OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 09:21:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Investigating Orthodox Christianity  (Read 1839 times) Average Rating: 0
Anna.T
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Lord have mercy! Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2014, 04:25:42 PM »

Experienced my first Divine Liturgy at St. Nicholas today! It was wonderful, reverent, lovely, bright, and full of love. I have never been so wrapped in the love and peace of God. The community was also very welcoming. Sarah and I greatly benefited from the experience.

Glad to hear it! I think I will always remember my first Divine Liturgy. Smiley  I'm glad to hear yours was just as wonderful.

Christ is in our midst!

My replies should not be taken as representing Orthodox teaching - I am only just learning myself.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2014, 07:00:38 PM »

Experienced my first Divine Liturgy at St. Nicholas today! It was wonderful, reverent, lovely, bright, and full of love. I have never been so wrapped in the love and peace of God. The community was also very welcoming. Sarah and I greatly benefited from the experience.

Good to hear of your positive experience.  May the Lord continue to guide you and your wife on your journey.   Smiley
marigold
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2014, 12:57:40 PM »

Glory to God! May the Lord guide you always.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2014, 07:42:47 AM »

Thanks be to God!  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2014, 09:16:47 AM »

I went to my second Divine Liturgy yesterday, unlike the first time I was able to follow the services more closely.

It wasn't a negative experience, I felt fine after going there.

Though I was really tired afterward, I had to clean the house and walk the dog afterward.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Anna.T
High Elder

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2014, 10:50:31 AM »

I went to my second Divine Liturgy yesterday, unlike the first time I was able to follow the services more closely.

Though I was really tired afterward, I had to clean the house and walk the dog afterward.

If you could follow well at your second visit, you are doing better than I was. Wink

I had a tendency to get lost a lot. But it still didn't take long at all for me to learn. And now I understand enough bits of the Greek even that I have some ideas what is going on even if I didn't have context or text. Having the same pattern every week makes it easy to learn. Smiley

Sorry you ended up tired. I guess I did at first too, but now I'm so endergized by it that I feel almost like I've missed something on a "short day". Smiley. I hope it will become like that for you too - if you are already following along that's probably a good sign. Smiley

Christ is in our midst!

My replies should not be taken as representing Orthodox teaching - I am only just learning myself.

xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2014, 11:03:53 AM »

If you could follow well at your second visit, you are doing better than I was. Wink

I had a tendency to get lost a lot. But it still didn't take long at all for me to learn. And now I understand enough bits of the Greek even that I have some ideas what is going on even if I didn't have context or text. Having the same pattern every week makes it easy to learn. Smiley

Sorry you ended up tired. I guess I did at first too, but now I'm so endergized by it that I feel almost like I've missed something on a "short day". Smiley. I hope it will become like that for you too - if you are already following along that's probably a good sign. Smiley

The services were in English, Arabic and Greek so I was fine.  Smiley

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Anna.T
High Elder

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2014, 11:07:38 AM »

The services were in English, Arabic and Greek so I was fine.  Smiley

Ah, ok. I'm glad to hear that. Wink

I know several languages (varying levels of fluency) and the Greek is still taking time. Arabic I would be totally lost in. But if it works for you, that's awesome! Smiley

Then again, I'd be ok with total Greek at this point (except the readings), though I'd still like a translation for Orthros. Smiley

Christ is in our midst!

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2014, 12:04:17 PM »

I'm really tired after every DL. I go home, eat a bit and take a nap.  It is a good tired though, like I've actually accomplished something beneficial.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
nicodemus144

Faith: Orthodox Christian (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Always happy to chat.

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2014, 06:27:41 PM »

Hello everyone. I want to thank you all again for your love, patience, care and prayer. You have helped me and my wife on our journey.

I'm happy to inform you all that today my wife and I declared to our priest our desire and intention to become catechumens and unite with the Orthodox Church. He has accepted us with joy. The official prayer before the congregation will be in three weeks when he returns from his vacation. I just couldn't wait to inform you all as this is all a miraculous answer to prayer.

The Lord moves, thanks be to God.  Cheesy

“Does our law judge a man before it hears him and knows what he is doing?” -John 7:51 (NKJV)

I am investigating Orthodox Christianity.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2014, 06:47:58 PM »

Hooray!   angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2014, 06:49:41 PM »

Great news!

Anna.T
High Elder

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2014, 07:05:14 PM »

Hello everyone. I want to thank you all again for your love, patience, care and prayer. You have helped me and my wife on our journey.

I'm happy to inform you all that today my wife and I declared to our priest our desire and intention to become catechumens and unite with the Orthodox Church. He has accepted us with joy. The official prayer before the congregation will be in three weeks when he returns from his vacation. I just couldn't wait to inform you all as this is all a miraculous answer to prayer.

Thanks be to God! It's wonderful that you have decided this as a family.

Many blessings on your journey. You have my prayers. Smiley

Christ is in our midst!

Maximum Bob
Archon

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2014, 08:20:43 PM »

Glory to God.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2014, 10:05:16 PM »

Congratulations!!   Grin
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2014, 04:37:56 PM »

Praise the Lord. This is wonderful news indeed.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
nicodemus144

Faith: Orthodox Christian (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Always happy to chat.

« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2014, 02:39:21 PM »

a little thing i was able to share with OCN recently.   Cheesy

https://www.facebook.com/MyOCN/posts/10152632357020330

“Does our law judge a man before it hears him and knows what he is doing?” -John 7:51 (NKJV)

I am investigating Orthodox Christianity.
marigold
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2014, 09:25:16 PM »

Lord, have mercy on nicodemus144 and his family.
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2014, 10:21:57 PM »

Congratulations, best wishes, and prayers.

Silly Stars
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2014, 10:24:34 PM »

Lord have mercy.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2014, 10:26:09 PM »

a little thing i was able to share with OCN recently.   Cheesy

https://www.facebook.com/MyOCN/posts/10152632357020330

Glory  to God!
Welcome Home!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Maximum Bob
Archon

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2014, 11:59:17 PM »

Congratulations. Glory to God.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: