OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 09:13:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sleeping in on Sunday  (Read 563 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: March 24, 2013, 10:29:57 AM »

At what point do you say forget it and sleep in?

Therefore prepare yourself and arise, and speak to them all that I command you. Do not be dismayed before their faces, Lest I dismay you before them.  For behold, I have made you this day a fortified city and an iron pillar, and bronze walls against the whole land...
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 11:18:57 AM »

Was it today for you?  Wink

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Pray for me, Sts. Mina & Kyrillos VI for my exams

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 11:42:19 AM »

That would probably be the most important time to go to Church  Wink

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 12:09:17 PM »

Was it today for you?  Wink
I had like 2.5hours of sleep, and I tend to arrive on Armenian time (more or less).  At least I have been getting 6 hours of sleep a night lately.

Therefore prepare yourself and arise, and speak to them all that I command you. Do not be dismayed before their faces, Lest I dismay you before them.  For behold, I have made you this day a fortified city and an iron pillar, and bronze walls against the whole land...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »

I went through that for a little while. What helps is if I can try to get to bed just 30-60 minutes earlier than I've been used to. What this means is I have a little extra time to lie there and take some deep breaths, let myself relax... and it happens. This week, I made a little extra time to get up for church in the morning - and I did. I woke up today and it wasn't too bad. Smiley Hope it helps.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 12:31:20 PM »

At that point when you realize you're too tired for focusing on prayer.

Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 01:36:25 PM »

I went through that for a little while. What helps is if I can try to get to bed just 30-60 minutes earlier than I've been used to. What this means is I have a little extra time to lie there and take some deep breaths, let myself relax... and it happens. This week, I made a little extra time to get up for church in the morning - and I did. I woke up today and it wasn't too bad. Smiley Hope it helps.
I did that most of this week. That's why I got at least 6 hours of sleep. I'm terrible about doing that normally.

At that point when you realize you're too tired for focusing on prayer.
Good rule of thumb.

I ate, and I'm going back to bed. Post any Palm Sunday suggestions you like here.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:36:44 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »

Heh. Liturgy is at 10:30. On weekdays I get up at 6:30; on weekends my son comes to poke me around 7:30-8, if I'm lucky. So in a way I do get to sleep in and get to Liturgy on time. Cheesy

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 01:47:35 PM »

When I'm visiting my Baptist family.   Wink
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 02:31:02 PM »

When I'm visiting my Baptist family.   Wink
LOL.

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 10:48:25 PM »

Well, if you missed Armenian Palm Sunday, you can catch Coptic Palm Sunday.  I think it's April 28.   Smiley

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 12:20:52 AM »

Well, if you missed Armenian Palm Sunday, you can catch Coptic Palm Sunday.  I think it's April 28.   Smiley
Really?  Cheesy They don't have a different time? I thought I remembered going to a Holy Week service the same time as other western Holy Weeks and Armenian Holy Week a couple years ago. Is that a feature of them using a different calendar that they line up every once in a while but not the rest of the time?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:21:09 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 04:23:12 PM »

it's april 28th, and it is a beautiful liturgy with really ornate palm shapes that people (often the children) make on the saturday. try to get to the saturday as well, there is a special liturgy then too.
then there is a break for lunch (or people bring packed lunch - vegan, remember as it's still lent on the old calendar!), then the holy week services (at least 2 every day) start on sunday afternoon.

the first service is around 2 hours and involves lovely prayers and prostrations and the singing of a funky tune called 'thoak ta te gom', which is 'yours is the power and the glory and the blessing and the majesty', usually sung in coptic, with the last chorus (refrain) in both arabic and the local language.
it is one of my favourite hymns, as it has a funky tune and is repeated many times, so you eventually can learn it (at least by the end of holy week).

may God bless your holy week, all catholics, armenian orthodox and others commemorating it around this time.

PS:
as for sleeping in, there are 2 'cures' to be used at the same time:
1. form a habit of going to bed early every day.
2. buy an alarm clock (they are modern inventions that combine the clever marking of time, with a little device that makes a noise at a set time. if you haven't seen one before, try google or ebay).
 Wink
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: