OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 11:44:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this quote genuine?  (Read 675 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« on: July 11, 2013, 05:00:52 PM »

I came upon this quote, supposedly, by St Athanasium the Great, but I'm not sure if it's genuine. I have encountered fake patristic quotes before and would like to be sure.

We, the faithful, do not worship the icons as gods. By no means as the pagans, rather we are simply expressing our relation to, and the feeling of our love toward, the person whose image is depicted in the icon. Hence, frequently when the image has faded, we burn it in fire, then as plain wood, that which previously was an icon. Just as Jacob, when dying, bowed in worship over the head of the staff of Joseph [cf. Heb. 11:21] not honoring the staff, but him to whom it belonged, in the same manner the faithful, for no other reason, venerate [kiss] the icons, just as we often kiss our children, so that we may plainly express the affection [we feel] in our soul. For it is just as the Jew once worshipped the tablets of the Law and the two golden sculptured Cherubims not to honor the nature of the stone and gold, but the Lord who had given them. (39th Question to Antiochos, PG 94.1365.)

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 07:46:01 PM »

What makes you think this quote might not be genuine? (I'm not being snarky here, I'd just like to know)
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »

What makes you think this quote might not be genuine? (I'm not being snarky here, I'd just like to know)

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 08:41:31 PM »

I could be wrong here, as I didn't do a really detailed search, but a quick look on google brought up four references/quotes of it, all by the same website/blog. It's certainly possible that something not in the popular collections floating around might not have a lot of quotes around the net, but anyway, there it is, if it's so...
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »

I don't know for sure. I don't recall St. Athanasius having much to say about icons, but St. John of Damascus did, and the portion you quoted sounds very similar to some of his comments about them. I wonder if the place you got the quote from misattributed it to St. Athanasius?
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 01:43:36 AM »

A mere suspicion. I once found another quote, concerning icons, supposedly from St Basil the Great, but when I asked about it, I was told that it was a later forgery.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 01:45:19 AM »

I don't know for sure. I don't recall St. Athanasius having much to say about icons, but St. John of Damascus did, and the portion you quoted sounds very similar to some of his comments about them. I wonder if the place you got the quote from misattributed it to St. Athanasius?

You can see the website here:

http://classicalchristianity.com/category/iconography/

-St Silouan the athonite
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 05:02:15 AM »

It is quoted by St. John Damascene in his Third Oration on the Holy Images. The quote is from St. Athanasius' Doctrina ad Antiochum ducem. Nowadays this work is regarded as spurious. You can find it here.

If you can read French, this is an interesting essay about the Doctrina and question 39 specifically.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 05:21:30 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
Luka

Jurisdiction: Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 05:42:59 AM »

"PG 94.1365" included in the quote indicates the source: Patrologia Graeca, volume 94 and this volume contains St. John Damascene's works - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrologia_Graeca
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 05:45:50 AM »

"PG 94.1365" included in the quote indicates the source: Patrologia Graeca, volume 94 and this volume contains St. John Damascene's works - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrologia_Graeca

Indeed. When you go to page 1365, however, you'll see that it is part of St. John's patristic florilegium to prove that the veneration of icons is okay. One of the quotes on page 1365 is Pseudo-Athanasius' question 39 which refers back to the Doctrina ad Antiochum ducem
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 07:36:54 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 09:37:49 AM »

So, in other words, it shouldn't be considered a valid evidense for early veneration?

-St Silouan the athonite
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 09:46:09 AM »

So, in other words, it shouldn't be considered a valid evidense for early veneration?

That's one way to put it. This Pseudo-Athanasius lived in the 7th century.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:02:44 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 11:13:59 AM »

What about the tradtion of St. Luke the iconographer, is it valid? There is possible linkage to this in Colossians since St. Paul mentions the Lord Jesus Christ as the icon of the living God (Col. 1:15) & St. Luke is mentioned as a fellow traveling disciple in St. Paul's company (Col. 4:14).

Antiochian OC N.A.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 11:24:24 AM »

What about the tradtion of St. Luke the iconographer, is it valid?

I don't know. I wasn't there.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 11:26:57 AM »

What about the tradtion of St. Luke the iconographer, is it valid? There is possible linkage to this in Colossians since St. Paul mentions the Lord Jesus Christ as the icon of the living God (Col. 1:15) & St. Luke is mentioned as a fellow traveling disciple in St. Paul's company (Col. 4:14).

Every reference to this in the Fathers that I can remember take it in a theological or anthropological sense, ie. that Christ is the image of God, therefore man is the image of the image, etc., not in a iconographical sense.
Luka

Jurisdiction: Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 01:26:43 PM »

Indeed. When you go to page 1365, however, you'll see that it is part of St. John's patristic florilegium to prove that the veneration of icons is okay. One of the quotes on page 1365 is Pseudo-Athanasius' question 39 which refers back to the Doctrina ad Antiochum ducem
Thanks for clarification. I wanted only to notice that the quote in itself contained a clue Smiley
Who knows? Some make conjectures that there are icons of Theotokos ascribed to him which follow styles of painting popular in the first century in Antioch and Alexandria. They connect it with a supposition that Luke as a physician would have learned his profession in Alexandria, but in general he was working in Antioch and he gave us probably first hand relation about Jesus' infancy from the Mother of God in his Gospel. Combining all those guesses makes him a nice candidate for the author of at least some prototype of our iconography.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 01:34:19 PM »

What about the tradtion of St. Luke the iconographer, is it valid?

I don't know. I wasn't there.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Incognito777
Warned
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 10:30:57 PM »

Moderator, why did you move this thread when it was put in the free for all?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 10:31:59 PM »

Moderator, why did you move this thread when it was put in the free for all?

Because people are not allowed to post there. See this thread.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:32:19 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: