OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 03:58:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pedophilia- Sexual Orientation?!?  (Read 2108 times) Average Rating: 0
Dpaula
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian w/ Romanian background
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: October 31, 2013, 01:32:13 PM »

Someone with more in depth knowledge must tell me this is not true and I'm misinterpreting the whole thing. Please tell me this is a hoax!

http://www.charismanews.com/us/41571-pedophilia-officially-classified-as-sexual-orientation-by-american-psychology-association

According to the American Family Association, a shocking announcement made by the American Psychiatric Association (APA) in its latest edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders caused an uproar among pro-family organizations and many others, as the APA states it now classifies pedophilia as a sexual orientation or preference instead of a disorder.

Not posting anymore due to the rudeness on this site.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 01:33:57 PM »

It is a hoax.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 01:40:47 PM »

That would be quite disturbing, though, unfortunately, not surprising.  American culture gets more and more sexually deranged.  I hope Michael is right and this is a hoax.  Would be a truly sick, twisted hoax at that.

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 01:51:05 PM »

Misinformation it is.

Here's what it really says.

http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Paraphilic%20Disorders%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

In the case of pedophilic disorder, the notable detail is what wasn’t revised in the new manual. Although proposals were discussed throughout the DSM-5 development process, diagnostic criteria ultimately remained the same as in DSM-IV TR. Only the disorder name will be changed from pedophilia to pedophilic disorder to maintain consistency with the chapter’s other listings.

xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 01:51:49 PM »

Well, it was a 'sexual orientation' in pre-Christian Greece.

"When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered.” -Martin Luther King Jr.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 01:52:24 PM »

Well, it was a 'sexual orientation' in pre-Christian Greece.

Not really. It was bound by strict rules, most cities banned it outright, and everyone was supposed to be married (back in the day marriages were solely between men and women).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 01:53:31 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 01:58:02 PM »

It gets even better. They are blaming their PR firm for the misunderstanding.

http://www.charismanews.com/us/41597-pedophilia-not-classified-as-sexual-orientation-afa-mistaken

The AFA’s Cindy Roberts told Charisma News that its public relations firm, Hamilton Strategies, conducted the initial research on its claim. The PR firm has not responded to our requests for more information.

I'm just happy its' not true!

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »

Totally untrue. And I work in a hospital and reviewed the recent changes to the DSM.

Proverbs 22:7
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 02:01:05 PM »

I see two components to this. To say that it is a sexual orientation may be a truth. However, the practicing of it would be absolutely wrong. Which means that pedophilia is an illness that needs to be treated, not condemned. Legally, pedophilia is a very serious crime against children and society, and is strictly forbidden and punished. Question is what do we mean by a "sexual orientation". Do we mean that it is a personal sexual preference, or do we also imply that it is acceptable? That it is "just" another orientation among "others"?
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 07:11:36 PM »

If it would ever get designated a sexual orientation in America, there would be legal implications.  In the Equal Opportunity 'disclaimer,' (I can't remember what this is actually called) it says you can't discriminate based on many factors--gender, race, nationality, age, etc.

It also now says 'sexual orientation.'  In designating pederasty a sexual orientation, it confers a certain degree of legitimacy, which is why I think everyone would rightfully be up in arms about that.  The legal implication is that if they ever designated pederasty as a sexual orientation, you would now not be allowed to refuse to hire or to rent to a pedophile. 

So they have to register as sex offenders, but you can't refuse them a job or an apartment?  Yeah, this would definitely have to be a hoax, even without checking it out.

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
WPM
St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, Pray for us.
Archon

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 07:29:07 PM »

They're (pedophiles) are classified as sex offenders under criminal law.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 07:48:05 PM »

PA is passing a law banning pregnant belly touching.

I hope they put it under "Pedophilia" for the lulz.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 07:52:12 PM »

I thought this thread was going to be about how groups recruit college students into being pedophiles the way the gays do.

Oh well.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Santagranddad
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 07:52:22 PM »

Read the original post and thought someone had, clinically speaking, flipped their lid.

A more concerning implication in the thread further on is the notion of this perversion becoming viewed as a 'sexual orientation', indeed as another contributor has noted this might carry some difficult legal implications.

Yes, any temptation is not a sin in itself but entertaining it, to phantasise on it or act upon such an impulse would. As to the last Our Saviour's own word's could not be clearer, "Better a millstone be tied round their neck....."

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 07:54:57 PM »

Read the original post and thought someone had, clinically speaking, flipped their lid.

A more concerning implication in the thread further on is the notion of this perversion becoming viewed as a 'sexual orientation', indeed as another contributor has noted this might carry some difficult legal implications.

Yes, any temptation is not a sin in itself but entertaining it, to phantasise on it or act upon such an impulse would. As to the last Our Saviour's own word's could not be clearer, "Better a millstone be tied round their neck....."

You know you set me up for a retort that would certainly get me banned if I said it?

Nice try!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 05:15:30 AM »

Well I guess speaking truthfully it is a sexual orientation if you use the words as it is

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 05:31:31 AM »

According to something else I read about this, it's classified as an orientation if it's not "consumed" and an illness if "the relationship" is "consumed". And, it's an orientation because it cannot be changed through any known means -- that's the definition.

This could mean two things. 1) It's an illness that should not be condemned, but treated; and the practicing of it is strongly denied. 2) It is ok to have the orientation as long as you don't practice it. Not sure which one it's actually the one we are dealing with.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 05:32:53 AM by IoanC » Logged
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 06:24:40 AM »

Apparently it's going to be fixed: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/31/apa-correct-manual-clarification-pedophilia-not-se/
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 06:58:14 AM »

According to something else I read about this, it's classified as an orientation if it's not "consumed" and an illness if "the relationship" is "consumed". And, it's an orientation because it cannot be changed through any known means -- that's the definition.

This could mean two things. 1) It's an illness that should not be condemned, but treated; and the practicing of it is strongly denied. 2) It is ok to have the orientation as long as you don't practice it. Not sure which one it's actually the one we are dealing with.

Actually, it's 'consummated,' not 'consumed.'  'Consumed' would mean eaten or used up, exhausted as a resource.

We can treat those afflicted and still condemn pedophilia.  And we should, imo, because the victim is always a child, and that's an immeasurable amount of fear and psychological damage that's done, each and every time.  It's as though we're afraid to condemn things anymore.  We're not supposed to judge sinners--we're not God.  But we were never supposed to stop judging sin.  
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 06:59:53 AM by newtoorthodoxy » Logged

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 07:09:46 AM »

Actually, it's 'consummated,' not 'consumed.'  'Consumed' would mean eaten or used up, exhausted as a resource.

We can treat those afflicted and still condemn pedophilia.  And we should, imo, because the victim is always a child, and that's an immeasurable amount of fear and psychological damage that's done, each and every time.  It's as though we're afraid to condemn things anymore.  We're not supposed to judge sinners--we're not God.  But we were never supposed to stop judging sin.  

Good observation, my brain glitched and was sort of in Romanian mode when I used "consumed". Yes, pedophilia should be condemned because it is evil and immoral. But we can't expect this of science because it is the job of The Church. Science should just give us the facts and stop producing ideologies and determining what is good and what is evil. But see, science is adrift because it cut itself off from religion, and perhaps in part due to religion ignoring or undermining science.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 07:13:00 AM by IoanC » Logged
Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 07:27:23 AM »

Science should just give us the facts and stop producing ideologies and determining what is good and what is evil.

Awesome point!
+1

Santagranddad
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 07:53:08 AM »

Science should just give us the facts and stop producing ideologies and determining what is good and what is evil.

Awesome point!
+1

+2

This is were what is presented as science is actually philosophy.
xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 09:09:17 AM »

Awesome point!
+1

+2

Science has philosophical assumptions.

"When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered.” -Martin Luther King Jr.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 09:42:29 AM »

Awesome point!
+1

+2

Yet, science has to somehow prove them through scientific means. There is nothing wrong with philosophy, in fact it is very necessary. But, philosophy is largely missing as a valid field nowadays or is mixed together with science so that you don't know which is which. Actually, people can't seem to be able to discern between the two anymore = bad!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 09:43:07 AM by IoanC » Logged
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2013, 09:45:31 AM »

"Just a change in name" - Newspeak at its best.

Some consequences:
Naming someone a pedophile will no longer be an accurate description. Pedophilia is now officially just a curse word. Advocates will respond saying that there is no such a thing as pedophiles, just pedophilics and "adults who engage in intergenerational love are not obsessive or aggressive, therefore no pedophilics". Calling someone a pedophile or a group or congress as advocating pedophilia will be liable to moral abuse trials.

Some of the previous chapters on this long run to legalize pedophilia:

UNICEF claims children have right to confidential sex services
http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/unicef-claims-children-have-right-to-confidential-sex-services

Meet the academics who are trying to redefine pedophilia as ‘intergenerational intimacy’
http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/meet-the-academics-who-are-trying-to-redefine-pedophilia-as-intergeneration

Pedophiles want same rights as homosexuals
http://www.greeleygazette.com/press/?p=11517

Paedophilia: bringing dark desires to light
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/jan/03/paedophilia-bringing-dark-desires-light

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Santagranddad
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2013, 09:46:49 AM »

Awesome point!
+1

+2

Yet, science has to somehow prove them through scientific means. There is nothing wrong with philosophy, in fact it is very necessary. But, philosophy is largely missing as a valid field nowadays or is mixed together with science so that you don't know which is which. Actually, people can't seem to be able to discern between the two anymore = bad!

On your point about the mixing, confusing or transposing of scientific or philosophical concepts, I agree with you.

As to the wicked attempt to confuse and confound our long held abhorrence of adults having sex with children, the term inter-generational love is a pathetic and devious attempt to cover wrong doing. Contemptible.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 09:51:45 AM by Santagranddad » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, 09:58:48 AM »

I agree with IoannC...

because the victim is always a child,

RC bishops here do not agree.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 10:07:27 AM »

"Just a change in name" - Newspeak at its best.

Some consequences:
Naming someone a pedophile will no longer be an accurate description. Pedophilia is now officially just a curse word. Advocates will respond saying that there is no such a thing as pedophiles, just pedophilics and "adults who engage in intergenerational love are not obsessive or aggressive, therefore no pedophilics". Calling someone a pedophile or a group or congress as advocating pedophilia will be liable to moral abuse trials.

Some of the previous chapters on this long run to legalize pedophilia:

UNICEF claims children have right to confidential sex services
http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/unicef-claims-children-have-right-to-confidential-sex-services

Meet the academics who are trying to redefine pedophilia as ‘intergenerational intimacy’
http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/meet-the-academics-who-are-trying-to-redefine-pedophilia-as-intergeneration

Pedophiles want same rights as homosexuals
http://www.greeleygazette.com/press/?p=11517

Paedophilia: bringing dark desires to light
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/jan/03/paedophilia-bringing-dark-desires-light

That's beyond foul.  It's stuff like this that makes me wonder what God's waiting for. 

newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2013, 10:08:09 AM »

I agree with IoannC...

I think I'm confused.  They think when an adult rapes a child, the adult is the victim?

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2013, 10:14:54 AM »

Paedophilia (and its first cousin, ephebophilia) was acceptable practice for many centuries.* What else would you call marrying off underage girls to men old enough to be their grandfathers?

*In some places and cultures, it still is, but our focus here is the Christianised First World.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2013, 10:18:26 AM »

I think I'm confused.  They think when an adult rapes a child, the adult is the victim?

Sort of. I do not understand it either.

http://wyborcza.pl/1,75478,14742202.html

Paedophilia (and its first cousin, ephebophilia) was acceptable practice for many centuries.* What else would you call marrying off underage girls to men old enough to be their grandfathers?

*In some places and cultures, it still is, but our focus here is the Christianised First World.

Define "underage".

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Santagranddad
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2013, 10:20:13 AM »

The power relationships between adult and child are never, ever equal. Sex between an adult and a child is ALWAYS wrong. The term Inter-generational sex is, as has already been pointed out, NewSpeak at it's very worst and most dangerous.

And where were these gems found? In the Guardian.

Underage in my understanding either refers to a legal definition, of being under the age of consent (to sex) or a clumsy way of saying 'child'.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 10:23:58 AM by Santagranddad » Logged
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2013, 10:23:02 AM »

The power relationships between adult and child are never, ever equal. Sex between an adult and a child is ALWAYS wrong. The term Inter-generational sex is, as has already been pointed out, NewSpeak at it's very worst and most dangerous.

And where were these gems found? In the Guardian.

+486

I see stuff more and more that just sends me off the rails.  This issue is just another one.  I wish they had monasteries for women.  Really, we couldn't get much worse if we started running naked in the streets, eating babies. 

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2013, 10:24:06 AM »

Define "underage".

Throughout the Middle Ages, the onset of menstruation definitely marked a girl as marriageable. That, of course, can vary widely between girls and locations (the warmer the climate, the earlier the event comes), but there are plenty of documented cases of 10-12-year-old brides.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2013, 10:25:58 AM »

Define "underage".

Throughout the Middle Ages, the onset of menstruation definitely marked a girl as marriageable. That, of course, can vary widely between girls and locations (the warmer the climate, the earlier the event comes), but there are plenty of documented cases of 10-12-year-old brides.

That's wy calling it pedophilia might be mistaken.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2013, 10:30:01 AM »

Define "underage".

Whatever you call it, giving a grown man a blessing to legally bed a 12-year-old is wrong.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2013, 10:35:03 AM »

Define "underage".

Whatever you call it, giving a grown man a blessing to legally bed a 12-year-old is wrong.

Wrong - probably. Like 60-year-old marrying 25s.

But maybe not evil.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2013, 10:41:29 AM »

+1,000

And if the 12-year-old can't refuse to marry, then there's no 'equal' or consent going on at all.  It's rape.

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2013, 10:47:30 AM »

Define "underage".

Wrong - probably. Like 60-year-old marrying 25s.

But maybe not evil.

I don't know - Morgan Freeman and Anthony Hopkins were 60 when I was 25, and I wouldn't have refused to marry either of them. Wink

Santagranddad
High Elder

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2013, 10:52:59 AM »

+1,000

And if the 12-year-old can't refuse to marry, then there's no 'equal' or consent going on at all.  It's rape.

As the father and grandfather of girls, and having been involved in teams addressing child protection issues I know it is both morally wrong and a great evil with dreadful consequences. In societies were this disparity in age is not uncommon the death of pregnant girls whose bodies are not ready is too frequent and their suffering appalling. It is plainly wrong, as is the bedding of any child, boy or girl, by any adult, male or female. Nor is the emotional and psychological trauma to be underestimated.

Children's childhood is short enough, and they need to be allowed to mature physically and emotionally, as well as intellectually.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2013, 11:37:07 AM »

I agree with IoannC...

dude, what is it with you? You know that married men sexually abuse at a higher rate than priests, right?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2013, 11:44:50 AM »

I agree with IoannC...

dude, what is it with you? You know that married men sexually abuse at a higher rate than priests, right?

Chairman of RC Polish Episcopate Conference said in an interview children drag priests into pedophilia.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2013, 11:51:30 AM »

I agree with IoannC...

Chairman of RC Polish Episcopate Conference said in an interview children drag priests into pedophilia.

Victim-blaming is standard procedure in all kinds of rape. Roll Eyes

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2013, 12:39:36 PM »

I think the age of the youngest side is what matters most. A 25 who wants to have a relationship with a 60-something is a young adult, but an adult already. In that case, I believe, it's more likely the 20-something will hurt the feelings of the 60-something than the other way round.

A 21 with and 11 would be a much smaller gap and still it is obviously an entirely different thing and it's very clear who will hurt who.

I don't know - Morgan Freeman and Anthony Hopkins were 60 when I was 25, and I wouldn't have refused to marry either of them. Wink

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Santagranddad
High Elder

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2013, 01:14:48 PM »

I agree with IoannC...

Any adult that ventures that argument is deeply in denial. All one says to a child crossing a line is, no. The Chairman needs to have a serious period of self examination. Pathetic.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: