OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 04:54:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Customs for Feast of Ss. Peter and Paul  (Read 334 times) Average Rating: 0
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« on: July 11, 2013, 03:33:32 PM »

At my church we will conclude the Apostle's Fast by celebrating the Feast Day of St. Peter and Paul tomorrow. In the years that I have been Orthodox, I do not know much about this feast as it isn't one of the major feasts and it does not seem to get too much attention (at least in my parish). For the first time we will be celebrating it with a liturgy tomorrow morning. I am interested in learning what customs you have at your churches for this feast or how people in majority Orthodox countries celebrate. Surely there are some traditions out there for this holy day as the Church saw fit to include a period of fasting before the feast. Thank you all for your help!

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 03:48:16 PM »

Tomorrow? And you are under Bulgaria? Am I missing something?
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 04:07:50 PM »

Are you under the old calendar?
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 04:13:15 PM »

it isn't one of the major feasts and it does not seem to get too much attention (at least in my parish).

Actually, after 12 Great Feasts, it's probably the biggest one (not counting Lazarus Saturday + Holy Week), as it's preceded by fast.

In Serbia this feast is called Petrovdan (the day of st. Peter) and of course it's important to break the fast (a dinner, dancing). But there is an interesting habit called "lilanje" done during the vigil - people, especially children, take some prepared long sticks, and put at the end of it some pieces of birch-tree or another one and set fire to this ending, and singing some special songs and waving these burning sticks, they wander through the surroundings. Once I've participated in it, but I have no idea, what does symbolize it.

Added: Once I've been for this feast in Egypt and children in church (Coptic) received some gifts, maybe for the end of the fast?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 04:28:20 PM by Dominika » Logged

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 04:16:43 PM »

I like to eat Italian food on this feast.  Wink

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 10:35:04 PM »

Tomorrow? And you are under Bulgaria? Am I missing something?
Yes sir, I think you are. Smiley As I have explained before, our parish is a bit abnormal. My priest came into Met. Joseph's care after having been received with a group who unbeknownst to them was under a rogue Greek bishop. We, like most Bulgarian parishes in the US, are on the Julian Calendar. Met. Joseph celebrates many feasts on the Julian from my estimations.

I guess what I am wondering is if there are special cultural customs associated with the feast to make it more tangible, like what Dominika pointed out.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 11:32:44 PM »

I guess what I am wondering is if there are special cultural customs associated with the feast to make it more tangible, like what Dominika pointed out.
even if there are,  do you imagine those can be transplanted in urban American of the 21st century? Give it some time and if Orthodoxy will ever reach to a more significant number of people than it does now, some new customs might arise. Although, as Mor Ephrem said, those will prob. be more along the lines of eating out Italian or something like that than carrying sticks around as in Dominika's example.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: