Author Topic: Midnight Divine Liturgies other than Pascha, does your parish do them?  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
Does your parish do midnight Divine Liturgies other than Pascha? If they did would you attend them?

We decided to add another cycle of Paschal services to our calendar with Paschal Vespers and Matins starting at 10:30 PM Thursday evening straight into Divine Liturgy for Bright Friday.  We also did Exaltation of the Cross a couple years ago with Vigil at 9PM straight into Divine Liturgy at 12AM, but at that time our rector had a full time lay job and had a meeting that morning that he couldn't miss. There is also a monastery about an hour from here that as rule does Saturday Divine Liturgies at midnight immediately preceded by Vespers and Matins, I've never been there though.

I haven't decided if I am going to the Bright Friday Services, I kind of want to... but I have to be at work at 8AM and I finally feel caught up from staying up until 7AM on Pascha.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 08:57:32 PM by Bob2 »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
Christmas Eve to Christmas.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Bob2

• High Elder

I've heard of that, that sounds nice, but logistically with small children I'm glad we celebrate Nativity in the morning. What services precede the Nativity Divine Liturgy in your parish?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
As for my parish, it's only Pascha, but as for other parishes in Warsaw and generally in Poland (and Serbia too) the Nativity Liturgy (precided by Great Compline and Matins) is done at night.
In very few places the same goes for Epiphany.
In some parishes (more than on Epiphany, less than on Nativity) the Liturgy of Great Saturday is done at 2,3 or something like that AM.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior

I've heard of that, that sounds nice, but logistically with small children I'm glad we celebrate Nativity in the morning. What services precede the Nativity Divine Liturgy in your parish?

We have Vespers some days before that. :)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
We used to do midnight on Christmas. This year was the first year we didnt. We had vigil at 8 on Christmas Eve, then Liturgy at 9 on Christmas day. My understanding is our new way is the "normal" way. We had a blessing from our Bishop to have it at midnight because we have a big Christmas feast for the homeless on Christmas day that takes all day to prepare for. My understanding is that midnight liturgies are reserved for Pascha so that the great Feast of Feasts is somewhat distinguished from other feasts.
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
In some parishes (more than on Epiphany, less than on Nativity) the Liturgy of Great Saturday is done at 2,3 or something like that AM.

2-3am early Saturday morning?
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Bob2

• High Elder

I wondered that when I read it too, because that is supposed to be the latest liturgy in the year, more like 3-4 PM.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
Yes.

I wondered that when I read it too, because that is supposed to be the latest liturgy in the year, more like 3-4 PM.
Yes, I agree. The same goes for Great Thursday: in Polish parishes it's done at about 9 AM, instead of the afternoon (that really bothers me, as it's vesperal Liturgy and we commemorate the Mystical Supper then). As for Saturday, it's preceded by Matins and hours, so actually the Liturgy starts at 5 AM more or less. It's because after it people are allowed to eat something, after the full abstinence of the Good Friday. Well, of course, there are some people, including me, that don't eat anything from Great Thursday's evening until the Paschal break fast.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
My parish doesn't do a midnight service for Pascha. Matins is the day before, and liturgy at the normal time (9)

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
Re: Midnight Divine Liturgies other than Pascha, does your parish do them?
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 10:07:05 PM »
Our parish added 4 midnight liturgies for the Nativity fast this year, and they all happen to midweek. Vespers and Matins starting around 9:30 PM and finishing Liturgy around 1:30AM. I like the idea, but I can do my work better when I get more than 4 hours of sleep.  Would any of you be interested if your parish did this?

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 01:09:59 AM »
If I still worked day hours, I'd be more than happy to attend.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 07:24:16 AM »
Our parish added 4 midnight liturgies for the Nativity fast this year, and they all happen to midweek. Vespers and Matins starting around 9:30 PM and finishing Liturgy around 1:30AM. I like the idea, but I can do my work better when I get more than 4 hours of sleep.  Would any of you be interested if your parish did this?
Like the idea, especially that's for Nativity fast!

This year my parish did 1 midnight Liturgy and it's during the Nativity Fast too ;) But there was a special occassion: brining the relics (hand) of st. Nektarios. So there was Akathist in Greek at 8 PM, then Akathist in Polish and Church slavonic plus sermon at 10 PM, then some chants done by choir, then horus and the Divine Liturgy started at midnight and lastes 1,5 hour. I was present in the temple from 10 PM until the end of Liturgy. I was lucky that the next day I had my first responsibilties to do at noon :P But anyway, the church was absolutely packed during the akathist and there were quite a lot of people during Liturgy.

As we have new rector, I can add to the post from 2015 that we now we have more midnight Liturgies; you can see it form she situatuion with st. Nekatrios, this year we had also midnight Liturgy from Saturday to Sunday of the all saints. There was also usual morning Liturgy (nad that was the one I attended). Since it was also SUnday fo saitns new martyrs of Chełm and Podlasie and we relics of st. Bazyli Martysz, that belongs to these martyrs, are placed at our church, the rector found this Sunday as additional parish feast.

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 11:13:54 AM »
My parish does midnight liturgies, called "all-night vigils" (ολονυκτία in Greek) starting with compline, then vespers, matins and we conclude with the divine liturgy.
We usually start at 9 PM and we're done by 1:30-2 AM. Afterwards instead of coffee, those of us who are night owls, we gather in the hall (basement of the church building) and eat fish soup, prepared by the ladies of the parish.
This week we'll have one on the evening of December 1-December 2 for st. Porphyrios.
We had one also on the evening of November 20-21 for the feast of the entrance of the Theotokos.
We don't do it during Great Lent, we do it during Advent.
Ἦχος Βαρύς

Ὁπλιτικῆς φάλαγγος οἰκεῖον μέλος
ὁ τοῦ βάρους σὺ κλῆσιν εἰληφῶς φέρεις.
Ἧχον τὸν ἁπλοῦν τὸν βάρους ἐπώνυμον
ὁ τοὺς λογισμοὺς ἐν βοαῖς μισῶν φιλεῖ.
Ἀνδρῶν δὲ ἄσμα δευτερότριτε βρέμεις.
Ὧν ποικίλος δὲ τοὺς ἁπλούς ἔχεις φίλους.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Our Holy Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Holy Phanar
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 11:22:55 AM »
My parish does midnight liturgies, called "all-night vigils" (ολονυκτία in Greek) starting with compline, then vespers, matins and we conclude with the divine liturgy.
We usually start at 9 PM and we're done by 1:30-2 AM. Afterwards instead of coffee, those of us who are night owls, we gather in the hall (basement of the church building) and eat fish soup, prepared by the ladies of the parish.
This week we'll have one on the evening of December 1-December 2 for st. Porphyrios.
We had one also on the evening of November 20-21 for the feast of the entrance of the Theotokos.
We don't do it during Great Lent, we do it during Advent.
I am very happy to say this practice is catching on among the Greek parishes in NYC! I enjoy them very much.
For our impious, godless, and faithless rulers, the persecutors of our holy Faith and Fatherland, the members of our parliament who hate and wrong us, and for their repentance, let us pray to the Lord.
--Petition, Kalavrytan Rite

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 11:45:39 AM »
I am very happy to say this practice is catching on among the Greek parishes in NYC! I enjoy them very much.
Nice to hear that. Yes they're amazing.
I thoroughly enjoy hierarchical ones, last year our metropolitan visited and it was magnificent (though longer). He even stayed for the meal afterwards and we had some laughs (he is an austere yet enjoyable man).
Ἦχος Βαρύς

Ὁπλιτικῆς φάλαγγος οἰκεῖον μέλος
ὁ τοῦ βάρους σὺ κλῆσιν εἰληφῶς φέρεις.
Ἧχον τὸν ἁπλοῦν τὸν βάρους ἐπώνυμον
ὁ τοὺς λογισμοὺς ἐν βοαῖς μισῶν φιλεῖ.
Ἀνδρῶν δὲ ἄσμα δευτερότριτε βρέμεις.
Ὧν ποικίλος δὲ τοὺς ἁπλούς ἔχεις φίλους.