OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 12:01:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should children be spanked?
Absolutely yes! - 33 (18.8%)
In some cases, yes. - 80 (45.5%)
Maybe. - 13 (7.4%)
No, probably not. - 20 (11.4%)
Absolutely not! - 30 (17%)
Total Voters: 176

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spanking - Yea or Nay?  (Read 55374 times) Average Rating: 3
Santagranddad
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #495 on: September 06, 2013, 03:46:31 PM »

First problem, define spank?

A blow of how much force?
Hand, fist or instrument?
To which site upon the child?
Administered only when the adult is NOT in a temper?

Spank: to deliver a blow to the gluteus maximus muscle with the open hand traveling at approximately 200 ft/s for the purpose of meteing discipline to a child between the ages of 2 and 8.

I love the very specific definition. How anyone might gauge that their hand is travelling at 200 feet per sec or thereabouts beats me. Secondly I know spanking means different things to different people and some of those 'different' things worry me a lot.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #496 on: September 06, 2013, 03:46:49 PM »

Spank: to deliver a blow to the gluteus maximus muscle with the open hand traveling at approximately 200 ft/s for the purpose of meteing discipline to a child between the ages of 2 and 8.

What about data sets?  Graphs?  I need to visualize the math.  What would be an optimal starting distance from target?

TheTrisagion
Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #497 on: September 06, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »

What about data sets?  Graphs?  I need to visualize the math.  What would be an optimal starting distance from target?

Here is the graph.  Geez!  Do I have to do all the work for you?  I thought you were a parent, you should have all this calculated out already.  Where did you get your parental certificate?  Angry

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
TheTrisagion
Protokentarchos

« Reply #498 on: September 06, 2013, 03:55:39 PM »

If you are having difficulties measuring your spanking speed, I recommend your contact this company.  They were absolutely invaluable for me!

http://www.sportsmotion.com/

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #499 on: September 06, 2013, 04:45:20 PM »

Here is the graph.  Geez!  Do I have to do all the work for you?  I thought you were a parent, you should have all this calculated out already.  Where did you get your parental certificate?  Angry

Not I, said the cat.  Although I was spanked quite often by my parents, for being a bit of a problem child.  Understanding the physics and calculation behind it all is fascinating. 

TheTrisagion
Protokentarchos

« Reply #500 on: September 06, 2013, 05:21:01 PM »

My bad.  I was mistaken.  Well, if you ever do have the opportunity to have some cherubs of your own, now you know the science behind it.  Grin

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #501 on: September 07, 2013, 12:17:27 PM »

Spanking speeds?

This thread is at the top of my "Updates" list. Can I end it already, please?

Or is that going to cause more spanking?

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 12:20:44 PM by rakovsky » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #502 on: September 09, 2013, 02:24:41 PM »

I love the very specific definition. How anyone might gauge that their hand is travelling at 200 feet per sec or thereabouts beats me. Secondly I know spanking means different things to different people and some of those 'different' things worry me a lot.

Cheesy

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #503 on: September 09, 2013, 02:27:23 PM »

I think it's better to interpret "spare the rod, spoil the child", not meaning that you must beat with a rod, but rather that discipline is necessary.  Over the years, I have observed that most of the children who behave very badly in church (loud screaming and tantrums that can't be calmed) are from families who do not spank their kids (or perhaps their discipline in general was lax or inconsistent).

I grew up in a family where rare spankings were given with a wooden spoon, however, I quit spanking our son when he was about 5 years old after observing that the spankings were not changing his behavior, and were not creating any remorse, they were only making him angry.  So we switched to time-outs and removing privileges.

My son-in-law has a unique method of discipline that works very well.  When the boys, 7 & 8 years old, misbehave they have to do pushups.  Usually it's 10 pushups, but once for a bad offense 100 were prescribed.  The boys cooperate very well with this and it's also providing benefit to their bodies.  It's discipline you can use in public (because of course kids easily take advantage of a situation where there can be no punishment), raises a few eyebrows, but can't be labeled child abuse.  The kids appreciate this, because it gets the punishment out of the way, is much preferred to a long time-out.  My son-in-law also used this technique to great effect when teaching at an all boys high school.  He allowed his students to choose push-ups instead of demerits for misbehavior.

That push up idea is phenomenal.  Running laps could be used as well, I'd bet.  If I ever accidentally have any children, I shall be sure to try out your bro-in-law's method.

My uncle had an effective method as well.  One time my little cousin was being a turd at the restaurant and my aunt gave up and told him to deal with it.  He leaned over, whispered something, and that was that.  Perfect little cherub for the rest of dinner.  Eventually I had to know, so I asked.  He told him that if he didn't shut up immediately and stay shut up, he was going to take every toy and stuft animal at home, pile them up on the lawn, and then burn them and make him watch.   Cheesy

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #504 on: September 09, 2013, 02:28:53 PM »

Cheesy

I'm sure there were delicate and highly accurate measuring devices.  Lasers and radars and such.

Santagranddad
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #505 on: September 09, 2013, 03:05:16 PM »

I think it's better to interpret "spare the rod, spoil the child", not meaning that you must beat with a rod, but rather that discipline is necessary.  Over the years, I have observed that most of the children who behave very badly in church (loud screaming and tantrums that can't be calmed) are from families who do not spank their kids (or perhaps their discipline in general was lax or inconsistent).

I grew up in a family where rare spankings were given with a wooden spoon, however, I quit spanking our son when he was about 5 years old after observing that the spankings were not changing his behavior, and were not creating any remorse, they were only making him angry.  So we switched to time-outs and removing privileges.

My son-in-law has a unique method of discipline that works very well.  When the boys, 7 & 8 years old, misbehave they have to do pushups.  Usually it's 10 pushups, but once for a bad offense 100 were prescribed.  The boys cooperate very well with this and it's also providing benefit to their bodies.  It's discipline you can use in public (because of course kids easily take advantage of a situation where there can be no punishment), raises a few eyebrows, but can't be labeled child abuse.  The kids appreciate this, because it gets the punishment out of the way, is much preferred to a long time-out.  My son-in-law also used this technique to great effect when teaching at an all boys high school.  He allowed his students to choose push-ups instead of demerits for misbehavior.

That push up idea is phenomenal.  Running laps could be used as well, I'd bet.  If I ever accidentally have any children, I shall be sure to try out your bro-in-law's method.

My uncle had an effective method as well.  One time my little cousin was being a turd at the restaurant and my aunt gave up and told him to deal with it.  He leaned over, whispered something, and that was that.  Perfect little cherub for the rest of dinner.  Eventually I had to know, so I asked.  He told him that if he didn't shut up immediately and stay shut up, he was going to take every toy and stuft animal at home, pile them up on the lawn, and then burn them and make him watch.   Cheesy

I also have used push ups to good effect, in fact it had two benefits of which the second was to correct a lumbar lordosis which a paediatrician told us he could offer no treatment for. So now one 6' 5'' man with size 16 feet has a back as straight as any marine.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #506 on: October 17, 2013, 08:18:13 PM »

Our daughter is almost 15.  When she was little we spanked her for any direct defiance or disobedience.  We taught her contentedness in small things and to be satisfied with simplicity.  We also homeschool.

I came in off the land today, and she made me some baked apples and fresh pizza.   Smiley

NEVER ONE TIME has she once back talked my wife or I.  She has no interest in makeup.  She has no interest in fashions or jewelry.  She can destroy me in bible trivia.

She has several like minded friends too.   I over hear the teenage conversations some times.... It's not about boys or gossip.  It's about canning, new bunnies born, goats & farming, and sewing stitch types etc. etc.   

....I'm unworthy to have a daughter like her. 

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: