OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 04:07:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Book: Metropolitan Petros of Astoria  (Read 376 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: August 01, 2014, 11:11:40 PM »

Please note: advertising one's own book requires prior approval from a Global Moderator or Administrator. In this case, I approve of myself posting a link to my book Wink  --Anastasios

Dear Friends,

It is with great pleasure that I announce the availability of my book, "Metropolitan Petros of Astoria: A Microcosm of the Old Calendar Movement in America." This work examines the ecclesiastical life of Metropolitan Petros (Astyfides), the founder of St. Markella's Cathedral in Astoria, New York.

Amazon Kindle

Lulu

CreateSpace (Printed Version)

Please consider purchasing a copy and supporting my nascent writing career.

In Christ,
Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 11:12:33 PM »

Nook, iBookstore, and Kobo coming soon (as soon as those companies approve the work).

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 02:29:19 PM »

A post with excerpts and direct links to where the book is currently available. The Nook store just approved it, and it will be up in the next 72 hours. iBookstore is still pending. Please buy my book--your support will help me and my family directly!

Metropolitan Petros of Astoria: A Microcosm of the Old Calendar Movement in America
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:30:32 PM by Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 06:32:47 PM »

we sometimes used to go to St. Markella’s when i was a kid and lived in Astoria, it was one of my favorite churches, beautiful. mostly we used to go to st. Demetrius, around the corner, i also went to Greek school there. how did this book come about, has Metropolitan Petros left us? someone told me that the church is now with the newcalender, is that true?
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 06:39:47 PM »

we sometimes used to go to St. Markella’s when i was a kid and lived in Astoria, it was one of my favorite churches, beautiful. mostly we used to go to st. Demetrius, around the corner, i also went to Greek school there. how did this book come about, has Metropolitan Petros left us? someone told me that the church is now with the newcalender, is that true?
St. Markella is still old calendar. The nearby St. Irene Chrysovalantou is now a canonical Orthodox Church directly under HH Bartholomew of Constantinople, but has special permission to retain its usage of the old calendar.  Perhaps you are confusing the two? If you are talking about an exceptionally beautiful church, it's probably St. Irene.  Wink
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:41:45 PM by Antonis » Logged

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 06:53:06 PM »

St. Markella is still old calendar. The nearby St. Irene Chrysovalantou is now a canonical Orthodox Church directly under HH Bartholomew of Constantinople, but has special permission to retain its usage of the old calendar.  Perhaps you are confusing the two? If you are talking about an exceptionally beautiful church, it's probably St. Irene.  Wink

hugh, i think you are right, it is st. Irine i was thinking abt! i gota look up st. Markella now. I wonder how long i have been interchangably mixing up the two?!Though i know abt Met. Petros, he had sufferd a stroke, and has a monastary in upstate NY? he was in the process of building a replica of agia, Sophia in NY. is he still with us? thx for the clarification.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 12:47:13 AM »

St. Markella is still old calendar. The nearby St. Irene Chrysovalantou is now a canonical Orthodox Church directly under HH Bartholomew of Constantinople, but has special permission to retain its usage of the old calendar.

Not anymore.  Not for several years. 

Perhaps you are confusing the two? If you are talking about an exceptionally beautiful church, it's probably St. Irene.  Wink

They are both beautiful.  I can't make up my mind which I think is more beautiful, as my standards are not typical.  But if I'm in the area and can only visit one, I usually go to St Markella's because the people are more welcoming.  I try and go to both, though, since they are not that far from each other at all.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 12:49:08 AM »

hugh, i think you are right, it is st. Irine i was thinking abt! i gota look up st. Markella now. I wonder how long i have been interchangably mixing up the two?!Though i know abt Met. Petros, he had sufferd a stroke, and has a monastary in upstate NY? he was in the process of building a replica of agia, Sophia in NY. is he still with us? thx for the clarification.

You're thinking of Metropolitan Pavlos, the nephew (?) of Metropolitan Petros.  I just saw Met Pavlos on Sunday, so yes, he is still very much alive, serving, preaching, etc. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Antonis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 12:52:43 AM »

St. Markella is still old calendar. The nearby St. Irene Chrysovalantou is now a canonical Orthodox Church directly under HH Bartholomew of Constantinople, but has special permission to retain its usage of the old calendar.

Not anymore.  Not for several years.  

Perhaps you are confusing the two? If you are talking about an exceptionally beautiful church, it's probably St. Irene.  Wink

They are both beautiful.  I can't make up my mind which I think is more beautiful, as my standards are not typical.  But if I'm in the area and can only visit one, I usually go to St Markella's because the people are more welcoming.  I try and go to both, though, since they are not that far from each other at all.
Really? I stood in the doorway of St Markella's and it gave me the heebie jeebies. Probably my ecumenical demons.  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 12:52:53 AM by Antonis » Logged

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 12:56:54 AM »

Really? I stood in the doorway of St Markella's and it gave me the heebie jeebies. Probably my ecumenical demons.  Smiley

From their ecclesiastical POV, I'm worse off than you, yet I've always felt welcome at St Markella's. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Antonis
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 12:58:42 AM »

From their ecclesiastical POV, I'm worse off than you, yet I've always felt welcome at St Markella's.  
Oh, it definitely wasn't the people. One of the first things I noticed was a nun smiling at me.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 12:58:51 AM by Antonis » Logged

Jonathan Gress
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 02:53:31 PM »

Oh, it definitely wasn't the people. One of the first things I noticed was a nun smiling at me.

Was she really tiny? That's probably Sister Irene Chrysovalantou (ironic name, I know). She is amazing; I have never known anyone as hard-working. The other nuns are awesome, too, though.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 03:07:06 PM »

Was she really tiny? That's probably Sister Irene Chrysovalantou (ironic name, I know). She is amazing; I have never known anyone as hard-working. The other nuns are awesome, too, though.

I like her.  Smiley

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: