Author Topic: ITT: We post maps  (Read 86327 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: ITT: We post maps
« Reply #630 on: August 28, 2018, 10:59:44 PM »
And then we'll visit the green bellies together.  :angel:
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Online Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • A well-sexed theologian
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #631 on: August 28, 2018, 11:07:26 PM »

When is the best time for visiting Green Bellies?
This post gave me autism.

Since when has a Hierarch done anything for you? . . .

Apparently you can get the Juice or Power from a certain Icon.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #632 on: August 28, 2018, 11:27:54 PM »
When is the best time for visiting Green Bellies?
The whole year is.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #633 on: September 14, 2018, 08:33:51 PM »

"The British mainland was formed from the collision of not two, but three ancient continental land masses, according to new research.

Scientists have for centuries believed that England, Wales and Scotland were created by the merger of Avalonia and Laurentia more than 400 million years ago.

However, geologists based at the University of Plymouth now believe that a third land mass -- Armorica -- was also involved in the process."
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #634 on: October 02, 2018, 06:53:24 PM »
I was in the only Finnish Brazilian city countrywide this weekend, btw. You can click on the map and it gets huge.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 06:55:03 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #635 on: October 02, 2018, 06:59:44 PM »

"The British mainland was formed from the collision of not two, but three ancient continental land masses, according to new research.

Scientists have for centuries believed that England, Wales and Scotland were created by the merger of Avalonia and Laurentia more than 400 million years ago.

However, geologists based at the University of Plymouth now believe that a third land mass -- Armorica -- was also involved in the process."
Has the MP claimed that it seperated from Russia before that?

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
« Reply #636 on: December 25, 2018, 01:13:03 PM »

(Click to expand)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 01:16:23 PM by Apostolos »
Ἦχος Πρῶτος

Τέχνη μελουργός, σούς ἀγασθεῖσα κρότους
Πρώτην νέμει σοὶ τάξιν, ὦ τῆς ἀξίας
Ἦχος ὁ πρῶτος μουσική κληθείς τέχνη
Πρῶτος παρ'ἡμῶν εὐλογείσθω τοῖς λόγοις.
Τὰ πρῶτα πρῶτε τῶν καλῶν λαχῶν φέρεις
Πρωτεῖα νίκης πανταχοῦ πάντων ἔχεις.

Offline Rhinosaur

• Homo Vivius
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #637 on: December 28, 2018, 11:46:11 PM »
Map of Phobos from the first Doom game:

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 11:46:28 PM by Rhinosaur »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #638 on: February 20, 2019, 06:58:31 PM »
Mascots of the police commands of the województwa (provinces) in Poland

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #639 on: February 20, 2019, 07:01:12 PM »
That's cute.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #640 on: March 02, 2019, 12:32:19 AM »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #641 on: March 09, 2019, 12:42:16 AM »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #642 on: April 21, 2019, 08:37:59 AM »

'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline reclusivus

• moronissimus
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch and All the East
« Reply #643 on: April 21, 2019, 01:18:53 PM »
Map of Phobos from the first Doom game:

Nice, I have a few like this for later...
ΕυλÃÄ

"Pleasure is very seldom found where it is sought. Our brightest blazes of gladness are commonly kindled by unexpected sparks..." ~ Samuel Johnson

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #644 on: April 21, 2019, 05:43:06 PM »

"Cushite" is not a language though, it's a language family.

In terms of Alaska, I'm going to guess they mean Beja since there's a fair amount of Sudanese in Anchorage. Though I would think that Bari or Dinka (Nilotic languages) or Fur (it's own family along with Amdang) would be more likely if they're from South Sudan.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 05:45:22 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #645 on: April 22, 2019, 11:33:53 PM »
Navajo in Hawaii?  :o  I guess you guys count Native Hawaiians to be Polynesians rather than Native Americans?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #646 on: April 23, 2019, 12:37:33 AM »
Navajo in Hawaii?  :o  I guess you guys count Native Hawaiians to be Polynesians rather than Native Americans?

Yeah.

Yupiks are not usually called Native Americans either, come to think of it, but just "Alaska Natives," or occasionally and not without controversy "Eskimos." I think Tlingit is the most widely spoken "Native American" language in Alaska (though still on life support).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 12:38:51 AM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #647 on: April 23, 2019, 12:46:23 AM »
Maybe so if you use intrinsic factors to separate language. But personally I like to identify languages like they are identified by speakers, which leads me to consider Inuit and Yupik one language each, and Serbo-Croatian a bunch of languages.

Offline reclusivus

• moronissimus
« Reply #648 on: April 23, 2019, 12:48:57 AM »
Maybe so if you use intrinsic factors to separate language. But personally I like to identify languages like they are identified by speakers, which leads me to consider Inuit and Yupik one language each, and Serbo-Croatian a bunch of languages.

Do you consider Scots a language or dialect then ?
ΕυλÃÄ

"Pleasure is very seldom found where it is sought. Our brightest blazes of gladness are commonly kindled by unexpected sparks..." ~ Samuel Johnson

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #649 on: April 23, 2019, 12:50:19 AM »
Language. But I understand intrinsic criteria and I do find them valuable. By them, some dialects of English in their purest form are much closer to Scots than to standard English, and considering Serbo-Croating more than one language or Inuit a single one doesn't make any sense.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #650 on: April 23, 2019, 10:00:40 AM »
Not sure if this was posted already:

“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline reclusivus

• moronissimus
« Reply #651 on: April 23, 2019, 02:08:41 PM »
Not sure if this was posted already:

I would love to see this combined with a religious map! non-Indo-European Orthodoxy is fascinating
ΕυλÃÄ

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #652 on: April 23, 2019, 02:49:16 PM »
Among those Indo-Europeans marked, all are Orthodox apart from Kurds (I believe those in the Caucasus follow Yezidism) and the Talysh (Muslims). The Kalmyks are mostly Buddhist, representing the only traditionally Buddhist population in Europe. The Turks are all predominantly Muslim. The native Caucasian peoples are pretty mixed, but most are definitely Orthodox.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #653 on: April 23, 2019, 03:02:47 PM »
There are historically Orthodox Turkish groups- off the top of my head, Chuvash and Gagauz, Bulgars too if you consider them to still exist as such. But they are not in this Caucasus region in significant numbers.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline reclusivus

• moronissimus
« Reply #654 on: April 23, 2019, 03:13:22 PM »
Among those Indo-Europeans marked, all are Orthodox apart from Kurds (I believe those in the Caucasus follow Yezidism) and the Talysh (Muslims). The Kalmyks are mostly Buddhist, representing the only traditionally Buddhist population in Europe. The Turks are all predominantly Muslim. The native Caucasian peoples are pretty mixed, but most are definitely Orthodox.

It's a shame the only predominantly Orthodox/Christian Turkic nation I know of is the Gagauz! Vowel harmony of their languages would be perfect with tonal chants I think.

Wait do Siberian tribes who are part of the Russian Patriarchate count? Am I missing anyone ?
ΕυλÃÄ

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #655 on: April 23, 2019, 03:25:09 PM »
There are historically Orthodox Turkish groups- off the top of my head, Chuvash and Gagauz, Bulgars too if you consider them to still exist as such. But they are not in this Caucasus region in significant numbers.
Yeah, it's what I mean, but I don't get what you mean by Bulgars: Bulgarians or Chuvash? Many Volga Tatars are Orthodox too, some assuming the inherently Christian "Kereshen" or "Nagaybak" identities. Many Russians themselves are basically russified Tatars, but don't tell this to them.

Wait do Siberian tribes who are part of the Russian Patriarchate count? Am I missing anyone ?
I was just talking about the Caucasus here, so no they don't.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #656 on: April 23, 2019, 03:27:15 PM »
Finnish is also a vowel harmony language, you might look for some chants in that. Turkish as well.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #657 on: April 23, 2019, 04:00:33 PM »
Yeah, it's what I mean, but I don't get what you mean by Bulgars: Bulgarians or Chuvash?.

I was thinking primarily of the Bulgars who became Bulgarians, but sure, Volga Tatars too. As far as I know these groups don't typically refer to themselves as Bulgars but I could be wrong.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #658 on: June 16, 2019, 06:24:18 PM »
,,,mistake'''
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 06:25:05 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #659 on: June 16, 2019, 06:44:38 PM »

Screw Puerto Rico (Rich Port), once named after St. John the Baptist!
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #660 on: June 25, 2019, 06:52:04 AM »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
« Reply #661 on: June 26, 2019, 06:45:09 AM »

Screw Puerto Rico (Rich Port), once named after St. John the Baptist!
Hmm, let me give an alternative etymology for the origin of the names of Spain and Greece.

The pseudepigraphic "Plutarchs' About Rivers, Mountains and things found in them" (book 16: Nile), reads about the origin of the name of Spain:

Ζεὺς δι' ἐρωτικὴν ἐπιθυμίαν ἐκ Λύκτου πόλεως Κρητικῆς Ἄργην νύμφην ἁρπάσας ἀπήνεγκεν εἰς ὄρος τῆς Αἰγύπτου, Ἄργιλλον καλούμενον· καὶ ἐγέννησεν ἐξ αὐτῆς υἱὸν, καλούμενον Διόνυσον· ὃς ἀκμάσας εἰς τιμὴν τῆς μητρὸς τὸν λόφον Ἄργιλλον μετωνόμασεν· στρατολογήσας δὲ Πᾶνας καὶ Σατύρους [τοῖς] ἰδίοις σκήπτροις Ἰνδοὺς ὑπέταξεν· νικήσας δὲ καὶ Ἰβηρίαν, Πᾶνα κατέλιπεν ἐπιμελητὴν τῶν τόπων, ὃς τὴν χώραν ἀπ' αὐτοῦ Πανίαν μετωνόμασεν· ἣν οἱ μεταγενέστεροι παραγώγως Σπανίαν προσηγόρευσαν.

Zeus, through an erotic yearning, having abducted the nymph Arge from Lyctus, a Cretan city, carried her off to a mountain of Egypt called Argillus. He produced from her a son called Dionysus, who, when he had grown, in honour of his mother renamed the crest Argillus. When he had mustered pans and satyrs, he subjugated India, and, having conquered Iberia too, he left Pan behind as overseer of the regions. From him, he renamed the territory Pania, which the later generations by a slight change named Spania (Spain).

The etymology of Ἑλλάς-Hellas is uncertain, yet it seems it's a compound of the feminine ἕλᾱ (warmth, heat of the sun) which points to the Proto-Indo-European root *swel- (to shine, warm, smoulder, burn, scorch with cognate the Eng. sweal), plus the masculine λᾶας (Doric λᾶς), which is the stone. Whence Hellas means "scorched rock" (which describes perfectly the mountainous Greek terrain and the hot & dry Greek summers).
Ἦχος Πρῶτος

Τέχνη μελουργός, σούς ἀγασθεῖσα κρότους
Πρώτην νέμει σοὶ τάξιν, ὦ τῆς ἀξίας
Ἦχος ὁ πρῶτος μουσική κληθείς τέχνη
Πρῶτος παρ'ἡμῶν εὐλογείσθω τοῖς λόγοις.
Τὰ πρῶτα πρῶτε τῶν καλῶν λαχῶν φέρεις
Πρωτεῖα νίκης πανταχοῦ πάντων ἔχεις.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #662 on: June 26, 2019, 10:12:07 AM »
There's the alternative etymology that Brazil comes from Uí Breasail ("sons of Breasal"), name of an Irish clan and a mythological island, written in English as "Hy Brasil".