Author Topic: Abba Seraphim of the British (Oriental) Orthodox Church on the EO Western Rite  (Read 3642 times)

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
The title caught my attention, as I have read several small booklets by Abba Seraphim, which I bought off of lulu.com. I found most of what he said interesting, though--speaking for myself--I do not consider western rite parishes second class, and I do not look upon them "with reservations". I understand his point, I just respectfully disagree.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
The title caught my attention, as I have read several small booklets by Abba Seraphim, which I bought off of lulu.com. I found most of what he said interesting, though--speaking for myself--I do not consider western rite parishes second class, and I do not look upon them "with reservations". I understand his point, I just respectfully disagree.
Yes, I think this is the first Eastern criticism of the WRO I've seen that I can respect.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
Yes, I think this is the first Eastern criticism of the WRO I've seen that I can respect.

I can't really see how his criticisms differ from those normally levelled against the WRO
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:03:09 AM by Orthodox11 »

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
Thanks for posting this.  I too have reservations of the Western Rite though i don't believe that it should it be just discarded.  I think this was one of the more objective responses to the existence and practice of the Western Rite.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
I think Abba Seraphim's criticism was more so of how the Byzantine riters treat the Western riters, rather than of the WR itself.

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos

I can't really see how his criticisms differ from those normally levelled against the WRO

For one thing, none of the Orthodox kettle calling the pot of Rome black, because it inssiting on imposing its own right on every other patriarchate. Note how he begins that his Patriarchate uses Alexadnrian DL usually, but his jurisdiction uses another (Jerusalem).
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches

For one thing, none of the Orthodox kettle calling the pot of Rome black, because it inssiting on imposing its own right on every other patriarchate. Note how he begins that his Patriarchate uses Alexadnrian DL usually, but his jurisdiction uses another (Jerusalem).

Wasn't the DL of James the main rite of Antioch as well?

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos

Wasn't the DL of James the main rite of Antioch as well?
For the Syriac Orthodox, still is.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
I think Abba Seraphim's criticism was more so of how the Byzantine riters treat the Western riters, rather than of the WR itself.

Yes, there was that too and that's why I believe this criticism was one of the best objective treatments of this subject.  But, he still made it very clear that those who use the WR still have not embraced the fullness of the Orthodox faith and that the WR itself is foreign to the spirituality of Orthodoxy.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.