OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 06:06:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking advice  (Read 8325 times) Average Rating: 0
Hurdle

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: N/A

« on: February 23, 2014, 06:05:29 PM »

Currently I am a senior in my last semester in college. I have met a girl in Orthodox Christian Fellowship (OCF) at campus since April last year. She is an Orthodox Christian and has Greek heritage.  I really like her personality and want to know more about her. We have talked to each other multiple times, and I asked her interests, faith and culture. She is a very family oriented girl.

While interesting in getting to know more about her, I asked her if I can see her in lunch. She said sure and gave me her number without me asking. I don’t know her feeling toward me, but I feel I am attracted to her and want to see if there is something that can develop between me and her.

Here is something I feel concerned about:

Am I too young to date? I am now 22 years old. I am still growing toward spiritual and emotional maturity and definitely not financially ready yet.

Although she is active in Church and OCF, she seems interested in Buddhist mindfulness meditation practice, Zen and energy therapy. I am not saying that she believes in Buddhism, but she is probably into meditation in medical and psychological context to cope with emotional and medical issues. Will this be a big stumbling block for something serious between me and she develops, like emotional attachment? If later she has the same feeling toward me, should I ask her more about that just to be clarified?   

Right now I am only at the initial stage of knowing her. I am young and have never being in a relationship, but I realized it is not always something that seems as not difficult in literature and movies. I think getting to know and be attached to someone really requires time, emotional, spiritual and self discernment.
Branthony

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian church abroad

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:19:04 PM »

I think you are old enough to date, you're 22. These things with meditation and stuff can certainly be a stumbling block if you see them as irreconcilable with the true faith. However I would also take your time with her. Your feelings about meditation can change and you said you aren't ready for marrage financially so just be friends first

Forgive me if I misspell something, I am dyslexic and it greatly effects my spelling.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 02:49:31 PM »

You're an adult, that's fine. Nothing wrong with taking things slowly.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 03:58:38 PM »

maybe meet her with some other friends.
that way you can become good friends before you feel like you have to be romantic about it.
(i don't get why you have to 'date' someone before you know their family well. some cultures have it all mixed up)
then once you are good friends, meet up with each others' families (i mean if you get on ok with the families, i know some peoples' parents are in prison or should be, so don't feel like i am saying you have to trust their judgement).
if family are not available, substitute good friends, Godparents etc.

i know you are interested in orthodox Christianity before meeting her, so hope you can walk together on your spiritual journey. it's a really good idea to be in the same church before getting married.

then once you met each others' families, you can start to get romantic and eat together just the 2 of you, go for long walks etc.

(worked for me and i married before my mid '20s)
may God guide u.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 10:24:16 PM »

Currently I am a senior in my last semester in college. I have met a girl in Orthodox Christian Fellowship (OCF) at campus since April last year. She is an Orthodox Christian and has Greek heritage.  I really like her personality and want to know more about her. We have talked to each other multiple times, and I asked her interests, faith and culture. She is a very family oriented girl.

While interesting in getting to know more about her, I asked her if I can see her in lunch. She said sure and gave me her number without me asking. I don’t know her feeling toward me, but I feel I am attracted to her and want to see if there is something that can develop between me and her.

Here is something I feel concerned about:

Am I too young to date? I am now 22 years old. I am still growing toward spiritual and emotional maturity and definitely not financially ready yet.

Although she is active in Church and OCF, she seems interested in Buddhist mindfulness meditation practice, Zen and energy therapy. I am not saying that she believes in Buddhism, but she is probably into meditation in medical and psychological context to cope with emotional and medical issues. Will this be a big stumbling block for something serious between me and she develops, like emotional attachment? If later she has the same feeling toward me, should I ask her more about that just to be clarified?   

Right now I am only at the initial stage of knowing her. I am young and have never being in a relationship, but I realized it is not always something that seems as not difficult in literature and movies. I think getting to know and be attached to someone really requires time, emotional, spiritual and self discernment.

Of course you are old enough to date... I was already married for 3 years when I was 22. Smiley

I think that's a GREAT sign if you like her if she gave you her number and said "sure" for lunch.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 11:40:19 PM »

I think you're thinking too much. Take her out and see where it goes!

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 12:47:12 AM »

She is a very family oriented girl.

she is active in Church and OCF

should I ask her more about that just to be clarified?   

My impression Hurdle is that she is towards the rare spectrum of people and you would be an idiot not to try to get to know her.

You should definitely not ask her about her meditation practices. Look at items one and two above. She could be perfect in all respects and this question in particular may indicate that  you are a manipulative person. Find out who she is by dating. That is what dating is for.
Hurdle

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 06:41:48 PM »

Thank Branthony, biro, mabsoota, yeshuaisiam, stavros_388 and Opus118.

I talked to her on Friday at the library counter where she worked. For the first half hour she seems interested in conversation, but then she seems not so interested and was using her cell phone.

i first talked to her about Beauty and the Beast, the Disney movie she likes. I tried to show her that I have knowledge in this subject by telling her I know the original plot of the story which dated hundred years ago. "You missed a part. The reason that Beauty likes the beast is not because he gives her beautiful clothes and jewelry," she told me that the reason she brought up the subject because she thought that "I always think girls like guys who [have handsome physical appearance] but the reason why the Beauty likes the Beast is because of his compassion."

She has only one parent who is Greek. And she told me that she is at a stage where she questions about her Orthodox beliefs and Church traditions. She has interests in Buddhism and evolution. I told her Christians also constantly meditate on themselves, and meditative practices are fine as long they have benefits and purely technical within the medical and psychological realms of sciences. I also told her Darwin was definitely a person who has religious thoughts despite of not going to church in the late of his life. I stated that there are some understandings from evolution are acceptable such as the mutation of genes and the adaptation of environment by species. Nevertheless, I said that there are always differences between truths and theories. The theories are always being understood as the ways humans perceiving the truths, but they are constantly being modified and challenged. But at the end, the understanding of Bible and truths can always be aligned perfectly together, when truths are being understood correctly through theories.

Although she told me that I have good understandings, I thought she probably still in disagreement with me. "I am into Buddhism," She said. I told her that "there is a Russian scientist [Dobzhansky] who believes in evolution and still takes the communion every Sunday." "I am the one." She responded me back. She also told me that "I do practice in a form of Christianity," since I referred myself of having a Protestant Christian background.

I asked if I can see her at lunch or time break, she says she is kind of busy with midterms for the next week, but can meet me to talk for 35 minutes at student lounge. "Well, let's do it before the spring break." She said, even though I suggested to do it after break. For the 35 minute time, I think I will keep talking about the things she is always interested (including meditations within medical and psychological context from the article which she gave it to me) and make her feeling happy. I hope she will not feel that her time is being wasted. I am thinking to ask her at the end if I can go with her to Greek Church for the services during the Great Lent, only if she feels comfortable.

As always, I am in constant worries and doubts whether she likes me or not, based on the signs she gave to me. Perhaps I am not the kind of guy for her. I told her that I usually do not make friends in class and work settings. She told me she is different since she makes a lot of friends at work. "Michael (name changed), we are the best friends right?" She spoke to her coworker. This made me jealous, because she has never said my name in front of me, which makes me less happy. I only feel much better when my name is being addressed during conversation while talking to someone.

I am not a prince Sad But in the past eight months and while in the process of knowing her, she still told me a lot about herself, her family background and her interests. Maybe she is just being friendly and nice to me? I am thinking if I should ask her politely before graduating of how she feels about me, whether she can consider me more than a friend.   If her answer is negative or responding me back like "I am not ready/looking for a relationship" or "I am not sure," I will just tell her that I really appreciate her telling me how she feels, and will be more than happy of just being friends if she would like. I might still see her after college, but since I am running out of time and will no longer be in college, I think I perhaps I need to make a decision? If no, moves forward from the that point?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 06:45:27 PM by Hurdle » Logged
Branthony

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 08:29:57 PM »

Ok, well, belief in evolution is not Anti-orthodox, though some people would say it is. I believe in evolution and think the big bang even may be possible. These things do not negate the existence of the Trinity. But that is not what I wanted to say. One, it seems to me that she is starting to rebel against her taught faith. if this is true she will most likely come back to it but now wouldn't be a good time to pursue a relationship with her, but this is only a guess. Also, this is a sad fact, but if you aren't Greek there is a possibility that she will not be interested in you, if your not Greek. If you don't understand, watch the movie "my big fat Greek wedding" a lot of that stuff is an exaggeration but still true on some levels. I learned Orthodoxy in a Greek parish. I was always treated a bit like an outsider and no one would have wanted me to date there daughter, be cause i'm a zenos (stranger). just letting you know man. NOW COMMENCE THE ATTACK ON ME FROM GREEKS!

Forgive me if I misspell something, I am dyslexic and it greatly effects my spelling.
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 09:40:37 PM »

Ok, well, belief in evolution is not Anti-orthodox, though some people would say it is. I believe in evolution and think the big bang even may be possible. These things do not negate the existence of the Trinity. But that is not what I wanted to say. One, it seems to me that she is starting to rebel against her taught faith. if this is true she will most likely come back to it but now wouldn't be a good time to pursue a relationship with her, but this is only a guess. Also, this is a sad fact, but if you aren't Greek there is a possibility that she will not be interested in you, if your not Greek. If you don't understand, watch the movie "my big fat Greek wedding" a lot of that stuff is an exaggeration but still true on some levels. I learned Orthodoxy in a Greek parish. I was always treated a bit like an outsider and no one would have wanted me to date there daughter, be cause i'm a zenos (stranger). just letting you know man. NOW COMMENCE THE ATTACK ON ME FROM GREEKS!

Consider yourself attacked because your statement is not true.

My attention is on Hurdle, however.
Branthony

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 09:45:51 PM »

I knew I would be attacked for the statement but I also know it is true of most Greek parishes. I am not trying to be mean, but I am speaking from personal experience.

Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 11:26:41 PM »

I do like how you write Hurdle and I see something beautiful that is in you because of it.

Thank Branthony, biro, mabsoota, yeshuaisiam, stavros_388 and Opus118.

I talked to her on Friday at the library counter where she worked. For the first half hour she seems interested in conversation, but then she seems not so interested and was using her cell phone.

i first talked to her about Beauty and the Beast, the Disney movie she likes. I tried to show her that I have knowledge in this subject by telling her I know the original plot of the story which dated hundred years ago. "You missed a part. The reason that Beauty likes the beast is not because he gives her beautiful clothes and jewelry," she told me that the reason she brought up the subject because she thought that "I always think girls like guys who [have handsome physical appearance] but the reason why the Beauty likes the Beast is because of his compassion."
She has a good response here, but I do not know if it is specific for the Disney movie or the actual story.

She has only one parent who is Greek. And she told me that she is at a stage where she questions about her Orthodox beliefs and Church traditions. She has interests in Buddhism and evolution. I told her Christians also constantly meditate on themselves, and meditative practices are fine as long they have benefits and purely technical within the medical and psychological realms of sciences. I also told her Darwin was definitely a person who has religious thoughts despite of not going to church in the late of his life. I stated that there are some understandings from evolution are acceptable such as the mutation of genes and the adaptation of environment by species. Nevertheless, I said that there are always differences between truths and theories. The theories are always being understood as the ways humans perceiving the truths, but they are constantly being modified and challenged. But at the end, the understanding of Bible and truths can always be aligned perfectly together, when truths are being understood correctly through theories.

Although it is perhaps great that she is partly Greek (if she adept at making Greek pastries, for example), I keyed in on the fact that she is or was going to OCF and church. I see nothing wrong with your conversation here.

Although she told me that I have good understandings, I thought she probably still in disagreement with me. "I am into Buddhism," She said. I told her that "there is a Russian scientist [Dobzhansky] who believes in evolution and still takes the communion every Sunday." "I am the one." She responded me back. She also told me that "I do practice in a form of Christianity," since I referred myself of having a Protestant Christian background.

This part I did not understand.

I asked if I can see her at lunch or time break, she says she is kind of busy with midterms for the next week, but can meet me to talk for 35 minutes at student lounge. "Well, let's do it before the spring break." She said, even though I suggested to do it after break. For the 35 minute time, I think I will keep talking about the things she is always interested (including meditations within medical and psychological context from the article which she gave it to me) and make her feeling happy. I hope she will not feel that her time is being wasted. I am thinking to ask her at the end if I can go with her to Greek Church for the services during the Great Lent, only if she feels comfortable.

I do not know the significance of the timeline thing. My only concern here is that if you only pander to her interests, she will not know who you are. Do not be afraid of challenging her on anything that you might disagree with. Otherwise, she would be marrying an image of herself and I think she is looking for someone else. This particular topic deserves pages upon pages. But I am leaving it here.

As always, I am in constant worries and doubts whether she likes me or not, based on the signs she gave to me. Perhaps I am not the kind of guy for her. I told her that I usually do not make friends in class and work settings. She told me she is different since she makes a lot of friends at work. "Michael (name changed), we are the best friends right?" She spoke to her coworker. This made me jealous, because she has never said my name in front of me, which makes me less happy. I only feel much better when my name is being addressed during conversation while talking to someone.

For me, it is absolutely rare that I hear my name in a conversation unless there is a reason to distinguish individuals in that conversation. If you were called whathisname then you would have an issue here.

I am not a prince Sad But in the past eight months and while in the process of knowing her, she still told me a lot about herself, her family background and her interests. Maybe she is just being friendly and nice to me? I am thinking if I should ask her politely before graduating of how she feels about me, whether she can consider me more than a friend.   If her answer is negative or responding me back like "I am not ready/looking for a relationship" or "I am not sure," I will just tell her that I really appreciate her telling me how she feels, and will be more than happy of just being friends if she would like. I might still see her after college, but since I am running out of time and will no longer be in college, I think I perhaps I need to make a decision? If no, moves forward from the that point?

A lot of this is good. But the statements that you want to make are premature.

Time is not running out. And there are a multitude of possibilities for what is going on with her. She may have false notions of what she really wants (not uncommon), for example.

It would have been useful to know her major vs yours. And going to graduate school makes you a more attractive target whether you like it or not.

My recommendation is to be yourself and defend your beliefs. For some reason it helps rather than hinders.

Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 11:29:07 PM »

I knew I would be attacked for the statement but I also know it is true of most Greek parishes. I am not trying to be mean, but I am speaking from personal experience.

Having just spent an hour for a one minute post. you do not know Greeks. End of story.

In regard to my reply, I was just responding to your wish.
Branthony

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 12:26:02 AM »

as you wish opus118. I do not what to argue. I'm sure my experience was unique. I learned how to be Orthodox in a Greek parish, I was called Xenos behind my back, I heard it. My priest now is Greek, I love him dearly and he has never done anything like that however we have had Greek funerals before, and at one funeral the granddaughter of the lady came up to me and asked me "Are you Greek?" I told her that I wasn't, her response was "then why do you go to church here?". However as I said, my priest and confessor is Greek, His sister is Greek and so is her husband and I love all three of them dearly. There was an older lady named Katerina at my parish, who I called ya-ya and I loved her very much, sadly she has reposed. A very good friend of mine is Greek and is now on Athos but was at one time my closest friend. none of these folks call me zenos so I guess you are right, and that particular parish was just an isolated thing. Sorry I didn't mean to offend, I just knew that statement was going to cause me to be attacked. forgive me a sinner.

Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 12:42:07 AM »

as you wish opus118. I do not what to argue. I'm sure my experience was unique. I learned how to be Orthodox in a Greek parish, I was called Xenos behind my back, I heard it. My priest now is Greek, I love him dearly and he has never done anything like that however we have had Greek funerals before, and at one funeral the granddaughter of the lady came up to me and asked me "Are you Greek?" I told her that I wasn't, her response was "then why do you go to church here?". However as I said, my priest and confessor is Greek, His sister is Greek and so is her husband and I love all three of them dearly. There was an older lady named Katerina at my parish, who I called ya-ya and I loved her very much, sadly she has reposed. A very good friend of mine is Greek and is now on Athos but was at one time my closest friend. none of these folks call me zenos so I guess you are right, and that particular parish was just an isolated thing. Sorry I didn't mean to offend, I just knew that statement was going to cause me to be attacked. forgive me a sinner.

I was never offended Branthony. I was only trying to amuse you. Your attitude is common here. I still do not understand it, although I have been questioned as to why I do not understand Greek from a few people  (over a half century). Take care.
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 05:11:38 PM »

hurdle, dear brother,
it looks to me like your lady friend just wants to be friends.
please don't be disappointed.
she may change her mind to love you more after you are friends, or she may have a friend / relative that you could meet in later years who could later become your wife.

the first step to meeting a woman you might later marry is to make friends with women.
so you have done the first step; that is very good.

i think it is nice for you to friends with her, for her benefit and for yours, as you may learn from each other.

if you can go treat this just as a friendship and not as a romance, you will grow spiritually and enjoy good friendship.
then if she decides she likes you as more than a friend later, you will be nicely surprised.
this is better than hoping for more than a friendship and being disappointed.
may God guide you and protect you.
Hurdle

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 01:45:34 AM »

Opus118, I really appreciate your time spent on writing for the response. After reading Mabsoota's reply, I realized her speculation can be right. Mabsoota, you had a very beautiful response for me and I really appreciate it. 
This girl told me she had a priority on Tuesday so she couldn't meet. She then asked me if I had anytime on Friday. I responded her and she told me that she would get back to me of her week schedule and hope "we can find a a time." However, she did not and I thought she might have done it intentionally to show that she had no interests in me. 
I felt disappointed and my self-esteem was hurt,and still keep thinking "what if she likes me." I am not sure if it will be fine for me to ask her feeling so I can have a definite answer and move on id doesn't work, but I still treasure this connection since she is the only Greek girl I know well in related to Greek Church. (She is half Greek and half Italian.)
There might be more girls who are more pretty than her, but the reason why I feel being attracted to her is because she is a smart, nice and kind girl.
I had very confusing feelings in my heart. I kept thinking the signs indicating she had no interests, and at the same time thinking why I became interested in her, even though perfectly understood that there were things that I didn't like about her?
She also kind of telling me she also had a crush experience on the guy who had a argument with his girlfriend. She told me they kind of keep texting on each other, and then he stopped responding her. 
At the same time, I also wonder if she appreciate my efforts in getting to know more about her. I tried hard to grasp interests and she definitely noticed that.
But I am not sure if this kind of friendship is worthy. I always have to initiate anything first; Facebook messages, conversation, interests, etc. She never try to find me or talk to me voluntarily. She also seems of being hesitated to associate me with herself in public by keeping distance. I afraid she is just a "friend" on Facebook, and I can't see or do things with her personally.
 I do agree with her that guys need to have compassion to win girls' hearts, but I see physical attraction is not something that can be ignored with other issues such as education, career and family values.
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 06:51:03 PM »

i am sure it is hard to settle for 'second best' and just be friends, but having female friends will help you massively to get used to communicating with women.
so, value the friendship, pray for your friend and stay close to God, who will guide you.
Hurdle

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 05:54:56 PM »

Thank you, Mabsoota.
In the past two weeks, she is always kind of “busy” and “unavailable” when I want to see her. I have wondered if she has no courage to reject going out with me but likes attention.
Feelings are precious because we sometimes give them out because we hope that others respond similarly. I almost convince myself to ask her if she has feeling toward me, but realizing that might lead to a loss of friendship. At the other hand, I always keep interpreting her signs and wonder if she indeed has no interests romantically. It is also hard to be friends with a girl while waiting her to change her mind which is not guaranteed.  I really do not know which one is the right decision for me.
Regardless whether she likes me or not, I have to love myself and keep being friendly toward her.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 08:15:50 PM »

Thank you, Mabsoota.
In the past two weeks, she is always kind of “busy” and “unavailable” when I want to see her. I have wondered if she has no courage to reject going out with me but likes attention.
Feelings are precious because we sometimes give them out because we hope that others respond similarly. I almost convince myself to ask her if she has feeling toward me, but realizing that might lead to a loss of friendship. At the other hand, I always keep interpreting her signs and wonder if she indeed has no interests romantically. It is also hard to be friends with a girl while waiting her to change her mind which is not guaranteed.  I really do not know which one is the right decision for me.
Regardless whether she likes me or not, I have to love myself and keep being friendly toward her.

Sorry to be blunt ... maybe the time has come to give up and move past this experience.
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 09:57:45 PM »

Thank you, Mabsoota.

Before considering SolEX01's suggestion, there are a lot of things that I do not know. The way it sounds so far from your posts, you have not had the opportunity to let "her" know who "you" are. You have not had a philosophical discussion, described your hopes and goals,  or talked about things that interest you but might not interest her. Any one of these things would help define you as a person rather than an unknown. How to get the opportunity, if that is what is needed, is unknown. I would suggest inviting her to something that interests you and that you are knowledgeable in, but she is unlikely to have previously experienced. Novelty is often an attractant. I do not know where you are or what your interests are so I cannot suggest where your opportunities lie.

For me this would be a play, musical, ballet, opera , concert coupled, with dinner in San Francisco, a picnic at Mountain View Cemetery in Oakland (final resting place of the rich and famous; and an interesting stroll), an evening of belly dancing at the Casbah in North Beach (sadly no longer there, nor is the Bagdad, my second choice for this type of venue), or whatever strikes my fancy.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 10:19:40 PM »

Thank you, Mabsoota.
Feelings are precious because we sometimes give them out because we hope that others respond similarly. I almost convince myself to ask her if she has feeling toward me, but realizing that might lead to a loss of friendship. At the other hand, I always keep interpreting her signs and wonder if she indeed has no interests romantically. It is also hard to be friends with a girl while waiting her to change her mind which is not guaranteed.  I really do not know which one is the right decision for me.

Before considering SolEX01's suggestion, there are a lot of things that I do not know. The way it sounds so far from your posts, you have not had the opportunity to let "her" know who "you" are. You have not had a philosophical discussion, described your hopes and goals,  or talked about things that interest you but might not interest her. Any one of these things would help define you as a person rather than an unknown. How to get the opportunity, if that is what is needed, is unknown. I would suggest inviting her to something that interests you and that you are knowledgeable in, but she is unlikely to have previously experienced. Novelty is often an attractant. I do not know where you are or what your interests are so I cannot suggest where your opportunities lie.

For me this would be a play, musical, ballet, opera , concert coupled, with dinner in San Francisco, a picnic at Mountain View Cemetery in Oakland (final resting place of the rich and famous; and an interesting stroll), an evening of belly dancing at the Casbah in North Beach (sadly no longer there, nor is the Bagdad, my second choice for this type of venue), or whatever strikes my fancy.

Opus118 makes some great suggestions for possible first dates with any future love interests.  To the OP, if belly dancing (indifferent to me) and hookah smoking (I never tried it) isn't your thing, there's always competitive trivia (that's my hobby).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:20:59 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
Hurdle

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 12:41:14 AM »

Update:
Since then, I gave her a puzzle as her birthday gift. She seems like it. And I told her indirectly that "she has very beautiful eyes" and "very pretty and gorgeous." She did not seem to know how to response.
When I saw her two weeks later, she did not seem very excited.
Finally, I graduated from college. I wrote an essay for a sociology class in related with gender roles. I realized that a man is always subjected to rejection no matter how great he is. I regretted I did not have a chance to tell her my true feeling to her. She knows that I like her, even I pretended not by telling her "it is not like I have a romantic intention on you." If I see her again, I might tell her straight that I love her.
At the same time, I also feel that women are more cautiously about their dating choices. Oftentimes, they are more socially dependent on men on status and income. Women are often the ones who are responsible to raise up children if the marriage ends up in divorce.
From the last message that I sent to her, I told her that "I really wish to see her in the end of May." She responded that she would like to see me but was not sure if she would be available. She told me she loves my gift.
I am confused. I know that she only wants to be a friend, but I really do not feel she really cares or values me.
I decided to permanently remove my Facebook profile, not because of avoiding her but rather of becoming more private for work and potential employers. I realized that Facebook was the only way that I have used for communication. I still can reach her in the future through phone, but perhaps now I should protect my feelings. I hope she can initiate some communication if she values even if I am only a friend to her.     
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 01:02:19 AM »

Congratulations on graduating from college!   Smiley

What kind of puzzle did you give her?

If the two of you are staying in the same area after graduation, just ask her out.  If she says no, then you can move on in peace.

If she says no, that is not an indictment on you.  I saw my ex-girlfriend (I broke up with her) and a woman that rejected me in public at a recent festival.  Time heals all wounds.   Smiley
Hurdle

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 12:36:40 AM »

I bought a puzzle with the picture of an elegant library, since I knows that she likes readings.
She lives like one and a half hour away from me. She will still have one more year in school.
I am actually glad that she can still be my friend, maybe a friendship in a long term. I might plan to meet her occasionally if she would like to. I also feel young and unable to give a commitment now. I need to wait.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: