Author Topic: I was wondering . . .  (Read 2855 times)

Offline chrisgeo

I was wondering . . .
« on: November 13, 2014, 11:44:30 PM »
 . . . just who is this Brother Nathanael? Is there any real proof that he is or isn't an Orthodox Monk? I've seen a quote from Archbishop Kyrill on a blog, but nothing on an official ROCOR website.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: I was wondering . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 11:48:27 PM »
He is not a monk, and what he says and does should be ignored. There are several threads here about him. He also joined this forum a few years ago, and was justifiably banned after just four posts.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 12:06:56 AM »
An anti-Semite and conspiracy theorist. Some people call me the same thing sometimes, if they heard Nathanael they'd have a change of heart.
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline chrisgeo

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 12:19:54 AM »
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 12:20:30 AM by chrisgeo »

Offline chrisgeo

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 12:21:29 AM »
He is not a monk, and what he says and does should be ignored. There are several threads here about him. He also joined this forum a few years ago, and was justifiably banned after just four posts.
If I remember correctly, my question was "Is there any real proof that he is or isn't an Orthodox Monk? I've seen a quote from Archbishop Kyrill on a blog, but nothing on an official ROCOR website."
But thanks for the stern warning anyway.

Offline chrisgeo

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 12:22:56 AM »
An anti-Semite and conspiracy theorist. Some people call me the same thing sometimes, if they heard Nathanael they'd have a change of heart.
Hmmm, name calling. If I remember correctly, my question was "Is there any real proof that he is or isn't an Orthodox Monk? I've seen a quote from Archbishop Kyrill on a blog, but nothing on an official ROCOR website."

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 12:27:54 AM »
He was a novice at Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Brookline, MA at one point.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 12:34:30 AM »
If I remember correctly, my question was "Is there any real proof that he is or isn't an Orthodox Monk? I've seen a quote from Archbishop Kyrill on a blog, but nothing on an official ROCOR website."
Well, your original question was:

just who is this Brother Nathanael?

So I think she was answering that.
God bless!

Offline chrisgeo

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 01:40:04 AM »

I didn't say anything about "original question". If you read the entire post you may have noticed that. But like my son always tells me, "Dad, your expectations are too high."

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 07:07:48 AM »

I didn't say anything about "original question". If you read the entire post you may have noticed that. But like my son always tells me, "Dad, your expectations are too high."

No need for the sharp retort, chrisgeo.  :P

I did say "Brother" Nathanael was not a monk. I also mentioned he is the subject of several copious threads here. Look them up, and you'll find what you're looking for.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 07:55:43 AM »
I guess that anyone who lives the monastic life is a monk, in some sense anyway. But from the videos I've seen, Brother Nathanael seems to be preaching racism and hate. It's one thing to criticize the political Zionist state, but it gives me the creeps whenever I hear people blaming "the Jews" for all the problems in the world. There's nothing Orthodox about that.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 08:01:18 AM »
Nathanael also wears the white klobuk of a metropolitan, and a large pectoral cross, when he is neither a priest nor a bishop. Impersonating clergy is insidious and disrespectful, to put it mildly.  :P >:(

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 08:20:43 AM »
He probably should have stuck to playing guitar for outta sight '60s music.  Seriously, that was him.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

• Merarches
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 08:47:18 AM »
He probably should have stuck to playing guitar for outta sight '60s music.  Seriously, that was him.

Wow! Can we verify this some way? Too funny!

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 08:59:05 AM »

Selam

Rebecca and the Sunnybrook Farmers were a psychedelic-influenced band from Pittsburgh, PN, whose music was an interesting blend of country rock, folk rock, and sunshine pop. Featuring Ilene Rappaport on vocals, guitar, harmonica, and recorder, Ilene Novog on vocals, viola, and harpsichord, Mickey Kapner on guitar, sitar, organ, and backing vocals, Ernie Eremita on bass guitar and backing vocals, and Clifford Mandell on percussion and backing vocals, the group was a popular live act in Pittsburgh and was signed to Musicor Records, an outfit that specialized in country artists but was dabbling in rock sounds in the late '60s.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/rebecca-sunny-brook-farmers/id430724425

From Fourth Rome of Pittsburgh, no less.

• Merarches
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 09:14:15 AM »

Selam

Rebecca and the Sunnybrook Farmers were a psychedelic-influenced band from Pittsburgh, PN, whose music was an interesting blend of country rock, folk rock, and sunshine pop. Featuring Ilene Rappaport on vocals, guitar, harmonica, and recorder, Ilene Novog on vocals, viola, and harpsichord, Mickey Kapner on guitar, sitar, organ, and backing vocals, Ernie Eremita on bass guitar and backing vocals, and Clifford Mandell on percussion and backing vocals, the group was a popular live act in Pittsburgh and was signed to Musicor Records, an outfit that specialized in country artists but was dabbling in rock sounds in the late '60s.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/rebecca-sunny-brook-farmers/id430724425

From Fourth Rome of Pittsburgh, no less.

Thanks!  :)

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 12:47:03 PM »

My recollection is that there is an official letter and the link to it is in one of later Brother Nathanael threads. I could be wrong, but I would give myself a >50% chance of being correct.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 12:51:05 PM »

Maybe your son should also tell you that being polite to others tends to attract more assistance from others than insults.  ;)
God bless!

Offline chrisgeo

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 12:58:03 AM »

I did say "Brother" Nathanael was not a monk. I also mentioned he is the subject of several copious threads here. Look them up, and you'll find what you're looking for.
You say he was not a monk, fine. I still haven't seen any authoritative source to support this.
Again, I was just looking for something authoritative that I could read and come to my own conclusions. If you don't have such a source, there really isn't any reason to respond. I sincerely hope my sharp retrort didn't cut you.

Offline chrisgeo

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 12:59:31 AM »

Maybe your son should also tell you that being polite to others tends to attract more assistance from others than insults.  ;)
Insults . . . hmmm . . . is that anything like name calling which goes on here all the time??

Offline chrisgeo

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 01:00:53 AM »

My recollection is that there is an official letter and the link to it is in one of later Brother Nathanael threads. I could be wrong, but I would give myself a >50% chance of being correct.
Thank you!  I'll have to look again to find it.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 01:10:25 AM »

I deserve an apology for your rudeness:

Offline chrisgeo

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 01:29:46 AM »

Apology????  Hahahahahahahahahah!!!

Offline chrisgeo

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2014, 01:37:11 AM »

Is that you Nate?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 01:37:36 AM by chrisgeo »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2014, 01:49:49 AM »

What's your problem, chrisgeo?

Offline chrisgeo

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2014, 02:20:23 AM »

No problem at all.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2014, 02:27:34 AM »

No problem at all.

I don't see an apology from you.

Offline chrisgeo

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2014, 04:38:13 AM »

No problem at all.

I don't see an apology from you.
Hahahahahahahahahaha

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2014, 10:37:14 AM »
. . . just who is this Brother Nathanael? Is there any real proof that he is or isn't an Orthodox Monk? I've seen a quote from Archbishop Kyrill on a blog, but nothing on an official ROCOR website.

What do you accept as "proof"?
Even demons know The Lord and just because they cry out His Name does not make them saved.
Me thinks your question belies some other motive.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2014, 04:04:46 PM »

Insults . . . hmmm . . . is that anything like name calling which goes on here all the time??
and do those people get help either?
God bless!

Offline charbelkaleab

• Most High Imperial Prince
  • Elder
  • St John of Shanghai and San Francisco pray for us!
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 06:13:09 PM »
Ignore him.

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
Re: I was wondering . . . (about Br Nathanael)
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2015, 08:14:42 PM »

Quote from rakovsky Re: Antisemitism In The Church
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2015, 04:29:25 PM »
A thread that is now locked
  "Brother" Nathanael Kapner was only a temporary novice monk in a tiny schismatic "Orthodox" church that our Orthodox church doesn't recognize. Since he was only temporarily a monk, he should not be called a monk or Brother. In fact, the way he dresses totally conflicts with a novice monk, and it's weird how he has black and white gloves on opposite hands, like the black and white colors corresponding to those of Baphomet. His effect is to make Orthodoxy look bad, and ROCOR rightly tells him to stop, because he has at times even openly supported white nationalism, which is not an Orthodox teaching.

It really pains me to resurrect this but I saw people posting his videos that should really know better. Remembering the statement by +Kirill in 2013 referenced here: http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2013/07/rocor-statement-on-brother-nathanael.html I was surprised to find this when looking at http://brothernathanaelfoundation.org/about his website:

This leaves me scratching my head trying to reconcile this and wondering if this is authentic.

Bear in mind that Bishop Jerome is the bishop that was responsible for administering ROCOR's Western Rite, who was censured and retired by the Synod in 2013 for ordaining questionable people, and doing so using questionable methods. As I recently said in another recent thread on the Western Rite, Bishop Jerome did those who would like to see the Western Rite succeed no favors by his actions.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 08:15:30 PM by Bob2 »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2015, 08:22:29 PM »
His website says he lives in Colorado, but the letter says he is a regular communicant in NYC. How does that work?
God bless!

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2015, 08:25:42 PM »
His website says he lives in Colorado, but the letter says he is a regular communicant in NYC. How does that work?

When you've reached that level of spiritual enlightenment anything is possible :P
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 08:26:15 PM by Bob2 »

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2015, 08:36:43 PM »
I was surprised to find this when looking at http://brothernathanaelfoundation.org/about his website:

This leaves me scratching my head trying to reconcile this and wondering if this is authentic.

Bear in mind that Bishop Jerome is the bishop that was responsible for administering ROCOR's Western Rite, who was censured and retired by the Synod in 2013 for ordaining questionable people, and doing so using questionable methods. As I recently said in another recent thread on the Western Rite, Bishop Jerome did those who would like to see the Western Rite succeed no favors by his actions.
Thanks for pointing this out. How can a novice monk be wearing an elite kobluk or skufia hat? And he is a 10 year novice? Novitiates are supposed to last for a sort period.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 08:39:44 PM »
He also joined this forum a few years ago, and was justifiably banned after just four posts.
What was his username?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 08:42:45 PM by rakovsky »
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2015, 08:44:59 PM »
Thanks for pointing this out. How can a novice monk be wearing an elite kobluk or skufia hat? And he is a 10 year novice? Novitiates are supposed to last for a sort period.

I don't think his prolonged novitiate, and questionable attire are our greatest concern, what about the call from +Kirill for him to refrain from posting on the internet, and lead a life of repentance?

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2015, 09:51:18 PM »

I don't think his prolonged novitiate, and questionable attire are our greatest concern, what about the call from +Kirill for him to refrain from posting on the internet, and lead a life of repentance?
I think it was a call from the chancellor of ROCOR (Is his name Kyrill?).

Sure, normally the prolonged novitiate would not be a main concern. But what I mean is that if Novitiates are only several months or so, and "Br. Nathanael" is a Novice already 5-10 years wearing a kobluk, then is he really a Novice monk at all under Bp. Jerome as the posted letter portrays it? How can he be regularly communing in NY like the letter says if he is in CO. The problem I am raising is not whether it's wrong to commune in NY, but casting doubt on the letter or any inferences that he is in a normal situation. How can he be in a real acceptable situation with these weird signs of problems?

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2015, 10:41:22 PM »

Sure, normally the prolonged novitiate would not be a main concern. But what I mean is that if Novitiates are only several months or so, and "Br. Nathanael" is a Novice already 5-10 years wearing a kobluk, then is he really a Novice monk at all under Bp. Jerome as the posted letter portrays it? How can he be regularly communing in NY like the letter says if he is in CO. The problem I am raising is not whether it's wrong to commune in NY, but casting doubt on the letter or any inferences that he is in a normal situation. How can he be in a real acceptable situation with these weird signs of problems?

Given why Bp Jerome was retired, I am less surprised of his involvement, if true, than I am of Metropolitan Hilarion's. This letter is not necessarily an endorsement of his activities, but he is attempting to use it as such. If he is a novice where is the humble obedience?

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2015, 01:23:10 AM »
I think someone here in ROCOR should inquire.

In that effort, the original statement by Archbishop Kyrill at the ROCOR site has disappeared recently.

However it was recorded at Archive.org:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150424130039/http://www.synod.com/synod/eng2013/20130719_enkapner.html

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2015, 04:00:14 AM »
I think someone here in ROCOR should inquire.

In that effort, the original statement by Archbishop Kyrill at the ROCOR site has disappeared recently.

However it was recorded at Archive.org:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150424130039/http://www.synod.com/synod/eng2013/20130719_enkapner.html

It's a very strange affair. On the surface it's just a neurotic ROCOR novice monk who finds conspiracy theories about another religious group to be very important. But there are very many other weird things, including this letter. The most blatant problem with it is that it says he regularly communes in NYC. Yet he is in Colorado. So how can this be legitimate?

Offline stella1990

• Faith: roman catholic
  • Jurisdiction: other
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2015, 05:48:59 PM »
I dont believe that all jews are bad people, I know some jews that are good people so I'm not antijuidaic in anyway.
But I believe I'm very critical of zionism ... and at this point I tend to find interesting things in Bro. Nath speeches...

Not all things are white or black. There are grays, also (areas, not aliens :) ). And this Bro. is very clever at some points. I also like when he speaks about Putin. I admire Putin very much... he's no perfect but I believe he 's superior -morally speaking- to Western leaders.

In any case, Bro Nath is very weird... I'm not surprised that he was kicked off the monatery...but I believe he is a good guy (very weird, btw)...

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2015, 06:50:13 PM »
I dont believe that all jews are bad people, I know some jews that are good people so I'm not antijuidaic in anyway.
But I believe I'm very critical of zionism ... and at this point I tend to find interesting things in Bro. Nath speeches...

Not all things are white or black. There are grays, also (areas, not aliens :) ). And this Bro. is very clever at some points. I also like when he speaks about Putin. I admire Putin very much... he's no perfect but I believe he 's superior -morally speaking- to Western leaders.

In any case, Bro Nath is very weird... I'm not surprised that he was kicked off the monatery...but I believe he is a good guy (very weird, btw)...

When you say things like Jews are responsible for 9/11, the Sandy Hook school shooting, the SCOTUS decision on gay marriage... it doesn't really matter what else you say. It is kinda like finding the acceptable compromise between dog crap and ice cream, if I was to make you a milkshake and tell you it was 96% ice cream and 4% dog @#$%, would that be acceptable?

Considering that Orthodox Christians make up about 1% of the US population it scares the hell out of me that he might be some people's only exposure to Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 06:50:54 PM by Bob2 »

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2015, 01:55:46 AM »

An extremely small percentage of Jews are bad, just like any ethnic group. When we are talking about millions of people, it is easy to spot them if you are looking.

You are right to be critical of Zionism (Politics),  Nathanael is worse. Ten years ago I used to think that he was a lovable "Fool for Christ" carrying a placard on the median of Colorado highways.   The internet shows that he is an egotistical person who distorts Christ's teaching and what it means to be an Orthodox Christian.

Not all things are white or black. There are grays, also (areas, not aliens :) ). And this Bro. is very clever at some points. I also like when he speaks about Putin. I admire Putin very much... he's no perfect but I believe he 's superior -morally speaking- to Western leaders.f the monatery...but I believe he is a good guy (very weird, btw)...

I believe there are many shades of grays but I find Putin within the darker shades. Personally I am much more impressed by former President Jimmy Carter. I admire his humility, his caring for humanity, and he is still an active  Sunday School teacher.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2015, 02:22:08 AM »

When you say things like Jews are responsible for 9/11, the Sandy Hook school shooting, the SCOTUS decision on gay marriage... it doesn't really matter what else you say. It is kinda like finding the acceptable compromise between dog crap and ice cream, if I was to make you a milkshake and tell you it was 96% ice cream and 4% dog @#$%, would that be acceptable?

Considering that Orthodox Christians make up about 1% of the US population it scares the hell out of me that he might be some people's only exposure to Orthodoxy.

Thank you.

I would say more, but I've had my access to the Politics board taken away.
My only weakness is, well, never mind