Author Topic: On Alternative Medicines, Pan-Orthodox declaration  (Read 24437 times)

Offline jah777

• Archon
On Alternative Medicines, Pan-Orthodox declaration
« on: March 18, 2014, 12:57:53 PM »
CONCLUSIONS OF THE 25th PAN-ORTHODOX CONFERENCE OF THE DELEGATES OF ORTHODOX CHURCHES AND HOLY DIOCESES ON MATTERS PERTAINING TO HERESIES AND PARA-RELIGION

http://www.oodegr.com/english/anatolikes/Conclusions_25th_conference.htm

Addresses the subject of such alternative therapies as Angel Therapy, Ayurveda, Bach Flower Remedies, Aura Soma, Aromatherapy, Acupuncture, Bioenergy Therapies, Esoteric Healing, Craniosacral Therapy, Crystal Therapy, Homeopathy, Reiki, Reflexology, Shiatsu, pseudo-scientific psychotherapies, charismatic healing, etc.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
Re: On Alternative Medicines, Pan-Orthodox declaration
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 01:05:05 PM »
some of these things are not like the others.

I would suggest that perhaps things like aromatherapy....which is plant oils, work on a chemical basis, like all other plant based medicines.

If used in that context...(rather than a wiffle waffle one)  applying an oil that works on the central nervous system, will indeed relax you.  No mumbo jumbo involved.

They interact with both the nervous system and the olfactory system, just like smelling a rose would interact with those systems, smelling rose oil does.

Plants and their use in a medicinal sense, are God given...from His Creation.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 01:11:01 PM »
Addresses the subject of such alternative therapies as Angel Therapy, Ayurveda, Bach Flower Remedies, Aura Soma, Aromatherapy, Acupuncture, Bioenergy Therapies, Esoteric Healing, Craniosacral Therapy, Crystal Therapy, Homeopathy, Reiki, Reflexology, Shiatsu, pseudo-scientific psychotherapies, charismatic healing, etc.

Did a previous meeting of this body condemn Western medicine or will it be taken up by an upcoming meeting?  If not, why not?
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 01:16:23 PM »

Did a previous meeting of this body condemn Western medicine or will it be taken up by an upcoming meeting?  If not, why not?
Western medicine? You mean, like, Utah medicine?
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 01:17:23 PM »

Did a previous meeting of this body condemn Western medicine or will it be taken up by an upcoming meeting?  If not, why not?

Take another wife and call me in the morning?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 01:18:12 PM by DeniseDenise »
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 01:19:18 PM »

This statement addresses the subject of Western medicine and explains the differences.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 01:20:11 PM »
I notice that no "yoga" was condemned.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Hypatos
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 01:21:36 PM »

No, more like allopathic/osteopathic medicine...something which the Medical Association of Athens, cited in the above report, would likely endorse.  I wonder if it has been condemned yet, or will be condemned soon, for not accepting the Orthodox theological presuppositions in nos. 1-3 (especially the last two) as fundamental presuppositions of medical science.  
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Hypatos
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 01:22:10 PM »
This statement addresses the subject of Western medicine and explains the differences.

Could you point me to it?  I must have missed it.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 01:23:36 PM »
This is the only mention

9. The so-called “alternative therapies” or, according to the Medical Association of Athens “Unorthodox Treatment Methods”, in which a metaphysical energy is predominant, rely on obsolete and fictitious data. They lack rigorous scientific methodology. Furthermore, they are based on unverified principles, which normally belong to the realm of fantasy. Since they do not take advantage of modern scientific advancements and methods, they have been designated, by official Greek and international medical bodies and associations, as pseudo-sciences.
According to such medical bodies, any noticeable therapeutic effect –if and when it occurs– is usually observed in auto-immune, psychosomatic and neuro-vegetative disorders. It is caused by the simulated medicine (placebo) mechanism, which is activated through the power of suggestion. Classical Medicine, by contrast, is an applied science, which is constantly advancing research and making progress, thus offering substantial care to millions of ailing people.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 01:24:49 PM »
I wonder what this means for YiaYia's folk remedies....which are obsolete and lack rigorous methodology. Based on unverified principles, taking no advantage of modern scientific advancements or methods....

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Freemason Homo Church Infiltrator
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 01:27:33 PM »
Massage therapy works fine for my back.  I guess it's all the heresies the demons tell me that makes me feel better.

Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 01:29:39 PM »
Massage therapy works fine for my back.  I guess it's all the heresies the demons tell me that makes me feel better.

Regular massage is evidently ok....mostly being invented by Swedes rather than new agers....Sweden is close enough to Russia....to not be inherently demonic...

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Hypatos
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 01:31:27 PM »
Never mind, I found it (while Denise was posting, I guess).  

No. 9 is rather ironic in light of the whole.  

This statement, IMO, is not about "alternative medicine" as much as it is a polemic against "other religions", whatever is true within the statement notwithstanding.  I wish they would've made their point from within their field of expertise rather than lumping together a bunch of things that are not all the same and outside their expertise.  

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 01:32:05 PM »
I wonder what this means for YiaYia's folk remedies....which are obsolete and lack rigorous methodology. Based on unverified principles, taking no advantage of modern scientific advancements or methods....

That's because all decisions from the Medical Association of Athens must go to YiaYia first:
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 01:32:30 PM »
Nothing wrong with the placebo effect (except when it costs too much).

I wonder how much of Hippocrates would pass muster now as real medicine...
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 01:32:58 PM »
The so-called “alternative therapies” or, according to the Medical Association of Athens “Unorthodox Treatment Methods”, in which a metaphysical energy is predominant, rely on obsolete and fictitious data. They lack rigorous scientific methodology. Furthermore, they are based on unverified principles, which normally belong to the realm of fantasy. Since they do not take advantage of modern scientific advancements and methods, they have been designated, by official Greek and international medical bodies and associations, as pseudo-sciences.

According to such medical bodies, any noticeable therapeutic effect –if and when it occurs– is usually observed in auto-immune, psychosomatic and neuro-vegetative disorders. It is caused by the simulated medicine (placebo) mechanism, which is activated through the power of suggestion. Classical Medicine, by contrast, is an applied science, which is constantly advancing research and making progress, thus offering substantial care to millions of ailing people.

This is part of the Pan-Orthodox Great Council deliberations.

Sounds like the Medical Association of Athens has a "bee in its bonnet" and fears the loss of revenue if people start depending on prayer, good nutrition, and massage to heal their aches and pains.

Will they also start attacking pious people who visit a shrine of St. Nektarios of Aegina and seek his intervention? When will this hysteria stop?

Will this group also forbid the Little Canon to the Theotokos (Paracleisis) in which we ask for prayers of healing?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 01:34:11 PM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 01:34:04 PM »

Massage was not mentioned.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 01:34:20 PM »

Regular massage is evidently ok....mostly being invented by Swedes rather than new agers....Sweden is close enough to Russia....to not be inherently demonic...

Lutheran massage?  Oh, no!  My soul is in jeopardy.  My only other options are evil Hindu or Buddhist massage.  Or the big Russian guy waiting to whip me with branches.  I can't win!

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 01:34:53 PM »

Massage was not mentioned.

Shiatsu is a type of massage therapy.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 01:36:05 PM »

That's because all decisions from the Medical Association of Athens must go to YiaYia first:

Yia-Yia uses alternative therapies when she brews chamomile herbal tea for her grandchildren when they have the flu.

Yia-Yia also has a lot of superstitious practices which she teaches to the younger generation like the wearing of the evil eye charm.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 01:36:27 PM »
and please don't get me wrong... I am not saying 'angel therapy' (whatever the heck that is!) or crystal therapy etc....where it IS about the 'healing energies' of the person performing the treatement are right and good.....far from it.

Just saying they lumped in some things that are based on -chemical- reactions...or physical manipulation based on anatomy....which can have nothing to do with pseudo science or demons.

very different things have all been lumped together, perhaps due to a lack of research....

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 01:39:02 PM »
and please don't get me wrong... I am not saying 'angel therapy' (whatever the heck that is!) or crystal therapy etc....where it IS about the 'healing energies' of the person performing the treatement are right and good.....far from it.

Just saying they lumped in some things that are based on -chemical- reactions...or physical manipulation based on anatomy....which can have nothing to do with pseudo science or demons.

very different things have all been lumped together, perhaps due to a lack of research....

I agree with you Denise. They would forbid the use of chamomile tea, peppermint tea, and other herbal teas. Some of these herbals are mentioned in the Bible.

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 01:39:50 PM »

The main issue is not that these methods are unproven, but that they are also based on understandings of human anthropology and illness which contradict Orthodox anthropology and may open a person up to be influenced by unOrthodox beliefs and perhaps even demonic powers.  

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 01:40:14 PM »

I agree with you Denise. They would forbid the use of chamomile tea, peppermint tea, and other herbal teas. Some of these herbals are mentioned in the Bible.

Many times, a hot tea and soup has worked better than choking down pills.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 01:44:31 PM »

and many if not most of the 'herbal' things like chamomile HAVE been studied...in their component form.

This is wikipedia because i am at work and lazy, but this cites actual -science- by people at real institutions...about what the components contained in chamomile do.

Major chemical compounds present within chamomile include apigenin and alpha-bisabolol.[2][11] Other classes of chemical compounds found within the chamomile plant include: sesquiterpenes, terpenoids, flavonoids, coumarins such as herniarin and umbelliferone, phenylpropanoids such as chlorogenic acid and caffeic acid, flavones such as apigenin and luteolin, flavanols such as quercetin and rutin, and polyacetylenes.[2][12]

Apigenin has demonstrated strong chemopreventive effects,[13] while alpha-bisabolol has been shown to have antiseptic properties, anti-inflammatory properties, and has also been demonstrated to reduce pepsin secretion without altering secretion of stomach acid.[12] Chemical compounds present within chamomile have demonstrated the ability to bind GABA receptors, modulate monoamine neurotransmission, and have displayed neuroendocrine effects.[11] Umbelliferone has been shown to be fungistatic.[12] Coumarin compounds present in chamomile such as herniarin and umbelliferone may have blood-thinning properties, and there is some evidence that chamomile may interact with other medications causing drug-drug interactions.[6]

Chamomile has been used for inflammation associated with hemorrhoids when topically applied.[12] There is Level B evidence to support the claim that chamomile possesses anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) properties and may have clinical applications in the treatment of stress and insomnia.[11] Chemical components of chamomile extract have demonstrated anti-inflammatory,[2][4] antihyperglycemic,[2] antigenotoxic,[14] and anticancer properties[2] when examined in vitro and in animal studies.[15]

so they would rather have me take an manufactured pill of alpha bisabolol as an pepsin reducer...than just drink the whole tea...because that is -unproven-?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 01:45:12 PM »

The main issue is not that these methods are unproven, but that they are also based on understandings of human anthropology and illness which contradict Orthodox anthropology and may open a person up to be influenced by unOrthodox beliefs and perhaps even demonic powers.  

and modern medicine is based on Orthodoxy?

again...pardon me while i snicker

a quote from the 'conclusions'

Orthodox anthropology, which the Orthodox outlook on the issue of disease and its therapy is based on, accepts that man is God's creation, comprised of two harmoniously united, albeit different, elements, the body and the soul. Man is not soul alone or body alone; he is “both together”.

so modern medicine which merely treats and supresses symptoms, rather than in many cases treating the whole person.....fufills this?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 01:48:33 PM by DeniseDenise »

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 01:49:55 PM »

Is the Orthodox Church now endorsing adulterated pharmaceuticals with all their fluoride ions to make these drugs biologically active?

Again, I agree with Denise.

No where in the Holy Bible does Christ or the Apostles say that we should be guinea pigs and submit to drug use that can affect our ability to reason.

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 01:52:45 PM »

The statement is not so much an endorsement of modern medicine as a declaration concerning forms of therapy that draw from unOrthodox beliefs which may lead a person to be influenced by heretical beliefs and possibly demonic powers.  The bishops did not condemn the use of herbal teas or herbs in general.  I'm sure that most people are aware that various alternative therapies (not all) are often very much rooted in the occult and New Age worldview and are often promoted within the context of this spiritually dangerous worldview.  

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 01:53:08 PM »
This is wrong.

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 01:53:53 PM »

Is the Orthodox Church now endorsing adulterated pharmaceuticals with all their fluoride ions to make these drugs biologically active?

No where in the Holy Bible does Christ or the Apostles say that we should be guinea pigs and submit to drug use that can affect our ability to reason.

There is nothing in that statement which endorses pharmaceuticals.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 01:56:12 PM »
How is the idea of bodily "energies" (outside of a 'New Age' context) contra Orthodoxy?
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 01:56:41 PM »
Since relics from our Holy Saints have been known to heal people,  and we are temples of the Holy Spirit, would the use of relics be prohibited?

Would akathist hymns to various saints be outlawed?

Again, would the Paracleisis to the Most Holy Theotokos be forbidden?

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2014, 01:56:56 PM »

The statement is not so much an endorsement of modern medicine as a declaration concerning forms of therapy that draw from unOrthodox beliefs which may lead a person to be influenced by heretical beliefs and possibly demonic powers.  The bishops did not condemn the use of herbal teas or herbs in general.  I'm sure that most people are aware that various alternative therapies (not all) are often very much rooted in the occult and New Age worldview and are often promoted within the context of this spiritually dangerous worldview.  

Some of it yes...please see my comments further up.

They lumped things together which are not the same at all.  

Aromatherapy, has no spiritual component at all.  in fact...we use it in Chruch in the form of incense.  Frankencense is know to calm the mind, to allow concentration.  It does that through chemicals that God gave it, in creating it.

etc. etc.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 01:59:14 PM »

There is nothing in that statement that outlaws or prohibits pharmaceuticals. If all alternative methods are prohibited, then there is nothing left but pharmaceuticals. Strange that they are using the Medical Associations of Athens to promote their services, which includes dangerous drugs and surgeries.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 02:01:28 PM »
How is the idea of bodily "energies" (outside of a 'New Age' context) contra Orthodoxy?

Our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit.

Look at St. Seraphim. Did not his body radiate Divine Energies? And did not he say that we are all called to that state? Many are called, few are chosen.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 02:09:30 PM »
From the Declaration:

5. The so-called “alternative therapies” are an application, in the field of healthcare, of conceptions of God, man and the world, which are characteristic of Eastern religions and of the “New Age of Aquarius”; therefore they should more properly be designated as “New Age Medicine”.
According to these groups, everything is energy....

In the context of modern physics, everything is certainly convertible to energy (E=mc2). In the fractions of a second after the Big Bang, everything was still 'energy'.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Antivoluntarist evangelist
  • Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2014, 02:13:49 PM »
Seems like +they're hating on the idea of amoral divine spiritual powers.

Ayurveda and TCM don't necessarily rely on such concepts, but their western exponents have been known to spout that sort of crap.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 02:16:09 PM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2014, 02:20:21 PM »

There is nothing in that statement that outlaws or prohibits pharmaceuticals. If all alternative methods are prohibited, then there is nothing left but pharmaceuticals. Strange that they are using the Medical Associations of Athens to promote their services, which includes dangerous drugs and surgeries.

And Greece is tops in cosmetic surgery procedures.  I'm sure the Medical Association of Athens has nothing to say in that regard.  Hey, bigger boobs and lips or homeopathy?  Oh, wait, which one gets you more money?

Anyway,  NEW AGE HERESY.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2014, 02:21:26 PM »
Seems like +they're hating on the idea of amoral divine spiritual powers.
"Prana" (which can be translated as energy, life, breath, power, e.g.) is an amoral divine power? That's new to me. :o

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 02:21:51 PM by Jetavan »
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2014, 02:21:59 PM »

And Greece is tops in cosmetic surgery procedures.  I'm sure the Medical Association of Athens has nothing to say in that regard.  Hey, bigger boobs and lips or homeopathy?  Oh, wait, which one gets you more money?

Anyway,  NEW AGE HERESY.

homeopathy wont give you bigger boobs or lips.....they have much more realistic claims...;)

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2014, 02:23:51 PM »

Anyway,  NEW AGE HERESY.

homeopathy wont give you bigger boobs or lips.....they have much more realistic claims...;)
I don't think homeopathy has any 'occultic' or 'spiritual' theoretical foundation at all.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2014, 02:24:56 PM »

"Put on a jacket!"

"See, I told you that you would get sick.  Now eat all the chicken soup and go to bed!  No!  No TV for you!"

"Don't ask what's in it and just drink it!"

Next day...."See, I told you you would feel better."

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2014, 02:27:22 PM »
I don't think homeopathy has any 'occultic' or 'spiritual' theoretical foundation at all.

But the Synod of the Church of Greece seems to think so, lumping it together with crystal therapy and esoteric healing, along with reflexology.  Hmmm.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2014, 02:29:06 PM »
From the Declaration:

5. The so-called “alternative therapies” are an application, in the field of healthcare, of conceptions of God, man and the world, which are characteristic of Eastern religions and of the “New Age of Aquarius”; therefore they should more properly be designated as “New Age Medicine”.
According to these groups, everything is energy....

In the context of modern physics, everything is certainly convertible to energy (E=mc2). In the fractions of a second after the Big Bang, everything was still 'energy'.

Even Medical Associations use energy. What is radiation treatment but the use of nuclear energy.