Author Topic: RC to Orthodox converts...share your stories here!  (Read 102024 times)

Offline PorphyriosK

Re: RC to Orthodox converts...share your stories here!
« Reply #225 on: August 08, 2018, 11:16:10 PM »
I also appreciated both your stories.

noazarc1, have you read the "Sedevacantist Delusion" by former Catholic turned Orthodox?

https://www.thesedevacantistdelusion.com

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #226 on: August 09, 2018, 05:54:34 AM »

noazarc1, have you read the "Sedevacantist Delusion" by former Catholic turned Orthodox?

I read his Orthodox Sedevacantists article and I really did not get it.
How is the fact that the Orthodox never really set up "resistance churches" and elected anti popes helping the Orthodox case?
His argument is already assuming that the Orthodox church(es) alone are the church founded by Christ with the fullness of truth and then is deriving evidence
that the Sedes are wrong. I think it is nothing more than a weak form of circular reasoning - and I am not a Sede.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:55:31 AM by Lepanto »
Sanctus Deus, Sanctus fortis, Sanctus immortalis, miserere nobis.

Offline PorphyriosK

« Reply #227 on: August 09, 2018, 08:44:29 AM »

How is the fact that the Orthodox never really set up "resistance churches" and elected anti popes helping the Orthodox case?
His argument is already assuming that the Orthodox church(es) alone are the church founded by Christ with the fullness of truth and then is deriving evidence
that the Sedes are wrong. I think it is nothing more than a weak form of circular reasoning - and I am not a Sede.

I have not read that article, but the book shows the circular reasoning of both Sedevacantistism and the "recognize and resist" Traditionalist positions.  It's been a while since I read it, but I seem to remember that being the bulk of the content and his conclusions about Orthodoxy seemed more of an afterthought.  Still interesting.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #228 on: August 09, 2018, 09:00:33 AM »
I mean, all argumentation is circular on some level, that isn't a reason in itself to reject something, though it can weaken an attempt at persuasion depending on how 'close' to fundamentals things are. I think there are plenty of other reasons in cases like this though...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:01:41 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline noahzarc1

• Faith: Western Rite Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Examining Western Rite of Antiochan
« Reply #229 on: August 09, 2018, 09:30:12 AM »
If you made it this far, thank you for reading. It took me a long time to think through this and put it to words. I may continue to do more reading here than posting. I am moving along much slower, not acting impulsively out of guilt or condemnation, but allowing for the first time in my life, the grace of Christ to guide me, teach me and instruct me by his Spirit. I am very thankful to a Western Rite Orthodox Priest who is helping me during this time. Learning, understanding and knowing the development of the Western Rite has been immensely helpful to my journey.  I have no guarantees where I will end up, neither does he. He has never condemned the West or Rome. Neither do I. I have so many I love and respect from these traditions.  Instead he is helping me to move slowly and understand the Church and her historical journey.

Noahzarc1, thank you very much for sharing this. You're clearly very thoughtful about what you say, and I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future.

Thank you for your kind words platypus. So much to read on this forum. I am also impressed it has been around so long. I realize there are threads going back to when I was still a Protestant in seminary. I guess one could think, "I wish I had found this sooner," but in reality my journey is the one God allowed me on and walked with me on. I have no regrets of all the people I've met along the way. I just always hope to share my story. I don't expect my journey to stop, but only continue.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:36:38 AM by noahzarc1 »

Offline noahzarc1

• Faith: Western Rite Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Examining Western Rite of Antiochan
« Reply #230 on: August 09, 2018, 09:38:36 AM »

Probably needs its own thread rather than tying up this thread and what it is intended for.