OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 03:54:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Divine Liturgy at Sümela Monastery, Turkey  (Read 537 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: August 16, 2014, 11:05:25 AM »

http://www.dailysabah.com/nation/2014/08/15/historic-monastery-hosts-annual-orthodox-mass

From the article:

The Orthodox faithful attended the Divine Liturgy at Sümela, a historic monastery in Turkey's Black Sea province of Trabzon, yesterday. The mass was the fifth religious service held since the restoration of the monastery.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 01:48:07 PM »

http://www.dailysabah.com/nation/2014/08/15/historic-monastery-hosts-annual-orthodox-mass

From the article:

The Orthodox faithful attended the Divine Liturgy at Sümela, a historic monastery in Turkey's Black Sea province of Trabzon, yesterday. The mass was the fifth religious service held since the restoration of the monastery.

Seriously, what is it going to take to get these idiot media types to realize that the Divine Liturgy IS NOT THE SAME THING as a Mass?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 04:46:15 PM »

From the article:

Seriously, what is it going to take to get these idiot media types to realize that the Divine Liturgy IS NOT THE SAME THING as a Mass?

I was thinking the same thing  laugh

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 05:38:19 PM »

From the article:

Whatever.  Getting agitated over this is silly. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 05:39:38 PM »

From the article:

I was thinking the same thing  laugh

Most unfortunately, I've found that Google Translator renders "Litourgia" to "Mass." Native Greeks have also told me, while they are fully aware that the Eucharistic Service of the Orthodox Church in the Greek language  is the "Thea Litourgia," their common practice is to use "Mass" when communicating in English. A synodal body should advise Google of this error, and should likewise make the Church of Greece aware of this flaw in English language education in Greece. When I encounter this defect on Greek internet fora, where I can, I make note of this problem.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 05:41:21 PM »

LOL, so we're going to be silly. 

Why do people object to "Mass" being used to describe the Eucharistic Liturgy of the Orthodox Church? 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 05:48:06 PM »

Please see:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,56511.0.html

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,31277.0.html

for the last two times ( i know there are more just can't find them)  that 'we' have gone around and around on this...

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
WPM
Archon

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 05:58:49 PM »

Not realistic for me, I'm not in Turkey or Other Middle Eastern Country but am in the USA.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 09:43:53 PM »

Why do people object to "Mass" being used to describe the Eucharistic Liturgy of the Orthodox Church?  

Because the term "Mass" is not of Eastern Orthodox Church terminology, but is a term used by non-Orthodox, primarily the Church of Rome, and has a meaning unrelated to the meaning of the Orthodox Divine Liturgy, "the work of the people," while the Roman Church's term means something in Latin related to the conclusion of the service. "Ete massa est," "Go, it is dismissed," although there is some evolutionary meaning to the Church of Rome about going forth in missionary work.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 09:49:52 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 10:23:47 PM »

From the article:

Whatever.  Getting agitated over this is silly. 

Yep.
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 10:27:32 PM »

From the article:

Whatever.  Getting agitated over this is silly.  

It's one thing if people in an Orthodox setting interchange the terms, but it's really a distinction that passes over the heads of others and to make a fuss trying to explain it to non inquirers isn't worth the effort.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:37:47 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 10:40:43 PM »

Because the term "Mass" is not of Eastern Orthodox Church terminology, but is a term used by non-Orthodox, primarily the Church of Rome, and has a meaning unrelated to the meaning of the Orthodox Divine Liturgy, "the work of the people," while the Roman Church's term means something in Latin related to the conclusion of the service. "Ete massa est," "Go, it is dismissed," although there is some evolutionary meaning to the Church of Rome about going forth in missionary work.

I could argue, among other things, that the word "Liturgy" has undergone (d)evolution in Orthodox usage, and I wouldn't be too far off the mark, but why bother? 

Podkarpatska:

It's one thing if people in an Orthodox setting interchange the terms, but it's really a distinction that passes over the heads of others and to make a fuss trying to explain it to non inquirers isn't worth the effort.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Santagranddad
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 09:09:03 AM »

This is the silliest nitpicking quibble I have seen in a long time. And I have heard one hieromonk on more than one occasion say, "And now it is time to go and celebrate the Russian Mass". Huh
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 01:42:09 PM »

It's actually, "Ite, missa est."

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 04:00:19 PM »

This is the silliest nitpicking quibble I have seen in a long time. And I have heard one hieromonk on more than one occasion say, "And now it is time to go and celebrate the Russian Mass". Huh

I disagree.  It's important to make distinctions.  The mass is not the same thing as the Divine Liturgy.  They're two different rites and we should correct people when they use the incorrect term.

A question to Byzantine Rite Catholics:  Do you call it mass or Divine Liturgy?  Please elaborate.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 04:15:27 PM »

I disagree.  It's important to make distinctions.  The mass is not the same thing as the Divine Liturgy.  They're two different rites and we should correct people when they use the incorrect term.

A question to Byzantine Rite Catholics:  Do you call it mass or Divine Liturgy?  Please elaborate.

How are you using "rite" in the examples above?  Please elabourate.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 06:33:03 PM »

Yes, a Roman Catholic Mass and an Eastern Christian Byzantine rite Divine Liturgy are two different things. But in essence they can be viewed as different ritual expressions serving a similar purpose in both traditions, whether some Orthodox, so conditioned by anti-Papalism or some Roman Catholics, full of arguments about infallibility and the Pope, want to admit it or not.

While somewhat simplistic, this article outlines the differences and similarities between the Mass and the Divine Liturgy. "Comparison of the Roman Catholic Mass with the Eastern Orthodox Divine Liturgy"  http://interchristianos.blogspot.com/2010/07/comparison-of-roman-catholic-mass-with.html

The author makes this observation, and I would argue that he is close to the point here, "it seems to me that the differences between the Roman and Byzantine liturgies is not theological at the most basic level (they both see the liturgy as a proclamation of God’s Word and as a reception of Christ’s body and blood made present on the altar), but rather a divergence, to some extent, of the focal metaphors for the liturgy. To phrase it differently, the different theological emphases of these two traditions are centered more on the why and how of the liturgy (i.e., its particular form) than the what of the liturgy (i.e., its essence)."

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 06:37:58 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: