Author Topic: Questions No Orthodox Christian Can Answer  (Read 4517 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Questions No Orthodox Christian Can Answer
« on: January 08, 2010, 10:50:46 AM »
If Arius had repented and returned to Orthodoxy, would he have been invited to the annual Christmas party? I mean, it would have been awkward to have both St. Nicholas and Arius there, and Christmas is sort of a special time for St. Nicholas.

If there is nothing that St. John of Damascus can't answer, then why didn't he tell us how to get rid of those annoying religious people who go door to door evangelizing?

If Orthodoxy is so special, then why is it only the Pope of Rome that has those guys in funny outfits protecting him?

Checkmate, Orthodox!

Offline yochanan

• Arch-laity of the Room of Supreme Awesomeness
  • O majestic aurora, how seeming did He fashion you!
Re: Questions No Orthodox Christian Can Answer
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 11:26:19 AM »
If Arius had repented and returned to Orthodoxy, would he have been invited to the annual Christmas party? I mean, it would have been awkward to have both St. Nicholas and Arius there, and Christmas is sort of a special time for St. Nicholas.

If there is nothing that St. John of Damascus can't answer, then why didn't he tell us how to get rid of those annoying religious people who go door to door evangelizing?

If Orthodoxy is so special, then why is it only the Pope of Rome that has those guys in funny outfits protecting him?

Checkmate, Orthodox!

I'm converting  ::)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:26:39 AM by yochanan »
"It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us..." (Acts 15: 28)

Offline GammaRay

• The Awful Preacher
  • High Elder
  • Alexandros Papadiamantis
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 11:32:23 AM »
St. Nicholas would be busy handing out gifts. Of course, Arius would ask for a "How to debunk the Nicene heretics" manual. Which he would not get, because he had been a bad boy. Even if he repented, he's still the bad guy. >:(

He did, but the Protestant Evangelicals found it first and posed it as their own in order to seem more orthodox by avoiding relations with Jehovah Witnesses!

'CAUSE OUR BISHOPS ARE STRONGER AND DON'T NEED PROTECTION! 8)
Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 11:56:13 AM »

Arius actually was invited back and when he went up to receive communion dropped dead of intestinal issues.

Because Christ told us how to get rid of them. We are to speak to them in love and truth.

Matt 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

Where there is light, darkness cannot exist. Therefore, by shining our light before them they will either want to become part of the light, or will flee from it further into the darkness.

Checkmate, Orthodox!

You really think those are costumes worth bragging about?

As the 60 Minutes interview with His All Holiness on Dec 20, 2009 clearly showed (http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6001717n&tag=contentBody;housing ), the Ecumenical Patriarch is under constant threat of attack. He has 24 hour security protecting him; they just don't dress in funny suits. ;)
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 12:17:13 PM »
I've never been to a Christmas party that wasn't socially awkward to some degree. If it isn't arguments between intoxicated family members about things that happened in 1964, its the uncle snoring loudly on the sofa with a room full of guests.

He did tell us how to deal with them- just argue with them until they leave.

Checkmate, Orthodox!
Ya got me there.
Goodness! Perhaps they are the true faith after all!
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 12:28:15 PM »

Offline ozgeorge

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 12:32:17 PM »
^ LOL! :D
Top that Vatican City!

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 12:32:24 PM »

Checkmate, Orthodox!

Well tis true that you guys have funnier hats than us.  ;)

"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline Orthodoc

• Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
  • Archon
  • Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 12:43:27 PM »

Checkmate, Orthodox!

Where was this picture taken?  What Orthodox association does it represent?

Orthodoc
Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.

Offline ozgeorge

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 12:46:49 PM »
Where was this picture taken?  What Orthodox association does it represent?
They are the Romeiko Ensemble
They are wearing the choir vestments that were worn in the Church of the Holy Wisdom in Constantinople.

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 01:36:43 PM »
Those are the choir vestments?? wow!  :o

Offline NorthernPines

• High Elder
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 01:58:55 PM »

Arius actually was invited back and when he went up to receive communion dropped dead of intestinal issues.

if I may ask, are you by chance implying something specific here or just making a statement in general?

Just curious . . . as I have a tendency to jump to conclusions which turn out to not be there.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:59:51 PM by NorthernPines »

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 02:19:47 PM »

if I may ask, are you by chance implying something specific here or just making a statement in general?

Just curious . . . as I have a tendency to jump to conclusions which turn out to not be there.

Arius did not repent. Constantine demanded that he be re-instanted. I'm simply stating how Arius died:

He was formally recalled from banishment; and all the chiefs of the Eusebian party were assembled in Constantinople to receive him back into the bosom of the church, when he suddenly died the day before the solemnity (336), at the age of over eighty years, at a time and in a manner that seemed to the orthodox party to be a direct interposition of Providence, and a condemnation of his doctrine; while his friends attributed the death to poison. Athanasius relates the fact in a letter to Serapion, on the authority of a priest, Macarius of Constantinople (De Morte Arii, Opera, ed. Bened. torn. I., pp. 1., 340), and ventures to interpret Providence in the uncharitable style of his age, yet not without some reluctance of his better Christian feeling Epiphanius (Haer. 68, c. 7) compares his death to that of Judas the traitor. Socrates (Hist. Eccl. I., 38) gives the following account: "Going out of the imperial palace, attended by a crowd of Eusebian partisans like guards, Arius paraded proudly through the midst of the city, attracting the notice of all the people. On approaching the place called Constantine’s Forum, where the column of porphyry is erected, a terror, arising from the consciousness of his wickedness, seized him, accompanied by a violent relaxation of the bowels. He therefore inquired whether there was a convenient place near, and, being directed to the back of Constantine’s Forum, he hastened thither. Soon after, a faintness came over him, and, together with the evacuations, his bowels protruded, followed by a copious hemorrhage, and the descent of the smaller intestines. More over, portions of his spleen and liver were carried off in the effusion of blood, so that he almost immediately died." Sozomen (H. E., II., 30) gives a similar account, and adds, that, for a long period, everybody avoided with horror the spot on which Arias died, until a rich Arian bought the place of the public, and built a house on the site, that there might be no perpetual memorial of his death.
Source: http://www.earlychurch.org.uk/arianism.php

Saint Alexander was sent to the First Ecumenical Council in Nicaea as the delegate of Saint Metrophanes, Bishop of Constantinople (see June 4), to whose throne he succeeded in the year 325. When Arius had deceitfully professed allegiance to the Council of Nicaea, Saint Alexander, knowing his guile, refused to receive him into communion; Arius' powerful partisans threatened that they would use force to bring Arius into the communion of the Church the following day. Saint Alexander prayed fervently that God might spare the Church; and as Arius was in a privy place relieving nature, his bowels gushed forth with an effusion of blood, and the arch-heresiarch died the death of Judas.
Source: http://www.goarch.org/chapel/saints/183

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 02:20:54 PM by HandmaidenofGod »
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline Orthodoc

• Archon
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 02:40:05 PM »

I thought that, with the exception of specified clergy, men are forbidden to wear hats (or any other head coverings) in Church.

Orthodoc

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • St. Chrysostomos the New
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 02:45:05 PM »

I thought that, with the exception of specified clergy, men are forbidden to wear hats (or any other head coverings) in Church.

Orthodoc

Maybe they were all tonsured chanters or readers and that was part of their vestment back then.
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 02:48:19 PM »

Singers and Readers are clergy.

Offline Orthodoc

• Archon
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 03:03:28 PM »

Singers and Readers are clergy.

Main reason for asking was kind of personal.  Without getting away from the subject matter, maybe one of the clergy (or some one who knows the answer) can comment on this question -

As some one who has gone through two bouts with cancer, I often wonder that if, God forbid, the cancer comes back and I have to go though chemo I WOULD lose my hair.  During that time period would I be allowed to wear a covering while in Church.  Once my hair was all out it wouldn't both me to appaer with a bald head but it would while the prosses was going on.

Sorry for getting off topic.  Fathers what do you have to say about this?

Orthodoc

P.S.  I'm in remission.  Thanks to God!

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • St. Chrysostomos the New
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 03:11:47 PM »
Perhaps you could just shave your head preemptively if you are not bothered to appear bald.  Or perhaps find an inexpensive wig.  If either of those solutions was for some reason untenable, if I were your priest, I'd let you come up with some sort of alternative covering solution. Let's pray that your remission continues!
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline SoleRedemption

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 03:28:15 PM »

Because Christ told us how to get rid of them. We are to speak to them in love and truth.

Matt 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

Where there is light, darkness cannot exist. Therefore, by shining our light before them they will either want to become part of the light, or will flee from it further into the darkness.

Checkmate, Orthodox!

You really think those are costumes worth bragging about?

As the 60 Minutes interview with His All Holiness on Dec 20, 2009 clearly showed (http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6001717n&tag=contentBody;housing ), the Ecumenical Patriarch is under constant threat of attack. He has 24 hour security protecting him; they just don't dress in funny suits. ;)

Eh. I for one am all for more dapper uniforms for the guards of His All Holiness. It would be the true Byzantine way to do it.

Offline GammaRay

• The Awful Preacher
  • High Elder
  • Alexandros Papadiamantis
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 05:21:10 PM »
^ LOL! :D
Top that Vatican City!
Was that an intentional pun? :laugh:
Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 05:24:03 PM »

I retract my third "unanswerable" question. Those hats are beyond compare!

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 06:47:41 PM »
... Those hats are beyond compare!
In my small mission parish, three of us - all males - serve as chanters and choir. Where can I order choir vestments like those? The sight would likely draw a crowd much bigger than we usually see  ;D!

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 09:11:37 PM »
What did those hats mean? Does anyone know?

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +

Offline yochanan

• Arch-laity of the Room of Supreme Awesomeness
  • O majestic aurora, how seeming did He fashion you!
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 12:27:30 AM »

::)

Who is this man?
"It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us..." (Acts 15: 28)

Offline Myrrh23

• OC.net guru
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 01:35:50 AM »

Checkmate, Orthodox!

I suppose you want these colors in Orthodoxy, too? ;)  Catholicism: They have the Holy Spirit...in Technicolor! :D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 01:37:31 AM by Myrrh23 »
*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator

Offline Cymbyz

• Elder
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 03:39:53 AM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!  Catholic Mod.  Pope Benedict would have a conniption!
The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen

Offline Liz

• High Elder
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2010, 10:48:55 AM »

'CAUSE OUR BISHOPS ARE STRONGER AND DON'T NEED PROTECTION! 8)
[/quote]

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 10:49:22 AM by Liz »