Author Topic: Pope Tawadros and Saudi ambassador agree to open Saudi Arabia's first church  (Read 2369 times)

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Christ is risen!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Partisan Pro-Chalcedonian Fanatic
  • Protokentarchos
  • St. John the Merciful
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
I know they already have Churches in Kuwait.
Not everything I type or have typed in the past is reflective of the teaching of the Orthodox Church, or may not reflect my contemporary views on a subject. (4/6/2015)

Glory to Jesus Christ!

قدوس لله قدوس القوي قدوس الذي لا يموت ارحمنا

Offline Severian

• Aspiring Allopathic Ankle Orthodontist
  • Protokentarchos
  • Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth
    • St. Jacob Baradeus' Orthodox Christian Fellowship
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodoxy
The Saudi regime is stained not only with Christian blood, but the blood of its own people. I am unsure as to what has compelled them to allow this. I am still rather skeptical, TBH. If the Church is built, it will probably be destroyed by fundamentalists immediately upon construction. I fear building this Church may cause Christians living in Saudi Arabia to suffer severe retribution. Lord, have mercy.

EDIT: As of yet, no Saudi regime source has confirmed this report:

http://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/454/0/-first-church-in-saudi-arabia-after-reports-of-momentous-accord-with-egypt-s-coptic-pope
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:17:12 AM by Severian »
"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

May the 21 new martyrs pray for us all.

Please, remember me in your prayers

Lord, protect Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq.

• Protokentarchos
  • St. John the Merciful
The Saudi regime is stained not only with Christian blood, but the blood of its own people. I am unsure as to what has compelled them to allow this. I am still rather skeptical, TBH. If the Church is built, it will probably be destroyed by fundamentalists immediately upon construction. I fear building this Church may cause Christians living in Saudi Arabia to suffer severe retribution. Lord, have mercy.

EDIT: As of yet, no Saudi regime source has confirmed this report:

http://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/454/0/-first-church-in-saudi-arabia-after-reports-of-momentous-accord-with-egypt-s-coptic-pope

In fact, Saudi has destroyed Shi'ite and even Sunni religious sites. I think they even destroyed the Prophet's Mosque.
Not everything I type or have typed in the past is reflective of the teaching of the Orthodox Church, or may not reflect my contemporary views on a subject. (4/6/2015)

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to internets.
If the Church is built, it will probably be destroyed by fundamentalists immediately upon construction.

That is actually a realistic possibility? I don't know anything about Saudis but I thought the king has fairly strict control over the country. Fundamentalists who publically oppose ruling of a king would probably face public beheading or something.

Offline qawe

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
This story is rubbish and will never happen in the short/medium-term.

Offline Pharaoh714

• Lord Have Mercy! Christ Save me.
False Story, the Church and the Pope has even denied it.

http://www.copticworld.org/articles/3261/
"If I say, "My foot slips," Your mercy, O LORD, will hold me up. In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul." Psalm 94:18-19

Offline Severian

• Aspiring Allopathic Ankle Orthodontist
  • Protokentarchos
  • Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth
    • St. Jacob Baradeus' Orthodox Christian Fellowship
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodoxy

I knew it.

If the Church is built, it will probably be destroyed by fundamentalists immediately upon construction.

That is actually a realistic possibility? I don't know anything about Saudis but I thought the king has fairly strict control over the country. Fundamentalists who publically oppose ruling of a king would probably face public beheading or something.
In theory, you are correct. But many fundies condemn the Saudi regime as being "un-Islamic" and would probably be more than happy to wage jihad against a hypothetical Church, even if it is against the wishes of the government.

It's a new trend in the Islamic world. Rise up against your government and incite violence in your country and suddenly you're lionized as some sort of "hero" or "martyr." ::)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:32:57 AM by Severian »
"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

May the 21 new martyrs pray for us all.

Please, remember me in your prayers

Lord, protect Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq.

• Protokentarchos
  • St. John the Merciful

I knew it.

In theory, you are correct. But many fundies condemn the Saudi regime as being "un-Islamic" and would probably be more than happy to wage jihad against a hypothetical Church, even if it is against the wishes of the government.

It's a new trend in the Islamic world. Rise up against your government and incite violence in your country and suddenly you're lionized as some sort of "hero" or "martyr." ::)

Yeah, and of course the Western media is quick to portray you as a 'democratic force for peace and stability' and then the American drones will come to your aid.  ;)

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Offline andrewlya

• OC.net guru
  • God is One & Jesus is the Messiah.
  • Jurisdiction: Pro-Conservatism. Anti-liberalism.
Are there any other Islamic countries, apart from Saudi, that don't allow Churches being built?
I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all people.