OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 10:50:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope Tawadros and Saudi ambassador agree to open Saudi Arabia's first church  (Read 454 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« on: February 22, 2014, 12:53:22 AM »

http://www.mcndirect.com/showsubject.aspx?id=52435

Does anyone know more about this? 

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
xOrthodox4Christx
OC.net guru

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

xOrthodox4Christx
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 01:08:55 AM »

I know they already have Churches in Kuwait.

My posting on this forum is currently on hiatus, until mid-June 2014.

Have a nice spring. Smiley
Severian
Glory be to the Most-Holy Trinity, both now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians!

Partisangirl
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 01:10:40 AM »

The Saudi regime is stained not only with Christian blood, but the blood of its own people. I am unsure as to what has compelled them to allow this. I am still rather skeptical, TBH. If the Church is built, it will probably be destroyed by fundamentalists immediately upon construction. I fear building this Church may cause Christians living in Saudi Arabia to suffer severe retribution. Lord, have mercy.

EDIT: As of yet, no Saudi regime source has confirmed this report:

http://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/454/0/-first-church-in-saudi-arabia-after-reports-of-momentous-accord-with-egypt-s-coptic-pope
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:17:12 AM by Severian » Logged

May the Risen Lord have mercy on all of His servants, especially in Egypt, Syria, Iraq, occupied Palestine, & Serbian Kosovo.
xOrthodox4Christx
OC.net guru

xOrthodox4Christx
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 01:20:03 AM »

The Saudi regime is stained not only with Christian blood, but the blood of its own people. I am unsure as to what has compelled them to allow this. I am still rather skeptical, TBH. If the Church is built, it will probably be destroyed by fundamentalists immediately upon construction. I fear building this Church may cause Christians living in Saudi Arabia to suffer severe retribution. Lord, have mercy.

EDIT: As of yet, no Saudi regime source has confirmed this report:

http://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/454/0/-first-church-in-saudi-arabia-after-reports-of-momentous-accord-with-egypt-s-coptic-pope

In fact, Saudi has destroyed Shi'ite and even Sunni religious sites. I think they even destroyed the Prophet's Mosque.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 02:38:19 AM »

If the Church is built, it will probably be destroyed by fundamentalists immediately upon construction.

That is actually a realistic possibility? I don't know anything about Saudis but I thought the king has fairly strict control over the country. Fundamentalists who publically oppose ruling of a king would probably face public beheading or something.

qawe

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 03:22:20 AM »

This story is rubbish and will never happen in the short/medium-term.
Pharaoh714

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Lord Have Mercy! Christ Save me.

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 04:55:11 AM »

False Story, the Church and the Pope has even denied it.

http://www.copticworld.org/articles/3261/

"If I say, "My foot slips," Your mercy, O LORD, will hold me up. In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul." Psalm 94:18-19
Severian
Glory be to the Most-Holy Trinity, both now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians!

Partisangirl
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 05:26:11 AM »

I knew it.

If the Church is built, it will probably be destroyed by fundamentalists immediately upon construction.

That is actually a realistic possibility? I don't know anything about Saudis but I thought the king has fairly strict control over the country. Fundamentalists who publically oppose ruling of a king would probably face public beheading or something.
In theory, you are correct. But many fundies condemn the Saudi regime as being "un-Islamic" and would probably be more than happy to wage jihad against a hypothetical Church, even if it is against the wishes of the government.

It's a new trend in the Islamic world. Rise up against your government and incite violence in your country and suddenly you're lionized as some sort of "hero" or "martyr." Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:32:57 AM by Severian » Logged

May the Risen Lord have mercy on all of His servants, especially in Egypt, Syria, Iraq, occupied Palestine, & Serbian Kosovo.
xOrthodox4Christx
OC.net guru

xOrthodox4Christx
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 12:02:16 PM »

I knew it.

In theory, you are correct. But many fundies condemn the Saudi regime as being "un-Islamic" and would probably be more than happy to wage jihad against a hypothetical Church, even if it is against the wishes of the government.

It's a new trend in the Islamic world. Rise up against your government and incite violence in your country and suddenly you're lionized as some sort of "hero" or "martyr." Roll Eyes

Yeah, and of course the Western media is quick to portray you as a 'democratic force for peace and stability' and then the American drones will come to your aid.  Wink

andrewlya
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Christianity is not a religion,it is a relationship with God

Christian all my life and is still learning

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 04:10:52 PM »

Are there any other Islamic countries, apart from Saudi, that don't allow Churches being built?

I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all the people
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: