Author Topic: Western rite church in Kansas City Area?  (Read 3057 times)

Offline mersch

• Elder
  • Faith: Christian
Western rite church in Kansas City Area?
« on: November 30, 2009, 01:19:51 PM »
Is there one? Does anyone know where the closest would be?  Thank You. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! :)  (Pass the turkey on please, LOL)

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
Re: Western rite church in Kansas City Area?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 01:49:40 PM »
In checking westernriteorthodox.com and orthodoxyinamerica.org, it does not appear that there are any Western Rite parishes in MO. Perhaps you could start a mission?
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline Monk Cyprian

• Hooray! I'm useful!
    • St John of Shanghai Orthodox Mission
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 01:52:48 PM »
Well, there is:

Saint Michael the Archangel Mission
The Rev. Fr. John Flora
Meeting at: the chapel of St. George Cathedral
7515 East 13th
Wichita, KS 67206
Phone: (316) 734-6248

I guess it all depends on which Kansas City one is talking about.

I get that all the time, having to explain which Vancouver I'm from.  :)
Was it Divine Liturgy in English in XIXth Century Russia?  No, it was not I am the telling you!  Is OUTRAGE!  Now is to be Slavonic music and Byzantine vestment in same church. This is what when KGB run the seminary.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 02:06:52 PM »
Wichita isn't anywhere near Kansas City!  The other closest one is in Omaha.  Looks like you'll have to settle for one of our seven or eight Eastern Rite parishes in Kansas City.

Offline mersch

• Elder
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 05:14:12 PM »
LOL, I live in a suburb of the Kansas City Area on the Kansas Side (the state line is 3 miles from my house, so I don't live in Mo. but DO live in the KC Metro area).Thank You. Wichita is closer than Omaha.  And it would be kind of hard for me to start a mission here I think, since I haven't officially converted yet!  (And there are several Orthodox churches here already, just none of the western rite that I've been able to find-wanted to take Mom to one)

Offline Altar Server

• High Elder
  • Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 09:45:46 PM »
If you wanted to start one you would need to talk to the Antiochians the only ones in the area with the westen rite let me know if you decide to :)

peace

David
All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!

Offline mersch

• Elder
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 02:18:44 PM »
If you wanted to start one you would need to talk to the Antioch's the only ones in the area with the Western rite let me know if you decide to :)

peace

David

Dear Alter Server,

You made my day! :) :)  I can't start an Western Rite Church!!  Reason #1)I'm only off a weekend a month, arggh (had a 2nd job that allowed me to be off on weekends, but alas it wasn't meant to last very long, so back to my old 2nd  job.)  Reason #2)Hence why I haven't been able to officially convert yet -work 12  hour shifts sat and sun. Miss both services!except for once a month.  Reason #3) There are several Orthodox churches here in KC Metro area already. Reason #4)  Wouldn't you have to be a Priest or at least a Deacon to start an Orthodox church? I'm female   :)  I was just curious if there was a Western Rite one here, to take my Mom to, Wichita would be a good road trip for me take her on when I have one of my weekends off. We could make a weekend trip out of it. She's Catholic, over and done with services in 45 minutes or less, she tried one of the orthodox services here and had to leave 'cause of the length-wasn't really a place for her to sit, hence my inquiry. But as she said- they seemed "pretty Catholic to me"  LOL God lover her!

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 02:39:43 PM »
Dear Alter Server,

You made my day! :) :)  I can't start an Western Rite Church!!  Reason #1)I'm only off a weekend a month, arggh (had a 2nd job that allowed me to be off on weekends, but alas it wasn't meant to last very long, so back to my old 2nd  job.)  Reason #2)Hence why I haven't been able to officially convert yet -work 12  hour shifts sat and sun. Miss both services!except for once a month.  Reason #3) There are several Orthodox churches here in KC Metro area already. Reason #4)  Wouldn't you have to be a Priest or at least a Deacon to start an Orthodox church? I'm female   :)

None of those reasons would actually stop you from starting a mission.

1) You wouldn't do it on your own but with the help of the Bishop and other individuals interested in a WR parish. Most mission parishes only start off with one service a month. Also, you would have other people helping you.

2) Trust me, a city can support more Orthodox parish's than you may realize. :)

3) Just because you're female doesn't mean you can't approach the Bishop about starting a mission.

Let me tell you a quick story about an Orthodox church in Helena, GA.

Helena, GA is about two hours outside of Macon in Central Georgia. It is in the middle of nowhere. The town is about as "Old South" as they come, with little ethnic influx.

One of the residents of Helena (a born and bred Southern Baptist) had a grown son who happened to be traveling through the Jacksonville, FL airport one day. While waiting for his flight, he picked up a book about the Early Church Fathers. This led him to studying about the Orthodox Church. He became convinced that he had to become Orthodox, which convinced his Southern Baptist mother & father that he was joining a cult and in need of prayers for his salvation! lol

Well, the Lord works in mysterious ways.

Eventually, the man was able to convince his parents that indeed, he was not joining a cult, and that they too should join the Orthodox Church.

By the grace of God they were all chrismated in an Orthodox parish in Macon a few years ago. While this was all well and good, Macon was a two hour ride for these folks making going to church difficult.

So the son was tonsured a reader, and with the blessing of his Bishop, began hosting reader services in his parents home every Sunday. His parents went around the small town of Helena proclaiming to their neighbors the good news of Orthodoxy! The church grew to 10 people, and then grew again to the point that they were able to rent a small building and have a priest come once a week for Liturgy.

Now they have about 50 people in their small mission! All because of a little book in a Jacksonville airport.

Although the parish technically falls under the OCA, because of their remote location, they have priests from all different jurisdictions visiting them on a monthly basis.

You can see their website here: http://www.scahoca.com/

So take heart, just because you're one person doesn't mean you can't start a parish. Although you are a catechumen today, one day you will be chrismated. And who knows what doors the Lord will open up then!

In XC,

Maureen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11