OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:35:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dumpster diving as an act of faith  (Read 161 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 20, 2014, 02:51:09 PM »

NEW YORK (RNS) As a musician barely scraping by, Gio Andollo looks to trash bins as a way of life.....He says the freeganism movement, or the practice of reclaiming and eating food that has been discarded, is populated mostly by nonreligious people. But for Andollo, Dumpster diving is an act of faith, one that is motivated by a biblical mandate to care for the Earth.
Dumpster divers are of a particular demographic, said Sharon Cornelissen, a doctoral student at Princeton who researched divers for her master’s in sociology. She said the movement generally attracts educated white people in their 20s and 30s; typically, they are people who do it by choice rather than need.
Sojourners, a Christian magazine dedicated to social justice, featured Dumpster diving on its cover in 2006, motivating Micah Holden to begin trying it a year later. Now he lives with his wife and daughter in Wheaton, Ill., where they occasionally blog about being a Dumpster diving family in suburbia. Holden, who is a nurse, said his motivations to go once or twice a week are mixed.
“I have a strong belief in being resourceful and not be wasteful,” he said. “Part of that is being a good steward and being a Christian. But there’s also a selfish motivation. I can get these things for free for myself.”

He and his wife shop at the grocery and online, like any other consumer, but Dumpster diving is an added hobby.

“It’s not the norm for your average evangelical suburbanite,” he said.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 09:18:09 AM »

Don't knock it, especially if you live in a metropolitan area.  When a restaurant closes, I think it is a perfectly good idea to go to their dumpster and collect the food they have sinfully discarded.  I just recommended this to a friend going through a tough financial time.  You'd be surprised how much food is tossed out that hasn't touched a human mouth.  It is a scandal. 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 04:04:01 PM »

That's good!!!! Smiley

Nothing that is mandated, nothing that is required, but somebody acting on their own as an act of faith to be a good steward to God's creations and blessings for us.

I heavily admire the freeganism movement.  It *sort of* is for me, but I really could not do that with children.  I'm more of a "working quasi freegan".   Work the farm, get free veggies, get free milk, get free butter, get free cheese, get free eggs, etc.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: