Author Topic: Coptic Christian nominated for 2012 Nobel Peace Prize for work in Cairo  (Read 2196 times)

Offline CoptoGeek

• of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
  • OC.net guru
Coptic Christian nominated for 2012 Nobel Peace Prize for work in Cairo
By: Ivana Kvesic
Christian Post, Wednesday, 8 February 2012, 7:56 (EST)

Christian ministry leader "Mama Maggie" Gobran has been nominated for the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize by several members of the United States Congress for her selfless work offering aid and assistance to the impoverished people of Cairo's garbage slums.

<snip>

Gobran is the founder of Stephen's Children, a ministry based in Cairo dedicated to helping families living in Cairo's garbage slums, providing assistance to both Christian and Muslim children, and helping impoverished rural communities in Upper Egypt. She is referred to by locals as "Mama Maggie" and has been dubbed the "Mother Teresa of Cairo."

http://au.christiantoday.com/article/coptic-christian-nominated-for-2012-nobel-peace-prize-for-work-in-cairo/12790.htm

Here's a small clip of one of her speeches:

Mama Maggie Gobran Segment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xezBhAmKyaA
"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
Re: Coptic Christian nominated for 2012 Nobel Peace Prize for work in Cairo
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
A shame the Nobel Peace Prize doesn't mean anything anymore.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 04:04:57 PM »
What's a bigger shame is that I knew nothing about her until then.  Why hasn't the Church honored her work?  Everything I'm reading about her and listening from her indicates she's Orthodox.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline CoptoGeek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 04:30:30 PM »
What's a bigger shame is that I knew nothing about her until then.  Why hasn't the Church honored her work?  Everything I'm reading about her and listening from her indicates she's Orthodox.

Yes, that's what I've read as well, it even says so on her charity's website.  I've heard of her before, but assumed she was Roman or Coptic Catholic as her dress & appearance wasn't why you'd normally see from an Orthodox. And, figured that's why I never heard her mentioned by the Church.

But that she's Orthodox & not mentioned by the Church is quite perplexing.

That excerpt of her speech I posted was before an Evangelical audience. How beautiful to introduce them to the interior life of prayer, of monasticism, and our great Saint, Abba Anthony!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 04:35:38 PM by CoptoGeek »
"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa

Offline CoptoGeek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 04:31:58 PM »

Sad, but true. How utterly dreadful that everything must be politicized now.

Offline HabteSelassie

• Ises and I-ity
  • Archon
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 05:55:20 PM »
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Sad, but true. How utterly dreadful that everything must be politicized now.

Word. 

Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Leymah Gbowee, Tawakkol Karman

These at least were admirable women, however even this was politicized by awarding Liberia's President (as honorable as her achievements have been)..

Of course politicians are all ridiculously wealthy these days, so with an opportunity at over a $1,000,000 cash what could we honestly expect? ;)

stay blessed,
habte selassie
"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
  • Pat. St. Severus, pray for my family & friends
    • St. Severus of Antioch's Writings
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox Christian
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 09:05:45 PM »
--Subscribed--
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice.

Offline CoptoGeek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 09:22:54 AM »
Here's pretty much the entire speech from that clip I posted above:

mama maggie part 01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-YlqwHfnnM

mama maggie part 02
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNzEexj9mqA 

Its from an event called the Global Leadership Summit at Willow Creek Church this past year.

Offline CoptoGeek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 09:27:07 AM »
‘Every needy child is your child’
Ed West meets the woman known as ‘the Mother Teresa of Cairo’ for her work with the city’s ‘garbage people’

By Ed West on Friday, 4 February 2011

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/features/2011/02/04/%E2%80%98every-needy-child-is-your-child%E2%80%99/

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 09:37:40 AM »
Glory to God for this wonderful woman & her coworkers. Lord, grant that some of our charitable donations be directed to help Mother Gobran to help those in need.
Antiochian OC NA

Beware the wrath of the guardians of "love."

Offline CoptoGeek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 10:28:08 AM »
Lord, grant that some of our charitable donations be directed to help Mother Gobran to help those in need.

She does indeed seem like a truly remarkable woman, but I'm hesitant to recommend contributing to her charity until we know her relationship with the Church and whether she's working with the Church's blessing. We have a number of charities that are supported by the Church to help the poor in Egypt that also do remarkable work such as Bless USA, Coptic Orphans, etc.  For now I think it best to support these groups, if you're so inclined, until we're more certain about her.

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 10:31:36 AM »
Lord, grant that some of our charitable donations be directed to help Mother Gobran to help those in need.

She does indeed seem like a truly remarkable woman, but I'm hesitant to recommend contributing to her charity until we know her relationship with the Church and whether she's working with the Church's blessing. We have a number of charities that are supported by the Church to help the poor in Egypt that also do remarkable work such as Bless USA, Coptic Orphans, etc.  For now I think it best to support these groups, if you're so inclined, until we're more certain about her.

Agreed, I am hoping it is through these very agencies that God will further bless her efforts.
Antiochian OC NA

Beware the wrath of the guardians of "love."

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 06:42:05 PM »
the website for her charity does not mention the orthodox church.
so either the charity is trying to be ecumenical, or, perhaps she is protestant.
most coptic charities have a least one icon on the website.
so i will watch this space.

i pray God brings light and love to the children and to those who work with them.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 08:15:37 PM »
All indications by her mannerisms and speech, and by wikibin website say she's Orthodox.  But even if not so, I still place my pride in her as well as my desire to be influenced by her.  God bless her in all she does.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 12:10:40 AM »
Exactly. Which is sad because Alfred Nobel wrote: "shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses." http://www.nobelprize.org/alfred_nobel/will/short_testamente.html Which would have been perfectly in line with this nomination.

After giving Obama the Nobel it truly killed off whatever credibility that it had left. The biggest mistake was never giving me a nomination for the Nobel...
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline CoptoGeek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 04:11:40 PM »
the website for her charity does not mention the orthodox church.
so either the charity is trying to be ecumenical, or, perhaps she is protestant.
most coptic charities have a least one icon on the website.
so i will watch this space.

If you go to Who is “Mama Maggie”? & click on Learn More,

"Maggie’s story of devotion, obedience and love is the hallmark of the Stephen’s Children ministry. As the youngest daughter of an upper-middle-class family in Cairo’s Coptic Orthodox Christian community, Maggie grew up shielded from the realities of central Cairo’s squalid slums."

http://www.stephenschildren.org/team.php

As for no icons on the webpage, I think it's understandable, since she seems to gets a lot of support from Protestants in the West.

Don't get me wrong, anyone doing such beautiful work is deserving of support. But my preference is are for those blessed by the Church.

i pray God brings light and love to the children and to those who work with them.

Amen!