Author Topic: shorts, pants, pajamas, and I can't say what else...  (Read 5825 times)

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
shorts, pants, pajamas, and I can't say what else...
« on: January 16, 2014, 05:45:21 PM »
Still, sleeves or go home (and put sleeves on).

LOL! Totally agree. But if you are ripped and black it can work. There are a lot of fashion exceptions for black men.

I am the same way about shorts, though I do wear them at home. Like within the walls of my abode when no else is around.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
Re: shorts, pants, pajamas, and I can't say what else...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:42:17 PM »
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 06:44:45 PM by augustin717 »
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Ionnis

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 12:22:13 AM »
I am the same way about shorts, though I do wear them at home. Like within the walls of my abode when no else is around.

Do you have any dignity whatsoever?  There is never an appropriate time to wear shorts.  Never. :-P
"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 12:31:43 AM »

Do you have any dignity whatsoever?  There is never an appropriate time to wear shorts.  Never. :-P

Generally, I agree with you, and even on the hottest, most humid days of summer, I will still wear pants, jeans, but not shorts.  Even to sleep, I'll wear pajama pants.  But there are some nights when it is altogether too hot to sleep in those, and on those occasions, I'll wear shorts. 

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 12:42:49 AM »

Generally, I agree with you, and even on the hottest, most humid days of summer, I will still wear pants, jeans, but not shorts.  Even to sleep, I'll wear pajama pants.  But there are some nights when it is altogether too hot to sleep in those, and on those occasions, I'll wear shorts. 

Sleeping in clothes is for children. I can't imagine. Actually I can, cause I recently had to and I could barely sleep. It was torture. You gotta let your body air out at least for 8 hours a day.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 12:46:08 AM »
Sleeping in clothes is for children. I can't imagine. Actually I can, cause I recently had to and I could barely sleep. It was torture. You gotta let your body air out at least for 8 hours a day.

Eh.  It's what you're used to, I suppose.  I can't sleep without sheets or a blanket or something, so even if I was airing out I wouldn't be airing out. 

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 12:49:36 AM »

Eh.  It's what you're used to, I suppose.  I can't sleep without sheets or a blanket or something, so even if I was airing out I wouldn't be airing out. 
Every American that found out that mostly during winter I wearing pajamas made fun of me.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 12:54:55 AM »

Every American that found out that mostly during winter I wearing pajamas made fun of me.

Almost everyone I know wear some clothes to bed. I get the weird comments about my wearing nothing. Maybe it's the word pajamas?

In my ideal world, I would be alone and without clothing. In the somewhat fallen world it is always cool enough for long sleeves and light jacket and others cover appropriately as well.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 12:57:59 AM »
Yes, but it's usually underwear plus a tee-shirt. Pajamas are old-fashioned. But of course, during the dog-nights of summer I go as I came out of the womb.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 01:13:46 AM »
Pajamas are old-fashioned.

That's the only reason why I would wear one. But alas sleeping without clothes is a lot more comfortable.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 02:18:16 AM »
We're getting into the realm of way too much information here, guys.  Let's please get back to sleeveless shirts.  Thanks.   :)

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 05:44:09 AM »

+1

Shorts are horrible. Never wear them.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 05:55:20 AM »

+1

Desperate times demand desperate measures.  Sometimes it's too hot to wear pants. However if you wear them you must do it right. Most people who wear them do it wrong.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 06:11:13 AM »

+1

Desperate times demand desperate measures.  Sometimes it's too hot to wear pants. However if you wear them you must do it right. Most people who wear them do it wrong.

Quite right. Overweight, middle-aged men in cargo pants ..... there oughta be a law ....  :P :P :P
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Such times are rare, such times are fleeting
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 06:48:59 AM »
The problem is not so much with the shorts as with the footwear that accompanies them. Unless you really want to look like a member of LMFAO. :D
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 02:31:19 AM »
If I remember Cicero, writing on the vulgar and barbarians, said shorts are uncouth.

[Shorts] vulgarus est et atiretus de vulgarus populus Romanae et Germanus barbarius.

Sorry there is not Latin word for shorts. There is a Greek word but the Romans refused to transliterate it because the said it was sissy attire of those boy-loving Greeks. When the Germanic hoards invaded Rome they came like so:

That is a photograph taken of them coming down the Tiber taken by a Roman prostitute--her more intimate images can be found in the Vatican Libary. Tacitus says the sight of this barbarian attack was more amazing than Hannibal marching in on elephants that sight. By the way that Roman prostitute who took the picture was wearing a sleeveless shirt. Just thought the OP should know. 
The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.
                                                             -Aristotle

Mor Ephrem, section moderator[/b][/color]

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 03:41:43 AM »
This was split off from a thread about the propriety of sleeveless shirts:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,55509.new.html#top

Offline dzheremi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 05:40:55 AM »

+1

There is no right way to do something so wrong.

If I am ever seen in shorts, it is safe to assume that I am very sick and am only outside in order to look in vain for a place to die. I am convinced that the only reason I am alive is because all of my being refuses to be discovered post-mortem, much less buried, in shorts. Ugh. A fate worse than death, to be sure.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 05:53:45 AM »
You all must have chicken-leg-calves, or something else life-changingly tragic like that, to be so bitter and have such a warped view of shorts.
"We are all human beans. What is left now is for each of us to grow to our full potential in Christ." - Abba Hezekiah

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 06:30:12 AM »
But there is always the lesser evil. As Orthodox Christians we are not to have a juridicial understanding of life but to apply economia whenever it's necessary.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:32:37 AM by Alpo »

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 03:55:28 PM »
But there is always the lesser evil. As Orthodox Christians we are not to have a juridicial understanding of life but to apply economia whenever it's necessary.

Yes, like on divorce. I remember when I told my trad Catholic friend that I was tempted to Eastern Orthodoxy. His response was, "Yeah, but my problem is they have divorce." I looked into it and after looking more deeply into Eastern Orthodoxy considered that allowing divorce makes more sense than the Catholic "annulment" which is of course juridical idea that marriage never existed based on the Scripture "what God has put together let no man put asunder." I think a member on this forum, which divorce in Orthodoxy came up among trad and conservative Catholics said that very same thing about economia. But I think the Latins have theirs too with their clever Scholastic sophistry myself. Divorce makes sense in the modern world because people understand marriage so wrongly that they get into a marriage without properly understanding the evil that a divorce causes, not only to each other but to the children. But I consider that in a bad marriage it may be better for the couple divorce than give scandal to themselves and their children. But Catholics go so far as to say this. They just say the separated couple cannot remarry or must find grounds to say the marriage never was. The Orthodox are much more practical about it all in my opinion. That's just an example I think that further proves your point.

Of course Catholics have become so leglaistic that I have seen them argue about at what point shorts become a venial sin on a woman and at what point mortal sin, and the same for men. I never liked baggy shorts and if I wear them to work out mine would be above the knee and well fitting. The first reason of course is to tempt, or rather promote, hot women to look at my lovely caboose as we called in elementary school. But also because, well, baggy shorts, like boxers, are for homophobic men who are afraid of being called gay by people who think underwear and well fitting clothes make your worthy of the fires of Sodom.
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 04:00:12 PM »
But I have not worn shorts in a long time. Aren't baggy clothes out of style, like 90s stuff? I just remember baggy being the cool thing to do back in elementary school. Now it's just gangsta isn't it to purposely wear baggy clothes? Call me a snob but I find it tasteless not to wear clothes that fit you properly, and I find it an injustice to a woman's beauty for a woman not to wear clothes than bring out her body. Always a sad thing to see a beautiful woman with a good body in clothes that don't fit her. "Does this make me look fat?" "Actually it does. And like a depressed woman who has let go of herself."
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 04:52:37 PM »
Sexy lingerie underwear  ;)
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 05:08:09 PM »
You all must have chicken-leg-calves, or something else life-changingly tragic like that, to be so bitter and have such a warped view of shorts.

True this.

I don't see the problem with shorts (cargo, plaid, etc.) on guys so long as they are about knee length and preferably worn with sandals of some kind. But if they're showing off your thighs then you need to go back to the 80's and stay there.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2014, 05:23:18 PM »
What's with the aversion towards shorts?  I work in an environment that's labor intensive, plus in the summer it gets incredibly hot, humid, and stuffy.  I can't stand the feeling of wet clothes on me.  I don't wear them to church, but I couldn't imagine life without shorts.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2014, 05:58:29 PM »

True this.

I don't see the problem with shorts (cargo, plaid, etc.) on guys so long as they are about knee length and preferably worn with sandals of some kind.

No, this is exactly how it shouldn't be done. All who wear cargos and sandals should be excommunicated.

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2014, 06:53:19 PM »

True this.

I don't see the problem with shorts (cargo, plaid, etc.) on guys so long as they are about knee length and preferably worn with sandals of some kind.

No, this is exactly how it shouldn't be done. All who wear cargos and sandals should be excommunicated.

I second that but we have to call a council to clear this up. You're acting like the pope if you think you can just excommunicate anyone on a whim. We need to call an ecumenical council for that. I think Putin has the authority for that since he is closet think to emperor of the Romans. He has already said that mixing whiskey and soda is not right. I am sure he'd agree to call a council on the cargo short matter where all the bishops could agree whether those who wear cargo shorts are anathema.
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2014, 07:01:45 PM »
I have to wear shorts at home and I have to wear shorts in the summer. Pants are just too darn uncomfortable.
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2014, 08:19:14 PM »
What's with the aversion towards shorts?  I work in an environment that's labor intensive, plus in the summer it gets incredibly hot, humid, and stuffy.  I can't stand the feeling of wet clothes on me.  I don't wear them to church, but I couldn't imagine life without shorts.

I am gonna have to bring up old timers stripping and hanging tobacco with long sleeves and ties again I guess.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2014, 09:52:01 PM »
I do not think it should be a terrible temptation for a normal man as long as we are not talking cleavage, middrift, etc.

Here we go, placing the foibles of some men on all women. You could bring a woman into my presence naked. I would be OK. If most men are honest, arousal which is not temptation, is an irreducibly complex phenomenon. Men who want to pretend to be foreverpotent will exaggerate the effect of the appearance of a woman on their psyche. 

Most women are sensible. When in Rome . . . Frankly, when women step outside the norm, it is rarely provocative in an arousing manner but rather in an uncomfortable manner. For example, my once seeing a woman wearing to what amounted to a transparent dress to a DL. I could have told you the cut and color of her underwear. I wasn't aroused, just a little unsure of how to act to mitigate her embarrassment before I told her later of her clothing predicament.

Everyone who was "too shy" to do what I did, I asked some women to talk to her, none were particularly aroused or angry, just wanted to avoid embarrassing her. 

I guess it was a dress that didn't look see through up close and when wearing it.

Now, if you take the same situation and place it in place where sex is the reason for being there, a club or whatever. Then it is quite different. But then, it is also NBD cause that is reason why everyone is there.

When in Rome. Guys who are forever tempted will be no matter what you do and in my experience the more society capitulates to that "weakness" the worse it makes the weakness, not better.

There was a Melkite Catholic Priest who got a hole in his pants.

True story.

He did not notice the hole. However, he paraded in and  out the church and around town, but no one said a peep about this hole.

Finally, he turned in for the night, and as he was changing into his bed clothes, he discovered the hole.

That happened on a Wednesday, and the following Sunday, that incident was told to the entire parish as part of his sermon where he ranted that if he were a married priest instead of a celibate priest, surely his wife would have discretely mentioned the hole. In fact, she would have demanded that he remove the pants and  then patch them for him. He concluded his sermon by asking: Why cannot anyone be courageous enough to disclose a hole in a priest's pants? Most of the parishioners were red faced and were trying very hard to suppress a laugh. Some altar boys could not resist, and occasionally we heard a chuckle.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2014, 10:53:01 PM »

I am gonna have to bring up old timers stripping and hanging tobacco with long sleeves and ties again I guess.

LOL.  You forgot to add the coal mines.  I reckon all I can say about that is, when air conditioning was invented, they were (and are) happy to come inside.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2014, 01:07:00 AM »
What's with the aversion towards shorts?  I work in an environment that's labor intensive, plus in the summer it gets incredibly hot, humid, and stuffy.  I can't stand the feeling of wet clothes on me.  I don't wear them to church, but I couldn't imagine life without shorts.

LOL.  You forgot to add the coal mines.  I reckon all I can say about that is, when air conditioning was invented, they were (and are) happy to come inside.

You might care to take a look at how air conditioning might be responsible for the end of all that is good. Just for the reason you give. Everyone went indoors whereas they used to stay outside and actually had neighborhoods.

That being said.

I didn't have AC till I became an adult. I will never take it for granted nor hot water on demand. I truly feel like a perverse king if I can keep the place below 76F during the summer and take a hot bath whenever I want.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:07:23 AM by orthonorm »

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2014, 01:14:16 AM »
What's with the aversion towards shorts?  I work in an environment that's labor intensive, plus in the summer it gets incredibly hot, humid, and stuffy.  I can't stand the feeling of wet clothes on me.  I don't wear them to church, but I couldn't imagine life without shorts.

LOL.  You forgot to add the coal mines.  I reckon all I can say about that is, when air conditioning was invented, they were (and are) happy to come inside.

You might care to take a look at how air conditioning might be responsible for the end of all that is good. Just for the reason you give. Everyone went indoors whereas they used to stay outside and actually had neighborhoods.

Nothing to disagree with.  I always like encouraging folks to have a small garden and then, weeks later, listening to all the complaining about mosquitos and other pests.  My garden, beehive, and eventual chicken coop will hopefully keep my hands dirty for most of the coming year.  And I plan to do most of it in shorts.  :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:14:46 AM by GabrieltheCelt »

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2014, 01:21:10 AM »

Where did this come from?  ???
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2014, 01:35:31 AM »

Most likely Victoria and her secrets.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2014, 01:40:48 AM »

Depending on the Victoria, I'm not interested. 

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2014, 01:44:27 AM »

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2014, 01:48:00 AM »
Sexy lingerie underwear  ;)

Where did this come from?  ???

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

She doesn't approve of shorts, either.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:48:13 AM by ZealousZeal »
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2014, 01:56:45 AM »

Well, OCnet has seen its fair share of people divulging sensitive information about their personal lives.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2014, 01:59:27 AM »

Well, with all the children she had, that must be true.  ;)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2014, 02:08:06 AM »

I would have preferred never to have thought about the first and only Empress of India in that way.  Thanks.  :P

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2014, 02:09:21 AM »
Well, OCnet has seen its fair share of people divulging sensitive information about their personal lives.

We are not done yet.  Not by a long shot.   

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2014, 02:15:00 AM »

Emotional-exhibitionism is a neurobiological sickness and Orthodoxy is the cure.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 02:15:41 AM by Asteriktos »
"We are all human beans. What is left now is for each of us to grow to our full potential in Christ." - Abba Hezekiah

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2014, 02:17:57 AM »

We are not done yet.  Not by a long shot.   

Stay strong, brother. We'e not gonna fall.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Such times are rare, such times are fleeting
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2014, 03:53:26 AM »

They are not amused, either. ;)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~