OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 02:01:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Hangover  (Read 2094 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2014, 08:01:13 PM »

The best post liturgy schedule: 12:30 go to the deli with just about everyone from highschool to college. Eat a king's breakfast - Chicken club or BEC and lemonade. Go back for Sunday school at 1. Maybe teach the middle or elementary school hymns class. Fly home about 10 over the speed limit. Get home at like 2 or more. Look over the days readings. Grab a pillow, blanket, and die on the couch. Wake up a few hours later and hope I can be productive. Oh man. That's the best...this gave me an idea for a new thread.

My usual Sunday post-liturgy sequence:

Lunch
Watch football
Nap
Watch football
Dinner
Read

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2014, 08:12:49 PM »

I'm no monk, but I'm giving you my blessing to chomp on that cigar while your processing with the censor.  Tongue

In my world, that is exactly how it would be done.  I have always thought that I would get along rather well with the real Jesus - far more so than the figment of the imagination that 2000 years of religion has created.

He might surprise you, and not be as laid back as you envision Him to be.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2014, 08:18:07 PM »

I'm no monk, but I'm giving you my blessing to chomp on that cigar while your processing with the censor.  Tongue

In my world, that is exactly how it would be done.  I have always thought that I would get along rather well with the real Jesus - far more so than the figment of the imagination that 2000 years of religion has created.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2014, 09:41:08 PM »

I don't really get the Holy Hangover until bedtime. My post-Liturgy Sunday sequence usually consists in participating at coffee hour, coming home and eating more food, doing something fun somewhere, then having a BBQ for dinner and sleeping afterward.

I would however say that I don't care much for services that take place in the morning--Liturgy included. I feel much more moved, ready to participate, and prepared for evening services than I do during Liturgy and services in the morning.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2014, 09:50:27 PM »

Yes.  Here is my reason:

M-S Arise at 5:00am, float in the bathtub.  Sunday = arise around 6:00am
M-Sunday cup of coffee at 6:00 am
M-F Leave for work at 6:45 am.  Sunday = float in bathtub at 7:00am
M-F 8:30 omlet and hashbrowns for breakfast. Sunday = leave for Church, no breakfast because Jesus would rather swim around in stomach acid than hash browns.
M-F 9:30 launch the HMS Turdatious.  Sunday = prepare candles and incense for liturgy.
M-F 10:30 type a bunch of stuff into my computer.  Sunday = hope that I don't crap my pants while reading the Epistle.  Hope the time between the Gospel and bringing the hot water is long enough to devest, launch a submarine if I have to, and re-vest.
M-F 11:00am go to cafeteria for lunch.  Sunday = have been standing for at least two hours.  I have not eaten anything since last night. Stomach hurts.
M-F 12:30 make another cup of coffee to settle me for the afternoon.  Sunday = Drive home quickly while I still have some blood sugar left.  Make a cup of coffee when I get home and find something to eat.  Crash in my chair for an hour.

Sunday is not my favorite day.

That sounds like a tough, busy week for an aging man with diabetes. How much longer until you retire? Does the sleep deprivation get to you? My old man likes to work as early as possible so he can get out earlier but my mother says the lack of sleep makes him grouchy so he now works from 9AM-5PM or 4PM-Midnight depending on the week.

That lack of an omelet and hash browns must be tough. There are few things in life a mammoth breakfast can't make better.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2014, 09:53:39 PM »

No doubt.  However, I always thought it interesting that He liked hanging around fishermen, tax collectors, zealots, whores, and the like, and never really got that well along with the "religious" people.  Heck, some of the words we say prior to communion come from a Roman Centurion.  No, I don't think that He was a "laid back" guy at all.  That is one of the reasons that I never liked the liberal Protestant Jesus all that much.  Yet, I also don't think that someone decked out in $1000 of vestments playing "the Ikon of Christ" fits my image of Jesus very much, either.  More like the Ikon of Caiaphas (yes, I am aware that a book cannot be judged by its cover).   I think that I could (and maybe have) run into Him in the street and not even notice.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2014, 09:56:17 PM »

Yes.  Here is my reason:

M-S Arise at 5:00am, float in the bathtub.  Sunday = arise around 6:00am
M-Sunday cup of coffee at 6:00 am
M-F Leave for work at 6:45 am.  Sunday = float in bathtub at 7:00am
M-F 8:30 omlet and hashbrowns for breakfast. Sunday = leave for Church, no breakfast because Jesus would rather swim around in stomach acid than hash browns.
M-F 9:30 launch the HMS Turdatious.  Sunday = prepare candles and incense for liturgy.
M-F 10:30 type a bunch of stuff into my computer.  Sunday = hope that I don't crap my pants while reading the Epistle.  Hope the time between the Gospel and bringing the hot water is long enough to devest, launch a submarine if I have to, and re-vest.
M-F 11:00am go to cafeteria for lunch.  Sunday = have been standing for at least two hours.  I have not eaten anything since last night. Stomach hurts.
M-F 12:30 make another cup of coffee to settle me for the afternoon.  Sunday = Drive home quickly while I still have some blood sugar left.  Make a cup of coffee when I get home and find something to eat.  Crash in my chair for an hour.

Sunday is not my favorite day.

That sounds like a tough, busy week for an aging man with diabetes. How much longer until you retire? Does the sleep deprivation get to you? My old man likes to work as early as possible so he can get out earlier but my mother says the lack of sleep makes him grouchy so he now works from 9AM-5PM or 4PM-Midnight depending on the week.

That lack of an omelet and hash browns must be tough. There are few things in life a mammoth breakfast can't make better.

The current shift is not as bad as the rotating shifts that I worked when I was younger.  A lot of my overtime was cut when I got out of the hospital earlier this year.  I still have around six years to go to retire without penalty.

Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2014, 01:04:20 AM »

punch, do you drink fresh orange juice or other juices during the week?

I am VERY diabetic and I avoid juices for the most part.  When I do drink them, it is in small quantities.  More than 90% of the coffee that I drink is decafinated.  I save the good stuff to drink with my cigars  Wink  I have had stomach and heart problems for nearly all of my life, and diabetes for the last five years (probably longer, but that is another story).  Routine is VERY important for someone like me.  I can usually function quite well (and feel reasonably good) when I stick with my routine.  Sunday is a break from that routine, and I pay for that.

I'm diabetic too.  Ask your doctor about Farxiga, my sugars have Ben great since I started and that is with less insulin.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2014, 02:56:50 AM »

I am VERY diabetic and I avoid juices for the most part.  When I do drink them, it is in small quantities.  More than 90% of the coffee that I drink is decafinated.  I save the good stuff to drink with my cigars  Wink  I have had stomach and heart problems for nearly all of my life, and diabetes for the last five years (probably longer, but that is another story).  Routine is VERY important for someone like me.  I can usually function quite well (and feel reasonably good) when I stick with my routine.  Sunday is a break from that routine, and I pay for that.

Won't your priest allow you to modify the pre-Communion fast if you are diabetic?  My understanding is that if you have a medical condition that requires you to eat something in the morning, your priest may allow you to eat a little something before coming to church.  It won't hurt to ask him.

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2014, 03:39:18 AM »

Sunday is my favorite day of the week!

Dread Liturgy?  Why?

I'm usually up and running...no time to even think of eating, not that I would on a Sunday, anyway.

By the time I've got my mom settled in the car, picked up the godchildren, I find myself driving just slightly over the speed limit in order to get to church on time.

It's a whirl after that.

I think being in God's House, and participating in the Liturgy drains us in a way.  While we get "re-energized" by God's Grace, we nonetheless, are in the presence of awesomeness that leaves us feeling drained.

If you aren't going to partake of coffee hour, than it is a good idea to pack a snack/drink in the car for when you exit the church.

...of course once home, there's nothing like PLN!  It's the one day a week you can "rest" and not feel guilty.  Wink

I love Sundays!!!!

It must be a 'cradle' thing - I agree 100% with Liza. Sundays are the best. Worshiping together with family and friends, memories of dinner at Baba's house, not being allowed to pick up a needle and sew or mow the lawn or do the laundry. I don't understand the griping from some quarters. Liturgy isn't a chore to dread...if it is for you, perhaps you need to rethink where you are and why you are there.

I agree with both of you, as this used to be my experience as well. After church, everyone, cousins, aunts, uncles, would go to Aunt Sophie's or Grandma's for something to eat.

God, family, and football were the priorities on Sunday in that order. Cheesy

Now, it's just me and Dad and a priest that has become unbearably political in his sermons. I sit there praying for him to shut up to get on with the liturgy.

I used to love Sundays. Now, not so much.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2014, 06:33:13 AM »

Politics from the pulpit?  That's a no-no.

Sorry it's become unpleasant. Just daydream during the sermon and start thinking about lunch and the PLN.  Smiley

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2014, 06:35:53 AM »

No doubt.  However, I always thought it interesting that He liked hanging around fishermen, tax collectors, zealots, whores, and the like, and never really got that well along with the "religious" people.  Heck, some of the words we say prior to communion come from a Roman Centurion.  No, I don't think that He was a "laid back" guy at all.  That is one of the reasons that I never liked the liberal Protestant Jesus all that much.  Yet, I also don't think that someone decked out in $1000 of vestments playing "the Ikon of Christ" fits my image of Jesus very much, either.  More like the Ikon of Caiaphas (yes, I am aware that a book cannot be judged by its cover).   I think that I could (and maybe have) run into Him in the street and not even notice.

I think we've all been guilty of that.

—St. Isaac of Syria
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2014, 08:31:53 AM »

Sunday is my favorite day of the week!

Dread Liturgy?  Why?

I'm usually up and running...no time to even think of eating, not that I would on a Sunday, anyway.

By the time I've got my mom settled in the car, picked up the godchildren, I find myself driving just slightly over the speed limit in order to get to church on time.

It's a whirl after that.

I think being in God's House, and participating in the Liturgy drains us in a way.  While we get "re-energized" by God's Grace, we nonetheless, are in the presence of awesomeness that leaves us feeling drained.

If you aren't going to partake of coffee hour, than it is a good idea to pack a snack/drink in the car for when you exit the church.

...of course once home, there's nothing like PLN!  It's the one day a week you can "rest" and not feel guilty.  Wink

I love Sundays!!!!

It must be a 'cradle' thing - I agree 100% with Liza. Sundays are the best. Worshiping together with family and friends, memories of dinner at Baba's house, not being allowed to pick up a needle and sew or mow the lawn or do the laundry. I don't understand the griping from some quarters. Liturgy isn't a chore to dread...if it is for you, perhaps you need to rethink where you are and why you are there.

I agree with both of you, as this used to be my experience as well. After church, everyone, cousins, aunts, uncles, would go to Aunt Sophie's or Grandma's for something to eat.

God, family, and football were the priorities on Sunday in that order. Cheesy

Now, it's just me and Dad and a priest that has become unbearably political in his sermons. I sit there praying for him to shut up to get on with the liturgy.

I used to love Sundays. Now, not so much.

I abhor political rants from a pulpit. Leave that to the heterodox. Write your bishop and let him know your feelings. I know a parish or two where such nonsense caused many to simply stop attending..even those who agreed politically with him.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 08:33:31 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2014, 09:58:05 AM »

I abhor political rants from a pulpit. Leave that to the heterodox. Write your bishop and let him know your feelings. I know a parish or two where such nonsense caused many to simply stop attending..even those who agreed politically with him.

Seconded. The bishop needs to know about this. The ambon is for the proclamation of the things of God, not for worldly political speeches.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2014, 10:18:59 AM »

Won't your priest allow you to modify the pre-Communion fast if you are diabetic?  My understanding is that if you have a medical condition that requires you to eat something in the morning, your priest may allow you to eat a little something before coming to church.  It won't hurt to ask him.
My priest IS diabetic and must eat something in the morning. He also has a 45 minute drive to get to the church. One Sunday several years ago he nearly collapsed from not having eaten. We had to pause the Liturgy. Some lady found candies in her purse and he was able to resume. He has said quite recently that his doctor has really gotten on his case about eating responsibly.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2014, 10:41:42 AM »

We have always been taught by our clergy that illnesses such as diabetes and other necessities are a basis to lessen or even avoid the fast. This is so obvious - Christ would not have us become physically ill as a consequence of participating in the Eucharist. I hate the term 'scrupulousity' as it doesn't really apply to Orthodox thought, perhaps excess legalism is the proper term, but I daresay that any priest within the churches I am familiar with (Greek, OCA and ACROD and UOC-USA) who would take a contrary pastoral position was improperly schooled or simply disobedient. There surely seems to be a lot of clerical disobedience out there if what posters relay is accurate. Perhaps much of what is posted anecdotally here is based upon folks being too literal with catechism lessons and simply 'assuming' that the legalistic point of view applies. Huh That's why I like to say talk to, or ask your pastor, about your problems or questions. There is no such thing as a 'stupid question' in my experience if it is asked in the spirit of wanting to learn and not 'correct' the behavior or perceived behavior of others.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:42:45 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
littlepilgrim64
Elder

Faith: Pre-catechumen

Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2014, 12:04:26 PM »

My priest IS diabetic and must eat something in the morning. He also has a 45 minute drive to get to the church. One Sunday several years ago he nearly collapsed from not having eaten. We had to pause the Liturgy. Some lady found candies in her purse and he was able to resume. He has said quite recently that his doctor has really gotten on his case about eating responsibly.

Another diabetic here - I'm a pre-catechumen, so I'm not fasting yet but it concerns me as to how I'm going to manage it when the time comes, 'cause I can't get by with just a little juice to tide me over in the mornings, I need something more substantial like a protein and carb.
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

What curls do on a bad hair day!

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2014, 12:09:09 PM »

Another diabetic here - I'm a pre-catechumen, so I'm not fasting yet but it concerns me as to how I'm going to manage it when the time comes, 'cause I can't get by with just a little juice to tide me over in the mornings, I need something more substantial like a protein and carb.

This should not be a concern, set your mind at ease.

Take what Pod says below as 100% accurate and on the money.  No -sane- priest would make someone who will get ill fast like that. As you continue your studies, talk to the priest. 

We have always been taught by our clergy that illnesses such as diabetes and other necessities are a basis to lessen or even avoid the fast. This is so obvious - Christ would not have us become physically ill as a consequence of participating in the Eucharist. I hate the term 'scrupulousity' as it doesn't really apply to Orthodox thought, perhaps excess legalism is the proper term, but I daresay that any priest within the churches I am familiar with (Greek, OCA and ACROD and UOC-USA) who would take a contrary pastoral position was improperly schooled or simply disobedient.

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
littlepilgrim64
Elder

Faith: Pre-catechumen

Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2014, 12:40:46 PM »

This should not be a concern, set your mind at ease.

Great  Smiley
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2014, 05:12:11 PM »

You know when you get back from the pub with your mates and you think, "I know, lets keep drinking!"

Well when you get back from Church, just keep praying!  angel

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2014, 09:34:48 AM »

This is an off the wall suggestion and for the men only - as men handle carbs differently than women - but you might try a BIG pasta dinner on Saturday nights.  Especially if you serve during liturgy.  Perhaps thinking of it as a race and preparing your body TO race will help. 

An after race message would be very good too.   Wink

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2014, 12:18:28 PM »

I went to matins and liturgy today. I am even still a little sick. I got up early too. I have no nap in my future. I went for the last 10 minutes of matins and of course the entire liturgy.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:19:55 PM by username! » Logged

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2014, 12:50:30 PM »

A lot depends on whether I'm with the family (Sundays) or by myself (weekdays). In the former case, I'm rather wired by having to keep half an eye on the young one at all times, and then getting everyone back home and starting on dinner, so I don't realise the drain until later, when I've racked up more reasons to be drained. In the latter case, I concentrate more and come out rather spacey, like after an intense study session, so I have to allow myself time to lie down when I get back home.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2014, 02:33:42 PM »

I fell asleep for 45 minutes maybe. Attribute that to be I got under the weather.

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2014, 02:36:31 PM »

i wonder if all those of you who are tired on sundays are not getting enough sleep during the week.
i am only tired on sunday if i have been too busy during the week, with working very late and getting up early, or with too much social life.

today i 'unwound' after church by making injera (east african bread). it tastes lovely (i added sesame seeds and cumin this time).
it is not yet good enough for me to take to friends or to church, but i am getting lots of practice (yum!)
also i am not tired (i didn't eat it all! i left some for lunch tomorrow at work).

maybe a bread making session (with the family, if you have one) is a useful and productive way to relax after church.

username, i hope you feel better after your nap.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2014, 02:38:14 PM »

I took a PLN for the first time in a while yesterday.  I always figure I'll get plenty of sleep in the grave so no need to rush it, so I usually don't nap.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2014, 04:26:21 PM »

Sometimes, the comments on oc.net tempt one to turn to the bottle.

Would the aftereffects, be a "holy" hangover? (sorry.... Wink )
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2014, 06:08:33 PM »

I took a PLN for the first time in a while yesterday.  I always figure I'll get plenty of sleep in the grave so no need to rush it, so I usually don't nap.

You sound like one of the holy fathers when you talk like that. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2014, 07:33:36 PM »

Don't let him fool you. The only thing that sleeps more than he does is pictured below:

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2014, 09:11:12 AM »

Don't let him fool you. The only thing that sleeps more than he does is pictured below:

That was high school.  Coffee has set me free.
elephant
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2014, 10:43:27 AM »

I can nap quite well in Church when there is a sermon in Greek.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2014, 12:07:05 PM »

We all used to do it back in the day when there was a 'ponashemu' sermon and an English one.... "ponashemu' is the 'slang' word for the spoken Rusyn dialect. Today, if you want to snooze, you have to do it in English only.
elephant
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2014, 01:24:35 PM »

We all used to do it back in the day when there was a 'ponashemu' sermon and an English one.... "ponashemu' is the 'slang' word for the spoken Rusyn dialect. Today, if you want to snooze, you have to do it in English only.

I thought about recording some, to listen to when I have insomnia. 
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2014, 01:27:45 PM »

I thought about recording some, to listen to when I have insomnia. 

As a kid I rarely got past 'Dear Brothers and sisters' if it wasn't in English!  Wink and back then, after the Sign of the Cross - and 'Slava Isusu Christu' every exhortation in  Rusyn or Ukrainian depending on where I was - began that way...Мої дорогі брати і сестри у Христі!
alexpetros

Jurisdiction: OCA

Go sábhála Dia Éire.

« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2014, 11:56:00 PM »

To be fair concerning my post: I live a block away from a public university that has quite the party atmosphere.

I opened this thread expecting to read about those who are hungover, but still get their dehydrated carcass out of bed Sunday morning to go to Liturgy.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2014, 12:13:15 AM »

Anybody have a "hangover" feeling after Divine Liturgy or many other services?
Going back to the mundane leaves a "down" feeling that I may best describe as a hangover; not sorrowful for the Liturgy but physically less than "clear" afterwards.
Sounds familiar?
=

This is the original  post. Based on the statement, is it fair to say everyone posting here does not have this sensation (that is without introducing additional issues such as fasting and drinking the night before)?
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2014, 01:07:50 AM »

Met. Kallistos Ware says that when people fall asleep during his talks he is reminded of the saints who prayed even as they were sleeping and concludes that they must be praying.  Wink

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: