Author Topic: Baba Vanga and her prophecies.  (Read 8603 times)

Offline Robb

• OC.net guru
Baba Vanga and her prophecies.
« on: March 25, 2012, 11:08:15 PM »
What should we make of the Bulgarian mystic Baba Vanga and her supposed prophecies?  I happened to stumble on a few web sites devoted to her and these predicitons recently, but am not sure what to make of them.  I have heard that she is popular in modern Russia though.
Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
Re: Baba Vanga and her prophecies.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 12:19:42 AM »
Sounds like an Edgar Cayce.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 05:08:01 AM »
Never heard about her. Do you have a link?
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline vorgos

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 05:20:04 AM »
This should tell you all that you need to know I think.

from http://www.theastralworld.com/prophecies/babavanga.php

2010: World War 3 begins in November 2010. Starting as a regular war, it will progress to a nuclear and chemical war. Vanga says the war will be finished by October 2014.

2011: As a result of the war, radioactive showers will destroy almost all life in the Northern Hemisphere. The remaining Europeans will face an even further threat from the Muslims who will use chemical weapons to finish them off.

And there is much more where that came from....
Christ turned the world upside down; and when the world was viewed from such a remarkable perspective, it suddenly made sense -- Fr Andrew Greeley

Offline vorgos

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 05:32:38 AM »
When I was little, my mother told me that the AntiChrist would come around the time of my 25th birthday. Poor woman didn't know better and was barely able to feed myself and my siblings so there was no time to go look for answers.

It messed me up. It messed up my teenage years and early adulthood. Do yourself a favor and do not pay attention. We are ALL going to die. The difference is when and what state our souls will be when it happens.

Christ turned the world upside down; and when the world was viewed from such a remarkable perspective, it suddenly made sense -- Fr Andrew Greeley

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 05:44:56 AM »
This should tell you all that you need to know I think.

from http://www.theastralworld.com/prophecies/babavanga.php

2010: World War 3 begins in November 2010. Starting as a regular war, it will progress to a nuclear and chemical war. Vanga says the war will be finished by October 2014.

2011: As a result of the war, radioactive showers will destroy almost all life in the Northern Hemisphere. The remaining Europeans will face an even further threat from the Muslims who will use chemical weapons to finish them off.

Well personally, I wouldn't take it seriously. These predictions sound a little too crazy.

And there is much more where that came from....
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 06:36:33 AM »
The same thing that people should generally do to all kinds of prophecies. Ignore them.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 12:15:31 AM »
So here's what I got from Russian sources:
A story claiming that she didn't like what was an alleged piece of the Cross:
http://www.k-istine.ru/occultism/occultism_vanga-03.htm

A Russian Church website says the St Petka Church was consecrated, and that the writer, a hieromonk, considers it a mistake. He mentions that one time she was not able to go near an icon of the Theotokos:
http://infomissia.ru/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=144:dvizhenia-novoy-ery&id=563:l-r

One of the particularly unnerving things about the art over the entrance to the church is that where you would normally see an icon over the entrance and cross yourself there is what looks like a tombstone, albeit with a cross on it:

In another article, she appears to her sister saying that liturgies burn her in hades.
http://www.pravoslavie.ru/smi/45426.htm

On the positive side, one article which takes a generally negative view of the phenomenon says that judging from everything, Vanga tried to do good:
http://www.pravoslavieto.com/inoverie/vanga/Vanga_ru.htm

Furthermore, I would nonetheless ask, if she was so bad, why did she also seem to have respect for Christian images? After all, there are crosses in her chapel and I remember seeing a nature scene with Christ over her bed.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 12:16:05 AM by rakovsky »
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 01:05:39 AM »
I note in passing that I also read that according to her nephew she was religious, went to confession, took communion, and encouraged belief in God.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline DuxI

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 07:23:46 PM »
So here's what I got from Russian sources:
A story claiming that she didn't like what was an alleged piece of the Cross:
http://www.k-istine.ru/occultism/occultism_vanga-03.htm

A Russian Church website says the St Petka Church was consecrated, and that the writer, a hieromonk, considers it a mistake. He mentions that one time she was not able to go near an icon of the Theotokos:
http://infomissia.ru/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=144:dvizhenia-novoy-ery&id=563:l-r

One of the particularly unnerving things about the art over the entrance to the church is that where you would normally see an icon over the entrance and cross yourself there is what looks like a tombstone, albeit with a cross on it:

In another article, she appears to her sister saying that liturgies burn her in hades.
http://www.pravoslavie.ru/smi/45426.htm

On the positive side, one article which takes a generally negative view of the phenomenon says that judging from everything, Vanga tried to do good:
http://www.pravoslavieto.com/inoverie/vanga/Vanga_ru.htm

Furthermore, I would nonetheless ask, if she was so bad, why did she also seem to have respect for Christian images? After all, there are crosses in her chapel and I remember seeing a nature scene with Christ over her bed.

The Bulgarian Orthodox Church did not consecrate the Church, at least from what i know. Look this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1C2yK__exw

Start watching at 1:04:00, there you will see a ceremony. To me it does not look as consecration of the Church. And the baptism of the children is done outside of that Church. Of course, watch all video, it is interesting.
From what my family said to me, Vanga always had Christian images, and from their telling, there was a priest there while they visited her. 
With our family she was very kind, she answered all the questions, except one, but now we understood why she did not answer it...

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 10:59:01 AM »
The Bulgarian Orthodox Church did not consecrate the Church, at least from what i know. Look this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1C2yK__exw

Start watching at 1:04:00, there you will see a ceremony. To me it does not look as consecration of the Church. And the baptism of the children is done outside of that Church.

With our family she was very kind, she answered all the questions, except one, but now we understood why she did not answer it...
I read in Wikipedia that it was not consecrated, but several Russian sources said it was. If the video you showed did not show the full consecration, perhaps the ceremony was continued and completed afterwards. Besides that, what else was the ceremony? The use of the branches and water seems that at least there was a blessing of the church, which seems like osvyaschenie (literally "making holy", or consecration).

The legitimacy baptisms in the video on the other hand raises a question for me, because the child only had their feet put in the water, which is incorrect, unless they do it that way in Bulgaria. This is not to mention that it was not done in a church.

On another note I would be curious what you meant in your last statement- it sounds like there was some bad news she did not say.

Offline DuxI

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 06:26:08 PM »

On another note I would be curious what you meant in your last statement- it sounds like there was some bad news she did not say.

Well, when my father was 5 years ago, he, his sister, and his grandmother went to Vanga. His grandmother wanted to know the truth about her husband (my father's grandfather), who disappeared during the World War 2. Of course, my father was little, so he does not remember a lot about that visit to Baba Vanga, but his sister is older, so she remembers all, and told me what happened there.
When they entered at the house, many people waited there. The house inside, was covered with icons. From inside the house Vanga said: "The Macedonian woman with her two grandchildren should come inside! When they entered, and sat, Vanga said: "Woman, i know for what you came. The one that you search for is now dust, nothing is left of him, do not search anymore. I can see him, together with his sister and her twins (his sister died at childbirth, and together with her died her children)". Then my great-grandmother asked about her death, to which Vanga said: "You will die in their hands, do not worry". She thought she will die with her son and grandchildren, but she did not die in Skopje, she died surrounded by relatives, but not her son and grandchildren. After she asked about my father's sister, to which Vanga gave reply, and then asked about my father. To that Vanga said: "I do not know anything, i do not know anything". And refused to answer.
My mother died 9 months ago, after fighting so many years with serious illnesses...then for the first time we remembered what Vanga said...although we are not sure if that was really what she did not want to say, or there are even more bad things coming...but, for me, personally, that was the worst, no matter of what evil Vanga thought when she did not wish to reply.

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 06:33:13 PM »
After she asked about my father's sister, to which Vanga gave reply, and then asked about my father. To that Vanga said: "I do not know anything, i do not know anything". And refused to answer.
My mother died 9 months ago, after fighting so many years with serious illnesses...then for the first time we remembered what Vanga said...although we are not sure if that was really what she did not want to say, or there are even more bad things coming...but, for me, personally, that was the worst, no matter of what evil Vanga thought when she did not wish to reply.
I am confused what your mother's death has to do with your father's sister...

Offline DuxI

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 07:02:14 PM »
After she asked about my father's sister, to which Vanga gave reply, and then asked about my father. To that Vanga said: "I do not know anything, i do not know anything". And refused to answer.
I am confused what your mother's death has to do with your father's sister...

The grandmother of my father first asked about my father's sister's fate. Then she asked about my father, and then Vanga said that she did not know. It ha nothing to to with my father's sister. I wanted to say that Vanga replied every question, except the one about my father, because she knew that his life will be difficult with my mother's illnesses...or that is what we think. Who knows what was she thinking of...

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 07:20:18 PM »
Howard put it well:

"They know I'm a phony. They know I'm a yo-yo."

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 10:12:23 AM »
Just another Nostradamus...except with a headscarf.....nonsense.

PP
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:12:33 AM by primuspilus »
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker