Author Topic: Pope Tawadros and Saudi ambassador agree to open Saudi Arabia's first church  (Read 2418 times)

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • "I pledge allegiance to the flag..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Partisan Pro-Chalcedonian Fanatic
  • Taxiarches
  • #FeelTheBern
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
I know they already have Churches in Kuwait.
Not everything I type or have typed in the past is reflective of the teaching of the Orthodox Church, or may not reflect my contemporary views on a subject. (5/30/2015)

I am scaling back posting because the crack in my computer screen makes it harder and harder to type.

Offline Severian

• Drifter
  • Protokentarchos
  • Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth
    • St. Jacob Baradeus' Orthodox Christian Fellowship
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodoxy
The Saudi regime is stained not only with Christian blood, but the blood of its own people. I am unsure as to what has compelled them to allow this. I am still rather skeptical, TBH. If the Church is built, it will probably be destroyed by fundamentalists immediately upon construction. I fear building this Church may cause Christians living in Saudi Arabia to suffer severe retribution. Lord, have mercy.

EDIT: As of yet, no Saudi regime source has confirmed this report:

http://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/454/0/-first-church-in-saudi-arabia-after-reports-of-momentous-accord-with-egypt-s-coptic-pope
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:17:12 AM by Severian »
"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

"I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" -Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

• Taxiarches
  • #FeelTheBern
The Saudi regime is stained not only with Christian blood, but the blood of its own people. I am unsure as to what has compelled them to allow this. I am still rather skeptical, TBH. If the Church is built, it will probably be destroyed by fundamentalists immediately upon construction. I fear building this Church may cause Christians living in Saudi Arabia to suffer severe retribution. Lord, have mercy.

EDIT: As of yet, no Saudi regime source has confirmed this report:

http://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/454/0/-first-church-in-saudi-arabia-after-reports-of-momentous-accord-with-egypt-s-coptic-pope

In fact, Saudi has destroyed Shi'ite and even Sunni religious sites. I think they even destroyed the Prophet's Mosque.
Not everything I type or have typed in the past is reflective of the teaching of the Orthodox Church, or may not reflect my contemporary views on a subject. (5/30/2015)

I am scaling back posting because the crack in my computer screen makes it harder and harder to type.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox. Truly, madly, deeply
If the Church is built, it will probably be destroyed by fundamentalists immediately upon construction.

That is actually a realistic possibility? I don't know anything about Saudis but I thought the king has fairly strict control over the country. Fundamentalists who publically oppose ruling of a king would probably face public beheading or something.
The user should probably be sleeping by now.

Offline qawe

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
This story is rubbish and will never happen in the short/medium-term.

Offline Pharaoh714

• Lord Have Mercy! Christ Save me.
False Story, the Church and the Pope has even denied it.

http://www.copticworld.org/articles/3261/
"If I say, "My foot slips," Your mercy, O LORD, will hold me up. In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul." Psalm 94:18-19

Offline Severian

• Drifter
  • Protokentarchos
  • Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth
    • St. Jacob Baradeus' Orthodox Christian Fellowship
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodoxy

I knew it.

If the Church is built, it will probably be destroyed by fundamentalists immediately upon construction.

That is actually a realistic possibility? I don't know anything about Saudis but I thought the king has fairly strict control over the country. Fundamentalists who publically oppose ruling of a king would probably face public beheading or something.
In theory, you are correct. But many fundies condemn the Saudi regime as being "un-Islamic" and would probably be more than happy to wage jihad against a hypothetical Church, even if it is against the wishes of the government.

It's a new trend in the Islamic world. Rise up against your government and incite violence in your country and suddenly you're lionized as some sort of "hero" or "martyr." ::)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:32:57 AM by Severian »
"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

"I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" -Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

• Taxiarches
  • #FeelTheBern

I knew it.

In theory, you are correct. But many fundies condemn the Saudi regime as being "un-Islamic" and would probably be more than happy to wage jihad against a hypothetical Church, even if it is against the wishes of the government.

It's a new trend in the Islamic world. Rise up against your government and incite violence in your country and suddenly you're lionized as some sort of "hero" or "martyr." ::)

Yeah, and of course the Western media is quick to portray you as a 'democratic force for peace and stability' and then the American drones will come to your aid.  ;)

Offline andrewlya

• OC.net guru
  • God is One & Jesus is the Messiah.
  • Jurisdiction: Pro-Conservatism. Anti-liberalism.
Are there any other Islamic countries, apart from Saudi, that don't allow Churches being built?
I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all people.