I may have to circumcise your posting rights.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2018, 02:45:37 PM »

Considering this country claims to be Christian (when it's in the government's self-interest to do so), maybe we should restart it.

But yes, Agabus's sigh, seconded.
The country is neck deep in usery.  In fact the whole world is. Its just a matter of time before the bubble bursts.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2018, 02:48:36 PM »

Yes.

More like you don’t understand the Lord’s Prayer.  That’s OK, as long as you are willing to learn and get yourself out of your way.
A situation of convenience manipulates words . I understand perfectly.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 02:49:54 PM by Tzimis »

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2018, 02:52:04 PM »

Yes.

It's not a situation of convenience to say there's more than one way to read a text and that both of them can be true.

Otherwise the Fathers wrote themselves into a lot of trouble.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2018, 03:05:26 PM »

Yes.

It's not a situation of convenience to say there's more than one way to read a text and that both of them can be true.

The fathers never wrote what your implying.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2018, 03:20:21 PM »

Yes.

We're talking past each other.

I'm saying it's a technique the Fathers used.

My point being: what's true is true. Reading A can be true. Reading B can be true. Reading C may be wrong, but it doesn't make Reading A and B wrong.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2018, 03:32:21 PM »

Yes.

My point being: what's true is true. Reading A can be true. Reading B can be true. Reading C may be wrong, but it doesn't make Reading A and B wrong.
I know the technique very well but, that doesn't mean that the fathers came up with the same proposition as you.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2018, 03:38:42 PM »

Yes.

I know the technique very well but, that doesn't mean that the fathers came up with the same proposition as you.

I'm betting if someone had whispered it in St. Chrysostom's ear, he would have run with it.

I don't know why it's so difficult for you to swallow the idea that:

a). "Debts" could be understood as spiritual debts

BUT

b). A first century CE audience that had been forced into penury (and who had been forcing people into penury) would have also understood that the metaphor has some literal implications as well in light of their own previously revealed law

AND

c). Jesus could have meant both

BUT

d). As time and history have distanced us from the first century CE, we have lost a lot of understanding of the literal implications because time lends itself to forgetfulness but also because forgiving spiritual debts is a lot easier than forgiving literal debts for our greedy souls.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2018, 03:46:21 PM »

Yes.

I'm betting if someone had whispered it in St. Chrysostom's ear, he would have run with it.

BUT

b). A first century CE audience that had been forced into penury (and who had been forcing people into penury) would have also understood that the metaphor has some literal implications as well in light of their own previously revealed law

AND

BUT

d). As time and history have distanced us from the first century CE, we have lost a lot of understanding of the literal implications because time lends itself to forgetfulness but also because forgiving spiritual debts is a lot easier than forgiving literal debts for our greedy souls.

I hate credit card companies more than you. Trust me. Today its easier to be entrapped. First thing one must know is to never finance a depreciating asset. 

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2018, 03:53:06 PM »
I hate credit card companies more than you. Trust me.

LOL. At last we find common ground. Although now we can argue about who has the most hate in their hearts for AmEx.

Only by the grace of God was I able to wriggle out from under that heel.

You know, relevant to this discussion, is that in the Sermon on the Mount — only a few verses after "Blessed are the poor" — Jesus says to lend without expecting repayment, which is a funny understanding of lending.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2018, 04:04:56 PM »
I hate credit card companies more than you. Trust me.

LOL. At last we find common ground. Although now we can argue about who has the most hate in their hearts for AmEx.

Only by the grace of God was I able to wriggle out from under that heel.

You know, relevant to this discussion, is that in the Sermon on the Mount — only a few verses after "Blessed are the poor" — Jesus says to lend without expecting repayment, which is a funny understanding of lending.
Being poor isn't fun but i have to say. Some of the best years of my life.
You know what us greeks say. We can live good with a little or a lot.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 04:06:03 PM by Tzimis »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2018, 04:40:44 PM »

Yes.

BUT

AND

BUT

Online Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • High Elder
  • Christ Enthroned
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2018, 10:07:53 AM »
remember when Jesus went to the temple with his disciples and he saw all the rich Pharisees showing off all their money by putting it in the money boxes but a poor woman only put two coins and everyone looked at her and Jesus said that she had put more money in the money box than any of the Pharisees because the Pharisees only used a portion of their wealth while the woman had put in all she had!
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."—Philotheus of Pskov

Offline Rubricnigel

• Elder
  • Vini vidi vici
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2018, 11:36:30 AM »

Be careful, or I may have to circumcise your posting rights.

I was just brining up jubilee, and how debt forgiveness was law yearssssssss ago.

Maybe we should, they've squashed the American dream and replaced it with endless debt courtesy of the bankers who push credit cards, high interest loans, student loans, etc. WE THE PEOPLE, are supposed to be in control right?
Wouldn't it benefit us to implement Jubilee again?

No reason to SIGH, we all know WE THE PEOPLE dont run anything abd are just the new plebiscites

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2018, 06:41:11 PM »
It would be a benefit, yes. Agabus and I sigh at the fact that for you evil bankers = (((TEH JOOOS!)))

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2018, 12:16:21 PM »
***subscribed***
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Brilko

• Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2018, 05:09:03 PM »
Debt forgiveness is law in the US. It’s not automatic like a jubilee. Bankruptcy. I did one. I only had unsecured debts. Everything I owned fell within the exemptions so the creditors got nothing. There was no possibility of my being sent to prison.

Most of my debt was due to my own foolishness, yet I skated out from under it. If I could trade my other problems for bringing the debt back, I’d have zero hesitation.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2018, 05:12:37 PM »
Debt forgiveness is law in the US. It’s not automatic like a jubilee. Bankruptcy. I did one. I only had unsecured debts. Everything I owned fell within the exemptions so the creditors got nothing. There was no possibility of my being sent to prison.

Most of my debt was due to my own foolishness, yet I skated out from under it. If I could trade my other problems for bringing the debt back, I’d have zero hesitation.

You shouldn't have to choose between debt and bankruptcy. It's not right.

Offline Rubricnigel

• Elder
  • Vini vidi vici
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2018, 10:26:06 AM »

You shouldn't have to choose between debt and bankruptcy. It's not right.

I'm sure high interest played a part in his bankruptcy. Thats the issue, his credit and buying power is hampered for 7-10 years, as with job prospects, or renting a home,  its all affected by it.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2018, 01:36:48 PM »
Thread locked pending review.