Poll

A Ministry section on OC.net

Yea
71 (83.5%)
Nay
14 (16.5%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: Ministry section on the forums  (Read 10745 times)

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
Ministry section on the forums
« on: August 07, 2015, 03:36:19 AM »
I propose we add a new section to the moderated forums for the discussion of Orthodox ministry/diaconia/service/outreach/charity. For ease, we can just call it the “Ministry” section.

This forum would cover discussion of parish, diocesan and lay ministries; advice for starting various ministries at one’s parish and in one’s community; and (within the rules for advertisement) the sharing of these ministries with one another.

The sorts of ministries in mind are: Homeless outreach, soup kitchens, food banks, shelters, education programs, catechetical programs, certain sorts of camps, training programs, shut-in ministries, certain forms of activism, assisted living home ministries, festivals, the activities of ladies’ societies, school visits, etc.

Why should we have such a subforum?

1.   A flourishing, realized Orthodox Christianity necessarily involves ministering to the world and one another. Since this is an Orthodox Christian discussion board that has room for a family forum and comparative religion discussion, we certainly have room for a Ministry section.
2.   We really don’t have a place for this sort of discussion on the board. It doesn’t’ fit into Liturgy (although perhaps if we took liturgy seriously it would) and Faith Issues casts too broad a net.
3.   Because such ministries are a partial realization of the Christian ethic (see the Sermon on the Mount), discussion of ministry as an essential part of the realized Christian life will lead to an increase in mercy on the board and make people a little less cruel to one another.

Why shouldn’t we have such a subforum?

You might think that we shouldn’t have such a subforum because the people don’t want it; after all, we have very few posts about Ministry/Diaconia here on OC.net. However, if we did have a section for it, it’s reasonable to think that the topics would follow. Furthermore, to say again, it is unacceptable for Orthodox Christians to ignore ministry. So even if we don’t want it here on the board, we should want to want it.

Please do not de-rail this thread.
Quote from: Pope Francis
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'Animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
Re: Ministry section on the forums
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 04:18:25 AM »
...it is unacceptable for Orthodox Christians to ignore ministry....

I voted yea...

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 08:59:40 AM »
It seems like a good idea to me.  :)
God bless!

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 09:56:29 AM »
But those enemies of this idea, which would not that we should discuss ministry, bring hither, and slay them before me.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 10:18:45 AM »
I voted yes.  I do not want to face Justin's sword :o -- not to mention it is  good idea.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 11:50:39 AM »
I voted Yes. :)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 12:45:10 PM »
It's a shame the Naysayers were silent! I wonder what they don't want.
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'Animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Offline Orest

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 12:45:53 PM »
A very good idea. I vote yes.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 12:50:12 PM »
I suppose it'll face the same fate as the Book Club. Never heard of it? Exactly.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 12:53:47 PM »
It's a shame the Naysayers were silent! I wonder what they don't want.

Where is the poll to vote our agreement?

Yes, Yes, Yes.

p.s. I just found the poll. It did not show up when I first visited this thread.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 12:54:33 PM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 01:19:57 PM »
I suppose it'll face the same fate as the Book Club. Never heard of it? Exactly.
But wouldn't that be a bit of a wake-up call, the sort we need?

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 07:00:03 PM »
But wouldn't that be a bit of a wake-up call, the sort we need?

Nah.  "Need" is a strong word when it comes to an internet forum.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 10:55:06 PM »
If so, all the more reason to take a risk on it.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 08:22:41 PM »
 8)

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 09:49:22 PM »
I think this is extremely important. I voted yes. As far as I know there is no think tank (an avenue that promotes ideas)  for Orthodoxy-compatible methods for bringing people to the Church.  This post also reminded me that I need to get a passport to go to Mexico in order to spend my vacation next year building homes with Project Mexico.

More to the point, is the need for a forum section that concerns itself with the missionary problem without the backlash of people who want to show how clever their rhetoric is.

My current interest stems from my vacation last week at a beach-front campsite a few miles north of Fort Ross (Russian California). From what I understand (which I believe based on observation), the majority of the campers are Russian or Ukrainian from Sacramento CA. Last September I met a Russian, and a Ukrainian and a Belarusian, they were all baptists.  One week ago I was in the midst of a whole colony. They were all baptists/pentecostals. All were from the Sacramental area (only a 3 hr drive compared to my 12 hr). Few spoke English, the services were in a Slavic language (the acapella singing was beautiful but the hymns were not Orthodox based on my listening to AFR.

There are minimally (based on the 2012 Census) 60,000 equally divided Ukranian/Russian-speaking immigrants in Sacramento. It appears most of them are protestants. If they are lost sheep, where do they go if no one speaks their language? The protestant-slavic churches in Sacramento (of which there are many and they also have their own TV station) fill this niche.

I will not discuss this here, but it is an example of one issue. I would also like to write about Gravenstein apples and Sebastapol based on my trip, but I have not found a way to tie it in.

Edit: I forgot the punch line. We need more ethnic churches, not less.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 09:58:55 PM by Opus118 »
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 01:57:54 PM »
I think this is extremely important. I voted yes. As far as I know there is no think tank (an avenue that promotes ideas)  for Orthodoxy-compatible methods for bringing people to the Church.  This post also reminded me that I need to get a passport to go to Mexico in order to spend my vacation next year building homes with Project Mexico.

More to the point, is the need for a forum section that concerns itself with the missionary problem without the backlash of people who want to show how clever their rhetoric is.

My current interest stems from my vacation last week at a beach-front campsite a few miles north of Fort Ross (Russian California). From what I understand (which I believe based on observation), the majority of the campers are Russian or Ukrainian from Sacramento CA. Last September I met a Russian, and a Ukrainian and a Belarusian, they were all baptists.  One week ago I was in the midst of a whole colony. They were all baptists/pentecostals. All were from the Sacramental area (only a 3 hr drive compared to my 12 hr). Few spoke English, the services were in a Slavic language (the acapella singing was beautiful but the hymns were not Orthodox based on my listening to AFR.

There are minimally (based on the 2012 Census) 60,000 equally divided Ukranian/Russian-speaking immigrants in Sacramento. It appears most of them are protestants. If they are lost sheep, where do they go if no one speaks their language? The protestant-slavic churches in Sacramento (of which there are many and they also have their own TV station) fill this niche.

I will not discuss this here, but it is an example of one issue. I would also like to write about Gravenstein apples and Sebastapol based on my trip, but I have not found a way to tie it in.

There is no Russian Church in the area?

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 05:22:10 PM »
NicholasMyra's idea has some similarities to a suggestion I came up with earlier for a business directory, although, his idea is broader in scope and, I think, better. So I'm definitely voting yes.

Certain categories of businesses (e. g., bookstores) could themselves be considered a type of ministry.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 05:24:58 PM »

That we all had your spirit!
January 23, 2016, 03:47:17 PM   Ad Hominem - "mere foil"   +45

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foil_(literature)

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 09:00:44 PM »
Child boards are notoriously unoccupied, unless discussions are moved into them as we do with Protestant/Catholic discussion.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 11:58:52 PM »

Yes there are. Clearly not enough for the Russian/Ukrainian/Belarusian population size There is more going on with this region that I do not know about.

Is retrieving your lost sheep that same as steeling sheep?

Two answer your question. Before I posted, I had done an assessment using Google maps for the Sacramento area.

This is what I found by that means:

Holy Ascension Church, ROCOR, website almost entirely Russian (Google translate required). Likely a large church.

Church of the Holy Myrrhbearing Women, OCA, website defaults to Russian, but an English translation available. Appears to be a small intimate church, which would be my choice if I were hunting.

Elevation of the Holy Cross Orthodox Church, OCA, majority converts, all english.

On the baptist side, I estimate about 12 Russian, Ukrainian and mixed Slav (including Belarusian, Moldavian) Baptists Churches. I have looked at some to make sure that these churches do not have two names. I haven't found any yet. Many websites are Russian first or only. Some of these churches appear to be large.

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Save Oh Lord your People! And Bless us all!
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 01:52:28 AM »
Having more sections requires more moderators. We already have a very short list of responsible people who have a history of following the rules. Being a moderator here means you have access to a LOT of information. Our vetting process is long, stringent and intense. We haven't always hit the nail on the head and have suffered the consequences for it.

Before we even THINK about another section we would need to keep aspects such as this in mind.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 10:54:09 AM »

Yes there are. Clearly not enough for the Russian/Ukrainian/Belarusian population size There is more going on with this region that I do not know about.

Is retrieving your lost sheep that same as steeling sheep?

Two answer your question. Before I posted, I had done an assessment using Google maps for the Sacramento area.

This is what I found by that means:

Holy Ascension Church, ROCOR, website almost entirely Russian (Google translate required). Likely a large church.

Church of the Holy Myrrhbearing Women, OCA, website defaults to Russian, but an English translation available. Appears to be a small intimate church, which would be my choice if I were hunting.

Elevation of the Holy Cross Orthodox Church, OCA, majority converts, all english.

On the baptist side, I estimate about 12 Russian, Ukrainian and mixed Slav (including Belarusian, Moldavian) Baptists Churches. I have looked at some to make sure that these churches do not have two names. I haven't found any yet. Many websites are Russian first or only. Some of these churches appear to be large.

Here's an article about the rise of Slavic/Russian evangelicalism and fundamentalism in the Sacramento area. It's from 2006 but I suspect the trend is still ongoing. A lot of these churches tend to be a lot "Phelpsier" (I. e., more vocally anti-gay) than either mainstream evangelical churches or Orthodox churches in the US, and this is what the article focuses on.

As the article points out, there are also a lot of Slavic Pentecostals (not just Baptists) in the region.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 10:55:48 AM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 11:00:56 AM »
Having more sections requires more moderators. We already have a very short list of responsible people who have a history of following the rules. Being a moderator here means you have access to a LOT of information. Our vetting process is long, stringent and intense. We haven't always hit the nail on the head and have suffered the consequences for it.

Before we even THINK about another section we would need to keep aspects such as this in mind.

Just my 2 cents.
OH SNAP!!!  There is a whole lotta smackdown in these few sentences!  :D
God bless!

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 11:04:08 AM »

Just my 2 cents.

Wouldn't NicholasMyra himself be the obvious first choice for moderator since it was his idea?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 11:08:51 AM »

Just my 2 cents.

Wouldn't NicholasMyra himself be the obvious first choice for moderator since it was his idea?
I do think NicholasMyra would be a good mod though, occasional snark not withstanding.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 11:10:18 AM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2015, 11:49:11 AM »
I can't be a moderator because I would be morally compelled to delete/ban a lot of content/users in a way that the rules probably wouldn't condone.

On a related note, I think that the child boards should all be deleted, as well as either other topics or free for all non-religious topics. The family forum is a toss-up.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 11:50:57 AM by NicholasMyra »

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2015, 11:52:56 AM »
I know that Russian baptists often advertise at Russian cathedrals and make a public show, and speak to people around there.

I wonder if the Russian Orthodox in the area would be interested in such a thing, themselves, within decency.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 11:53:31 AM by NicholasMyra »

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2015, 02:28:26 PM »

Just my 2 cents.

Remember what Henri told Fievel at the top of the Statue of Liberty. Attitudes like this are un-American.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 02:49:07 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2015, 02:44:59 PM »

Just my 2 cents.

Remember what Henri told Fievel at the top of the Statue of Liberty. Attitudes like this are un-American.
What a memory!

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2015, 12:26:01 PM »
I voted yes, who knows maybe OC.NET might come up with ideas we can bring to our churches  ;)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2015, 12:52:57 AM »
I voted yes, who knows maybe OC.NET might come up with ideas we can bring to our churches  ;)

It certainly has come up with plenty ideas to not bring to church.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2015, 10:29:02 AM »

This is a great idea. Thanks for contributing! I can envision multiple ways we can make use of this otherwise, unfortunate truth about OC.NET ... once we get the Ministry section rolling.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2015, 06:27:28 PM »

Like what?

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Save Oh Lord your People! And Bless us all!
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2015, 12:44:41 AM »
I can't be a moderator because I would be morally compelled to delete/ban a lot of content/users in a way that the rules probably wouldn't condone.

On a related note, I think that the child boards should all be deleted, as well as either other topics or free for all non-religious topics. The family forum is a toss-up.

Since you brought it up, I'm going to run with it. 

You are not alone in your thoughts.  there are a lot of naturally good leaders on the Forum, yourself included, who also know their limitations.  That is one of the factors that really limit our Mod pool. 

I'll make you a deal:  If you go through a process of finding someone who you think would fit the bill of being a moderator for this new section, I will seriously consider it and bring it up to the Mod team.  Worst case scenario: the whole forum gains a great new moderator.  Best case: we all win. 

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2015, 12:59:15 AM »

You are not alone in your thoughts.  there are a lot of naturally good leaders on the Forum, yourself included, who also know their limitations.  That is one of the factors that really limit our Mod pool. 

I'll make you a deal:  If you go through a process of finding someone who you think would fit the bill of being a moderator for this new section, I will seriously consider it and bring it up to the Mod team.  Worst case scenario: the whole forum gains a great new moderator.  Best case: we all win.

I already accept.

Thank you.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2015, 01:37:11 PM »
LOL!  :)
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2015, 11:02:02 AM »

I already accept.

Thank you.
Well serb1389, it looks like the process is complete.

God bless!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2015, 11:07:01 AM »
On a somewhat more serious note, why doesn't the mod team just approach people that they think would be good? Surely you know most of the regulars enough to figure out who would do a decent job and who wouldn't. The worst that would happen is that someone would say no. You could just put people on as probationary mods for a limited time see how it goes. You could limit their access to sensitive material so they couldn't cause damage if it doesn't work out. If they prove to be good, then gradually work them in to it. You don't need to give someone the keys to the kingdom on the first day.
God bless!

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2015, 01:34:24 PM »
On a somewhat more serious note, why doesn't the mod team just approach people that they think would be good? Surely you know most of the regulars enough to figure out who would do a decent job and who wouldn't. The worst that would happen is that someone would say no. You could just put people on as probationary mods for a limited time see how it goes. You could limit their access to sensitive material so they couldn't cause damage if it doesn't work out. If they prove to be good, then gradually work them in to it. You don't need to give someone the keys to the kingdom on the first day.

Giving someone access to the mod forums will probably turn some people away once they find what the other moderators have written about them. It takes humility to read through that and be able to work with the very people who made those comments.

Having someone come on as a specific forum moderator with no access to mod tools in other forums is one way to handle new "hires."
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2015, 01:56:32 PM »
Most well run forums do not have any terribly dirty laundry on the moderator forum in my experience.  I would be very surprised if this site had a moderator forum filled with Stasi like dossiers on each of us; at most, I suspect discussions might exist about how much slack to grant to some of the more shall we say controversial users might exist, that is to say, those who frequently get muted or put on post moderation.   Thus only pure morbid curiosity about the contents of that forum might exist and if so should be I think regarded as an unhealthy passion.  Morbid curiosity I have found to be greatly harmful.   So the ideal candidate for a mod, a semi-mythical creature perhaps, would not rush to look themself up in the moderator forum after being appointed anyway.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2015, 03:08:12 PM »

Is this satire? Seriously, I would be an excellent mod.

I've been moding worse places long before most people here knew what the internet was.

Everyone would be happier here me at the helm. And I would spend like 15 minutes a day at most to do it.

That people think it is difficult or time consuming says something about the approach but not the job.

The rules here are clear and relatively simple. I once even showed the mods how thoroughly and quickly I could grind through a thread here.

No nonsene about Rachel. Cross post bickering. Off topic one upping.

It would end within 30 seconds of me taking charge.

Say good bye to semantic free posts, such as checking off logical fallacies, non constructive rhetorical questions, mean spirited jibes / jives / gibes, etc.

I figure the post volume would be cut by over 90% for everything outside random or the ridiculous games threads.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2015, 03:15:13 PM »
Most well run forums do not have any terribly dirty laundry on the moderator forum in my experience.  I would be very surprised if this site had a moderator forum filled with Stasi like dossiers on each of us; at most, I suspect discussions might exist about how much slack to grant to some of the more shall we say controversial users might exist, that is to say, those who frequently get muted or put on post moderation.   Thus only pure morbid curiosity about the contents of that forum might exist and if so should be I think regarded as an unhealthy passion.  Morbid curiosity I have found to be greatly harmful.   So the ideal candidate for a mod, a semi-mythical creature perhaps, would not rush to look themself up in the moderator forum after being appointed anyway.

The mods can read your PMs, and I would and forward all posts which would allow political leverage in the future to myself. My inbox is stacked already, but you can never have enough damning material on your lessers.

Say good bye to the ridiculous cliques around here.

My primary method of determining the merit of a post would be:

Would the soul of poster had been better served by standing before God in prayer rather thhan writing the post in question?

If no, muted till God said otherwise.

Let's see how all the mystics around here enjoy a little mandatory silence.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2015, 03:23:44 PM »

The mods can read your PMs, and I would and forward all posts which would allow political leverage in the future to myself. My inbox is stacked already, but you can never have enough damning material on your lessers.

Would the soul of poster had been better served by standing before God in prayer rather thhan writing the post in question?

So does this mean the end of our intimate relationship that we have cultivated over these past few years? I don't think I could bear the breakup of the ortho-and-Trig-lovefest clique.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 03:24:06 PM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2015, 03:26:27 PM »

Is OC.net ready for Cromwell 2015?
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum