OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 09:40:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patriarch Ilia II calls for ban on "gay rights march" "Gay-Rights Rally"  (Read 5795 times) Average Rating: 0
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2013, 04:42:44 AM »

What if the Georgians democratically decide that they don't want gay parades in Georgia?  

If I was a Georgian I'd vote against it but this sure does sound a lot better idea than an angry violent mob taking justice into their own hands.

Perhaps their elected representatives leave them no choice but to express their will in this manner.

No. Violence against minorities is never right even if we happen to disagree with said minorities.

It has nothing to do with being in a minority status.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2013, 04:44:00 AM »

^Uhm...Corrupt West? Like Holy Mother Russia wasn't a lot more corrupted than any Western country.

Well, let me put it this way: Mr. Putin attends more Orthodox services than Mr. Obama does.

While I'm not exactly a friend of American politics either but I value various freedoms and democracy more than state acting as a religious police.

What if the Georgians democratically decide that they don't want gay parades in Georgia? 

What bothers me is that the people are never consulted on such issues. Before they are elected, (Eastern-European) politicians pose as pious and have discourses that reflect popular consensus on different issues - once voted, however, they seem to completely alter their agendas and ignore the will of those whom they are supposed to represent.

Same thing in America.
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2013, 04:44:20 AM »

No. Violence against minorities is never right even if we happen to disagree with said minorities.

I agree. That is exactly why the Georgian authorities should have thought twice before authorizing the gay parade.  
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2013, 06:28:38 AM »

There's always going to be hooliganism. People who have not taken the Gospel to heart will not act according to the Gospel. They are usually a very small minority and are not blessed by the hierarchy.

Wouldn't say they are small. And they are blessed sometimes:
http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/world-news/detail/articolo/russia-rusia-putin-19522/
http://www.businessinsider.com/golden-dawn-and-the-greek-orthodox-church-2012-10

You're Orthodox, right?  Why do you protest against sins like that?  Or do you admit to over-generalizing?

I do not protest. And I am not overgeneralizing since all anti-gay protests by patriotic Orthodox youth end up like that.

I may not condone the violent methods, but I can understand the people's desire to preserve their nation and uphold moral, and dare I say Orthodox, morals and ethics in their country.

Is fighting with the police or throwing rocks at gay parades a part of "Orthodox morals and ethics"? I do not want to be a part of it.

Well, let me put it this way: Mr. Putin attends more Orthodox services than Mr. Obama does.

He doesn't bring any of his mistresses, though.

No, it isn't.  Your "real world" doesn't exist.  You sure have a low opinion of Orthodox Christians who don't cater to your sensibilities.  Funny how everyone attacks Christians for this, yet remain silent when others employ the very same tactics.  Violent protest is disgusting, but it isn’t the only thing…

High time you left your convert kindergarten. If you dream about society with traditional Orthodox values, that' how it looks like.

It is. They were not protesting against eg. sex-selective abortion that is very popular there.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2013, 06:29:32 AM »

I understand why they protested, but it is sad if violence was used to make it be an effective rally.
As it is an issue that should be protested against.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2013, 06:38:00 AM »

There's always going to be hooliganism. People who have not taken the Gospel to heart will not act according to the Gospel. They are usually a very small minority and are not blessed by the hierarchy.

Wouldn't say they are small. And they are blessed sometimes:
http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/world-news/detail/articolo/russia-rusia-putin-19522/
http://www.businessinsider.com/golden-dawn-and-the-greek-orthodox-church-2012-10

You're Orthodox, right?  Why do you protest against sins like that?  Or do you admit to over-generalizing?

I do not protest. And I am not overgeneralizing since all anti-gay protests by patriotic Orthodox youth end up like that.

I may not condone the violent methods, but I can understand the people's desire to preserve their nation and uphold moral, and dare I say Orthodox, morals and ethics in their country.

Is fighting with the police or throwing rocks at gay parades a part of "Orthodox morals and ethics"? I do not want to be a part of it.

He doesn't bring any of his mistresses, though.

No, it isn't.  Your "real world" doesn't exist.  You sure have a low opinion of Orthodox Christians who don't cater to your sensibilities.  Funny how everyone attacks Christians for this, yet remain silent when others employ the very same tactics.  Violent protest is disgusting, but it isn’t the only thing…

High time you left your convert kindergarten. If you dream about society with traditional Orthodox values, that' how it looks like.

It is. They were not protesting against eg. sex-selective abortion that is very popular there.
Kindergarten?  As if you have any room to say such things. And apparently it isn't what you say or everyone would be in agreement.  Think a little harder no matter how difficult it may be.  If your "vast" experience in Orthodoxy is so spot on, why are your statements so often in conflict with those who have been Orthodox longer.   Be careful, your bias is showing.

The last portion of your post is irrelevant, as seems to be the norm for you as of late.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2013, 06:46:59 AM »

I understand why they protested, but it is sad if violence was used to make it be an effective rally.
As it is an issue that should be protested against.
Agreed.  Violence is always a last option if at all possible and Christians the world over should be opposing such nonsense and sins rather than embrace them and make excuses for their exceptance.  I long for the time when Christians will stand for Christ without fear, with boldness.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2013, 09:03:12 AM »

^Uhm...Corrupt West? Like Holy Mother Russia wasn't a lot more corrupted than any Western country.

A TOTAL non-sequitur. Putin purportedly is Orthodox and he and his allies have cunningly used the Church as the glue to sustain their nationalist agenda. Obama is not Orthodox and his country is far more multi religious than Putin's in terms of their being one overwhelmingly dominant Faith.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2013, 09:04:35 AM »

While I'm not exactly a friend of American politics either but I value various freedoms and democracy more than state acting as a religious police.

What bothers me is that the people are never consulted on such issues. Before they are elected, (Eastern-European) politicians pose as pious and have discourses that reflect popular consensus on different issues - once voted, however, they seem to completely alter their agendas and ignore the will of those whom they are supposed to represent.

Oh, like the American south "democratically" disenfranchised and segregated blacks.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2013, 09:11:51 AM »

Why so surprised?

:(Watched the news on RT today and witnessed the violent and unedifying blockading of a so-called 'Gay Pride' parade. The news strip running below the news pictures had 'Christians block Gay Pride march'. The newsreader spoke of protestors lead by Orthodox Christian priests. What I saw extremely violent attacks on vehicles presumably trying to get the Pride marchers away in a minibus with broken windows and a screaming mob trying to knock seven barrels of .... out of whatever they could lay their fists on.

I have seen 'Gay Pride' marches before and found the over the top behaviour and outfits difficult to stomach, but this protest would best described as deeply shameful and mob violence rather than a protest by Christians.

Church Militant didn't even begin to describe it.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2013, 09:21:48 AM »

You are mostly missing Michal's point. Metropolitan Hilarion of the MP wrote a blogpost several years ago about the fragility of Orthodoxy in pre-Revolutionary Russia and his fear about the possible course of the future of its post communist revival. I couldn't find the original link, it was a thread years ago, but I found this excerpt, relevant here:

"(Metropolitan Hilarion) warns against a type of reactionary Orthodoxy that I see all too much of in the news:

The second danger is that. of militant Orthodoxy, which would be a post-atheist counterpart of militant atheism. I mean an Orthodoxy that fights against Jews, against masons, against democracy, against Western culture, against enlightenment. This type of Orthodoxy is being preached even by some key members of the hierarchy, and it has many supporters within the Church."

http://livingtext.wordpress.com/category/orthodoxy/
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2013, 09:24:07 AM »

Why so surprised?

:(Watched the news on RT today and witnessed the violent and unedifying blockading of a so-called 'Gay Pride' parade. The news strip running below the news pictures had 'Christians block Gay Pride march'. The newsreader spoke of protestors lead by Orthodox Christian priests. What I saw extremely violent attacks on vehicles presumably trying to get the Pride marchers away in a minibus with broken windows and a screaming mob trying to knock seven barrels of .... out of whatever they could lay their fists on.

I have seen 'Gay Pride' marches before and found the over the top behaviour and outfits difficult to stomach, but this protest would best described as deeply shameful and mob violence rather than a protest by Christians.

Church Militant didn't even begin to describe it.

You mean, they act just like the Orthodox Christians in Egypt and Syria (and other places where they are killed indiscriminately) who do this sort of thing? Roll Eyes  Seriously, Michael, pay attention and stop making obtuse statements.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2013, 09:32:28 AM »

You are mostly missing Michal's point. Metropolitan Hilarion of the MP wrote a blogpost several years ago about the fragility of Orthodoxy in pre-Revolutionary Russia and his fear about the possible course of the future of its post communist revival. I couldn't find the original link, it was a thread years ago, but I found this excerpt, relevant here:

"(Metropolitan Hilarion) warns against a type of reactionary Orthodoxy that I see all too much of in the news:

The second danger is that. of militant Orthodoxy, which would be a post-atheist counterpart of militant atheism. I mean an Orthodoxy that fights against Jews, against masons, against democracy, against Western culture, against enlightenment. This type of Orthodoxy is being preached even by some key members of the hierarchy, and it has many supporters within the Church."

Wise words...one thing that needs to be preached against and with more "militancy" is the anti-militancy of the gospel.  Such people who act like militant Christians should be the first to be denounced as non-Christians, before all other apostates, sinners, and other religions.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 09:36:54 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2013, 09:35:36 AM »

A TOTAL non-sequitur. Putin purportedly is Orthodox and he and his allies have cunningly used the Church as the glue to sustain their nationalist agenda. Obama is not Orthodox and his country is far more multi religious than Putin's in terms of their being one overwhelmingly dominant Faith.

The fact is that many Orthodox in Eastern Europe/the former Soviet countries tend to be increasingly anti-American. That doesn't automatically make them pro-Russian, but they feel - for instance - that gay people have enough rights as it is in their countries. Foreign support of gay activism or attempts to "liberate" such allegedly oppressed minorities are perceived as an infringement of their own cultural and religious values and even their national autonomy. The indigenous political class is perceived as too weak to stand up for these and too docile to their Western political and economical allies (i.e. "masters").
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 09:39:43 AM by Romaios » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2013, 10:00:55 AM »

Pagan ancient Greece and Rome would be horrified by much of what happens publicly in the West.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2013, 10:02:40 AM »

If I was a Georgian I'd vote against it but this sure does sound a lot better idea than an angry violent mob taking justice into their own hands.

Okay, show me where the angry, violent mob is. Where is the Catholicos Patriarch urging people to beat up gays? For God's sake...

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2013, 10:04:13 AM »

Perhaps their elected representatives leave them no choice but to express their will in this manner.

Come forth and denounce those who bless violence. Come, show the proof. Or just ignore the vast majority who aren't violent, who just do not want immorality to be treated as normal, who do not want naked people dancing in the streets for all to see.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2013, 10:06:05 AM »

Oh, like the American south "democratically" disenfranchised and segregated blacks.

Ahem, the Jim Crow laws were a Yankee import. There was not segregation as such during slavery.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2013, 10:08:16 AM »

Enligtenment, lol. His Eminence needs to read more Western history.

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2013, 10:09:35 AM »

The fact is that many Orthodox in Eastern Europe/the former Soviet countries tend to be increasingly anti-American. That doesn't automatically make them pro-Russian, but they feel - for instance - that gay people have enough rights as it is in their countries. Foreign support of gay activism or attempts to "liberate" such allegedly oppressed minorities are perceived as an infringement of their own cultural and religious values and even their national autonomy. The indigenous political class is perceived as too weak to stand up for these and too docile to their Western political and economical allies (i.e. "masters").

I agree and understand. Americans (myself included), left and center, are often culturally arrogant and commonly view the rest of the world in stark black and white, rather than shades of gray, based on their own point of view. We can't escape from our being taught "American exceptionalism" any more than a Russian or Georgian is shaped by their own versions of nationalist myopia.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2013, 10:10:03 AM »

Wise words...one thing that needs to be preached against and with more "militancy" is the anti-militancy of the gospel.  Such people who act like militant Christians should be the first to be denounced as non-Christians, before all other apostates, sinners, and other religions.

I'm sorry, but to rend the Church with mutual accusations of each other is the work of Satan. It is a sure recipe for chaos and a loss of faith. One can see it on this very forum.

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2013, 10:10:42 AM »

Ahem, the Jim Crow laws were a Yankee import. There was not segregation as such during slavery.

Revisionist.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2013, 10:15:23 AM »

You mean, they act just like the Orthodox Christians in Egypt and Syria (and other places where they are killed indiscriminately) who do this sort of thing? Roll Eyes  Seriously, Michael, pay attention and stop making obtuse statements.

I've never heard of Copts making pogroms.

Okay, show me where the angry, violent mob is.

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_f4lMuAhORU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7uC7VYF0NBI

(in the 2nd one there are gays being evacuated by the police. Orthodox activists say them 'goodbye')

Come forth and denounce those who bless violence. Come, show the proof.

I've already posted a link about Russian Church organising paramilitary militia.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 10:19:06 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2013, 10:18:10 AM »

I understand the militancy of faith, but I must have missed the part of Christ's teaching about taking sticks rocks and rioting. That must come after the stuff about seventy time seven is exhausted.  

But for the despised Enlightenment we all would be serfs anyway, if I existed I would still be a Greek Catholic cutting timber in the Tatras and North America would either still be under the British Crown or be a collection of separate nations,feuding some successful and some not like South America. Oh yeah, the Pope and the Papal States would have nukes.....
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2013, 10:31:23 AM »

Revisionist.

LOL. Revisionist history often corrects blatant errors. Or would you just accept Gibbon's take on the Eastern Romans?

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2013, 10:45:08 AM »

Non sequitur. Gibbons was wrong, therefore Jim Crow was sustained into the late 20th century by the descendants of the carpetbagging Yankees. Right....
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »

I'm no big fan of identity politics. That said here the problems is that many Georgian citizens do not understand that that not all Georgian citizens will publicly  congregate  to carry icons and banned and crosses. Some will for wine festivals, other to protest the govt others for gay parades others for bovine expositions etc. assuming the Georgian laws guaranteed freedom to assemble peacefully. And I think it does. The Romanian hierarchy probably no less homophobic is still more cautious with language at least. Maybe the consequence of milking some EU funds. I think they no longer issue protests on every occasion 20 gays congregate. But then again rampant violent homophobia is itself most likely gay. You know probably people that are told personally or just get the general message that they would carry their cross and shut up. Happy content heterosexuals don't foam at the mouth at the sight of homosexuals.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2013, 10:59:08 AM »

Non sequitur. Gibbons was wrong, therefore Jim Crow was sustained into the late 20th century by the descendants of the carpetbagging Yankees. Right....

This message was brought to you by the New England Historical Society and was made possible by generous donations and posters like you.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2013, 11:07:16 AM »

Wise words from our saintly Polish boy.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2013, 11:11:23 AM »

I'm no big fan of identity politics. That said here the problems is that many Georgian citizens do not understand that that not all Georgian citizens will publicly  congregate  to carry icons and banned and crosses. Some will for wine festivals, other to protest the govt others for gay parades others for bovine expositions etc. assuming the Georgian laws guaranteed freedom to assemble peacefully. And I think it does.

So they need to be "educated" that a gay parade is no different from a bovine exposition.  Grin

But then again rampant violent homophobia is itself most likely gay. You know probably people that are told personally or just get the general message that they would carry their cross and shut up. Happy content heterosexuals don't foam at the mouth at the sight of homosexuals.

That's it - all those Georgians are crypto-homosexuals jealous of their liberated counterparts. Roll Eyes
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2013, 11:12:48 AM »

Yes, the true ecumenist comes out.  "Multi-religious" as a virtue.  Thank God for Putin and his "purported" Orthodoxy.  At least he pretends, unlike many on this forum.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2013, 11:14:51 AM »

You misunderstood me. When I said Yankee import, I meant that the laws were used first in the North, then imported in the South. Then, later, the laws were slowly changed in the North, but remained in the South.

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2013, 11:41:05 AM »

At least they have the guts to stand up against "gay rights" rallies. I spent 5 years at a liberal university where I had to put up with such propaganda. I personally have several good friends who have homosexual attractions to other men. However, just because I love them and they are my friends doesn't mean I will ever approve of their decisions. I'm obviously against gay marriage, but not necessarily against remodeling our civil "marriage" system to be civil unions. As has been said elsewhere, while we don't agree with homosexual relationships, the issue with "marriage" in the civil society, is that if they need access to their partner in the hospital, or their partner wishes them to have the rights of a family member, why should we stop them? Our disagreement is over their sexual relationship, not over civil rights.

It is right to stand against the promotion of sexual immorality. What isn't right is doing so with violence. I'm not a big fan of unbridled free speech, so I don't have a problem with Russia, Georgia or other nations suppressing such rallies. My problem is with the Orthodox who react with violence against the gay community.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 11:42:36 AM by 88Devin12 » Logged
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2013, 11:42:12 AM »

I'm sorry, but to rend the Church with mutual accusations of each other is the work of Satan. It is a sure recipe for chaos and a loss of faith. One can see it on this very forum.

As opposed to silence and looking as if Orthodoxy endorses such behavior?  Might as well allow the Muslims to sing in honor of the terrorist Christians to expose our alleged hypocrisy.   The Egyptian Muslim author did so with his novel "Azazel" to show that St. Cyril was a terrorist leader that lead the killing of Hypatia, despite research not able to prove it.  Nevertheless, it makes a juicy opportunity for the non-Christians.  So why shouldn't we be strong in our condemnations of these so-called "Orthodox Christians"?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 11:45:14 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2013, 11:44:02 AM »

At least they have the guts to stand up against "gay rights" rallies. I spent 5 years at a liberal university where I had to put up with such propaganda. I personally have several good friends who have homosexual attractions to other men. However, just because I love them and they are my friends doesn't mean I will ever approve of their decisions. I'm obviously against gay marriage, but not necessarily against remodeling our civil "marriage" system to be civil unions. As has been said elsewhere, while we don't agree with homosexual relationships, the issue with "marriage" in the civil society, is that if they need access to their partner in the hospital, or their partner wishes them to have the rights of a family member, why should we stop them? Our disagreement is over their sexual relationship, not over civil rights.

It is right to stand against the promotion of sexual immorality. What isn't right is doing so with violence. I'm not a big fan of unbridled free speech, so I don't have a problem with Russia, Georgia or other nations suppressing such rallies. My problem is with the Orthodox who react with violence against the gay community.
you'd, one thinks, know that to be part of  mob no extraordinary amount of guts is required. more guts were required for the few gay people to walk around surrounded by that mob.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 11:47:07 AM by augustin717 » Logged
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2013, 11:46:50 AM »

you'd, one thinks, know that to be part of  mob no extraordinary amount of guts is required. more guts were required for the few gay people to walk around surrounded by that mob.

I'm referring to Patriarch Ilia and other figures like the mayor of Moscow who have come out against gay rallies. They have more guts than the chickens over in Western Europe.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2013, 11:50:42 AM »

I'm referring to Patriarch Ilia and other figures like the mayor of Moscow who have come out against gay rallies. They have more guts than the chickens over in Western Europe.

In Georgia?  Is Georgia really that liberal for the patriarch to show "bravery" in taking a stand?  Isn't Orthodox Christianity the state sponsored religion?

Devin, yes, here in the US and other liberal countries, it takes guts standing against homosexuality.  But in Georgia where being Orthodox Christian is the norm, even the patriarch does not require guts.  Guts would be standing against the status quo in a society.

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2013, 11:51:57 AM »

I'll play ialmisry for a second here:

Nations and their limitations on gay marriage in Europe, dark blue allows same-sex marriages, blue allows other types of partnerships, light blue allows cohabitation, grey doesn't recognize same-sex marriages, red limits marriage to heterosexual couples.

This shows European nations and belief in God. Lighter indicates higher rates of atheism, darker indicates higher belief in God.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 11:53:26 AM by 88Devin12 » Logged
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2013, 11:52:42 AM »

In Georgia?  Is Georgia really that liberal for the patriarch to show "bravery" in taking a stand?  Isn't Orthodox Christianity the state sponsored religion?

Devin, yes, here in the US and other liberal countries, it takes guts standing against homosexuality.  But in Georgia where being Orthodox Christian is the norm, even the patriarch does not require guts.  Guts would be standing against the status quo in a society.

Guts on the world stage, where they are accused to being oppressive and violating human rights, not guts in their own country.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2013, 11:53:26 AM »

the mayor of Moscow is, I assume, a puppet of Putin's . So he wouldn't do a thing against    his wishes. so, no guts there. I don't know in what terms patriarch Ilia is to the Georgian political establishment. it might be  the Church flexing their muscles at a gay parade. Possible.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 11:57:04 AM by augustin717 » Logged
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2013, 11:56:05 AM »

you'd, one thinks, know that to be part of  mob no extraordinary amount of guts is required. more guts were required for the few gay people to walk around surrounded by that mob.

Guts on the world stage, where they are accused to being oppressive and violating human rights, not guts in their own country.

They have the safe haven of their own country.  The world may say whatever they want.  If that's the case, Saudi Arabia has big cahonays (sp?) for continuing to make it illegal for women to drive.  That's not guts.  It's guts if all of a sudden the country is controlled by the world.  The Muslim Brotherhood has guts for attacking the Coptic cathedral.  Ya...sounds like guts.  The world decries, and the country doesn't change.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 11:57:07 AM by minasoliman » Logged

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2013, 11:58:37 AM »

the mayor of Moscow is, I assume, a puppet of Putin's . So he wouldn't do a thing against    his wishes. so, no guts there. I don't know in what terms patriarch Ilia is to the Georgian political establishment. it might be  the Church flexing its muscles at a gay parade. Possible.

Nothing wrong with Putin... He may not be the most "diplomatic" leader, but he is the strongest leader the world has seen in years, and at least he stands for what is right, even if he doesn't always do things in a "democratic" manner.

The last strong leader Russia had was Stalin, and Putin is a heck of a lot better than him. The only "contemporary" leader we have had that could compare would have been Roosevelt. It's too bad we can't have strong leaders anymore, the longest anyone can actually hold power is 8 years and that isn't enough time to really establish a strong rule and lasting changes.

(also, just fyi, I don't mean strong as in good or moral)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 12:00:25 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2013, 12:01:47 PM »

Still..."strength" is quite a stretch, especially when you want to consider the spiritual understanding of true strength.

Is it really "strength" for a mob President to use the mob to hush his opponents?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 12:02:29 PM by minasoliman » Logged

augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2013, 12:02:13 PM »

And this:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22509019
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2013, 12:03:34 PM »

Still..."strength" is quite a stretch, especially when you want to consider the spiritual understanding of true strength.

Is it really "strength" for a mob President to use the mob to hush his opponents?

Leaders like Hitler, Stalin and others could all be considered strong leaders, despite the terrible things they did.

A good leader is different than a strong leader.

In my opinion, Putin is a strong leader, but in many ways is also a good leader, because he has helped get Russia off its backside and towards recovery. Despite the wide variety of problems in post-Soviet Russia, the nation definitely has already recovered well.

And just FYI, silencing political opponents isn't necessarily a big deal. Keep in mind that you are talking to a monarchist. If Putin uses his power to silence the communists in Russia, then all power to him. If he also wants to silence those who want Russia to become like Western Europe, then I'm all for silencing them. (I don't mean by killing)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 12:08:10 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Tags: Patriarch Ilya homosexuality 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: