OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 06:51:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disasters and Orthodoxy.  (Read 284 times) Average Rating: 0
Raylight
Moderated
OC.net guru

« on: February 21, 2014, 05:47:54 AM »

English is my second language, you will find some misspellings here and there.

Hello.

On 9/11, sadly many people worldwide thought that the awful events are somehow a "punishment" from God. Even Christian leaders in America blamed, abortion, gays, lesbians and secularism...etc for the attacks and said that God is "punishing" the United States!!

The same happened when 2004 Tsunami took place. And many other natural disasters including hurricane Katrina and Sandy.

In the Old Testament, there was many times when God used nature to punish the wicked nations.

Personally, I don't like thinking that any disaster is something God did. I simply don't know and don't really care because it is not my job to judge.

What is the Orthodox perspective on such issue ?

Also, am I contradicting myself when I don't like to think that God is punishing the world through disasters ? Because in the OT God did indeed punish many nations, and I do of course believe in the OT and all what is in it.

Peace.
Raylight
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 10:25:04 PM »

Huh  Huh  Huh
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 10:32:39 PM »

Nope.

Also, am I contradicting myself when I don't like to think that God is punishing the world through disasters ? Because in the OT God did indeed punish many nations, and I do of course believe in the OT and all what is in it.

The Bible has a literal meaning and an allegorical meaning. Also, the Jews were interpreting what they believed God was, in the Old Testament. The New Testament shows us who God really is, in the Incarnation.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:38:47 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
DeniseDenise
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 10:36:51 PM »

My understanding, and I am NOT WISE, of Natural Disasters:

The earth itself also suffers the consequences of the fall of man to sin. So things that we would consider a disaster happen due to this...not due to God punishing us.

Wiser people then myself will correct me, please!

Gunnarr
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 02:42:11 AM »

St. John Chrysostom said the earthquakes in Constantinople were a sign of God's anger at the citizens, further talking about the shaking of the earth at the Crucifixion of Christ. That is just one opinion

God does have the power to control the weather of course, or would one deny that? and also the power to intervene as we have seen again and again, could God have prevented 9/11? Yes

if you want i will quote the entire passage if you are curious anyway
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:43:48 AM by Gunnarr » Logged

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Jovan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Scandinavia

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 03:30:41 AM »

I would say that these things are certainly a punishment to us, either by (as DeniseDenise pointed out so well) the consequences of the fallen world we live in, or by the way we´re living in a certain time.

But very important to notice, we are the cause for the punishment, God is not sending punishment on his own will. Rather when we break the commandments of God by our way of living, we allow more of the devil into the world, resulting in these obvious consequences.

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
Ersaia
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 04:49:31 AM »

We don't have Tsunami or hurricane in Greece
so God loves Greece and punish others
this reminds me an old joke

Don't blame God for everything, it's nature and earth problems usually
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 10:53:23 AM »

It could just be a natural happening--which, personally, I think is the most common explanation by far. But they could in theory also be seen as a punishment, or a correction... and if a parent is loving they can be both and more at the same time. St. Gregory the Theologian seemed to think so about the famine that hit his area at one point.

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 12:57:44 PM »

Jesus Christ seems to tell us that nature is brutal to us already & that we must remain vigilant, penitent, & steadfast in the golden rule (Matthew 7:1-12), the 2 great commands (Matthew 22: 36-40). Bad things will happen to anyone (Luke 13: 1-5), on a grand scale (Luke 21, Matthew 24, 25 etc). We have to be wary in perceiving what is divine wrath (see Luke 9: 51-56).

Antiochian OC N.A.
Incognito777
Muted
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 01:30:36 AM »

Raylight,

God is absolutely sovereign. Nothing happens unless he approves of it.

Isaiah 45:7

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things."

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: