OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 03:35:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fasting with an expectation - wrong?  (Read 436 times) Average Rating: 0
Faith2545
Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: greek

« on: November 01, 2013, 12:33:29 PM »

I decided to start a week long fast tomm, for the feast of St. Nektarios on Nov 9. I decided that I'll do a strict fast with regards to oil and go strictly vegan (which is what I.)

Is it wrong to fast with the intentions of seeking answers from prayers? Meaning to fast with a purpose of receiving something in return, is that wrong?
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 01:40:44 PM »

I decided to start a week long fast tomm, for the feast of St. Nektarios on Nov 9. I decided that I'll do a strict fast with regards to oil and go strictly vegan (which is what I.)

Is it wrong to fast with the intentions of seeking answers from prayers? Meaning to fast with a purpose of receiving something in return, is that wrong?

Short answer: no. 

Less short answer: if your intention is merely to add "force" to your prayer, there's nothing wrong with it, even our Lord spoke of the efficacy of combining prayer with fasting, but if you're doing it to bribe God and/or the saint to give you what you want, you're doing it wrong. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 02:35:38 PM »

Short answer: no. 

Less short answer: if your intention is merely to add "force" to your prayer, there's nothing wrong with it, even our Lord spoke of the efficacy of combining prayer with fasting, but if you're doing it to bribe God and/or the saint to give you what you want, you're doing it wrong. 

Thanks! However, I don't understand what you mean by bribing? I hope I haven't done it sub-consciously at least. For example, just like women pray for a child and have one, and say they name it after the saint they're praying to, is that bribing? Or praying & fasting for a better job, let's say, is that bribing? I'm not sure now!
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 01:30:21 AM »

I don't think that kind of stuff is bribing, its more the thought of "I am fasting, therefore you must answer my prayers" kind of thinking to make sure to avoid in the head. try to keep a mindset of something like, "I am fasting, please answer my prayers" or something. don't demand, instead ask. I think that is all he meant by bribing. I don't think naming a child after the saint one prayed for fertility is bribing, as long as you don't set out in your prayer that "if you give me a child I will name it after you, Saint!"

also something to avoid:

"I have prayed for this amount of time, so I am good"

when it should not be about how long you pray but how heartfelt your prayers are and such

anyway, about your original question, I would say no it is not wrong really, i think it would be better to hope rather than to expect I guess though. I think in the end it is fine to fast and to pray and hope for an answer to the prayer, since fasting helps prayer.

sorry if i make no sense

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 02:00:26 AM »

Thanks! However, I don't understand what you mean by bribing? I hope I haven't done it sub-consciously at least. For example, just like women pray for a child and have one, and say they name it after the saint they're praying to, is that bribing? Or praying & fasting for a better job, let's say, is that bribing? I'm not sure now!

Basically, what Gunnarr said. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 01:32:39 PM »

I do not know if it was bribery, but  on October 22, 1962, I prayed to God and promised to give up candy until Christmas (which I did).

All I know is that life on earth (as we know it) continued.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 04:39:01 PM »

brother, you are older than me!
congratulations!
 Wink

do you have any more recent fasting stories or tips?

i think extra fasting is fine, and if you are not sure about your motives, then you should be able to get advice from your priest.
Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 09:31:47 PM »

I don't think that kind of stuff is bribing, its more the thought of "I am fasting, therefore you must answer my prayers" kind of thinking to make sure to avoid in the head. try to keep a mindset of something like, "I am fasting, please answer my prayers" or something. don't demand, instead ask. I think that is all he meant by bribing. I don't think naming a child after the saint one prayed for fertility is bribing, as long as you don't set out in your prayer that "if you give me a child I will name it after you, Saint!"

also something to avoid:

"I have prayed for this amount of time, so I am good"

when it should not be about how long you pray but how heartfelt your prayers are and such

anyway, about your original question, I would say no it is not wrong really, i think it would be better to hope rather than to expect I guess though. I think in the end it is fine to fast and to pray and hope for an answer to the prayer, since fasting helps prayer.

sorry if i make no sense

I've understood both points - thanks so much Smiley
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 12:22:26 PM »

I agree with what the others have said, and would like to offer an alternate way of putting it: fasting with your prayer indicates your sincerity and dedication to the question/situation at hand.  It is a work that helps enliven your faith (because faith without works is dead).  As long as there is no expectation of quid pro quo (something for something) - i.e. I'm doing this, you must do what I ask - then you're ok.  The prayer may be answered in a way you don't expect; as long as your true goal is salvation for yourself and those around you, be joyful in whatever outcome arises.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: