OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 11:55:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conversion and Fear  (Read 673 times) Average Rating: 0
John of Patmos
Sinful Newbie

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek (not yet catechumen)

Saint Polycarp, my patron

« on: October 27, 2013, 08:47:43 PM »

So...I attended A local Greek Orthodox Church today.  I felt so great, it felt like Heaven, just like the emissaries of St. Vladimir described Liturgy in Constantinople.  It felt so great to not hear the Filioque!  When I attend Roman Mass, I personally drop the Filioque, but I digress. Anyway I just feel afraid to "jump ship".  I don't want to make "a wrong choice".   

Holy Father John Chrysostom, intercede for me!
That map ialmisry posted just makes me want to play Crusader Kings II.
xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 08:50:46 PM »

You could always situate yourself in a Byzantine Catholic Church before you make the jump.

I figure that personally, since I am Protestant, it doesn't matter if I choose Orthodoxy or Catholicism seeing as I am neither, and in both cases outside of the Church.

However, I don't think I'll choose Catholicism. The Filioque is the real issue. Was it part of the Apostolic Deposit from the beginning or not? I am not convinced that it is.

You have to convince yourself on what Church is 'the Catholic Church'.

"In the Catholic Church itself, all possible care must be taken, that we hold that faith which has been believed everywhere, always, by all. For that is truly and in the strictest sense “Catholic,” which, as the name itself and the reason of the thing declare, comprehends all universally. This rule we shall observe if we follow universality, antiquity, consent. We shall follow universality if we confess that one faith to be true, which the whole Church throughout the world confesses; antiquity, if we in no wise depart from those interpretations which it is manifest were notoriously held by our holy ancestors and fathers... he is the true and genuine Catholic who loves the truth of God, who loves the Church, who loves the Body of Christ, who esteems divine religion and the Catholic Faith above every thing, above the authority, above the regard, above the genius, above the eloquence, above the philosophy, of every man whatsoever; who sets light by all of these, and continuing steadfast and established in the faith, resolves that he will believe that, and that only, which he is sure the Catholic Church has held universally and from ancient time; but that whatsoever new and unheard-of doctrine he shall find to have been furtively introduced by some one or another, besides that of all, or contrary to that of all the saints, this, he will under, stand, does not pertain to religion... it is incumbent on all Catholics who are anxious to approve themselves genuine sons of Mother Church, to adhere henceforward to the holy faith of the holy Fathers, to be wedded to it, to die in it." (St. Vincent of Lerins)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 09:14:35 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

“We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.” (Chris Hedges)
orthodox4life

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 01:53:04 PM »

So...I attended A local Greek Orthodox Church today.  I felt so great, it felt like Heaven, just like the emissaries of St. Vladimir described Liturgy in Constantinople.  It felt so great to not hear the Filioque!  When I attend Roman Mass, I personally drop the Filioque, but I digress. Anyway I just feel afraid to "jump ship".  I don't want to make "a wrong choice".   

Its natural to have some fear as I did when I was considering conversion. Know that you're not under any time constraints. Take your time in learning about the Faith and there are plenty of people here who can answer any questions or concerns you may have.

May God bless you in your search...

The true Orthodox way of thought has always been historical, has always included the past, but has never been enslaved by it. . . for the strength of the Church is not in the past, present, or future, but in Christ.

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 03:01:08 PM »

there is no rush.
i inquired for 2 years, was actively trying to be orthodox for 1 year and have been orthodox for 5 years  Smiley
after i left protestant Christianity, so many people asked me so many questions so many times about what i had done,
that i was really glad i spent so long preparing all the answers!

maybe it won't take you so long, but give it time and remember this is all about knowing and loving God more.
God is the same, but your relationship with Him will become deeper on your spiritual journey.
keep your loved ones informed what is going on.
many have posted on this website that they didn't do that, and that made things much harder later.
so get over any negative reactions here at the beginning, and if necessary, slow down a bit for your family.

when you have tasted heaven, you feel like you must jump in at once, but actually a relationship with God is formed through
many different experiences which increase your patience and your love. this really is heaven.
waiting is good for the soul, wait till you are ready, then jump!
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 03:02:20 PM »

You could always situate yourself in a Byzantine Catholic Church before you make the jump.

I figure that personally, since I am Protestant, it doesn't matter if I choose Orthodoxy or Catholicism seeing as I am neither, and in both cases outside of the Church.

However, I don't think I'll choose Catholicism. The Filioque is the real issue. Was it part of the Apostolic Deposit from the beginning or not? I am not convinced that it is.

"In the Catholic Church itself, all possible care must be taken, that we hold that faith which has been believed everywhere, always, by all. For that is truly and in the strictest sense “Catholic,” which, as the name itself and the reason of the thing declare, comprehends all universally. This rule we shall observe if we follow universality, antiquity, consent. We shall follow universality if we confess that one faith to be true, which the whole Church throughout the world confesses; antiquity, if we in no wise depart from those interpretations which it is manifest were notoriously held by our holy ancestors and fathers... he is the true and genuine Catholic who loves the truth of God, who loves the Church, who loves the Body of Christ, who esteems divine religion and the Catholic Faith above every thing, above the authority, above the regard, above the genius, above the eloquence, above the philosophy, of every man whatsoever; who sets light by all of these, and continuing steadfast and established in the faith, resolves that he will believe that, and that only, which he is sure the Catholic Church has held universally and from ancient time; but that whatsoever new and unheard-of doctrine he shall find to have been furtively introduced by some one or another, besides that of all, or contrary to that of all the saints, this, he will under, stand, does not pertain to religion... it is incumbent on all Catholics who are anxious to approve themselves genuine sons of Mother Church, to adhere henceforward to the holy faith of the holy Fathers, to be wedded to it, to die in it." (St. Vincent of Lerins)

Umm... What?

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
John of Patmos
Sinful Newbie

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 05:33:54 PM »

there is no rush.
i inquired for 2 years, was actively trying to be orthodox for 1 year and have been orthodox for 5 years  Smiley
after i left protestant Christianity, so many people asked me so many questions so many times about what i had done,
that i was really glad i spent so long preparing all the answers!

maybe it won't take you so long, but give it time and remember this is all about knowing and loving God more.
God is the same, but your relationship with Him will become deeper on your spiritual journey.
keep your loved ones informed what is going on.
many have posted on this website that they didn't do that, and that made things much harder later.
so get over any negative reactions here at the beginning, and if necessary, slow down a bit for your family.

when you have tasted heaven, you feel like you must jump in at once, but actually a relationship with God is formed through
many different experiences which increase your patience and your love. this really is heaven.
waiting is good for the soul, wait till you are ready, then jump!
Yeah, that's what one of my friends said, no need to rush this...

xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 06:09:42 PM »

Umm... What?

Typed too much? Yeah, I thought that might be a problem... Oops.  Embarrassed

“We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.” (Chris Hedges)
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 07:33:10 PM »

Umm... What?

No, it's the content I find troubling. Why would you advise someone to settle for an imitation when they can have the real thing?

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 09:37:19 AM »

It's kind of a delicate balance, isn't it? I mean, you don't want to rush in - you're going to be in it for the long haul, after all. But also you don't want to give yourself permission to dither around. At some point, you have to fish or cut bait, and just close your eyes and step out in faith. I'm sure the timing is different for everyone.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 11:17:45 AM »

It's kind of a delicate balance, isn't it? I mean, you don't want to rush in - you're going to be in it for the long haul, after all. But also you don't want to give yourself permission to dither around. At some point, you have to fish or cut bait, and just close your eyes and step out in faith. I'm sure the timing is different for everyone.

This!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
John of Patmos
Sinful Newbie

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 08:56:21 PM »

Well, I've talked to a good friend of mine, and I think I'm going to go through with it.  Mark of Ephesus, pray for me!

xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 09:54:09 PM »

Umm... What?

No, it's the content I find troubling. Why would you advise someone to settle for an imitation when they can have the real thing?

In Christ,
Andrew

Oh, I see. Well, it was just a temporary suggestion.

Putnik Namernik
Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 10:38:08 PM »

Well, I've talked to a good friend of mine, and I think I'm going to go through with it.  Mark of Ephesus, pray for me!
May his prayers be with you in guiding you every stepbof your life.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 11:58:04 PM »

Congratulations, on your decision, but be prepared the timing is not solely up to you and it still may be awhile.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: