Author Topic: Female Altar Servers??  (Read 50499 times)

Offline Lepanto

• Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
Re: Female Altar Servers??
« Reply #450 on: August 11, 2017, 11:52:25 AM »
I have a question on the consequences: Exactly what would it mean if female altar servers were permitted?
What would it mean for the liturgy? What harm would it effectively do?
Mind I do not want to advocate female priesthood or anything, just curios what you think what kind of problems it would cause in real life.

But if you read the posts of the thread and look at the pictures posted there, you will see that female altar servers actually exist.
The best way is to ask the parishes that have female altar servers ;)

Really? I was under the impression that apart from very few exceptions (maybe some women´s monasteries), the altar was generally off limits for women.
Or were you referring to the picture with the Matushka, so to say a joke?

No, I was serious. There are female servers in some Antiochian parishes, including cathedrals. I think i remember seeing one in a Polish parish. And even beyond being an altar server, women do some their stuff, like carrying churhc ensing during processions, holding candles etc. Such things happen even in Russian parishes.

Ah ok, I guess I had a wrong conception of the word "altar server". I was assuming that, among other things, it entitled the person in question to access the other side of the iconostasis.
You know, because "altar server" contains the word "altar". Now, holding candles indeed does not seem to pose a problem.
Sorry, I do not know so much about Orthodox practices.
una cum famulo tuo Papa nostro et Antistite nostro et omnibus orthodoxis atque catholicæ et apostolicæ fidei cultoribus

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #451 on: August 11, 2017, 11:54:14 AM »
I have a question on the consequences: Exactly what would it mean if female altar servers were permitted?
Mind I do not want to advocate female priesthood or anything, just curios what you think what kind of problems it would cause in real life.

Considering St. Gregory N.'s sainted mother died clinging to the altar, perhaps the "problem" would be more great women saints for the Church.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #452 on: August 11, 2017, 12:10:43 PM »

Considering St. Gregory N.'s sainted mother died clinging to the altar, perhaps the "problem" would be more great women saints for the Church.

Good point.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #453 on: August 11, 2017, 12:34:30 PM »

I love that!

Afterall, they were crowned together in matrimony, and I'm certain she supported him and encouraged him, and is a vital part of his ministry, and success.
+1

+2

+3

I would approve of a service to bless and consecrate Matushkas/Presbyteras, which could follow or be  inserted into the ordinarion liturgy of their husband.

Would be a pleasant bit of farce, if you ask me. It's not as tho these women are being chosen on their own merits. Therefore, it buries the question of why women's "ordainable" merits are not in the person of the woman herself acceptable offerings to the Church. As I alluded to before, there are religious movements in which it is held that the wife is saved by her husband's spiritual merits as long as she is faithful (Christian fundamentalist, altho Hindu fundamentalism teaches the same thing most explicitly). This is not orthodox, and any ritual that bears any similar message (in this case, that the ordination of a man is what can devolve to a woman) I very much doubt would be orthodox either.

Good point.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.