OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 03:28:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pomp?  (Read 111 times) Average Rating: 0
Chrismated

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox

« on: August 17, 2014, 03:17:51 PM »

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this, so please (moderator), if it is not, send it to the appropriate forum. Thank you.
I have a few Anglican Priest friends, who, when they tell me about their Anglican get-togethers at conferences and other ceremonies, etc., they have these pompous ceremonies, and dress up in their fancy duds, with their head dresses, and such, and very proudly and openly and vividly display evidences of their college and seminary degrees, and priestly ranking. I asked why all the fuss and pompous ceremony, and was told that it was in order to show their "rank", and "status", and require respect, derived from their various and prestigious degrees and the seminary that they attended. Basically, a big pompous show, where they hope to outdo someone else, (that's what it seems to me anyway).
When I see EO (pictures and videos of) gatherings of this sort, there is a lot of "fancy duds" and vestments, but I don't see the pompous attitude expressed, as it seems to be by the "English" persuasion. The air of humility seems to be much greater and evident at EO functions, than at Anglican Functions.
Also, it seems that EO (and I am sure OO, though I haven't had much contact with them) don't focus on or discuss their "credentials" nearly as much, or make such a fuss about them. Am I the only one who has noticed this, or have others noticed this also? If so, what is your take on it? Thank you.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 03:27:07 PM »

Yes, I agree that we are way better at being humble than those proud Anglicans.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 03:28:30 PM »

Well, naturally, vestments and clerical titles shouldn't be a source of pride, but rather of humility, but I think this is very much a matter of individuals. You will surely be able to find anglicans who are very humble and don't boast about their ranks..

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 03:38:01 PM »

One thing I like about Orthodoxy is the solemn, respectful, pensive tone to it all, and I think the ornate stuff usually works as a great counterbalance to it, helping to promote the awed, joyful, uplifting response we should have (or so I think). Maybe not awed... most of the time. But something like that. The key though is simply sincerity. No amount of outward richness or depth of liturgy, items, clothing, art, words or actions can make up for inner deadness, nor can you feel awe or joy IMO without a certain minimum amount of... well whatever label we would put on having a proper heartfelt response to God. I've not been in many Anglican churches, so I really don't know about them. I've been in both Catholic and Orthodox Churches that had such a great and deep balance. Regarding the people as it relates to credentials, again I don't know much about the Anglicans, but I don't think any issues I've had with clergy in any church has had to do with a certain pride in their degrees. (Though I could be wrong)

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: