OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 08:54:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank You Microsoft  (Read 2449 times) Average Rating: 0
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2014, 08:58:51 AM »

Due to unforeseen circumstances....I had not turned on my home laptop in about a month.

When I finally did on Tuesday, I had to wait while it finished configuring some update until I could use it...which took a good many minutes.

As midnight came and went.....I was falling asleep and shut it down....only to find it had 18, yes, 18 updates coming. 

This particular laptop has had the "blue screen of death" twice now....and while I have already backed up my work, I haven't finished backing up the gazillion photos....and I worry about leaving it "on" and going to sleep in case the blue screen reappears.

So, I sat there....waiting....I went and changed, brushed my teeth,.....still on update 3......said my prayers.....washed some dishes.....still on number 9.

It honestly took some 30 minutes to "shut down" due to all the updates.

I haven't turned it on since Tuesday....I hope all is working well.  I've had updates mess up the system before.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2014, 09:08:07 AM »

In my experience, Windows has not been so bad at all (especially in more recent time when crashes are very rare and understandable). I find that people mostly complain about things that they do wrong or don't understand. For myself, I still find that Windows is best as far as hardware support and software development (for it) and it's not bad at all in itself. Linux is great if you are minimalist; otherwise you are not going to find the greatest hardware support and software is generally quite basic (forget all about most advanced games and applications). True I haven't used Apple at all. I expect it to be very good in some areas like stability and certain software, but still would not be what I need as far as hardware flexibility and price and my choice of applications.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:16:02 AM by IoanC » Logged

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2014, 09:23:24 AM »

And, my advice: be patient with the updates especially if you have an older machine or haven't updated in a long time. You need them and many are security updates. Be glad that things are up to date because so are hackers.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:23:46 AM by IoanC » Logged

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2014, 10:40:03 AM »

LOL!  Oh, I am.  I really have no gripe with Microsoft.  Where would we be without them?

I'm always grateful to those who are innovative and ease our crazy lives.

Just yesterday, I was amazed as I got to "work from home"...and was sitting on my work laptop in my living room, in a meeting that was taking place without the telephone, but, through Lync....and was talking with people in Egypt, Italy, Germany and the US, while looking at the desktop of someone in Canada.

This wouldn't even have been conceivable only a few years back.

Before, when "working from home" I had to give out my home phone number....not anymore.

Of course, because we can now WFH easier, I find that I put in more hours than I would at the "office".  I can't just shut down at 5.  I am "on" all the time....as other individuals are located all over the world are already having lunch, while I've not yet gone to bed the night before.

It's really and truly amazing.  Even the last generation would not have thought all this possible.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
converted viking

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2014, 11:17:31 AM »

In my experience, Windows has not been so bad at all (especially in more recent time when crashes are very rare and understandable). I find that people mostly complain about things that they do wrong or don't understand. For myself, I still find that Windows is best as far as hardware support and software development (for it) and it's not bad at all in itself. Linux is great if you are minimalist; otherwise you are not going to find the greatest hardware support and software is generally quite basic (forget all about most advanced games and applications). True I haven't used Apple at all. I expect it to be very good in some areas like stability and certain software, but still would not be what I need as far as hardware flexibility and price and my choice of applications.

Linux Mint with the XFCE desktop works great<for me>minimalist means fewer problems, not a resource hog.  It does everything I need an OS to do.  Also use the Firefox browser which rocks.   No worries here.

Viking 
Ikonguru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Baptised Anglican -moving toward Orthodoxy

Lord have Mercy upon me, a Sinner

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2014, 04:57:53 PM »

^ Is your computer modern enough to run Windows 8.1?

If you want to run Windows 8.1 on your PC, here's what it takes:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driv

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/system-requirements

SolEX01, thanks again for pointing this out to me. Luckily, I have just finished the basic install of Win 8.1 (32 bit) on my 2007 built PC without a hitch, doing a clean install.
As Win XP will not be supported beyond April 2014 and may be more vulnerable to hackers then, upgrading now seemed a good choice, the cost was not too bad (£85 , from Amazon, for the full 32bt/64bt package). I tried to get Windows 7 Home Premium (not OEM) but everywhere is sold out.

If your are upgrading to 8.1, use the custom settings option during install, and turn off some settings otherwise you will be opted into sending loads of personal data back to Microsoft for their 'evaluation'.

Yes, I should be thankful for Bill Gates and Microsoft. Without them, I probably wouldn't know about Orthodoxy.

What's the difference between Microsoft Windows and a pound of Swiss Cheese?
Answer: The Cheese has less holes in!

Now to install those Apps and drivers .... see you in a couple of weeks!

It is from a place of exile, where my captors torment me, that I write these lines. Through the grace of our Lord, I may one day be free.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2014, 05:25:13 PM »

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)

SolEX01, thanks again for pointing this out to me. Luckily, I have just finished the basic install of Win 8.1 (32 bit) on my 2007 built PC without a hitch, doing a clean install.
As Win XP will not be supported beyond April 2014 and may be more vulnerable to hackers then, upgrading now seemed a good choice, the cost was not too bad (£85 , from Amazon, for the full 32bt/64bt package). I tried to get Windows 7 Home Premium (not OEM) but everywhere is sold out.

If your are upgrading to 8.1, use the custom settings option during install, and turn off some settings otherwise you will be opted into sending loads of personal data back to Microsoft for their 'evaluation'.

Yes, I should be thankful for Bill Gates and Microsoft. Without them, I probably wouldn't know about Orthodoxy.

Screw that, I'm just going to get Windows 7 and rue the day Windows 2000 stopped being good enough.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2014, 05:50:02 PM »

I much prefer OEM myself.

SCREW BON JOVI!
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2014, 05:53:09 PM »

Windows 8.  Proof that if it ain't broke (Windows 7), you aren't trying hard enough.

Windows 7 was the cats pajamas, IMHO.  Windows 8 looks like something designed by a 27 baboons pounding on keyboards in BASIC.

LMAO

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Ikonguru

« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2014, 05:41:15 PM »

Windows 8.  Proof that if it ain't broke (Windows 7), you aren't trying hard enough.

Windows 7 was the cats pajamas, IMHO.  Windows 8 looks like something designed by a 27 baboons pounding on keyboards in BASIC.

LMAO

Trying to install apps etc. to Windows 8.1
It's ugly, it's sterile, it's cold, it's Souless

What were they thinking ......WHAT ON EARTH WERE THEY THINKING???

You'll love this message you will probably get:

''You don't currently have permission to access this folder''
Lovely, nice one Bill ........ typical Micros**t, doesn't even allow you access your own files on your own separate drive.
Lord Jesus Christ have mercy!

It is from a place of exile, where my captors torment me, that I write these lines. Through the grace of our Lord, I may one day be free.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2014, 06:26:01 PM »

LMAO

Trying to install apps etc. to Windows 8.1
It's ugly, it's sterile, it's cold, it's Souless

What were they thinking ......WHAT ON EARTH WERE THEY THINKING???

Lovely, nice one Bill ........ typical Micros**t, doesn't even allow you access your own files on your own separate drive.
Lord Jesus Christ have mercy!

You must realize that he is cursed by his own product as much as you and me, and that he pays the baboons to dance.

The devil loves to zing him even more than us by the same issues.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Ikonguru

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2014, 06:15:20 PM »

I solved the problem shown above  laugh on Windows 8.1 by following this link:

http://tips4windows.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/how-to-access-protected-folders-in.html#.Uv_h1c7MC1s

As usual Microsoft.com  Angry support just led me round in ever increasing circles. Even their on-line chat support cut me off when I explained the problem!  Roll Eyes

joke: Cheesy
Bill Gates goes to purgatory:

St. Peter says, "Now Bill, you have done some good things, and you have done some bad things. Now I am going to let you decide where you want to go".

First, St. Peter shows Bill an image of Hell with beautiful women running on beaches. Then, St Peter shows Bill an image of Heaven with robed angels playing harps on clouds.

Bill chooses Hell.

About a week later, St. Peter checks in on Bill in Hell and finds him being whipped by demons.

Bill says to St. Peter, "What happened to all the beautiful women and the beaches?"

St. Peter replies, "That was just the screen saver."

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 06:20:43 PM by Ikonguru » Logged

Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2014, 07:18:25 PM »

I solved the problem shown above  laugh on Windows 8.1 by following this link:

http://tips4windows.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/how-to-access-protected-folders-in.html#.Uv_h1c7MC1s

As usual Microsoft.com  Angry support just led me round in ever increasing circles. Even their on-line chat support cut me off when I explained the problem!  Roll Eyes

joke: Cheesy
Bill Gates goes to purgatory:

St. Peter says, "Now Bill, you have done some good things, and you have done some bad things. Now I am going to let you decide where you want to go".

First, St. Peter shows Bill an image of Hell with beautiful women running on beaches. Then, St Peter shows Bill an image of Heaven with robed angels playing harps on clouds.

Bill chooses Hell.

About a week later, St. Peter checks in on Bill in Hell and finds him being whipped by demons.

Bill says to St. Peter, "What happened to all the beautiful women and the beaches?"

St. Peter replies, "That was just the screen saver."

Or it could be He does not have access to that hell.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2014, 07:23:59 PM »

Anyone still get this classic error from time to time?  Wink

"An unknown error has occurred"

Wait a minute. If it is unknown, how do they know it happened, and how do they know it is an error?  Huh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Dejan

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2014, 10:36:55 PM »

At least one thing that was always consistent with the way windows OS looks is the infamous blue screen of death. Smiley
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2014, 12:09:31 AM »

At least one thing that was always consistent with the way windows OS looks is the infamous blue screen of death. Smiley

It was or still is a greyscale screen on a mac. I think it is the newer hard drives primarily and not the operating system that is the problem. The older, lower capacity hard drives are much more error free. The Mac II (68020) hard drive was still fine when I had to get rid of it a couple of years ago, and it got continual, shared use for many, many years. Perhaps from before many people here were born.

It is just my impression that the half lives of HDs are continually decreasing.
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2014, 08:16:43 PM »

It was or still is a greyscale screen on a mac. I think it is the newer hard drives primarily and not the operating system that is the problem. The older, lower capacity hard drives are much more error free. The Mac II (68020) hard drive was still fine when I had to get rid of it a couple of years ago, and it got continual, shared use for many, many years. Perhaps from before many people here were born.

I have had just the opposite experience, in the late 90s I went through several hard drives in as many years, lately they have lasted three times or more longer than that.

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2014, 09:49:23 PM »

I have had just the opposite experience, in the late 90s I went through several hard drives in as many years, lately they have lasted three times or more longer than that.

Obviously we are at opposite ends of some undefined reliability curve. But good for you!
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2014, 08:12:30 PM »

Obviously we are at opposite ends of some undefined reliability curve. But good for you!

I just hope I didn't speak too soon.

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2014, 08:40:11 PM »

I just hope I didn't speak too soon.

Thanks for the reminder. It is strange that something within me seems to reject the idea of backing up what I have written for the past three days with a deadline approaching even though my career and future depends upon what I have written, as do my dependents. I do not understand why I purposely make my life more stressful.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2014, 11:14:50 AM »

I finally got around to installing a fix for that stupid feature of Windows 7 that (mandatorily) auto-arranges files in my folders according to whatever limited number of categories MS came up with. Who are they to tell me that I can only arrange my files according to things like size, date, etc.? If I want to arrange my files in random Tetris shapes and choose which to include in a group according to what their 4th letter is, then who is MS to tell me I can't?

Free at last!  Cool
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:16:37 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2014, 04:20:57 PM »

I finally got around to installing a fix for that stupid feature of Windows 7 that (mandatorily) auto-arranges files in my folders according to whatever limited number of categories MS came up with. Who are they to tell me that I can only arrange my files according to things like size, date, etc.? If I want to arrange my files in random Tetris shapes and choose which to include in a group according to what their 4th letter is, then who is MS to tell me I can't?

Free at last!  Cool

On the other hand , if they anticipated every crazy scheme, what fun would that leave for you.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:21:55 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2014, 10:05:36 PM »

I didn't need them to anticipate my craziness though, just let me have the freedom to be crazy. Instead they did what corporations seem to love to do... take away a useful and enjoyable feature just because, well, it gives the drones something to work on I guess. Tongue

My next rant will be on Netflix and the stuff they've done to screw up their thing. But that's for another thread.  Cool

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: