OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 17, 2014, 10:45:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: How do you feel about Halloween?
I will be going to Church on Halloween - 4 (7.5%)
Not participating - 21 (39.6%)
I will dress up and/or give out candy - 28 (52.8%)
Total Voters: 53

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halloween Poll  (Read 1809 times) Average Rating: 0
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2013, 09:26:27 PM »

When teens and tweens start turning it into a very dark thing, focusing on skulls and death and demons and gore

What percentage of teens that celebrate Halloween do you think do that sort of thing?

A whole lot of them.

Yes, I met some while out this night. Rude, persistent and amused at their own wit. Others I managed to avoid but others were not so lucky. Cannot find anything to commend the whole notion of 'Trick or Treat'.
Mrs. Jord

Faith: Catholic marrying Orthodox

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2013, 09:57:40 PM »

I celebrate All Saint's Day, but I've decided I won't participate in secular Halloween anymore.  Jord doesn't celebrate it either, so when we have children in the near future, we won't be doing the whole trick-or-treat thing.

People who defend Halloween say, "Yes, but it was turned into a Christian holiday!"  That may have been true in the past, but this secular "Halloween," as we know it, which tries to turn darkness, "spookiness," "ghouls," etc. as lighthearted fun has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity, or any of its messages.  It's reverted back to a commercialized, secular Samhain. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:03:12 PM by Mrs. Jord » Logged
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2013, 10:19:39 PM »

When teens and tweens start turning it into a very dark thing, focusing on skulls and death and demons and gore

What percentage of teens that celebrate Halloween do you think do that sort of thing?

A whole lot of them.

Yes, I met some while out this night. Rude, persistent and amused at their own wit. Others I managed to avoid but others were not so lucky. Cannot find anything to commend the whole notion of 'Trick or Treat'.

Really, the updated DSM should've included Celebrating Halloween over the age of 12 as a mental disorder.
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2013, 10:59:35 PM »

Is drinking vodka on graves disrespecting to the dead?
http://youtu.be/lPOM0IUsd_0

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2013, 11:08:20 PM »

I do not see the significance of celebrating Halloween and put its importance to the level of April's Fools Dsy...but only a bit.more dangerous. We fail to acknowledge that therebis a diffrrence in the cause of celebrating Halloween. I would like to read why any of you do or do not celebrate Halloween.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2013, 11:25:46 PM »

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 11:26:17 PM by rakovsky » Logged
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

On Sabbatical until Mid-December

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2013, 12:05:55 AM »

Really, the updated DSM should've included Celebrating Halloween over the age of 12 as a mental disorder.

You're not a good sport.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2013, 12:23:02 AM »

I do not see the significance of celebrating Halloween and put its importance to the level of April's Fools Dsy...but only a bit.more dangerous. We fail to acknowledge that therebis a diffrrence in the cause of celebrating Halloween. I would like to read why any of you do or do not celebrate Halloween.
It is just good clean fun.  A lot of people dress in costumes during the day.  The Mrs. and I do not dress in costumes as much as we used to, or we just wear something simple.  We give out candy to the trick or treaters in the evening.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2013, 12:26:31 AM »

I don't see Ramadan represented here.  Or is that what the stick of dynamite is for? 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

This is where I choose to tread

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2013, 12:28:25 AM »

I don't see Ramadan represented here.  Or is that what the stick of dynamite is for? 

Dang man, that's some straight-up political comic artist shtick.

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2013, 03:26:06 AM »

Samhain. 
We really don't know much about this.

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2013, 05:02:43 AM »

People who defend Halloween say, "Yes, but it was turned into a Christian holiday!"  That may have been true in the past, but this secular "Halloween," as we know it, which tries to turn darkness, "spookiness," "ghouls," etc. as lighthearted fun has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity, or any of its messages.  It's reverted back to a commercialized, secular Samhain.  

Don't you believe in Christmas trees either?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 05:02:53 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2013, 05:09:18 AM »

People who defend Halloween say, "Yes, but it was turned into a Christian holiday!"  That may have been true in the past, but this secular "Halloween," as we know it, which tries to turn darkness, "spookiness," "ghouls," etc. as lighthearted fun has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity, or any of its messages.  It's reverted back to a commercialized, secular Samhain. 

People who defend Christmas say "Yes, but it was turned into a Christian holiday!" That may have been true in the past, but this secular "Christmas" as we know it, which tries to turn fat men on a sled, dressed-up trees, midgets, etc. as lighthearted fun has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity, or any of its messages.  It's reverted back to a commercialized, secular Samhain. 

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2013, 06:28:54 AM »

People who defend Christmas say "Yes, but it was turned into a Christian holiday!" That may have been true in the past, but this secular "Christmas" as we know it, which tries to turn fat men on a sled, dressed-up trees, midgets, etc. as lighthearted fun has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity, or any of its messages.  It's reverted back to a commercialized, secular Samhain Yule.

Fixeded. Grin

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2013, 08:04:40 AM »

People who defend Christmas say "Yes, but it was turned into a Christian holiday!" That may have been true in the past, but this secular "Christmas" as we know it, which tries to turn fat men on a sled, dressed-up trees, midgets, etc. as lighthearted fun has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity, or any of its messages.  It's reverted back to a commercialized, secular Samhain Yule.

Fixeded. Grin

Witty, I prefer on grounds of accuracy, Greedmass. Glad that because of 13 days calendar difference that I avoid it.

(I used to to volunteer to work on 25/12 so that those that did celebrate Yule could be at home with their loved ones. Retired now so it's just another day, albeit fewer vehicles around).
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2013, 08:43:53 AM »

Witty, I prefer on grounds of accuracy, Greedmass. Glad that because of 13 days calendar difference that I avoid it.

(I used to to volunteer to work on 25/12 so that those that did celebrate Yule could be at home with their loved ones. Retired now so it's just another day, albeit fewer vehicles around).

Being Old Calendar in Greece meant missing out on two full weeks of traditional celebrations, including school holidays. I wouldn't even want to try to adapt. The 12 days are the best part of the year. Grin

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2013, 10:04:19 AM »

This made me chuckle:

Santagranddad
OC.net guru

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2013, 10:06:12 AM »

This made me chuckle:

Loved it, absolutely loved it!
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2013, 10:19:03 AM »

This made me chuckle:

English translation?

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2013, 10:22:16 AM »

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2013, 10:28:47 AM »

Is drinking vodka on graves disrespecting to the dead?

Not if they are Russians

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2013, 10:30:54 AM »

English translation?

Pumpkins? We eat them!

Halloween - No, thanks!

Remember your Christian roots:

1st November - All Saints Day.

2nd November - Commemoration of the Departed.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 10:31:35 AM by Romaios » Logged
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2013, 11:38:56 AM »

Miserable weather kept almost everybody at home last evening. We had only fifteen kids showing up at the door - all from the immediate neighbourhood. We usually get about 45.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2013, 11:42:34 AM »

Miserable weather kept almost everybody at home last evening. We had only fifteen kids showing up at the door - all from the immediate neighbourhood. We usually get about 45.

I was disappointed in the turnout as well...your numbers reflect my own.  I have more candy now than I ever managed to collect as a trick-or-treater.  Tongue

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2013, 11:49:32 AM »

I was disappointed in the turnout as well...your numbers reflect my own.  I have more candy now than I ever managed to collect as a trick-or-treater.  Tongue
I, too, saw that silver lining!
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2013, 11:55:53 AM »

I went to Church.. Moleban for St. John of Kronstadt..

Paaaarty !!

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Mrs. Jord

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2013, 12:11:19 PM »

People who defend Halloween say, "Yes, but it was turned into a Christian holiday!"  That may have been true in the past, but this secular "Halloween," as we know it, which tries to turn darkness, "spookiness," "ghouls," etc. as lighthearted fun has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity, or any of its messages.  It's reverted back to a commercialized, secular Samhain.  

People who defend Christmas say "Yes, but it was turned into a Christian holiday!" That may have been true in the past, but this secular "Christmas" as we know it, which tries to turn fat men on a sled, dressed-up trees, midgets, etc. as lighthearted fun has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity, or any of its messages.  It's reverted back to a commercialized, secular Samhain.  

Likening it to Christmas is yet another tired old thing that pro-secular halloween people often do, and it doesn't work.  Not even close.

The underlying theme of secular Halloween is "scariness," darkness, spookiness, ghouls, demons, haunted houses, etc.  The underlying theme of secular Christmas is winter, exchanging material gifts, and having a generally good attitude towards others.  While both are secularized, one of those things is much less objectionable to the Christianity that we will teach our children than the other is.

Thanks for trying.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 12:18:14 PM by Mrs. Jord » Logged
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2013, 12:19:32 PM »

actually it can be argued that spookiness is more amenable to xianity than feelgood-ism.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2013, 12:36:13 PM »

People who defend Christmas say "Yes, but it was turned into a Christian holiday!" That may have been true in the past, but this secular "Christmas" as we know it, which tries to turn fat men on a sled, dressed-up trees, midgets, etc. as lighthearted fun has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity, or any of its messages.  It's reverted back to a commercialized, secular Samhain.  

Likening it to Christmas is yet another tired old thing that pro-secular halloween people often do, and it doesn't work.  Not even close.

The underlying theme of secular Halloween is "scariness," darkness, spookiness, ghouls, demons, haunted houses, etc.  The underlying theme of secular Christmas is winter, exchanging material gifts, and having a generally good attitude towards others.  While both are secularized, one of those things is much less objectionable to the Christianity that we will teach our children than the other is.

Thanks for trying.

A 'good attitude' that makes suicides and domestic violence skyrocket. Hmmm. Nice try.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 12:36:42 PM by Arachne » Logged

Mrs. Jord

« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2013, 12:45:31 PM »

actually it can be argued that spookiness is more amenable to xianity than feelgood-ism.

Yes, but not convincingly so within the context of secular halloween.  Celebrating the theme of darkness, and having children go door-to-door telling people they're going to get a trick if they don't give a treat.  It's done in a light-hearted fashion, but it doesn't change the underlying theme.  People who try to get around it have to do some serious mental gymnastics.

Anyway, there's always at least one person who gets snarky, and defensive when I say I don't want to participate in secular Halloween (I'm not referring to you).  I've heard most of the pro-secular-halloween arguments before, because I used to spurt them out myself when I was younger.  "It's just good, clean fun for the kids,"  "Christmas is the same way for [insert X reason]," "Do you also object to La Dia de los Muertos?" etc.  Most of the time, I think it's because they feel indirectly judged.  People don't like to be told by someone that they're celebrating a holiday that someone else thinks is unfavorable.  Oh well.  If I'm asked why I don't celebrate it, or spend any dollars on it, I'm going to answer honestly.

Mrs. Jord

« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2013, 12:47:53 PM »

A 'good attitude' that makes suicides and domestic violence skyrocket. Hmmm. Nice try.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2013, 12:50:44 PM »

Likening it to Christmas is yet another tired old thing that pro-secular halloween people often do, and it doesn't work.  Not even close.

Pro-secular? Me?

Meh, I think such unnecessary prudishness, both with Halloween and Harry Potter, are pushing people away from Christianity and makes us all look like fools.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2013, 04:43:27 PM »

I don't understand how can any Christian compare Christmas/Nativity with Halloween. Just because some (or even many) celebrate Christmas for all the wrong reasons it does not change the essential importance of Christmas to our very being while we can do without (religiou or secular) Halloween.  If someone wants to have fun on the day of Hallowen so be it, but that's all it is at least nowadays...It is my belief that many people (even thoss who do not care about Halloween nor know about its origin) see it as an outlet, excuse to relax, have fun, do stupid things....pretty much everything that they would be judged for doing on any other day...This last Hallowen I saw a gut dressed like a serial killer with an axe in one hand and a baby in another...
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2013, 05:09:39 PM »

I don't understand how can any Christian compare Sol Invictus feast with All Saints Day...
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2013, 05:14:59 PM »

Why did the ghost go into the elevator?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 05:16:18 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »

To get to the other side.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2013, 08:18:20 PM »

"To the rastas who say 'Babylon? forget her!'
I beg you, remember
A few Jews who went tet-a-tet
With Nebuchadnezzar."

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2013, 08:33:01 PM »

To get to the other side.
To lift his spirits up.

Take that feelgood-ism of Xianity!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2013, 09:58:38 PM »

I don't understand how can any Christian compare Sol Invictus feast with All Saints Day...
Could you please elaborate? Thanks.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: